Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling "riskier" than driving

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In an age where 57% of Irish adults are overweight, 18% of which are obese. This leads to diseases which not all but the majority of which would be linked to being overweight, such the 5% of the population which are diabetic and that over 40% of all deaths are as a result of cardiovascualr disease 80% of which could be avoided if risk factors were eliminated. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of premature death in this country. 30% of government expenditure is on health. It's belived that 2,000 deaths a year are related to obesity. €4 billion per year is spent on lifestyle related illness. It's recommended that 30 minutes of physical activity for five days a week is enough to reamain healthy and would reduce the risk of diabetes by 58% and 70% in over 60s, 20% of Irish adults take no physical excersise. Prevention is better than cure!

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0610/D.0610.200511220009.html

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/S/0188/S.0188.200802280007.html... See More

http://www.ipha.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=f1c931ed-a45b-4ed0-b47a-41a3c6c0d974

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If people drove the way half those people in the video were cycling, they wouldn't last long either. I generally take comfort in the fact that the POBs aren't being killed in their scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rage_explode.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can't listen to the report just yet but more cyclists on the roads means more idiots on the roads.

I always bang on about the fact that you have to take a test to get on the main road and drive a car or drive a motorbike but any old fool who hasn't been on a bike since they were 5 can hop on a bike and "cycle" off into heavy traffic.

Cycling is only dangerous if you cycle like an idiot. It's very very very rare on my daily commute in London to be put at risk by other drivers on the road. Any time I have a whoopsie it's because I took my mind off the task at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stark wrote: »
    If people drove the way half those people in the video were cycling, they wouldn't last long either. I generally take comfort in the fact that the POBs aren't being killed in their scores.

Tend to agree. Going by the level of competence on display in Dublin, I'm surprised more people aren't killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The other day I had one clown on a bike ride straight through red lights while they were green for me. Am I wrong to ride straight at him and force him to give way? Didn't work as it happened, he just plodded on his merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

one of these fitted to the bike might work

CowCatcher.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Cycling into town on the Quays the other day, I saw an orange light, I slowed down and stopped, the bus behind me didn't ... and was going quite fast! Got so scared.
    I am not sure the report is anything we didn't know, and for sure, if my mother saw it, she'd tell me to stay the hell out of the ... outside world altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

In an age where 57% of Irish adults are overweight, 18% of which are obese. This leads to diseases which not all but the majority of which would be linked to being overweight, such the 5% of the population which are diabetic and that over 40% of all deaths are as a result of cardiovascualr disease 80% of which could be avoided if risk factors were eliminated. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of premature death in this country. 30% of government expenditure is on health. It's belived that 2,000 deaths a year are related to obesity. €4 billion per year is spent on lifestyle related illness. It's recommended that 30 minutes of physical activity for five days a week is enough to reamain healthy and would reduce the risk of diabetes by 58% and 70% in over 60s, 20% of Irish adults take no physical excersise. Prevention is better than cure!

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0610/D.0610.200511220009.html

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/S/0188/S.0188.200802280007.html... See More

http://www.ipha.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=f1c931ed-a45b-4ed0-b47a-41a3c6c0d974

Plus there are more general health benefits from reduced noise pollution and exhaust emissions levels, particularly in urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

In that clip there were only 2 of the cyclist wearing high vis clothing and maybe one or two more with helmets on. Also I didn’t notice any lights on any of the bikes.

Its up to the cyclist to make himself/herself seen to the motorist, with such a small profile on the road these items are essential but judging by that clip and what I see on the streets of Dublin every day cyclist don’t seem to care if they are seen or not until they get hit or nearly hit.

As a motorist I say stop blaming the motorist and start taking responsibility for your safety on the roads. remember the old saying be safe, be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I fear I may have used up my full quota of exploding head gifs too early in this thread....

bop1977 wrote: »
    In that clip there were only 2 of the cyclist wearing high vis clothing and maybe one or two more with helmets on. Also I didn’t notice any lights on any of the bikes.

There was a big yellow object hovering in the blue sky that was lighting them all up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Its up to the cyclist to make himself/herself seen to the motorist, with such a small profile on the road these items are essential but judging by that clip and what I see on the streets of Dublin every day cyclist don’t seem to care if they are seen or not until they get hit or nearly hit.

As a motorist I say stop blaming the motorist and start taking responsibility for your safety on the roads. remember the old saying be safe, be seen.

The clip didn't contain any night-time cycling so high-vis and lights are not mandatory.
    It's up to the motorist to be attentative and drive with due care for other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Christ above there was some terrible cycling there. Mangled bike -> result of going up the inside/stopping alongside a left-turning HGV. That should be shown to every cyclist out there as a prime example of what not to do. As for the woman who turned in front of the bus - idiocy of the highest order.
    In that clip there were only 2 of the cyclist wearing high vis clothing and maybe one or two more with helmets on.

I didn't see ANY car-drivers with helmets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Its up to the cyclist to make himself/herself seen to the motorist.

I'm sorry, but no. That clip was filmed during the day. It's up to the motorist to drive with due care and attention.

Stark wrote: »
    There was a big yellow object hovering in the blue sky that was lighting them all up though.

if this big yellow thing was so bright how did the bike end up under the lorry at lunch time? (right at the start of the clip)

if this big yellow thing was so bright how did the bike end up under the lorry at lunch time? (right at the start of the clip)

It doesn't matter if you're decked out with so much day-glo that you're radioactive. If you're in a truck's blind spot, you won't be seen.

el tonto wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but no. That clip was filmed during the day. It's up to the motorist to drive with due care and attention.

and what about the kamikazi cyclists driving the wrong way down streets and the idiot woman who swevered in front of the oncoming bus to take the right hand turn forcing the bus driver to slam on his/her brakes? where is the due care and attention there? she was also not wear and high vis clothing/helmet. also where is the due care and attention to the line of bikes breaking the red light towards the end of the clip.

concussion wrote: »

I didn't see ANY car-drivers with helmets.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

and what about the kamikazi cyclists driving the wrong way down streets and the idiot woman who swevered in front of the oncoming bus to take the right hand turn forcing the bus driver to slam on his/her brakes? where is the due care and attention there? she was also not wear and high vis clothing/helmet. also where is the due care and attention to the line of bikes breaking the red light towards the end of the clip.

Darwin will take care of these

What about them? I already mentioned that the level of bad cycling on display in Dublin at least means I'm surprised more people aren't killed. But just because some ride without due care and attention doesn't mean motorists can abdicate from their responsibilities.

She swerved in front - he slammed on the brakes. Seems to me that he saw here there, why exactly does she need a hi-viz jacket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I always bang on about the fact that you have to take a test to get on the main road and drive a car or drive a motorbike but any old fool who hasn't been on a bike since they were 5 can hop on a bike and "cycle" off into heavy traffic.

I thought the Motors forum were bad enough with way some of them go on like driving a car is some sort of complicated skill up there with flying air planes and brain surgery. I didn't expect to see that attitude here.

There's a reason the phrase "it's like riding a bike" exists; riding a bike is very very easy. Riding a bike in traffic is also very very easy provided you apply the smallest amount of common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The main problem is the planning. In Amsterdam you can't walk on the paths without hearing a bell in your ears telling you to get out of their way (cyle paths are on the paths) its a very cycle friendly city and traffic is never choc-a-bloc. Put simply. More cycle paths less danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

RedPlanet wrote: »
    The clip didn't contain any night-time cycling so high-vis and lights are not mandatory.
    It's up to the motorist to be attentative and drive with due care for other road users.

There is a misconception that hi-viz is strictly for night time usage. The scothbrite reflective strips are there to reflect lights at night - the yellow/orange material is there to attract daytime attention. Builders/engineers et al have to wear them on site for safety reasons at all times. Whilst I wouldn't say that they should be made mandatory (heaven forbid) it is up to the individual to take responsibility. For the commuting cyclist it makes sense to be more visible to all other road users.

As for the assertion that it is up to motorist to drive with care and attention, whilst this is undoubtedly true, there is no harm in giving them a few extra hints to your position. Belt and braces appoach and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes do think Cyclists could make themselves a bit brighter. Some cycle all in black with just red reflecter light at the back.

I thought the Motors forum were bad enough with way some of them go on like driving a car is some sort of complicated skill up there with flying air planes and brain surgery. I didn't expect to see that attitude here.

I used to think being able to see large moving objects in broad daylight was the most basic of human aptitude. But apparently things need to be wrapped in builders' vests for the great unwashed to see them. Driving a car may as well be as complicated as brain surgery for these people.

I vote we put reflective strips and fluorescent paint on ALL road vehicles. (This is to include horses if they are pulling traps.)

• Advertisement

A hi-viz bib don't cost a lot, I don't see what harm it is to throw one on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement