Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

baldieman wrote: »
    Top NASA scientist declares himself a skeptic...
    I'd expect all scientists to be somewhat sceptical. A healthy dose of scepticism in no bad thin in research.

I think this is about the 5th time that somebody has linked to that blog. It's already been discredited on other threads, largely due to its sensationalist content. Take for example the link entitled 'Peer-Reviewed Study challenges 'notion that human emissions are responsible for global warming' - the first line of the last paragraph reads:
    The two scientists acknowledged that CO2 plays an important role in the changing climate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BrianMeehan

djpbarry wrote: »
    I think this is about the 5th time that somebody has linked to that blog. It's already been discredited on other threads, largely due to its sensationalist content.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brilliant, two words. AL GORE.

Brilliant, two words. AL GORE.
    :confused: Where did I mention Al Gore?

:confused: Where did I mention Al Gore?

Al Gore is the leader of your movement. How can you call other people sensationalist when the whole basis of the environmental movement is just that.

"We need to get some broad based support,
    to capture the public's imagination...
    So we have to offer up scary scenarios,
    make simplified, dramatic statements
    and make little mention of any doubts...
    Each of us has to decide what the right balance
    is between being effective and being honest.
    "
    - Stephen Schneider,
    Stanford Professor of Climatology,
    lead author of many IPCC reports

What a joke.

Al Gore is the leader of your movement.
    My movement? Whatever Casey. Whatever.

• Advertisement

I see big Al Gore is at this moment testifying in congress. He is making a statement in relation to his belief in global warming as Washington is gripped by another massive ice storm.

You could not write the script. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

I'd expect all scientists to be somewhat sceptical. A healthy dose of scepticism in no bad thin in research.

I think this is about the 5th time that somebody has linked to that blog. It's already been discredited on other threads, largely due to its sensationalist content. Take for example the link entitled 'Peer-Reviewed Study challenges 'notion that human emissions are responsible for global warming' - the first line of the last paragraph reads:
    The Blog, the article is in, is irrelevant, unless of course, you believe there making it all up?

baldieman wrote: »
    The Blog, the article is in, is irrelevant, unless of course, you believe there making it all up?
    Making it all up? No. Twisting the truth, putting their own slant on things and quoting selectively? Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Making it all up? No. Twisting the truth, putting their own slant on things and quoting selectively? Most definitely.

The really unfortunate thing is that blog is a US Senator's blog (James Inhofe from Oklahoma - Republican if you couldn't guess), and he's using his perogative as a Senator to use a .gov website to spread his stupid slanted message. Inhofe is incredibly far into the pockets of big business and a Christian nutjob too. He famously compared the US Environmental Protection Agency to the Gestapo. Not a nice man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

No. Twisting the truth, putting their own slant on things and quoting selectively? Most definitely.

Both sides can be accused of that, surely. The science we know is that Carbon Dioxide absorbs infra-red and that it will have some kind of effect on the greenhouse effect - without which we wouldn't be here. The question is really on "forcings" since the projected increase in Carbon Dioxide is in of itself not that catastrophic, the models assuming positive feedback from other accelerated warmings mostly caused by the increase in water vapour. Of course clouds can trap heat, but can also deflect sun. The models assume the former.

The models don't predict cooling in Antarctica so there is the clear manipulation of data like the recent "we don't have any data to show the Antarctic is warming - quite the opposite - but if we assume that warming has taken place since the 1950's we can manipulate the actual data to explain away inconvenient truths". And the barnbusting End Of The World rhetoric. The moral superiority of the "moral classes" who recycle but ski.

its kinda like a religion.

• Advertisement

asdasd wrote: »
    Both sides can be accused of that, surely.
    I don't like to characterise the debate in terms of "sides", as it implies a point-scoring approach; I prefer to consider each source individually.
    The question is really on "forcings" since the projected increase in Carbon Dioxide is in of itself not that catastrophic...
    That depends on what you consider to be "catastrophic". For example, a small increase in temperature may appear rather trivial, but it could have a devastating effect on a particular ecosystem - coral reefs are a case in point.
    Of course clouds can trap heat, but can also deflect sun. The models assume the former.
    Which models are these?
    The models don't predict cooling in Antarctica so there is the clear manipulation of data like the recent "we don't have any data to show the Antarctic is warming - quite the opposite - but if we assume that warming has taken place since the 1950's we can manipulate the actual data to explain away inconvenient truths".
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here - the cooling of Antarctica is widely acknowledged:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v415/n6871/abs/nature710.html

The third IPPC report predicted that global warming would most likely lead to a thickening of the ice sheet over the next century.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

asdasd wrote:

its kinda like a religion.

Thanks for that insight

Yes for me I can happily switch between being for the global warming forcing theory and being against it.Sometimes you need to be both sides of fence to see the story.I used to adhere the possibility that global warming forcing might be important either ion the short or long term.
    Then suddenly IPCC comes out with it big statement that the debate was over its in the bag it a sure bet our goose is cooked.

Now being a reasonable sort of guy I figured lets see the other side of the coin in case there is is mistake.That's when you find out there is lot of agenda driven science driving both sides.

