Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Hi all,

This is a great thread - it is a wonderful read and it is mighty to see the pictures of a place where many a fabulous summer was had.

I'm looking for any pictures that might exist of the Church of Ireland church that used to stand on Boyles Car Park.

all the best,

kesey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

hi kesey! more fresh meat for the thread! yeahhh

I am only a blow in here. Lived here for 4 years, and came here for about 6 years before that on summer hols with wife & kids, but I have never seen a COI church in Ballyb. I will find out about it though, and send a pic of the site as it is now.....wherever it might be.

I wonder if thats the old church on Sandhill road (that is now a library), or if its that old church that used to be close to the castle (ive seen it in old photos).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Does anyone know what this is?

You see it along the Cliff Walk.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2270489032_b8ba068247_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Aero

hi kesey! more fresh meat for the thread! yeahhh

I am only a blow in here. Lived here for 4 years, and came here for about 6 years before that on summer hols with wife & kids, but I have never seen a COI church in Ballyb. I will find out about it though, and send a pic of the site as it is now.....wherever it might be.

I wonder if thats the old church on Sandhill road (that is now a library), or if its that old church that used to be close to the castle (ive seen it in old photos).

I believe you are correct. The church was moved "stone by stone" to its new location on Sandhill Road and after it finished life as a Church, was converted to a library. Found photo on the internet here...

http://www.kerrycolib.ie/ballybbranch.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 culhane

Hi,
    The Church to which Kesey refers to was in Boyles Car Park which he refers to. This is triangular the car park in front of the marine hotel/ Southern hotel just before you come to the old Atlantic Hotel site. It existed before the present much smaller C O I church further down SandHill Road. By all accounts it was a beautifull church and should never have been demolished. I am not sure when it was demolished perhaps the 40's??? Pictures do exist of it though. I think Perhaps the former contributer to this thread SandHill Road (Rest In Peace ) may have posted a picture of this much further back in the thread.

Snow Scorpian the picture which u posted is the last remaining room of Pookeenee Castle. Though it is often referred to locally as the "jail".The little field to the front of it formed part of a fort. I guess it stood around the same time as ballybunion castle and lick castle but apparently there is much less known about it.

• Advertisement

culhane wrote: »
    Hi,
    The Church to which Kesey refers to was in Boyles Car Park which he refers to. This is triangular the car park in front of the marine hotel/ Southern hotel just before you come to the old Atlantic Hotel site. It existed before the present much smaller C O I church further down SandHill Road.

Rider (a name from a time when music was music!), aero and culhane, many thanks for your replies. It's great to see a bit of history coming out. I understand that the church which is now the library on the Sandhill Road came from Ballyduff originally. The one that stood on Boyles' Car Park was apparently bigger and a fine structure. Next door was the Rectory: that later became Horans, a use infinitely better to my mind:-)

Like many of you, I was an annual visitor to Ballybunion many years ago. I had the pleasure of doing summer work in both the Castle Hotel and in the Marine Hotel which gave me the opportunity to enjoy the bands that used to play in Horans and in the Central: they were blooming marvellous,and the craic phenomenal.

I'll keep digging for the photo of the church. If I find one I'll post it.

kesey wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is a great thread - it is a wonderful read and it is mighty to see the pictures of a place where many a fabulous summer was had.

I'm looking for any pictures that might exist of the Church of Ireland church that used to stand on Boyles Car Park.

all the best,

kesey

kesey, there's a brief look at the library/church in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjm7xCNQcs

kesey wrote: »
    I'll keep digging for the photo of the church. If I find one I'll post it.

This picture of the Castle Hotel and the Church of Ireland on Boyles' Carpark was posted on this thread, page 31, by John Sheehy (SandhillRoad) R.I.P. on 8th June, 2006.

Here's a couple of more photos of the Church of Ireland church in Ballybunion: note the bundle of people on the green in what was to become the Castle Hotel site. That picture appears to be captioned: Pattern Day in Ballybunion.

I stumbled across this tonight:
    Sunday, December 09, 2007

The stormy weather has caused up to ten thousand euro worth of damage to a lifeboat station in Kerry.

A freak wave hit the boathouse of Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue in the early hours of this morning.

The almost five foot wave blew the doors off their hinges and water flooded the building, damaging essential equipment.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/article3237164.ece

A five-foot wave all the way to the top of the beach?!

