Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight training and road bike training

Options
  • 11-04-2021 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Anyone here combining or did combine back squats with road bike training ?
    With the different muscle fibres, type 1 and 2, was there any gains and what were they. I appreciate that it would probably have been done over the winter and most people are just on the bike now. What were the results.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's a back Squat?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's a back Squat?

The bar is behind your neck on your shoulders, a back squat as opposed to the bar being held across your shoulders to the front.

Long time replying to this! :) But, for what it's worth, I've been doing these squats now for a couple of months as part of a winter training weights routine. Can't comment yet really on any improvements because so far I've found that it absolutely tears the legs off you for cycling! When I go out for my regular training rides my legs are in bits after the squats. Presumably, as time goes on, and with better recovery I'll see some cycling strength gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Same here but it's not as noticeable if squats are done post cycle when already fatigued

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'm mixing in a fair whack of kettlebells. I'd started following a structured program with 3-4 workouts per week and rest days. Not super intense that you're crippled with DOMS constantly, but enough to know you're doing it. I'm tending to mix 2 workouts into my weeks bike activities at the minute.

It's aiming to work out all sorts of muscles in every session, so I am feeling the benefit in legs, core and shoulders (less tendency for soreness after 3+ hours)

• Advertisement

Jeez. First time back in the gym yesterday after a 3 week break - 2 weeks of it cycling in Majorca and the week we were back I didn't want to do the gym in advance of the Randonnee.

Quite amazing how you lose what you don't use. I'm noticeably weaker after the lay out and much sorer after the workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Listendernow

I do both but mostly just for losing weight. I clock in about 200km a week on the pedals and I just have a freeweight program made up by a trainer friend of mine that I follow. Works fairly well for getting myself out of the rut I've been stuck in since forever. Wouldn't know how well it would work if you wanted to cycle and also build a bunch of lean muscle mass.

Edit: For the record, the current results are I was 132kg, I'm now 122kg. I'm about 6'3 and male and I've been doing it maybe 2 or 3 months now.

End of October now, so that's me 3 days a week in the gym for 14 months!

The mirror results could be viewed as disheartening. Like, I'd probably have to tell you I'd been in the gym, cos it's not self-evident. The scales readings are also gone the wrong way and my cycling has gotten worse of late cos I'm heavier in the hills. A couple of years ago I was routinely checking in at 11 stone but I could hardly open a bag of crisps. Now I'm 12 at least.

But I'm not completely unhappy with the results, I really enjoy the gym and I love the fact that the results are linear - you do get stronger, simple as.

I need to get a handle on my food intake though. A small consistent change would make all the difference. But, y'know, I'm not beating myself up about it too much, you gotta fuel for the gym too and I'm just delighted with my gym attendance consistency, as well as doing a couple of turbo sessions a week and one long spin the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Are lads continuing gym work through the racing season?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not me, 4 month winter programme ended mid March.

It all depends on your goals & free time. It’s hard to balance training load from gym and bike correctly with racing 2/3 weeks a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I do one session a week which excludes leg work as I found it hampered all bike progress.

So my routine is 15 - 20 mins of stretching and core. Then 20-30 mins of upper body weight training which is normally bench press, shoulder press, dumbell bent over rows, lat pulldown.

I made good progress with the squat over 5 months into end of Feb. I reduced it to maintenance with something like 3 * 5 @ 80% 1rep max, still impacted hard bike sessions so dropped it.

Advertisement