Then you start to see all the trapping of cult following with low level bitching about SUV are planet killers through to others stuff like the Brazil forests are the lungs of the planet. and then its a question can you trust any of the science

So I decided to build my own models and run my own models much more simplex than the what the IPCC or the big outfits could run but they threw up serious questions about the whole idea of Global warming forcing. and where the hell did this idea come from in the first place

Then when you start to dig down where some of the statistics are that both sides use sometimes you find that the information or paper that it based on is iffy at best and probably fraudulent

Does it mean that there is or isn't global warming.I don't know but I can see huge evidence of cult followers that have adopted a save the planet based on cult science

In public forums its real clear who are knee deep in their cults for or against.

For me its a science and nature rules anyway and now there is a media circus and cult driven agendas some with huge finances to force us into their religion so it difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff in this debate

Does that mean I burn as much fossil fuels as I can .No I am just such a tight miserable fecker I adhere to minimum house heating and driving smallest cars and cycling so as not to make those SOB fossil fuel companies rich of my back

But that's another religion which i don't disguise behind behind global warming issues

Derry

Well I believe in human caused global warming, but am not a alarmist as to the consequences. I fully believe that the scientists know which side their bread is buttered on, and journalists are really bad at explaining.

Heres an example from the National geographic. A study which shows increase in Ice Sheet melt.
    As to whether Antarctica will lose or gain ice as global warming proceeds, the measurements disagree with existing climate models that suggest "[the ice sheet] is going to get bigger because of increased snowfall with warming temperatures," Bamber said.

"We don't see that. We see the ice sheet losing mass," he said. "So there's a bit of a paradigm shift in what the ice sheet has done recently and what it could do in the future."

Scientists are concerned the melting ice will contribute to a dangerous sea level rise.

Take the last sentence - "Scientists are concerned the melting ice will contribute to a dangerous sea level rise" - and a previous sentence "existing climate models that suggest "[the ice sheet] is going to get bigger".

Not compatible, surely. The main actor on sea level is water expansion when warmed, as far as I know. Melting ice is easier to sell. If the main climate models show that warming increases snowfall in Antartica - precipitation which is effectively trapped - then there is little point in spending too much time on wondering what happens when the whole thing "melts", which wouldn't happen without a catastrophic re-tilt of the earth.

derry wrote: »
    Then when you start to dig down where some of the statistics are that both sides use sometimes you find that the information or paper that it based on is iffy at best and probably fraudulent
    You including the IPCC in that statement? If so, perhaps you could provide an example of one paper that the IPCC has cited, which is "iffy" or "fraudulent"?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Thanks for that insight

So I decided to build my own models and run my own models much more simplex than the what the IPCC or the big outfits could run but they threw up serious questions about the whole idea of Global warming forcing. and where the hell did this idea come from in the first place

Derry

You decided to make your own models? Oh don't make me laugh. Do you have any idea how much work and hard core physics have gone into these models? They hae been under development and constant refinement since about 1975 (NCAR model). You've alreay proven that math isn't your thing.

On another note, an interesting article from CNN http://us.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/19/eco.globalwarmingsurvey/index.html

QUOTE=hoser expat;58819281]You decided to make your own models? Oh don't make me laugh. Do you have any idea how much work and hard core physics have gone into these models? They hae been under development and constant refinement since about 1975 (NCAR model). You've alreay proven that math isn't your thing.

On another note, an interesting article from CNN http://us.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/19/eco.globalwarmingsurvey/index.html[/QUOTE]

Here we go again the majority of climate scientists think something so they even stop to debate it and it becomes a de facto fact that us plebs will just have to swallow cause science voted it in .Science is now surplus to requirements if it doesn't fit the facts that the scientists want. Now thats what I call a quack science .

So we also see in that CNN link that petroleum geologists and meteorologists are not so convinced of this bunch in climate science and their climate change proof .
    Is it that those who did Climate science in college were all a bunch of saddo's and the happy go lucky petroleum and meteorologists trainee scientists in colege were having so much fun and had seen the climate change guys in thier same science classes in the first few years when it was all one big science 101 class .Is it they suspected or even knew that climate scientists are all a bunch of a screwed up science with screwed up guys that never could score in your university years :D and good riddance to them

Maybe I should do a poll of petroleum scientist and meteorologists to see which theory they buy our goose is cooked or climate scientists are a bunch of saddo's not to be trusted with any science.

Anyway doing climate models starts with looking at the numbers

Lets see looking at one set supplied by a forefather of the CO2 hype is James Lovelock author of GHIA
    http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/23/james-lovelock-and-c.html

He states that 550 giga tons of CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere every year of which humans account for 30 giga tons of this
    My maths suggests this about ~1/18th but to make it simple lets say its ~1/20th of the total CO2 created every year..Now at basic level how can Humans with ~5% of the CO2 emission's be responsible for all this claimed extra heating effect.