:eek:

If the online version of the Kerryman still ran the Local Notes we wouldn't have to depend on the Belfast Telegraph for Ballybunion news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Ballybunion was a desolate, windy place on Saturday afternoon 23rd February 2008.

bbun2.jpg

bbun1.jpg

All shuttered up.

reic wrote: »
    Ballybunion was a desolate, windy place on Saturday afternoon 23rd February 2008.

All shuttered up.

It looks so sad.

Then again, who wants to eat ice cream while sitting by the Castle Green in the end of February? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lola12

ballyb 3.jpg
    Hi Snow Scorpion & all the gang in the thread, really enjoyed catching up with the thread! I have a long history with Ballyb. I spent a lot of my growing up time there & my Dad still lives there. I was back in Jan for women's Christmas & had a few drinks in Kilcooley's, Mikey Joes, The Exchange & the Cashen. A good night had by all!I am trying to attach a couple of pics, but may take some time to get sorted as I am a bit slow on the old computer, anyway there is one of the Cof I church in Boyle's car park (which Kesey was interested in (sorry if it is on already) & also one taken from the roof of this church. I would also love to get a photo of a lovely sunny day (of which I have enjoyed many!) on the Ladies beach ( although I know it better as Maggie Daly's), just for a bit of contrast to the recent ones posted by Reic. Cos I think on a glorious summer day, there is no place to beat Ballyb.
    Hope to be back soon.

sorry, couldn't manage the pics, will try later when IT support gets home!

Welcome to the thread, Lola!

I always love coming to boards.ie and seeing "The Ballybunion Thread" in boldface print.

Maybe this will help you with posting pics:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3443022&postcount=97

lola12 wrote: »
    ballyb 3.jpg
    I would also love to get a photo of a lovely sunny day (of which I have enjoyed many!) on the Ladies beach ( although I know it better as Maggie Daly's), just for a bit of contrast to the recent ones posted by Reic. Cos I think on a glorious summer day, there is no place to beat Ballyb.
    Hope to be back soon.

Here's a welcome to the thread present for you, Lola. I'll post a couple more when later when I have more time.

img8219px4.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

hello all, i have to say this is one amazing thread,who would have thought it would get so big,theres a hell of alot of informative reading in it, makes me proud to be a kerryman:)!! Being honest i never paid much attention to ballyb when i was there, it was just another small town though i loved the amusements when i was younger, i think theres pictures somewhere around the house just to find them! I wont be as dismissive of ballyb next time im out there!!its great how somewhere so small can be so big!!
    Keep up the community spirit!!!!:D

I stumbled across this tonight:

A five-foot wave all the way to the top of the beach?!

:eek:

:cool:
    Hi All, I esed to have a subscription to the Kerryman, but they were looking for something ridiculous to renew this; about £200 i think, so I decided to jump ship - anyway, they seem to have closed down the Tralee operation & "The Kerryman" is now printed in Belfast!! & I have to say - I only had a look at the first couple of editions & it was total PANTS! ie could not make out the print, pictures not matching the captions, "tralee down the years" section unintelligible! So decided to give it a miss.
    Although I have just signed up to a years subscription to "Kerry's Eye", on special offer at the moment- Euro 50 for a year on line, which is good value in any language!

Does anyone remember Fitz's shop, next door to Jimmy Lynch's on Main Street? was a sweet shop that also sold toys etc. - I used to go there for choc ices, brunches, ice bergers, sindys etc. & I got a really cool chemistry set there once!

I have had a goat uploading a couple of pics, so hope they come out ok, they are not the original ones I wanted to post, as it seems they were too large for the thread, anyway, I hope they come out ok.

Thanks for the welcome to the thread present Snow Scorpion, Does anyone else know this beach as Maggie Daly's? Must ask my Da who she was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

was passing through ballybunion last week, here's a few pics i took

18022008104.jpg

18022008106.jpg

18022008108.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice pics, pity the 4x4 got in the way of the last one!;):p

hello all, i have to say this is one amazing thread,who would have thought it would get so big,theres a hell of alot of informative reading in it, makes me proud to be a kerryman:)!!

Welcome to the thread, carchaeologist! When I saw your name I immediately thought of the scene from "Jaws" where Richard Dreyfuss was calling the great white shark by it's scientific name - Carcharodon carcharias - and my first thought was you must be some sort of shark expert. Then when I checked your profile and saw you have a love of old cars. Car + archaeologist = carchaeologist - a lover of old cars. That's clever.

