Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones KOTCS

Options
  • 21-05-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Saw this today and I had to post about it.
    I could not believe how aged Harrison Ford is in this! I know that he is in his middle sixties but he is really struggling to pull this one off.
    The start was a little weak and when our hero first talks it sounds a little "over acted". It is slow enough to get moving but then it takes off and travels at a pretty good pace.
    I think Shia LeBeouf steals a lot of scenes and really is super star stuff now.
    I will say no more till a few have seen it and have commented also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

**** Matt, overall is it good? Better than tLC ?
    I've to wait another god damn week to get home to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm off to a midnight showing at my local VUE tonight. Can't wait. Anyone else going this evening ?

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

cant wait to see this hope it lives up to the previous films

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It wont.

Nothing can top raiders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If it's as good as the two sequels I'll be happy.

SP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

TinCool wrote: »
    I'm off to a midnight showing at my local VUE tonight. Can't wait. Anyone else going this evening ?

TC

You lucky devil!

What's a VUE?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's a VUE?
    A cinema. Afaik the only one in Ireland is in Liffey Valley, Dublin. Loads in the UK though.

SP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Four midnight showings in Cineworld Parnell Street too.
    Not for me though. I'll be hitting up the 10.10 showing in the morning instead. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

1.30pm tomorrow, screen 1, The Savoy. I'm surprisingly calm about it... for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I saw it last night. There's some great sequences in it particularly in the first half but it just didn't feel like an Indiana Jones movie. It lacked atmosphere and the chemistry between the characters was simply not there.

I've put spoilers in. I haven't given away any of the story or described any sequences. Read if you will.

John Williams music
    just seemed to go through the motions, all the themes from Raiders and a couple from Last Crusade were all there but I felt it didn't gel as you associate them with the previous movies. However,
    Harrison is great in it and still looks the part.
    Karen Allen was, to be honest pretty dire and the jokes were very strained at times.
    There was one particular action sequence with Mutt which was
    blatantly CG (think of Matrix and Neo fighting all the Mr Smiths) and detracted from the movie

The actual story line
    was rather far fetched even for an Indiana Jones flick. It just wasn't potentially believable.
    The sets were fantastic and there was no expense spared.

May be I'm being overly critical. It was a really good action flick and I'm off to see it again tonight without any pre-conceptions so I can sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

Raiders is still the best.

Cheers,
    TC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

7:15 for me. i will let you know its crap and save you going to the midnight showing!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Ok I will concede that point. It is a progression of the Indiana character and they do bow to the fact that he is indeed older and obviously less active than in past excursions.
    Did you think that the start was a little dis-jointed? It seemed to be going one way and then swung another. I still think that Indys first words seem funny in terms of accent or something.
    I agree also that Lucas has had way too much influence in the way the story was portrayed and belief is REALLY suspended in some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I feel so let down :( Im a big Shia LeBeouf fan but i just thought he was awful in this, as for Georg Lucas he should take a very long walk off a very short cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

just back from watching it myself, ah it's passable entertainment but doesn't hold a candle to the other Indiana flics, like someone else said didn't have the atmosphere and it was way too far fetched, could of done with being a bit more serious too, it gave me the impression of being a light hearted play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Wtf that was one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life :mad: I wish I could get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

awful, just awful, george lucas must be smoking crack or something, i cant belive after 19 years that was the best they could do. so many things wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i really, really enjoyed it. had to suspend disbelief almost from the get go, but it was a small price to pay for the most fun i've had at a film in ages. the plot is nonsense, but every time i heard the main theme i got gooesebumps and i felt like a kid again. i had a big dopey grin on my face for the whole thing.

and i think that was the whole point of it. to enjoy it, to have fun, and to realise that it's just a movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought it was fantastic fun. Its an Indy film, and even though it is ridiculous, thats the point. Loved pretty much every minute, despite concerns. Like the Anti-Episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

I came out of this film tonight in a daze.

I didn't like it but now that I'm home I have changed my mind - I HATED IT.

Sorry Steven but this is one of your worst films. The whole thing felt very sloppy and uneven. The action was flat and uninspired.

George, you have completely lost all reason. I will defend Star Wars movies until I'm blue in the face but is this really the best you cold come up with after 19 years!!!???!!!

Harrison, I felt sorry for you. You tried but the magic just was not there.

Awful plot, terrible script, weird pacing, over use of CGI, uninteresting characters.

Embarrassing, unengaging and worst of all - unnecessary.

