Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on UFC 93 (17th Jan, Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If anything I thought it would sell out in a few days. Fozzy was totally correct. In addition to that all the millions UFC has spent in the UK media bleed over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bazza76

Thats some serious impulse buying haha Sorry already have my Ringside C tickets
    Will be going I think.
    My mate just lost his job, so looks like I am saying for his ticket :eek:
    the other two are also taken by two lads I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭clarkey1980

Lads if anyone has two €75 or €125 tickets spare I will take them. Promised them to a mate of mine but they sold out before I got a chance to buy them.

Davis v Lytle is listed on mmaweekly rumours section as having been added to the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads if anyone has two €75 or €125 tickets spare I will take them. Promised them to a mate of mine but they sold out before I got a chance to buy them.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but check the prices on ebay.

Just now there's a €50- seat selling for €198- :eek:

I shudda bought more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Davis v Lytle is listed on mmaweekly rumours section as having been added to the card.

On the boards of MMA weekly:

Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle on tap for UFC 93
    by Dann Stupp on Nov 03, 2008 at 4:02 pm ET
    The worst kept secret of a fight now has a date.

UFC welterweights Marcus Davis (15-4 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Chris Lytle (26-16-5 MMA, 5-8 UFC) have agreed to meet at UFC 93, and bout agreements for the fight have been distributed, sources close to both fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The fight is expected to air on UFC 93's televised main card, which takes place Jan. 17 at The O2 in Dublin, Ireland.

The event airs on pay per view.

Davis and Lytle both spoke openly about wanting to fight each other even before they both competed last month at UFC 89. With victories from each fighter -- Davis submitted Paul Kelly, and Lytle stopped Paul Taylor with a unanimous-decision win -- the pieces fell in place for the bout.

As Davis first told TAGG Radio, MMAjunkie.com's official radio partner, in July, he and Lytle first discussed the fight earlier this year.

"Chris Lytle and I want to fight each other," Davis said at the time. "He's expressed that he wants to fight me. I've expressed that I want to fight him.

"We like each other, we respect each other, but we want to have that fight. And my pitch to Chris is, 'The first guy that starts grappling is a pussy, so let's not do that. Let's just stand up and just beat the hell out of each other. If we get in a clinching scenario, and somebody wants to throw somebody or whatever, go ahead and do it. But let's not try to finish it on the ground. Let's stand up, and let's bang it out.'"

Its pretty much, a cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

thankfully i've a pretty good seat ;)
    'The first guy that starts grappling is a pussy, so let's not do that. Let's just stand up and just beat the hell out of each other.

maybe stick to K1/boxing so? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

or just go home and dont come back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

"We like each other, we respect each other, but we want to have that fight. And my pitch to Chris is, 'The first guy that starts grappling is a pussy, so let's not do that. Let's just stand up and just beat the hell out of each other. If we get in a clinching scenario, and somebody wants to throw somebody or whatever, go ahead and do it. But let's not try to finish it on the ground. Let's stand up, and let's bang it out.'"

Translation: "I have no ground skills and I couldn't be arsed learning any. Luckily I have a good chin."

Lytle, rear naked choke, round 1
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lfc85

even tho a lot of davis wins come by submission
    if anyones gettin subbed its lytle
    should be a great fight either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Man, I knew this quote would garner such a response, know for the purists the ground game is top. But doesn't mean standing and boxing is not welcome in MMA. What is wrong with playing to your strengths? Ala Davis

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Man, I knew this quote would garner such a response, know for the purists the ground game is top. But doesn't mean standing and boxing is not welcome in MMA. What is wrong with playing to your strengths? Ala Davis

WHOOOSH

thats the sound of my point going over your head

if 2 bjj blackbelts said 'lets just grapple, first to strike is a pussy' i'd have said 'why not stick to grappling?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

if 2 bjj blackbelts said 'lets just grapple, first to strike is a pussy' i'd have said 'why not stick to grappling?'

Pretty much.

I appreciate the Davis and Lytle are solid boxers, but i don't want to see a 15 minute boxing match. The appeal of watching MMA Standup for me is that they need to be careful of takedowns and the ground element. It makes it interesting.