Now I saw in one section that up to 100PPM of CO2 is where we get the majority of global warming from CO2 for which if there was no CO2 we would all freeze our butts and probably die .Then as CO2 levels increase the extra marginal heating from CO2 levels off.At about 270PPM the extra heating effect becomes near totally level and if there is any increase it very marginal.Oh yeah its another hockey stick

Our dear friend David Bellamy a scientist OK not a climate scientist said on the RTE late late show last week that even if humanity somehow managed to double the levels of CO2 (which would require the burning of all known oil and gas supplies and 1/3 of all known coal which is something like 300 plus years of coal at today's consumption ) we would only raise the temperature of the planet earth a mere 2 degrees Centigrade and that could easily take another 200 plus years to do that if we tried very hard .

Now whats in for me to believe you a another claimer of a multi degree climate scientist in cyber land over Bellamy who has shown a more real in depth ability to do real science ???

So now we got another number

270 PPM from ~ 1889 versus todays 2009 ~380 PPM .
    OK lets get down and dirty with the maths and lets say 100 years equals 100PPM

Lets get the total volume of the atmosphere in giga tons and lets see what giga tons that is..
    total atmospheric mass is 5.1480×1018 kg = 5.1480*10^? in giga tons ( a big number I did in the past )

Then lets get the giga tons of 100ppm and see what we get

5.1480*10^? in giga tons /100=1% and /100 =0.01% which is giga tons that is what CO2 increased level volume of the earths atmosphere is over 100 years

Then we divide that ~100 to get the yearly rate and then 365 for the daily rate of CO2 increase and then we find its something very small number which is something like 1/65,000,000 of the atmoshere is carbonised every day.
    From this figure man contributes less than 1/10 of that so were looking at most 1 / 650,000,000 of the atmosphere a day is carbonised by mankind

Really the atmosphere is more like an ocean in size compared to human scale activity and if it was a even one atmoshere pressure from top to bottom of it would be ~5 miles high instead to be getting thinner as we go up in height .That's a deep ocean

Then you have to step back from this model and ask yourself if even the numbers were wrong by a huge factor like say it was 1/10,000,000 is this a threat to any planet never mind the planet earth.

In maths science numbers less than 1/1000 in noisy complex systems are more likely to be a quack science than a real science

So for me the real question Is this CO2 subject some new form of watching paint dry or a real bona fida science

So before I go off and spend years of time doing more complex computer models seeing I have three plus years training in computer programing and so I could have a stab at this kind of model should I instead check further where the rumour originally came from the case CO2 is a green house gas of importance .
    Like maybe is some sort of mythical boogie man. science .Where is the evidence for this whole theory CO2 global warming come from in the first place and who is dreaming up this stuff or is this the ultimate garbage in even more garbage out in the computer world .

That's when where you start checking back in history to see the progress of C02 from ~1790 there abouts and the first idea was coined that CO is a global warming gas . We can trace CO2 and it birth pangs through the history of the universities and its popular whipping boy for all sorts of bizarre things. Mice are put inside sealed jars with some plants and those mice didn't get snuffed as quick as the mice in sealed glass jars without plants. Then we see the idea that plants do all the work to save us from turning the planet into a planet Venus.Its quite amusing to read books from the not so far past that figured that the world without plants would become a total CO2 atmosphere in a few decades when clearly it would take some ~65,000,000 days or 200,000 years to carbonize all the atmosphere.

You could write a good script what half backed science nonsense got attached to the CO2 gas through history

Then along comes the climate science guys most who probably never questioned what exactly does this CO2 look like if we collected it all into one place and set madly to to see can they reproduce results that fit the fit the CO2 warming effect is cooking our goose .Mostly because this is the quasi religious fact as dished down from on high over the eons of time that most all colleges ever existed that CO2 will cook our goose .

Then that's when we find the more the climate scientists run the complex climate models the more they seem to drop the CO2 warming effect and its gone from ~2.5 watts at the equator per square meter to now the number I saw was 1.63 watts from a total of ~1400 watts at the equator or as we now know is something like 0.1% heating effect. Really I joke you not 1.63 watts who are they kidding .

Me thinks this is the complex climate model proving to them that Bellamy who has probably studied the subject is correct and the climate scientists couldn't score for nuts when they went to college and their maths are even worse than mine .It exactly what results i would expect as they are trying to find the impossible that is lost in the noise of the complex climate system. That's not counting the cult followers that want and often demand certain results to be proved .

Life's a bitch but lots of science like rocket launches to Mars went wrong because some one mixed up the maths and the space craft crashed .into that planet . So chances are when the complex programs throw up and somebody figures it out then this is just another crash in science and they just got to dust themselves down comb the ruffled feathers and get back to the real climate science
    That means if climate scientists have a theory concept brain fart whatever they must prove it and not vote on it

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TheParrot

He states that 550 giga tons of CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere every year of which humans account for 30 giga tons of this
    My maths suggests this about ~1/18th but to make it simple lets say its ~1/20th of the total CO2 created every year..Now at basic level how can Humans with ~5% of the CO2 emission's be responsible for all this claimed extra heating effect.
    Because it accumulates in the atmosphere.
    Our dear friend David Bellamy a scientist OK not a climate scientist said on the RTE late late show last week that even if humanity somehow managed to double the levels of CO2 (which would require the burning of all known oil and gas supplies and 1/3 of all known coal which is something like 300 plus years of coal at today's consumption ) we would only raise the temperature of the planet earth a mere 2 degrees Centigrade
    A “mere” two degrees? You don’t think that an increase of two degrees is significant? And how do you know that his statement is accurate? And I thought that you were disputing the link between CO2 and temperature?
    It would be more accurate to go by the data shown in the Keeling Curve, i.e. an increase from 315 ppmv in 1958 to 385 ppmv as of 2008. That’s an increase of approximately 1.4 ppmv per annum.
    Lets get the total volume of the atmosphere in giga tons…
    :confused: Volume is not measured in tons. The mean mass of the Earth’s atmosphere is approximately 5.1480 × 10^18 kg.