The Indiana Jones movies will always be a trilogy to me.

Sorry guys and gals, but despite a few brief moments, this is a bad film.

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I really liked it, ok, the storyline with the
    aliens
    was a bit far fetched but if you think about it there are so many theories that
    aliens
    did help with the building of early human civilisation so I actually liked that this is the angle they took on this one.

I thought Ford was brilliant, playing the Older Indy but I think he still had the magic, the quips, the fighting, the whip...the hating tof the reds

His first line..."Russians"...in the same disdain he said "Nazis" in previous films!!

The action was great, the comedy was excellent and the ending was actually good!

Only thing was the amount of CGI...but considering the storyline I guess they were gonna use it anyway

I'm totally gonna be buying the 4 movie boxset...I didn't buy the trilogy cuz I knew a 4th was coming

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well im restrained from commenting in this last night and waited till i had a level head today.

For me the film didnt capture the magic. Maybe our expectations were high, but its just didnt wash.

Harrison did his best as Indy and tbh i cant really knock him. The script he had was dire. It lacked the witty comedy of the previous films with many of the jokes nods to previous films rather than something.

The plot was barmy.
    aliens, wtf?

Many of the set pieces were poor imitations of the previous films.

The effects were poor, CGI the whole way.

The film is a bit of fun but depending on how much you cherish the previous films will determine your entertainment level. To many of us, Indy is an icon of our generation.

however if i take my indy fanboy hat off and view it as a standalone film how does it rate? Well its still a bit of fun. But it will be soon forgotten in the same vane as The mummy returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

But it will be soon forgotten in the same vane as The mummy returns.

speaking of the mummy

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/themummytombofthedragonemperor/

meh.

Holding off watching Indy until I can with my mum, she's a big fan of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I really enjoyed it. I think people are being far too harsh on the plot the
    aliens
    are no more far fetched then the Ark of the Covenant, or the Holy Grail.

I think you have to go in with a good amount of good will to really enjoy the film. There is a sequence with Mutt that was a bit too cgi for my tastes. But overall I really did enjoy the film.

Also
    It too me a moment to realise that Mutt had taken the name of a dog just like his father! Thought that was a nice touch.

I do think some people are being overly critical and are not judging it fairly, even when they compare it to the old indy films they forget that they first saw those through the eyes of a child.

Cactus Col wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. I think people are being far too harsh on the plot the
    aliens
    are no more far fetched then the Ark of the Covenant, or the Holy Grail.

Thats my view on the plot too. It may be a step up in terms of nutiness, but I think people forget how supernatural the older ones were.
    I still think that the alien or 'inter-dimensional beings' aspect was highly apt: its set in the 50s, and space race concerns were at the forefront of society, so I think the crystal skull a very relevant MacGuffin indeed
    . I'm not denying that is ludicrous to the extreme, but I myself don't really consider it a problem.
    And we all know Spielberg is obsessed with aliens: we could probably criticise Close Encounters and ET for the same reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Totally agree, AND ancient civilisations are laden with references to "those things"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This was shockingly bad. I went with 5 mates and they all agreed. Some of the acting is genuinely cringeworthy (particularly that of the woman who is Indys love interest/former fiance). The plot, without trying to be overly-critical, was utter horsesh1te. I thought there were very few genuinely funny moments in it (something that normally rescues a thin plot) and those that existed barely merited a giggle!

I can't say I have seen all the previous films in their entirity so I was fairly open minded and optimistic going to this, going merely as a result of the hype/indy culture that seemed to capture so many imaginations in the past. I can only imagine how genuine fans must feel after this! George Lucas, time to hang up you space boots I think!

Jesus its been a bad film week for me, having sat through Southland Tales on monday night! (Avoid at all costs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

guess it's a love it or hate it so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Started off ok then just got very far fetched near the end some of the cgi is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Might be wrong here but did I read somewhere that Frank Darabont also wrote a draft of a script for Indy IV? And while Spielberg loved it, Lucas hated it and they went with a rewrite by someone else.

Darabont's script might have been interesting!

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    This was shockingly bad. I went with 5 mates and they all agreed. Some of the acting is genuinely cringeworthy (particularly that of the woman who is Indys love interest/former fiance). The plot, without trying to be overly-critical, was utter horsesh1te. I thought there were very few genuinely funny moments in it (something that normally rescues a thin plot) and those that existed barely merited a giggle!

That's Karen Allen and she was in Raiders. IMO she was the best of all the female characters in the original 3 films.

Advertisement