Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nixer income

Options
  • 28-03-2024 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering the best way to declare a 1 off nixer income as someone is wanting me to do a job for them outside of my work but I need to figure out if it will be more hassle than it's worth. The value of the work would be below 1000 and is just for my labour, I don't want to register for vat or need an accountant is there a way I can just tell revenue I earned 900 in some way and they can adjust my PAYE tax to cover it. Would it be that simple or is there more to it thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

You can declare additional income through MyAccount - https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Paye tax return (Form12), section 3 non paye income, trading profit.

So long as the additional income is below €5,000 you can declare it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

hey, came here to post a pretty similar question so will ask on thi s thread..

A friend completed some freelance work in 2023. As the money was less than 5000 I just told them to include the money on my revenue.

The thought just occurred to me can they deduct expenses from the total received?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on the expenses. Legit business expenses other than motoring can be deducted. Motoring is an utter hideous mess and basically unclaimable on Form 12.

The "claim your laptop and broadband and phone" advice given by dodgy recruiters for contract jobs definitely does not apply to Form 12, or anything actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

That advice would be in respect of a self employed individual operating via a limited company and would have the limited company/employer reimbursing the cost of business expenses from sales invoices generated by the contractor

You are correct, it doesn't go on a form 12

The income under 5k (profit) after expenses is the value to be taxed on in the form 12

• Advertisement
Advertisement