5.1480*10^? in giga tons /100=1% and /100 =0.01% which is giga tons that is what CO2 increased level volume of the earths atmosphere is over 100 years
    If you’re trying to put a figure on the mass of CO2 added to the atmosphere over the past 50 years (going by the Keeling Curve), it comes out as approximately:

(385 ppmv – 315 ppmv) * 5.148 x 10^18 kg = 3.6036 x 10^14 kg

That is assuming that mass fraction is equivalent to volume fraction, which is not strictly true.
    Then we divide that ~100 to get the yearly rate and then 365 for the daily rate of CO2 increase and then we find its something very small number which is something like 1/65,000,000 of the atmoshere is carbonised every day.
    The annual rate is about 7.2072 x 10^12 kg per annum, which puts the daily rate at approximately 1.9732 x 10^10 kg per day. You still think that’s a very small number?
    From this figure man contributes less than 1/10 of that so were looking at most 1 / 650,000,000 of the atmosphere a day is carbonised by mankind
    I don’t understand what you’re saying here – why do you assume that man is only responsible for 10% of the measured increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration?

djpbarry wrote:
    derry wrote:
    He (author of Giai ) states that 550 giga tons of CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere every year of which humans account for 30 giga tons of this
    Because it accumulates in the atmosphere.

So what kinda answer is that .All CO2 accumulates first in the atmosphere and later in the oceans with dissolving .Over eons it get made sea shells which collect fossilize into rocks like limestone .Its all a natural process/The problem is only if there is clear link that extra CO2 is a powerful green house gas that can cook our goose.The evidence for this is thin and getting thinner every day and there fore if it isn't a powerful green house gas its no big deal if it accumulates

Its up to the CO2 believers to really prove this is a powerful green house gas of any importance

djpbarry wrote:
    derry wrote:
    Our dear friend David Bellamy a scientist OK not a climate scientist said on the RTE late late show last week that even if humanity somehow managed to double the levels of CO2 (which would require the burning of all known oil and gas supplies and 1/3 of all known coal which is something like 300 plus years of coal at today's consumption ) we would only raise the temperature of the planet earth a mere 2 degrees Centigrade

A “mere” two degrees? You don’t think that an increase of two degrees is significant? And how do you know that his statement is accurate? And I thought that you were disputing the link between CO2 and temperature?

those are mostly the words of David Bellamy ,He is pointing out that even if humanity did double the CO2 levels worst case (and would require about 150 years of fossil fuel burning of a large size ) if the science for some global warming heating can be attributed to CO2 the max effect might be as high as 2 degrees Centigrade.Based on the fact that as he says the planet was hotter than it is now this 2 degrees isn't a problem as we been there before in the medieval hot period
    go view the RTE 1 late late how January 2009 and write a letter to him about it

djpbarry wrote:
    derry wrote:

It would be more accurate to go by the data shown in the Keeling Curve, i.e. an increase from 315 ppmv in 1958 to 385 ppmv as of 2008. That’s an increase of approximately 1.4 ppmv per annum.

Typical shift the goal posts.It suits you to ignore that from 1880 to 1950 the world went from 270PPM to 315 PPM.In that period very little industrial activity was done from mankind world wide so this accumulation of ~50 PPM doesn't fit the cult believing facts that want to blame man for everything when in fact maybe nature is out to to get you

djpbarry wrote:
    derry wrote:
    Lets get the total volume of the atmosphere in giga tons…

Volume is not measured in tons. The mean mass of the Earth’s atmosphere is approximately 5.1480 × 10^18 kg.

splitting hairs

derry wrote:

OK lets get with the maths in a more simplex way that non math type like me can follow
    lets agree on the numbers 5.148^18 kg equals the table below in tons

basic check Internet sites mass of the earth atmosphere
    http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/LouiseLiu.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_atmosphere
    all agree from 4.99*10^18 KG to 5.148*10^18 KG or 5.3*10^15 metric tons

