Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

dmeehan wrote: »
    does anyone have the figures for the traffic count between killarney and tralee (n22)?
    I drive this everyday and at rush hour it can get quite busy. also, all it takes is one tourist to slow down to take in the scenery/mountains and the whole road comes to a 60km/h "standstill" - there are very few overtaking opportunities

8,078 was recorded for April going through Farranfore. I like the new stretch that was completed a few years ago between Bealagrellagh-Gortatlea. I think that this road needs to be prioritised before the Tralee bypass IMO. Some parts are very poor for a national route tbh. Its by no means the worst however.

Also construction has started on the Limerick rd today. I didnt get a chance for pics unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

tech2 wrote: »

Also construction has started on the Limerick rd today. I didnt get a chance for pics unfortunatley.
    Yep..i was just going to post this,and the road up the maum will be closed for a length of time starting this week too.Bit of an inconvenience for the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

cool, i might try and get some pics myself

There will be a computer simulation of the new bypass running on a screen in Tomo Burkes old window in castleisland town.Must try and get a look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

800px-N21CastleislandtoAbbeyfeale.JPG

Reading the discussion about roundabouts/overpasses prompted me to reply. In the distance of this picture, you can see where there is a ghost island in the middle of the road, to facilitate the junction with the old N21 and ultimately the R567, which is quite a busy road itself. I never could understand why the NRA didn't design an interchange near the overpass at the creamery at Fealesbridge, but decided instead to have two dangerous T-junctions. There was a fatal accident at the junction in the picture above, 4 months after this stretch of road opened and there is no way this would have occured had there been an interchange at the creamery.

• Advertisement

There will be a computer simulation of the new bypass running on a screen in Tomo Burkes old window in castleisland town.Must try and get a look at this.

Interesting I was actually told there was a similated drive through a few weeks ago but havnt got around to go looking at it yet. Heres the kerryman article about it:

Bypass computer simulation set to go on public display

I WENT on a Computer Simulated Drive Through of the N21 Castleisland Bypass on Monday afternoon with the newly elected Mayor of Kerry Cllr. Bobby O'Connell, Paul Curry, project manager and Frank Guerineau, deputy project manager. We shared the experience at the Kerry National Roads Design Office on the third floor of the Island Centre building here on Main Street.

The purpose of my presence there was to convey to readers in the locality that they will be able to view the simulation at a window near them later this week.

Bypass campaigner, Jeremy Burke has offered the window of the old Tomo Burke Electrical shop at Lower Main Street as a viewing station for the amazingly accurate simulation.

The journey takes the virtual passenger on the 5.4km stretch of the bypass from the roundabout on the Killarney Road to the end at the Dooneen Roundabout and back again.

On the way it documents every bridge, river, drain and ditch. Even the areas which have undergone archaeological surveys can be seen on the sides of the road as you're 'driven' along. Based on ordinance survey maps and projected work planning, the simulation takes you through the style and width of road with all the markings, warnings and signposts.

A flyover or over-bridge in the Portdubh / Mullaghmarkey area leads the viewers into an area of carriageway with eight metre high embankments as they head towards the Dooneen Roundabout.

The need for extra heavy excavation here has led to the closure of the road from Ballinaboul Cross to the Dulague North T Junction with effect from Monday last and gates were expected to be erected there this week. This stretch is expected to remain closed to through traffic until at least Christmas while the overall project is scheduled to be complete and open for business for the Christmas of 2010. On the journey from Dooneen to the Knocknagore Roudnabout I noticed a vista similar to that which delights the eye at Glounsharoon - when you get your first glimpse of the valley and hills below you. As drivers will be coming downhill from the over-bridge near Paddy Flynn's they will hit the brow of a hill there to be presented with a view of Maine Valley below with the Killarney mountains as a backdrop.

That's in the future. Bring your mind back to the coming Thursday – if you'll pardon my mangled sense of time. Roundabout areas are being marked on both the Tralee and Killarney roads at present and signs will be erected tomorrow to warn drivers of new speed restrictions in these zones.