I watch MMA to see mixed strategy, i watched grappling tournaments to see grappling etc.

I agree with John on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CKY

mmajunkie had this to say

Dublin, Ireland-based welterweight Tom Egan (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will meet fellow UFC newcomer John Hathaway (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 93, an event set for Jan. 17 at the O2 Arena in Dublin.

The report comes from the U.K.-based Fighter's Only Magazine.

The match-up, which features two undefeated European fighters, will take place on UFC 93's un-aired preliminary card

leaving the rumoured line up as of now being:
    * Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin
    * Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    * Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle
    * Thomasz Drwal vs. Ivan Serati
    * Andre Gusmao vs. Antonio Mendes
    * Abdul Mohamed vs. TBA
    * Tom Egan vs. John Hathaway

Dragan wrote: »
    The appeal of watching MMA Standup for me is that they need to be careful of takedowns and the ground element. It makes it interesting.

the irony of course being that it was this very element that afforded davis his last win. it was him that was the 'pussy' shooting in and looking for the submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

If I had similar standup to my oponent, but was miles behind in grappling, I would make similar comments in the hopes of fighting a standup battle with a guy I cant beat on the ground.

On the other had, if I had the edge on the ground, I would say, "Sure, we will duke it out standing". Then go in, take him down, and tap him out.

"All warfare is based on deception"
    Sun Tzu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

dunkamania wrote: »
    If I had similar standup to my oponent, but was miles behind in grappling, I would make similar comments in the hopes of fighting a standup battle with a guy I cant beat on the ground.
    ..especially if he's shown a willingness to do just that in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Balfe

the irony of course being that it was this very element that afforded davis his last win. it was him that was the 'pussy' shooting in and looking for the submission.

You're talking about the Paul Kelly fight?

Davis was outclassing Kelly on the feet which led to Kelly actually shooting for the takedown. Davis pulled the guillotine, got to full guard and Kelly tapped. Davis didn't shoot once in that fight.

Balfe wrote: »
    Davis didn't shoot once in that fight.

you sure about that?

(lol at creating an account just to try and correct me on that :D )

you sure about that?

(lol at creating an account just to try and correct me on that :D )

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. He may have shot and Kelly blocked it at some point but I doubt it. I know for sure though that the end of the fight came about when Kelly took Davis down.

And yeah, this was as good a reason to join here as any! I've been posting on Sherdog for the last couple of years and, well, some of the people there can get a little tiresome!

And I assume you're the same John Kavanagh that runs SBG? Do you train Tom Egan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

JK back to the Tom being first at alot of things with this fight, but wont he also the the first Irish lad to win on UFC? well Davis cant be considered Irish as he just isn't, ha

Balfe wrote: »
    I've been posting on Sherdog for the last couple of years

shoulda guessed

and yeah thats me

and yeah davis did shoot in and take down paul...not that any of that matters as the point i was tryna make has long since bein lost...back to RoT forum for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

..back to RoT forum for me...

. . . he'll be back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sweeney21

Hey guys...Just wondering if anyone can help me...how far is it from Dublin airport to the o2 arena in miles...Is it a big distance? thanx

Hey Sweeney, the O2 is located in the very centre of Dublin city. It would be less than an hour on any of those busses that leave towards town from the airport.

Oh how I love grumpy Brock after listening to the Press Conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

rovert wrote: »
    Oh how I love grumpy Brock after listening to the Press Conference.

That was great :)

EDIT: Hey rovert, wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Ahhhhhhh No!
    Just got "informed" in work I'm off to Arizona for a bit of a stint, looks like I could miss this!!!!
    I've already got my tickets.....Noooo!
    I've been to all the UFC here apart from the last one in London, I can't miss it in my home town!

Fozzy wrote: »
    That was great :)

EDIT: Hey rovert, wrong thread!

:o

Oops

UFC are running too many shows grrrr :pac:

• Advertisement

Palhares is rumoured to be on the card according to mmaweekly.com.

I wonder if they'd stick him in with Denis Kang! A man can dream!

Advertisement