5,148,000,000,000,000,000.0 kg KG in the atmosphere kg
    5,148,000,000,000,000.0 tons t in the atmosphere ton
    5,148,000,000,000.0 1,000 tons in the atmosphere thousand tons
    5,148,000,000.0 1,000,000 tons Mt in the atmosphere million tons
    5,148,000.0 1,000,000,000 tons Bt in the atmosphere billion ton (short )
    5,148.0 1,000,000,000,000 tons Gt in the atmosphere giga tons (short )
    5.148 1,000,000,000,000,000 tons Tt in the atmosphere terra tons

other referenceof i the planet atmosphere mass is 5148 terra tons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_atmosphere

baic check planet is 510,072,000 square kilometers
    ~10 ton for each square meter of the planet makes (10.09 ton to be more exact)
    ~10,000,000 tons per each square kilometer of the planet makes
    ~5,100,720,000,000,000 tons for the planet
    ~5,100,720,000 MT tons for the planet million tons
    ~5,100,720 BT tons for the planet billion tons
    ~5,100 GT ton for the planet giga tons similar to 5.148 giga ton from the above table
    ~ 5 Tt ton for the planet terra ton not similar 5148 terra ton to wiki listed below
    similar to 5.1 tera ton from the above table
    wiki wrote:
    The total air mass is 5148.0 teratonnes and area is 51007.2 megahectares. Thus 5148.0/510.072 = 10.093 tonnes (9.934 LT; 11.126 ST) per square meter or 14.356 pounds per square inch (98.98 kPa). This is about 2.5% below the officially standardized unit atmosphere (1 atm) of 101.325 kPa or 14.696 psi, and corresponds to the mean pressure not at sea level, but at the mean base of the atmosphere as contoured by the Earth's terrain.

The point of the table above is to show what the real number looks like and seems the last figure 5148.0 teratonnes is wrong and should be 5.148 terratonne
    But others more expert can say which is correct

so if we want to say what 270PPM is its basically a weight measure of this ( not taking into account a dissolving effect in the air just the weight )

the weight of CO at 270PPM is ( 5,148,000,000.0 Mt / 1.000,000 )*270 = 1,389,960 Mega ton or 1.38 giga ton

So the ~5,148 .0 giga ton of the atmosphere
    had ~1.4 giga ton in it in atmosphere say 1889 270 PPM
    or ~ 1.6 giga ton in it in atmosphere say 1950 315 PPM
    or ~1.98 giga ton in it in atmosphere say 2000 385 PPM
    or ~0,5 giga ton in it in atmosphere for 100 years 100 PPM
    or ~0,36 giga ton in it in atmosphere for 50 years 70 PPM

If you’re trying to put a figure on the mass of CO2 added to the atmosphere over the past 50 years (going by the Keeling Curve), it comes out as approximately:

(385 ppmv – 315 ppmv) * 5.148 x 10^18 kg = 3.6036 x 10^14 kg

how about its as above (385 ppmv – 315 ppmv) = 70 PPM or 0.36 giga tons

That is assuming that mass fraction is equivalent to volume fraction, which is not strictly true.

Then we divide that ~100 to get the yearly rate and then 365 for the daily rate of CO2 increase and then we find its something very small number which is something like 1/65,000,000 of the atmosphere is carbonised every day.

The annual rate is about 7.2072 x 10^12 kg per annum, which puts the daily rate at approximately 1.9732 x 10^10 kg per day. You still think that’s a very small number?

OK I wont bitch you switched the the goal post from 100 years to 50 years so I will do 50 year calculations to just to keep you happy

~0,36 giga ton convert to mega tons in it in atmosphere for 50 years 70 PPM /50 for years /365 for days and convert to giga tons

0.36*1,000,000 = 360,000 mega tons / 50 for years =7200 mega tons per year / 365 for days = 144 mega tons per day*1,000.000= 00014 giga tons per day

makes 0.00014 giga tons per day
    %and fraction from 5148.000000 giga tons
    for 0.000144 giga tons
    fraction ~1 / 36, 771,428 or ~1 / 37,000,000 of the earths atmosphere is cabonised every day
    % ~0.00016%

although it a big number to humans compared to the overall size of the atmosphere its tiny tiny tiny

ok to make it tons its to keep the number in proportion

5,148,000,000,000,000,000 ton atmosphere total
    144-,000,000,000 tons carbonised every day or 0.00016%

it all minute Numbers

ball park it will take 37,000,000 / 5 for 20 of air is oxygen or 7.500.000 days or 20.000 years to use all oxygen at that rate

however mankind isn't responsible for all that estimate vary but less than 1/10th of CO2 emissions possibly comes from mankind

however fossil fuels might be max good for ~10,000 years so it not likely we would use 50% of the oxygen

we will probably get max ~200 years fossil fuels before changing to other solutions that don't burn up fossil fuels

so I ant for one am not overly concerned with CO2 emissions accumulating another 150 years at this rate making 150*1.4PPM annually equal a total of 380 + 210 = 590 ~600PPM based on how little proven heating seems to come from CO2 emissions

djpbarry wrote:
    derry wrote:

I don’t understand what you’re saying here – why do you assume that man is only responsible for 10% of the measured increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration?

look it up the estimates of man s emission out of the total do not suggest that mankind is responsible fro 100% of annual emissions and most suggest between 1% and 10% CO2 annual emissions are attributable to man

even using the pre 1950 figure if we assume that of the ~45PPM mankind in that period was responsible for say 5PPM of that we get from 1899 to 1950 40 PPM is to nature.

