Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze Deals (NIRL Edition)

Options
  • 04-05-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Might as well get it started now :pac:

Sainsbury's
    Smirnoff/Gordons 700ml £13
    Grants 1L £16
    Southern Comfort 1L £18
    Bombay Saphire Gin 1L £21

Heineken 5% 12x330ml bottles £9
    Heineken 5% 15x440ml £14
    Sol 330mlx12 £8
    Corona 12x330ml £9
    Kopperberg Mixed Fruit 10x330 £10
    Estralla 10x330ml £10
    Carling 18x440ml £12
    Fosters 18x440ml £13
    Stella 18x440ml £16

ASDA
    Russian Standard 700ml £13
    Smirnoff, Gordons, Famous Grouse 1L £16

Heineken 650ml £2 4 for 3
    WKD 700ml 2 for £5.50
    San Maguel 12x330ml £9
    Corona 10x330ml (cans) £10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Only 7 months and counting before the boards day trips commence. ;).
    Let's hope the exchange rate is a bit better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Now that inter county travel is sound down here, just wondering if there are any restrictions in place for heading into NI.
    Thanks.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Now that inter county travel is sound down here, just wondering if there are any restrictions in place for heading into NI.
    Thanks.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Can you still pay in Euro at Sainsbury and Asda? What is the exchange rate like?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FAE_UCH

I see Tesco Uk has good Clubcard prices. Does the southern Tesco clubcard work if not can i get a UK clubcard instore or does it have to be posted to a northern address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

deep1 wrote: »
    Can you still pay in Euro at Sainsbury and Asda? What is the exchange rate like?
    Asda definitely take Euros and Id imagine Sainsburys would be the same. From memory Asda set their exchange rate the same as the banks on a Monday and normally retained that for a week.

FAE_UCH wrote: »
    I see Tesco Uk has good Clubcard prices. Does the southern Tesco clubcard work if not can i get a UK clubcard instore or does it have to be posted to a northern address?
    I dont know but Boots will allow ROI customers to get a UK card as the card here cant be used in NI.

Maybe send an email to Tesco UK to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

My ROI card does not work in the North. Just pick up an application on the day to validate the purchase. Your not collecting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Sainsburys from today to 31st may
    buy 6 or more wines get 25% off
    includes champagne etc

• Advertisement

Tesco doing same 25% off 6+ with a clubcard but not sure if an Irish Clubcard would work up North.
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/buylists/summer/wines?icid=dchp_c1_25off6_wine_wk13

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This weekend is a bank holiday up there. Some deals...

Sainsburys
    Heineken 5% 12x330ml bottles £8
    WKD Blue 10x275ml £10
    Jack Daniels/Jack Daniels Honey 700ml £16
    Jagermeister 700ml £17
    Smirnoff/Gordons/Bacardi 1L £17
    Absolut 1L £21

Bud/Bud Light 15x300ml bottles £8
    Estrella Dram 12x330ml bottles £12
    Corona 18x330ml £14

Tesco (Clubcard prices, Irish clubcard will not work, register here for UK
    https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/ )

Magners 10x440ml £6
    San Miguel 10x440ml £9
    Bud Light 15x440ml £9
    Heineken 15x440ml £10

Russian Standard/Captain Morgan/Bacardi/Gordons/Famous Grouse 700ml £13
    Gordons/Smirnoff/Captain Morgan/Whyte & McKay 1L £16
    Southern Comfort 1L £18
    Absolut 1L £20
    Jagermeister 1L £22
    Jameson 1L £25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Didn't think they did in-store temporary cards any more. Online it says to get a clubcard:
    "You can apply online and print off a temporary card, or through the app. Either way you can start collecting points straight away."
    But you need a uk address.

However you can fudge it by using a gmail account that's set up as a uk account, then you can download the app. Clubcard stored on the app so you can scan from your phone.

M

tscul32 wrote: »
    Didn't think they did in-store temporary cards any more. Online it says to get a clubcard:
    "You can apply online and print off a temporary card, or through the app. Either way you can start collecting points straight away."
    But you need a uk address.

However you can fudge it by using a gmail account that's set up as a uk account, then you can download the app. Clubcard stored on the app so you can scan from your phone.

Yes I think you are right, it's so long since I was up there I thought they followed the old system, here's a link to the new process...

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭wassie

Tesco Club Card ROI hasn't been accepted in the North for some time and you can do as tscul32 says easily enough.