I hope you'll make the Ballybunion thread a regular stop in your wanderings around the internet.

Thanks snow, im laughing my head off here after what you said!! Iv been called a few names but never a shark expert!!How did you remember what he said in jaws, i find it hard to remember what day it is some times!!Haha!
    I was reading through the bally b thread the last day and i like the way it just got bigger and bigger! And the fact you seem to be the daddy of the thread:D. It was sad to read of sandville roads passing, im sure you got used to having him around, he bought alot of life to the thread. Next time im in bally b il take a few photos and post them up,to keep the ball rolling!!

Hi,
    The Church to which Kesey refers to was in Boyles Car Park (gone) ... this is triangular the car park in front of the marine hotel (gone)/ Southern hotel just before you come to the old Atlantic Hotel (gone) site. It existed before the present much smaller C O I church further down SandHill Road.

no wonder i could not find it! nearly all these places are gone. The Southern Hotel is still there. There is just some empty scrubland infront of it now. I think I have a pic of that area..... let me go look

PS welcome to all the new people!

PPS Run, Lola, Run!
    (ha ha ha .... Im a sad film fan, I know.... .)

Snow Scorpian the picture which u posted is the last remaining room of Pookeenee Castle.
    aaaahh... so thats Pookeene Castle! I was reading about that recently. I got a small booklet on Ballybunion Myths and Legends.

Here is the entire Pookeenee Castle entry:
    The Ghost of Pookeenee Castle.
    Historical sources have translated the name of Pookeenee Castle as 'the hood of the broken vaults'. In Irish mythology the name bears a more mythical name, The Castle of the Pooka. In ancient times in this area, the dreaded Pooka (or deformed animal) crept up on its victims while they slept, and a nightmare journey would ensue on the back of the pooka, traversing ditches, mountains and rivers until the victim awoke within the walls of the Pookeenee Castle.
    Local tradition informs us that if the victim did three rounds of the castle the spell was broken. It is said that on May eve a deformed ghostly specter of the pooka wanders the cliffs of Doon in search of its next victim.

From Ballybunion Myths & Legends – compiled by Danny Houlihan

Very interesting to find out about the Pookeens - I often wondered about what it was!

Rider, are there any plans afoot for celebrating St. Patricks Day In Ballyb? Some photos would be really good, If there is anything goin on & you happen to have your camera with you! I read in Kerry's Eye that they are having a parade in Tralee.

I also saw an article about the leisure centre running some swimming clubs over the Easter holidays. What is it like? Similar to the aquadome in Tralee?

Rider, are there any plans afoot for celebrating St. Patricks Day In Ballyb? Some photos would be really good

Sorry Lola, I didnt have my camera with me. I was in the Listowel parade (with the coast Guard) and in the Ballybunion parade (with the local theatre group) but no camera. I will see if I can find some pics.... Im sure 1 or 2 people brought theirs!
    The parade in Ballyb was better than Listowel IMHO. Weather was good and there was a bit of craic.

I also saw an article about the leisure centre running some swimming clubs over the Easter holidays. What is it like? Similar to the aquadome in Tralee?[/FONT]

the leisure centre is doing well. they had a float in the parade. it was very funny. They had people dressed up as life guards and swimmers, and had a small paddeling pool and kept splashing people!

Its a small leisure centre, not same as Aquadome. It has a standard 20m pool , and a couple of very small pools for the toddlers. There is also a sauna and jacuzzi. Upstairs, there is a gym with lots of weights and cardio equip.
    Not sure if anything special is being organised for Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Beezer19

Hey Alice, what a surprise? How have you been, I miss laughing with Bubbles, she always looked on the brightside of things. Life has been very good to me since returning to America. I married my highschool sweetheart and i have a 3 year old son, Kieran Patrick!! You can always send me an email at tlorah@depot-america.com , i'd love to catch up with ye.

Tell all i said hello.

Theres a tralee band called oracle playing in the exchange tommorrow night(23rd)at 10.30,i would reccommend seeing them highly. They play a sort of trad rock folk crossover, its hard to explain!

• Advertisement

a102.gif

Three weeks without a post to the thread?!

This will never do! I'll have to go looking for another video I made last summer. In the meantime, a question occurred to me the other day...

Does anyone know what the castle looked like when it was first built?

I was thinking that outcropping it's sitting on is pretty small. Was part of the outcropping removed somewhere along the line? Or was the castle small enough to fit on the outcropping as it is now?

Advertisement