We can then assume of the new 315 to 380PPM that another ~40PPM was to nature so max 35PPM extra can be attached to humanity

Have you any idea of how much fossil fuel that is as each kilo of fossil fuels makes ball park 2.5kg of CO2 and when you check it man used maybe 1/10th of that figure max in fossil fuels .So there is a hue gap between what the oceans and nature barf up in CO2 up and what mankind uses and that gap is a wide open debate

Derry

So what kinda answer is that .All CO2 accumulates first in the atmosphere and later in the oceans with dissolving
    The point is that man has shifted the balance between CO2 sources and sinks:
    http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn11638/dn11638-4_738.jpg
    Its up to the CO2 believers to really prove this is a powerful green house gas of any importance
    Now that's just basic physics. CO2 absorbs and emits a great deal of heat due to the molecule's ability to absorb and emit infra-red radiation in two vibrational modes.

This property is extremely easy to test; in fact, you can do it yourself at home:
    http://www.rsc.org/education/teachers/learnnet/JESEI/co2green/home.htm
    Based on the fact that as he says the planet was hotter than it is now this 2 degrees isn't a problem as we been there before in the medieval hot period
    Where is the evidence that suggests that the planet was a full two degrees warmer than it is now during medieval times?
    Typical shift the goal posts.It suits you to ignore that from 1880 to 1950 the world went from 270PPM to 315 PPM.In that period very little industrial activity was done from mankind world wide so this accumulation of ~50 PPM doesn't fit the cult believing facts that want to blame man for everything when in fact maybe nature is out to to get you
    :rolleyes: I used the Keeling Curve because it represents the most accurate record of atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Would you not agree?
    Volume is not measured in tons.
    splitting hairs
    You accuse others of perpetuating “junk science”, yet you think it’s perfectly valid to equate mass with volume?
    5,148,000,000,000,000,000 ton atmosphere total
    144-,000,000,000 tons carbonised every day or 0.00016%

it all minute Numbers
    I can’t make head nor tail of how you arrived at that figure, but I’m not going to dwell on it. The point is that it’s incredibly naïve to think that we can continue to dump something of the order of 10^10 metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every day and not expect there to be any consequences. The fact that this number is small compared to the total volume if the atmosphere is moot. The important fact is that the concentration of atmospheric CO2 is increasing at a pretty alarming rate.
    ball park it will take 37,000,000 / 5 for 20 of air is oxygen or 7.500.000 days or 20.000 years to use all oxygen at that rate
    How many climate scientists have suggested that we are in danger of using up all of the oxygen on the planet? Red herring.
    however mankind isn't responsible for all that estimate vary but less than 1/10th of CO2 emissions possibly comes from mankind
    We are responsible for approximately 5% of emissions, but we are responsible for the vast majority of the measured increase in CO2 concentrations. You seem to be having a great deal of difficulty in grasping this concept.
    so I ant for one am not overly concerned with CO2 emissions accumulating another 150 years at this rate making 150*1.4PPM annually equal a total of 380 + 210 = 590 ~600PPM
    That’s assuming that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere continues to increase at the same rate, which seems unlikely.
    even using the pre 1950 figure if we assume that of the ~45PPM mankind in that period was responsible for say 5PPM of that we get from 1899 to 1950 40 PPM is to nature.

We can then assume of the new 315 to 380PPM that another ~40PPM was to nature so max 35PPM extra can be attached to humanity
    Incorrect (see above). Feel free to prove me wrong (with a reputable source, preferably).

• Advertisement

The fact that this number is small compared to the total volume if the atmosphere is moot. The important fact is that the concentration of atmospheric CO2 is increasing at a pretty alarming rate.

I havent time to tacle all the points today

The important fact is that the concentration of atmospheric CO2 is increasing at a pretty alarming rate.

this is interesting use of the type of alarmist lingo that litters the CO2 subject

ok link BBC fairly reputable but definitly a total fan of global warming and is a global warming alarmist machine used by the neo fachist propaganda UK population control movemnt that are trying to prove the world is overpopulated and the need to cull 4 billion people

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7769619.stm

reproduced for legitmate eduction use
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    Scientists have calculated that nature cycles about 330 billion tonnes of carbon every year.

Human activities put about 7.5 billion tonnes into the atmosphere

So we see that humans make 7.5 billion tons per year

big number its gonna get us in the neck eeeekkkk

If we run the numbers that means we the human race every day uses
    ~ 1/250,000,000 of the atmoshere every day

Now I need to really panic its like because I lose one fluff of dandrufff from my head shortly my head will fall off when enough flakes of dandruff fall off

get real CO2 and humans cant get past the most basic laugh ometer test

this 1/250,000,000 boggie man is gonna get us in the neck real soon so soon we got to go into emergency mode and stop breathing so as not to make any CO2

So as to where the rest of the ~1/30,000,000 every day comes from that shows on your keeling curve well life sucks and nature farts whatever but even that bogie man cant get past any laugh ometer test

Basic maths fecks all those high falutuing scientists with the make believe junk science

Get a grip CO2 is just another way the super class rich have hijacked the green agenda with thier control of the IMF and UN to try to cull the worlds population and if you believe that science your like a Turkey voting for christmas