As Whiskey sale prices in Tescos north offer huge savings over the ROI, I wanted a clubcard. But I also wanted the physical card so I signed to UK Tesco Clubcard using the An Post Addresspal UK Virtual address service to get my card physical card delivered. Obviously have to pay the €6.50 fee for delivery by An Post, but saved that back and more in a single whiskey purchase, plus you get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just back from Sainsbury's in Newry where they have 25% of selected wines if you buy 6 bottles.

I got Freixnet prosecco which is €20 in my local supermarket for £8.50 less 25%

Also got a litre of Bombay Sapphire for £18

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-champagne-sparkling-freixenet-prosecco-75-cl-/p-1728314000

M

With MAP have to move in to northern waters from 4th January. I guess 440ml is the new 500ml...

Sainsburys

Heineken Premium Lager Beer Cans 15x440ml £14

Coors Lager 18x440ml £16

San Miguel Premium Lager Beer 10x440ml £9

Strongbow Original Cider Can 12x440ml £8

Grant's Triple Wood Blended Scotch Whisky 1L £16

Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 70cl £14

Bell's Blended Scotch Whisky 70cl £13

Gordon's London Dry Gin 70cl £14

Kopparberg Cherry Fruit Cider 10x330ml £10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I can't see any real savings unless you are near the border itself.

Dublin to Newry - near 3 hours round trip.

Approx 250km = 17 litres fuel = €28

Time - even if you rushed it and no delays and ran in and out - 3.5 hours.

You'd then buy far more than you'd need "to make it worthwhile" and then you'd probably have all the mates in and they will no doubt love the generosity of all the free beer / vodka.

End result - costing way way more than staying local and buying just what you need.

Scotland has not seen a rush across the border to England, Wales has not seen a rush across the border to England and we won't see a rush across the border here either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭wassie

Agree there wont be any 'rushing' because if anyone is traveling a fair distance, it will be for a high volume shop less often. And most people probably cant be bothered.

But it does depend on ones own circumstances and drinking habits. I enjoy quality drinks and I've made more than that in savings buying 2 good single malts alone in Newry last year.

Now I have added incentive to buy all my wine & beer when I make a trip. For me I probably only need to do that trip 3-4 times a year to make big savings and I reasonably expect to save a couple of hundred euro in that time. But to be fair, I make it a shopping day to get the most value and I am probably an outlier in that regard.

I think its safe to assume most off-licences close to the border will take a hit.

M

I'd probably do 3-4 trips a year now with MUP when my existing stock runs out, these will be done when discounts are offered in the mainstream supermarkets, usually Easter, the first and last UK bank holidays in Summer, Halloween and Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

This could be a very useful topic.

Hopefully tesco or some others could build an alcohol hyper market at the border of the M1, kinda like the French have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Add another tenner for tolls on M50 and M1 at Drogheda as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭championc

Not if you drive an electric - the the fuel cost is feck all too :)

Sell a few bottles of gin or whiskey to one or two of your mates and you'll soon be quids in.

Maybe not you, but theres a lot of people right now, doing the sums on this right now. Put enough fuel in the tank of the van for a one way trip to Newry, fuel is cheaper there, fill the van with as much as you can sell mates-rates, and a serious profit can be made.

for example, £16 for a litre of Gordons in Tesco in Newry, with the exchange rate is 19.5E. Tesco in Galway sell the same bottle today for 34E.

When MUP was originally proposed, it was thought we would synchronise bringing in the law with NI too. Stormont couldn't agree on the colour yellow. So unsurprisingly it didnt happen, so I expect an exodus to Newry for booze deals.

And here's to hoping they don't proceed with it once they see the business roll in.

Nice to see the Government here doing all they can to kill businesses off the past two years.

And they'll still be voted back in I'd bet.

Democracy isn't the utopia we are led to believe when we see things come in there's no way the majority would ever support.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At what point will your booze load in the car/van be considered smuggling?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As soon as you start selling it for a profit. Even selling it at cost might go beyond Revenue's consideration of what is personal use.

There are guideline limits, below which it's automatically assumed it's for personal use. Exceed those guideline limits though and you have to prove it's for personal use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where do you see the gordons for £16? is this some clubcard price? the current €34 is above MUP, most tesco stuff increased to well above MUP. Gordons & smirnoff & capt. morgans all tend to go on offer in tesco at the same time, every month or 2 they used to drop to €25 or €20 per litre. So I expect they will drop in a month or so to MUP which is €29.59. The gordons litre I see on tesco.com is £20.50 (€24.55)

Advertisement