These are not temporary measures and the areas will have statutory status. That means that gardai will have the powers to prosecute any driver who exceeds the applied speed limit there and that will apply from tomorrow morning.

With so much uncertainty over the past few years about the prospects of the bypass this concrete evidence before us is the most welcome sight in years.

In the course of the preparatory work 84 acres of land was acquired through negotiations with a total of 32 landowners and extensive archaeological surveys were carried out over that area.

There is no doubt that the economic difficulties we're going through at present has lightened traffic considerably at strange times of the day here. And yet the town and its approach roads can be thrown into the most appalling tangle of traffic at what grown-ups call 'rush-hour.' Our little rush hours can be 'held' at anytime of the day and are known to be woefully unpredictable both in density and duration. Our notoriety on that front has spread far and wide.

On the notorious Limerick Road corner here a football club from Roscommon spent a day collecting funds one Saturday last year – and others from equally distant places do likewise as our infamy continues to spread.

The Christmas of 2010 should provide the business community of Castleisland with an unprecedented opportunity for self promotion and a shopping festival shouldn't be ruled out. The town has a time honoured reputation for good value and the planning for an event to coincide with the opening of the bypass should be put in place without delay.

In the meantime, keep an eye on Tomo Burke's window this weekend for the computer simulation and on your speedometer in the new roundabout areas - if you're a driver.

http://www.kerryman.ie/local-notes/bypass-computer-simulation-set-to-go-on-public-display-1800824.html

Things are moving on nicely on the tralee road,more fencing has been erected recently,the speed limit signs seem to be up and there is truckloads of earth being moved around.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

. I never could understand why the NRA didn't design an interchange near the overpass at the creamery at Fealesbridge, but decided instead to have two dangerous T-junctions. quote]
    Simple answer here is cost,as is usual in this country.A basic interchange at the creamery wouldnt have been that difficult to install as the new road was already crossing over the old road.
    It seems alot of newly built roads have bad junction layouts.The turn down to gortaclea mart on the Tralee road is a particular case,no markings,no ghost island or anything,yet there is tractors and trucks turning there every day,i use that road on a regular basis and on wet mornings with bad visibility it is very dangerous,i have been almost rear ended more than once.

Here is the latest on the bypass
    CASTLEISLAND: Speed of progress should see bypass finish ahead of schedule

THE sheer volume of work completed on the bypass project to date, the understated presence of men and machinery on all fronts, has really impressed the hard pressed motorists and commentators on hill and valley around here.

The contracting company, BAM are the ones in charge and the work here is now well into its third month.

Work began on the Killarney Road-based compound in late April and office, engineering and canteen facilities were put in place.

Heavy machinery marched in before the June local and European election and we all wondered if they'd be marched back up the hill after. Oh we of little political faith!

I was invited a couple of weeks ago to a local briefing on the progress of the project to date.

There I met Brian Cunningham – a Monaghan man and chartered engineer and head of BAM Civil Ltd with its base in Kill, Co. Kildare. BAM project manager, Donal O'Shea and Kerry County Council project manager, Paul Curry. The briefing was facilitated by Kerry County Council representative, Padraig Corkery.

We looked at the wall-mounted maps detailing every twist and turn from the Killarney Road roundabout off up through the fields to the Dooneen exit on the Limerick Road.

As you can imagine, the top table team at the compound agreed that the progress to date has been to their satisfaction. This is a state they intend to continue throughout the autumn and winter months.

On asking, I got a brief history of the archaeology of the route and learned that nothing of great importance was unearthed in the exhaustive and compulsory pre-construction assessment. There were traces of fulachta fiadh and farming practices here and there and some evidence of long gone inhabitants – including an axe-head.

The co-operation the work and its agents have received from the locals and landowners along the route has been a matter of great encouragement for the project team.

On a tour of the foundation of the route later in the morning with Waterville native, Donal O'Shea I encountered this at first hand.