Follow the money trail and its points to the super rich who have a cull agenda with yours and my name and 3 million Irish at least on the list to be taken out in the big cull they plan

now thats some boggie man you should worry about cause they got big bucks and power to hijack the BBC and most all science to this junk science CO2

If you look carbon dioxide the infra emmisons are tiny tiny tiny only two points on the whole band of infra red or less than 3% of the infra red spectrum

Look I once believed that CO2 crap but I dont trust anybody without checking everthing and this CO2 science cant pass any test

The same dick head scientist that claimed in the 1970 that the world freeze event would create havok and most of the world would be starved to death before 1999
    The same dick head scientists now say global warming is gonna get us

Being Irish has one advantage you have more chance to twig a con job if your the real McCoy

eeeekkk now you know there is a real boggie man

Derry

The important fact is that the concentration of atmospheric CO2 is increasing at a pretty alarming rate.

this is interesting use of the type of alarmist lingo that litters the CO2 subject
    You can argue semantics all you like, but there’s no getting away from the fact that atmospheric CO2 concentrations have increased substantially over the last 50 – 100 years (whatever time interval you want to use yourself).
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    Scientists have calculated that nature cycles about 330 billion tonnes of carbon every year.
    The important word in that sentence is highlighted.
    Human activities put about 7.5 billion tonnes into the atmosphere
    I believe I arrived at a similar figure in this post.
    Basic maths fecks all those high falutuing scientists with the make believe junk science
    It is quite evident at this point that maths is not your friend (neither is English, frankly).
    If you look carbon dioxide the infra emmisons are tiny tiny tiny only two points on the whole band of infra red or less than 3% of the infra red spectrum
    Did you attempt the little experiment I linked to? The ability of CO2 to trap heat is very easy to demonstrate – why don’t you give it a go?

Did you attempt the little experiment I linked to? The ability of CO2 to trap heat is very easy to demonstrate – why don’t you give it a go?

oh this one

http://www.rsc.org/education/teacher...green/home.htm

If your opinion that the world is getting heated by the CO2 in the atmoshere is based on this experment then your science is bigger junk science than ever

First the experment is a classic brain washing experment directed at young students who might fall for these stupid party trick quazi science stunts

Lets see the final result after massive CO2 forcing like filling the whole bottle with pure CO2 gas could only raise the temperature by a whopping 4 degrees EEEEKKKK I am shaking in my boots .:eek:

reproduced for legitimate education use
    rsc.org wrote:
    Fill one of the bottles with carbon dioxide, screw the top on (with temperature probe / thermometer in place) and plug any gaps with Plasticine

Then the experment concluded therefore our future is bleak if there is CO2 in the atmosphere.

reproduced for legitimate education use
    rsc.org wrote:
    Typical results

Even over a small time period such as 20 minutes we are still able to get a difference of 4°C in temperature between the two samples, the carbon dioxide warming more and faster than the air, see Figure 2. Students may not be impressed with such a small temperature difference in the laboratory. However it should be stressed that scientists are in general agreement that an average increase of just 2°C across the planet could have catastrophic effects on crop production and cause sea levels to increase significantly resulting in major flooding.

So lets remake the experment in a true science spirt and lets take on one bottle with air at 380PPM of CO2 in it Then lets fill another bottle with lets say CO2 600PPM in it Then lets run the experment again and whats the bet the temperature rise with the same light heat source will be so so sos so so so small that we cant detect it with instuments .So we can only say from this experment that if we humans after 20,000 years have converted all the air in the atmoshere to CO2 the only temperature rise we can expect is ~4 degrees

In between forget any temperature rise from 380PPM to 2000PPM as being so small as not to worth a dam

So students in a school subjected to these primitive propaganda experments to brain wash you in your opinion who is trying to brain wash you with this boggie man CO2 junk science .

How can an experment that take so much CO2 in one bottle that requires so much heat forceing make a huge jump in logic and decide that a small increase in CO2 is threat to the planet

Get real the CO2 is a mega scam to make you and me and the rest of the world pay tax for breathing air .Al Gore your hero own the CO2 carbon trading compny that will him a bucket full of money on this junk science if he gets his way .This is all done so they can take away yours and mine and the rest of the worlds right to breath free air.

If you want to be a sucker to that junk science no body can stop you but every day more scientists when shown the real story are running away from CO2 global warming and suedo science Climate change as fast as possible

They know the game is up and are dusting down thier CV to find a real science to join .

And that other jumped up header who claimed to be a climate scientist seems to have done a runner as he see the game is up

Derry

Lets see the final result after massive CO2 forcing like filling the whole bottle with pure CO2 gas could only raise the temperature by a whopping 4 degrees...
    That's a pretty significant difference, is it not? You were seeking evidence that CO2 is indeed a greenhouse gas. I provide a simple little experiment that you can attempt yourself (and modify, if you wish) and you dismiss it out of hand. Now why is that?
    So students in a school subjected to these primitive propaganda experments to brain wash you in your opinion who is trying to brain wash you with this boggie man CO2 junk science .
    The aim of the experiment is quite clear:
    The activity allows students to compare the thermal properties of carbon dioxide with those of air...
    I notice that you're not terribly good at answering questions or responding to counter-points.

