Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Furet wrote: »
    Gotta say, not as advanced as I was expecting.

I guess bog standard pics dont help but it was extremely difficult to find any advanced structure or part of the mainline. If any scheme is going to slip into 2011 its this one.

Scruff wrote: »
    Which of those covers the mountrath - nenagh section?

Nenagh-Castletown. It seems to be progressing very slowly. Do you live anywhere along that stretch Scruff?

I got a link to the Nenagh-Castletown scheme by kildare co co:

Nenagh-Castletown

not sure if we can find which is an overbridge just as bad as the NRA's maps

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

Some photos of the beam lifts a few wks ago,
    Str 12 just outside moneygall,

2009_0717work0115.jpg
    2009_0717work0114.jpg
    2009_0717work0111.jpg

2009_0717work0102.jpg
    2009_0717work0105.jpg

Thanks for the great pics. Thats the bridge for J23 btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Very cool images!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Great snaps, cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The bridge decks have been up a while now. It's been 4 weeks since I past and they were already up

mysterious wrote: »
    The bridge decks have been up a while now. It's been 4 weeks since I past and they were already up

Im lucky so, that i mentioned in my post that the photos were taken a few weeks ago:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Just bumping this thread to remind everyone of its existence!

This photo taken by bacon&cabbage, showing junction 21 of the scheme. Dated 28 September 2009:

Image0042.jpg

There's a bit on Castletown - Nenagh in this online publication from page 9.

The 36km Nenagh-Castletown scheme is due to open in December 2010

One point I picked up from the article above. Surely this is not possible. I reckon it will drop into 2011.

tech2 wrote: »
    One point I picked up from the article above. Surely this is not possible. I reckon it will drop into 2011.

Some sections are very advanced while others are not Techy. I can see why you would assume its not that advanced. But this scheme is 36km long! The earthworks was huge from Clash to East of Roscrea! The amount of different soil variances and altitude differences is pretty dulating.

About 5 weeks ago they layed the first layer of tarmac west of Moneygall. This scheme is slow, but I do think it will open ontime. It was meant to open in september 2010.

Lads, any chance of an update on this road? I see that there's a stop/go system in place on the N62 3km south of Roscrea; unless I'm mistaken, that's where the new M7 junction 22 will be.

Furet wrote: »
    Lads, any chance of an update on this road? I see that there's a stop/go system in place on the N62 3km south of Roscrea; unless I'm mistaken, that's where the new M7 junction 22 will be.

Yep that's where J22 is, maybe we should make a request for photos on the regional forums and post them up here then. It worked for G-C before I started taking some pics for the scheme.

Btw some information about one overbridge that is open to traffic that was posted on the M7 thread:
    Head about 1km west from Moneygall. Take the second right turn past the 100kph speed limit sign. Head down there about 500m or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Looking west from J21 at the weekend (near Borris in Ossory)

Image0055.jpg

Cheers, B&C.

Slow going! Perhaps it's a trick of the camera, but the mainline past the junction doesn't look very advanced at all.

This section is very unadvanced. But from Moneygall and Nenagh things are really picking up. The Moneygall interchange is ongoing. The Nenagh interchange is speeding up. The earthworks are almost done.

I asked the siteman about when it's going to finished he said october 2010.

All the bridges are complete. I can't say from the Borris in ossary end though!.

I will post up pictures once I figure how to send it off my phone.

I will take some pics this week and post up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

This section is very unadvanced. But from Moneygall and Nenagh things are really picking up. The Moneygall interchange is ongoing. The Nenagh interchange is speeding up. The earthworks are almost done.

I asked the siteman about when it's going to finished he said october 2010.

All the bridges are complete. I can't say from the Borris in ossary end though!.

I will post up pictures once I figure how to send it off my phone.

The earthworks east facing slips at the Nenagh Interchange have yet to commence. All the bridges are not complete between Nenagh and Moneygall. Also it is very doubtful that the scheme will open in October 2010.

The earthworks east facing slips at the Nenagh Interchange have yet to commence. All the bridges are not complete between Nenagh and Moneygall. Also it is very doubtful that the scheme will open in October 2010.

Cus they are working on the west facing ones... lol.. They can't touch the east facing ones until they retrofit the bridge and move the R445 alignment.

Well i spoke with the guys at the site I will ask again tomorrow,

Cus they are working on the west facing ones... lol.. They can't touch the east facing ones until they retrofit the bridge and move the R445 alignment.

Yet you state in your earlier post that.
    mysterious wrote:
    The Nenagh interchange is speeding up. The earthworks are almost done.