Knocknagore-based farmer, Willie Reidy had a couple of minor issues: There was a pool of trapped water from an inadvertently blocked drain; a cattle-crossing gap which had been buried in earth needed to be cleared and resurfaced with pencil. This request was immediately passed on to the area foreman and with an emphasis of urgency placed on it.

There is little or no contact between the commuting public here and the project team workers or machinery. This is because of the company policy of working 'off-line' – in other words: the office, machinery yards and service areas are all within the route of the soon –to-be bypass.

The current road building process employs up to 40 locals and material and plant hire from the area is being used in the construction.

Many of the construction crew come into the town for lunch - either in the local restaurants or to the delicounters of the supermarkets.

At the rate of current progress the projected finishing time of Christmas 2010 could easily slide towards us by a couple of months at least.

The project team are in agreement with that assessment too. They're cautious of unpredictable weather conditions over the winter months and any predictions on an early opening time are shaded in that caution.

25f380c8-9551-465f-_380466t.jpg
    Work on the Castleisland Bypass is clearly etching its way into the landscape from Killarney Road on the bottom right of the picture to the Limerick Road. Insets: BAM project manager, Donal O'Shea pictured at the Tralee Road roundabout. The foundation... Credit: photographs courtesy of Kerry County Council. Photo by John Reidy / Aerial

Link

I think I predicted August at the earliest.

• Advertisement

I saw the computer simulation in Tomo Burkes window during the week,its very well put together,anyone with any interest in this project should try and get a look at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N21_road_(Ireland)
    Wikipedia article on the N21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N21_road_(Ireland)
    Wikipedia article on the N21.

I added the Castleisland bypass section to that and the picture. I might create a separate section on the page altogether though titled under construction and post up some pictures from time to time. I am currently working on the M18 wikipedia page with fellow boardsies!

I might have a look at road construction in the next fews as I haven't managed to go on site yet. The road overbridge is one section I will be looking to see even though the road is closed to traffic

caught a glimpse of a diversion sign in Faranfore yesterday, advising motorists to continue on the Tralee road in order to get to Castleisland/Abbeyfeale and Limerick

Was this something to do with the bypass construction??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

No nothing to do with the bypass,just a bit of road surfacing going on at the narrow bridge

Has the roundabout for the Tralee road been erected yet?

Hopefully I will get a few photos of the scheme during next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The missus went through there on Sunday, said that the roundabout was up for single lane traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Has the roundabout for the Tralee road been erected yet?

Hopefully I will get a few photos of the scheme during next week.
    groovie wrote: »
    The missus went through there on Sunday, said that the roundabout was up for single lane traffic.

I drove that way lastnight at about 1am and it was still exactly as groovie said above

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

you would imagine that the n21-n23 section could open relatively quickly.
    this would take the killarney/farranfore traffic round to enter castleisland from the western side. it might ease the congestion at the n21/n23 junction somewhat. though i admit that the limerick bound traffic would still need to move through the centre of castleisland...

fresca wrote: »
    you would imagine that the n21-n23 section could open relatively quickly.
    this would take the killarney/farranfore traffic round to enter castleisland from the western side. it might ease the congestion at the n21/n23 junction somewhat. though i admit that the limerick bound traffic would still need to move through the centre of castleisland...

As in the Tralee rd to Farranfore rd? Yeah it can be quite busy on the N23 front when approaching Castleisland a peak times but the N21 can be just as busy.

Is anyone located near the pound road? There is an overbridge under construction along this road. Part of the road is diverted for the road works and it will reopen in January which I'm thinking the overbridge may well be completed by then.

I keep forgetting to check how this scheme is progressing when I'm down at home :mad:

• Advertisement

As in the Tralee rd to Farranfore rd? Yeah it can be quite busy on the N23 front when approaching Castleisland a peak times but the N21 can be just as busy.

I spent 30 mins at JK O'Connor's last friday evening... coming from n21 tralee side... heading towards limerick... lots of traffic coming in from n23 farranfore side.
    when you think about it, the main limerick to tralee road, comes to a T-junction with traffic lights at castleisland. seems like madness?

anyway, 1 more year to go and it will be bypassed!!!

when you think about it, the main limerick to tralee road, comes to a T-junction with traffic lights at castleisland. seems like madness?