derry wrote:
    Lets see the final result after massive CO2 forcing like filling the whole bottle with pure CO2 gas could only raise the temperature by a whopping 4 degrees...
    That's a pretty significant difference, is it not? You were seeking evidence that CO2 is indeed a greenhouse gas. I provide a simple little experiment that you can attempt yourself (and modify, if you wish) and you dismiss it out of hand. Now why is that?
    The aim of the experiment is quite clear:
    Which end of logarithmic do you not understand.As Co2 concentration increase the temperature influence they exert is logarithmic eg. so that gains in CO2 create a incremently less gain in temperture rise.Even a doubling of CO2 level s from 380 PPM to 740PPM which wouldnt happen before 2255 will probaly have no heating effect dectable to the earth system

Back to what I said way back the most heat from CO2 is gained from 0 to 100 PPM .After that the rate of temperature climb is slowed down and nearly flat lines after 250PPM

That stupid experment required the whole bottle to be filled with CO2 gas to show any temperture gain .Thats like comparing planet Venus a 100% CO2 atmoshere to the earths with a trace gas CO2 level.The experment is clearly a junk science experment

So here is a good lessson for you on logarithmic heating effect from CO2 and its incredibly small insignifcance as a global warming gas

http://brneurosci.org/co2.html

The net effect of all these processes is that doubling carbon dioxide would not double the amount of global warming. In fact, the effect of carbon dioxide is roughly logarithmic. Each time carbon dioxide (or some other greenhouse gas) is doubled, the increase in temperature is the same as the previous increase. The reason for this is that, eventually, all the longwave radiation that can be absorbed has already been absorbed. It would be analogous to closing more and more shades over the windows of your house on a sunny day -- it soon reaches the point where doubling the number of shades can't make it any darker.

The boogie man CO2 global warming is dead and buried its so yesterday junk science

Derry

As Co2 concentration increase the temperature influence they exert is logarithmic...
    I don’t know that this is true, but let’s assume it is for a moment. What happens if the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere increases exponentially?
    Even a doubling of CO2 level s from 380 PPM to 740PPM which wouldnt happen before 2255...
    Hang on there now – what are you basing that on?
    ...will probaly have no heating effect dectable to the earth system
    :confused: Doesn’t that contradict what you just said above?

from the piece he linked to.

Even a doubling of CO2 level s from 380 PPM to 740PPM which wouldnt happen before 2255...
    from the piece he linked to.
    Ah, I see it now. Hmm, extrapolating a 250 year trend from 50 years of data? Not exactly statistically rigorous.

I don’t know that this is true, but let’s assume it is for a moment. What happens if the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere increases exponentially?

Humans account for 7.5 billion tons per annum or as we showed a while back we carbonise some 1/250,000,000 part of the atmoshere per day

The earlier point I made the limit for oxyegen that exist to burnt up shows us that if humans were the only source of CO2 it would take us ~200,000 years to turn all the oxyegn into CO2

We would never achieve that all the fuel in the planet that we have is limited to some ~15,000 years max

Ball park that comes from extracting oil gas coal and other things like burning down forests whatever .Even if we hell bent mad to set fire to all the fossil fuels we could find in the shortest time the limits we would be are that we have maxuim 1000 years of oil at todays rates to find and burn.5000 years of natural gas to burn at todays rates and some 10,000 years of coal to be burnt.When we turn all that into CO2 that still doesnt reduce the worlds atmoshere from 21% oxyegen presently down to even 19% oxyegen

Now we can see that is worst case senario .

Logic tells us that within a hundred maybe max 200 years we will have another solution be it solar whatever so we wont be making any more CO2 after that .

In the 18th century they predicted Londons growth in horse drawn wagons would have London 6 feet deep in house crap before 1900 .New Solutions like trams and cars sorted that problem out

So CO2 is just our new horse crap problem to worrry our tiny brains about and let Al Gore make a boggie man out of it so as to charge us taxxes for what was once free the air in the sky

It takes lot of energy and man power to extract fuel from fossil fuels so the chances to go exponential are really not likely and even if we did it still doesnt look to be a threat to the planet

:confused: Doesn’t that contradict what you just said above?

On the link

Very interesting the link states that since the level of CO2 was 280PPM and is now 380 PPM the levels has only risen 23%
    So this alarmist talk of massive rise is just more crap

The graph shows the likely trend stripping out new non fossil fuel solution arriving is for CO2 to be double by the year 2255

Factor in we stop using fossil fuels in 2100 and then we never reach double todays 380PPM and even if we did reach double the temperature rise will be a max of less than 0.6 degrees

It all bogie man suff this CO2

So the real question is why has Al Gore got the carbon trading rights for all the world sown up on junk science so we pay taxxes to to that moron so he get rich on junk science

As a Irish person the idea to pay tax in the form of a carbon tax to AlGore with this junk science really gets up my nose

Man this CO2 is the scam of the century

Derry

• Advertisement

Very interesting the link states that since the level of CO2 was 280PPM and is now 380 PPM the levels has only risen 23%

while i believe some GW advocates are guilty of alarmism, your friends graph doesnt cut it either since the graph is not rising linearly.

Advertisement