Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks?

Options

Comments

DesF wrote: »
    I moved servers like that.

I was thanking everyone.

I really hope my thanking privileges haven't been revoked. :(
    maybe having a "thanks" in a locked thread has stuffed it for you?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I moved servers like that.

I was thanking everyone.

I really hope my thanking privileges haven't been revoked. :(
    I've removed two peoples thanking ability who were going overboard.

No ability to disable it yourself as of yet, no need to be a jerk about it though :)

It's a good idea. It can already be disabled per forum, etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

CuLT wrote: »

No ability to disable it yourself as of yet, no need to be a jerk about it though :)

Maybe there should be a thank bank thing? Like you can only give 5 thanks a day or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is one of them me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

It's a good idea. It can already be disabled per forum, etc.

Dude we were testing for you also under the user name on the left it should probably say "Thanked" the grammer nazi's will have you. Sonic hand with thumbs up on the icon yea nice work keep it up champ.

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a thank bank thing? Like you can only give 5 thanks a day or something?
    That's also built-in, might be worthwhile enabling too, remains to be seen if people can avoid being childish about the whole thing :)

Is one of them me?
    Yep, re-enabled now, just showing that it's easy enough to moderate!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its gonna go through a pacman phase anyway.

:pac: wokawokawokawokawokawoka

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

this is really annoying, is there any way you could add an option to not be able to see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Great idea Thanks.

Who is gonna be the biggest thanker on Boards? :pac:

• Advertisement

yayamark wrote: »
    Great idea Thanks.

Who is gonna be the biggest thanker on Boards? :pac:
    Not sure, but one of the contenders had his thanking right temporararily(sp??) revoked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Cult, I'll pay you to turn this feature off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Cheer up, Boston. Have some thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm not sure I see the point of it tbh...

I suggested this in another thread CULT, but do you think rather than the thanks thing, it's possible to implement a post rating system, and then organise the posts in the thread by rating?

I guess the thanks thing is the same..... Will there be an option while you're viewing a thread to click 'sort posts by thanks'? I'd prefer 'sort posts by rating', but I guess the thanks thing is similar.

What ye think? It would be dead handy for rating information, etc.

ed: This is my original thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

please turn add an option to turn this off or remove the "thanked by" under the users posts.

cheers

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'm not sure I see the point of it tbh...

I suggested this in another thread CULT, but do you think rather than the thanks thing, it's possible to implement a post rating system, and then organise the posts in the thread by rating?

I guess the thanks thing is the same..... Will there be an option while you're viewing a thread to click 'sort posts by thanks'? I'd prefer 'sort posts by rating', but I guess the thanks thing is similar.

What ye think? It would be dead handy for rating information, etc.

ed: This is my original thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214457
    Not a bad idea, I would only object on the idea of "rating", because that means you can have posts rated as useless as well as super helpful and that is likely to tick a lot of people off.
    Edit: rating a thread down is not nearly as "personal" as rating a post down.

If you're not specifcally thanked for a post, it's no big deal.

It might be a bit of a strain on the hardware to calculate that sort of thing on the fly across a slice of nine million posts though.

Kinda curious how you don't see the point of "thanks" but then suggest this "rating" system which is virtually the same in all but name :)

There is a thread rating system already which, when use, works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not a bad idea, I would only object on the idea of "rating", because that means you can have posts rated as useless as well as super helpful and that is likely to tick a lot of people off.
    Edit: rating a thread down is not nearly as "personal" as rating a post down.

If you're not specifcally thanked for a post, it's no big deal.

It might be a bit of a strain on the hardware to calculate that sort of thing on the fly across a slice of nine million posts though.

Kinda curious how you don't see the point of "thanks" but then suggest this "rating" system which is virtually the same in all but name :)
    Well I just find the 'thanks' thing a bit tokenistic rather than useful; if it were used in the manner I mentioned (ie. able to organise posts in a thread according to how many 'thanks' they got), then yeah it's the same thing really!

I went into a bit more detail in that other thread......

Boston wrote: »
    Sometimes you get a thread full of shite then one post has the answer or whatever, that poster can be thanked!

I see what you did there with the thanks-spamming, no more thanks for Boston.

• Advertisement

And i had a script and everything read to go
    Probably a good thing I disabled you then. Gosh though if one of the real admins saw that post you'd probably be sitebanned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

0o

Now we both know I wasn't serious about using it, or I would have, however it plus what I did manually shows a major flaw with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Hennessy

Cult,

In the user CP you can now search for thanks you have given and the opposite. Seems borked. FYI and all that.

Now we both know I wasn't serious about using it, or I would have, however it plus what I did manually shows a major flaw with this.
    Well god knows Boston, you could have PM'd me.

Patched it anyway, thanks per day limit is now in place!
    Hennessy wrote: »
    Cult,

In the user CP you can now search for thanks you have given and the opposite. Seems borked. FYI and all that.

Seems to be working as intended, could you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Hennessy wrote: »
    Cult,

I gave you another "Thanks" to play around with so you can double check your findings.

Don't thank me for it, it was my pleasure. :)

Oh yea, sure I'll remember for next time.

Why are people thanking me. Its freaking me out more then a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This serves some sort of purpose?

Makes everything look ugly and just promotes silliness and popularity contests.

no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It seems like fun, but is there an option to remove the seperate bar at the bottom of the post which indicates who thanked who? It kinda breaks the feel of the forum, like oversized sigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Patched it anyway, thanks per day limit is now in place!

It's badly needed and don't have them carry over from day to day. Putting a price on them/making them more scarce might rein in the worst of the abuse.

Advertisement