Yeah it is and more national primary routes do also. The N18 ends at Claregalway with a T junction with traffic lights. Before the traffic light were installed last year you had to stop and wait for about 5 mins to get onto the N17 as the road is so busy.
    anyway, 1 more year to go and it will be bypassed!!!

It should be done for September 2010 is what I've been told. Hopefully motorists will know how to use the new road effeciently pulling into the slow lane if not overtaking.

Hopefully motorists will know how to use the new road effeciently pulling into the slow lane if not overtaking.

like thats ever likely to happen!
    maybe if we stopped calling it the SLOW lane there mightn't be as much of a stigma attached to it ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CantonaDieu

Is anyone located near the pound road? There is an overbridge under construction along this road. Part of the road is diverted for the road works and it will reopen in January which I'm thinking the overbridge may well be completed by then.

I keep forgetting to check how this scheme is progressing when I'm down at home :mad:

The overbridge on the Pound Rd is progressing and has some of the structure in place, it is supposed to be finished before Xmas according to reports. This is been given priority due to Curranes National School being effectively cut off from Castleisland town and pupils/parents having to go through town up the Limerick Rd, past McAuliffe trucking etc down the maum to the school...a right pain!

dmeehan wrote: »
    like thats ever likely to happen!
    maybe if we stopped calling it the SLOW lane there mightn't be as much of a stigma attached to it ?? :D

We should just call the outside one the overtaking lane then everyone will understand :D

I know I've been bashing on about photos but this thread really needs some at this stage, I wont be around Castleisland for a while but will aim to provide some photos of the progress soon and hopefully bi-monthly updates.

The overbridge on the Pound Rd is progressing and has some of the structure in place, it is supposed to be finished before Xmas according to reports.

Cheers for the update. I will be heading up that way to check it out in a few weeks. :)
    This is been given priority due to Curranes National School being effectively cut off from Castleisland town and pupils/parents having to go through town up the Limerick Rd, past McAuliffe trucking etc down the maum to the school...a right pain!

Wow thats some detour there!

The Castleisland bypass section on the Kerry County Council website has been updated:

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n21castleislandbypass/

It gives a good map on the bypass and also earlier parts of original route selection.

Maybe we could be seeing the overbridge opening to traffic by the end of the year.

The Advert pdf indicates that L-2017 (Pound Road) will be closed until Dec 21 to facilitate overbridge construction. Should be nearly there by now. Will try get photos at weekend....

Finally, some pthotos of N21 Castleisland bypass scheme.
    Taken sun 22 nov 2009.
    Sorry about delay...

n21_01 is looking south (toward farranfore) from roundabout on tralee road
    n21_02 is roundabout on tralee road
    n21_03 is looking north (toward abbeyfealfe) from roundabout on tralee road
    n21_04 is of pound road overbridge
    n21_05 is of pound road overbridge (north face)

n21_01 is looking south (toward farranfore) from roundabout on tralee road
    n21_02 is roundabout on tralee road
    n21_03 is looking north (toward abbeyfealfe) from roundabout on tralee road
    n21_04 is of pound road overbridge
    n21_05 is of pound road overbridge (north face)
    n21_06 is of pound road overbridge (south)
    n21_07 is looking south (toward castleisland) from end of scheme
    n21_08 again looking south, overbridge is distance
    n21_09 again looking south, better angle on overbridge
    n21_10 more looking south

• Advertisement

n21_06 is of pound road overbridge (south)
    n21_07 is looking south (toward castleisland) from end of scheme
    n21_08 again looking south, overbridge is distance
    n21_09 again looking south, better angle on overbridge
    n21_10 more looking south

n21_11 & n21_12 ... you get a sense of the overbridge...

sunday was a pretty miserable day in kerry, so apologies for greyness.

i hope you get some sense of the scheme from these photos.

also, i don't know anything about building bridges, but it seems unlikely that bridge would open before christmas (see n21_04 & n21_05).

Advertisement