So, how does <50% of the earthworks = "nearly done"?

BTW, you still haven't backed up your claim that "all the bridges are complete".

Yet you state in your earlier post that.

So, how does <50% of the earthworks = "nearly done"?

BTW, you still haven't backed up your claim that "all the bridges are complete".

I never said all bridges

Earthworks I meant was the mainline. The Nenagh interchange has been untouched until last. The Moneygall and N62 interchanges have been ongoing.

But if you want to make an argument about this. I will leave you here.:D

All the bridges are complete.

I never said all bridges

Now, how exactly are those two sentences different? Answers on a postcard please to the usual address. First prize will be the gift of irony.

Ok lads, I have been saying for months that I will post pictures. But I have lost a lot of my pictures over the whole year due to loss of phone and what not. I still have many over the course of the year saved. I will over the next week or two post them on here. I have said to Furet about this already. So I will get them all together. I promise I will contribute more. It seems the M7 despite all it's setbacks and problems with money/finances, it has gotten the least attention with regards to picture snapping.

I will take on that role from now on. So just want to thank all those who have gotten out of their way to get pictures of the M7 over the last year or two.

Final part to my question, Where can you buy decent cheap trees to plant on roadside and what trees is best to plant. I don't really want to buy massive awakard trees that take forever to grow and forever to blossom either. So what are you tips? I'm already planting flowers and blubs atm.

I am aslo quite angry at the contractor that is currently onsite who are working on the Nenagh bypass interchange end. They have dug up every tree and shrub on it's course and destroyed everything. There should be some sort of solution to these current issues whereby trees and shrubs can be replanted. Of course there is allowance for not all to be saved. But i think it's degrading and downright lazyiness to destroy everything that once grew on the roadside coming up to the Nenagh bypass interchange. Mnay of these native wonderful trees have been growing there for the last 10 years. It was actually quite impressionable to see many Irish plants been planted on many roadside motorways. This is something the NRA put alot of work and effort into before many of the MIUs. Now this kind of nature work is almost non existent. Ireland were the forefront of growing all sorts of Native trees up to the late 1990s. What the hell has happened folks???

I just want to bring my conclusion as to why I'm angry about all of this again. There is at least 400 plants and trees destroyed and bulldozed in exchange of bear grass once the new slips are opened to traffic for the new M7 in that area alone. I'm also aware this is happening all over the country with many new roads taking shape. I ask, is this the kind of reality we want? Rip our countryside and not take any care along the way by giving something back to nature? I am baffled with regards to the NRA lack of respect in nature, something they did have more respect for up through the years.

Regards.

Now, how exactly are those two sentences different? Answers on a postcard please to the usual address. First prize will be the gift of irony.

Oh stop been childish The word is bar, you deliberately took my quotes out of context. If you quoted the whole sentence you would not have to play these silly games. I thought you would have the cop on and take yourself more seriously than this kind of tit for tat.:rolleyes:

I said all the bridges from Monegall to Nenagh were completed.

Which does not mean all bridges on the Castletown scheme is completed. Most bridges are indeed nearly finshed however. If you want to take my post out of context again, go ahead, but your making quite a judgement about yourself.

With all respect, please stop trying to get my reaction in order to gain some ridicoulous argument out of it. I have more important things to do with my time.

Lads, the Arch bridge looks terribly narrow on the inside. It can fit 4 running lanes, but It will be much tighter than the other bridges. The Arch is right up against the Merging inside lane (which will now be a running lane) That merging lane is also slightly narrower than a running lane.

With a median, hard strips on either side, Would it be better if the sunk the Road by 2 metres to give more width to the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

mysterious:

Just an off-topic note about planting - the M20 is an example of nice planting of native trees, quite a mix too and not out of place compared to small bits of local woods near the road in parts, or along the railway line. Now almost ten years later it's finally looking quite good. Next spring should be quite impressive (indeed with the rain early in the year and later in the summer, there was a huge growth spurt this year).

My concern would be that with these trees maturing, we need crash barriers along the motorway verges.

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote: »
    mysterious:

Just an off-topic note about planting - the M20 is an example of nice planting of native trees, quite a mix too and not out of place compared to small bits of local woods near the road in parts, or along the railway line. Now almost ten years later it's finally looking quite good. Next spring should be quite impressive (indeed with the rain early in the year and later in the summer, there was a huge growth spurt this year).

My concern would be that with these trees maturing, we need crash barriers along the motorway verges.

If people drived properly and responsbily we wouldn't "need" to put barriers on every stretch of road.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement