Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stark wrote: »
    What was stopping them from doing that before? I don't remember seeing restrictions on doing u-turns at the roundabout. (Not that I ever tried).
    It's currently motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know it's technically motorway at the moment. But a road like that only becomes a motorway because it leads inescapably to motorway. Just wondering what was stopping some from using the roundabout as an escape route.

Btw, seems someone has already removed the motorway designation on Openstreetmap.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stark wrote: »
    Just wondering what was stopping some from using the roundabout as an escape route.
    It's part of the M50, or was.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I saw one or two photos on archiseek, yeah, it is definitely quite impressive. :cool:

I think this is the pic ur talkin about. posted by liamwoods on archiseek. "Borrowed" without permission :rolleyes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10070&stc=1&d=1261955727

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Roryhy wrote: »
    I think this is the pic ur talkin about. posted by liamwoods on archiseek. "Borrowed" without permission :rolleyes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10070&stc=1&d=1261955727

Did someone "unborrowed" it for you? :D

I'll have to go seeking on Archery-seek so :)

Edit:
    mmmmh when I came back after looking over in archiseek the pipcture was here!! I'm cracking up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

That's not the angle I was hoping to see it from. The banking seemed more pronounced from above it on the old N3 roundabout approach looking back over this structure. You'd need to be on the off ramp M50SB to get the snap pI was thinking of. Still looks impressive though (if you ignore the blocked canal for a minute!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

I was just wondering does anyone know when the roadworks on the M50 between the Red Cow and Sandyford are going to be finished and the road opened? It looks like most of the works been done now and it will (hopefully) make such a difference to my morning communte.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Many Thanks M50 MGT! - Nice Map of the M1/M50 Interchange...

...would it be possible if you could give us the latest maps for both the N2 and N3 Junctions as well? - It would be great!

Regards! :)

Seems to me they are building this at N3: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055324295. I.e. roads over the canal/railway not under. Pics originally posted by odlum to sabre.

normal_n3new.jpg
    normal_n3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

JackieO wrote: »
    I was just wondering does anyone know when the roadworks on the M50 between the Red Cow and Sandyford are going to be finished and the road opened? It looks like most of the works been done now and it will (hopefully) make such a difference to my morning communte.
    This question has been asked a number of times over the past fortnight but no response as yet from M50 Traffic MGT - Why? I do not know... Last I heard mid-December was that delayed paperwork is a cause... :rolleyes:

The congestion from Red Cow to Dundrum every single morning is just appalling & outrageous. It now takes upwards of 30 mins to get from Red Cow to Firhouse IF you don't ramp surf... Tallaght to Firhouse S/B, including the on/off ramps look like they have only just started working... However shortly past Firhouse to Sandyford looks essentially completed for weeks now. I wish they'd just get on and open this bit up NOW as it would help relieve the congestion further behind.

I'm in no doubt that the M50 upgrade project has been one of - if not THE most - mismanaged and lackadaisical infrastructure projects in the history of the state. Yes, more so than LUAS or the Dublin Port Tunnel. Easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

This question has been asked a number of times over the past fortnight but no response as yet from M50 Traffic MGT - Why? I do not know... Last I heard mid-December was that delayed paperwork is a cause... :rolleyes:

The congestion from Red Cow to Dundrum every single morning is just appalling & outrageous. It now takes upwards of 30 mins to get from Red Cow to Firhouse IF you don't ramp surf... Tallaght to Firhouse S/B, including the on/off ramps look like they have only just started working... However shortly past Firhouse to Sandyford looks essentially completed for weeks now. I wish they'd just get on and open this bit up NOW as it would help relieve the congestion further behind.

I'm in no doubt that the M50 upgrade project has been one of - if not THE most - mismanaged and lackadaisical infrastructure projects in the history of the state. Yes, more so than LUAS or the Dublin Port Tunnel. Easily.

As works on this stretch have reached a near completion stage, a Road Safety Audit will be carried out this week involving members of SDCC, DLRCC, Garda, NRA etc. etc. Once this audit has been completed, and no issues are highlighted, an opening date for the third lane from Ballymount to Sandyford can be agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

In relation to junction 14 southbound ( stillorgan / dun laoghaire / leopardstown) would you be able to advise the people incharge of the cones that the slip needs to be extended slightly, so cones need to be moved so more cars can fit on the slip as it is very dangerous here the last week or so since schools are back as cars are having to sit on the mainline and wait to get onto the slip.

cheers.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Can I move the cones from Ballymun -> M50 south ? :) It's ready

I can't take any more delay while the light is green for the 4 cars on the roundabout to go followed by 30 seconds of nothin moving... while the 100 in the queue outbound twiddle their thumbs in between the 4-5 light changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Obviously individuals can refer to any road as what they want to, there'll still only be one correct name for it. A lot of people call the R132 the N1 but it's still the R132. In saying that nobody loses any sleep over it.

It's funny but as you head south on the M1 to the M1/M50 interchange, there are lane markings just ahead of it. The lanes of the new freeflow are marked as leading to the M50(S), but the lanes heading for the tunnel are marked as leading to the M1+City.

Is it any wonder there's confusion?

Wibbler wrote: »
    It's funny but as you head south on the M1 to the M1/M50 interchange, there are lane markings just ahead of it. The lanes of the new freeflow are marked as leading to the M50(S), but the lanes heading for the tunnel are marked as leading to the M1+City.

Is it any wonder there's confusion?
    If the builders, the NRA & the local authorities can't decide the correct name amongst themselves, what chance have the rest of us! :rolleyes:

highdef wrote: »
    That's brilliant, thank you. And thank you for such a prompt reply.

Just wondering, is this area being coned off today anyway or has my post prompted this action? I only ask because if it is due to my post, then I feel that it is fine work by yourself and your team(s) who regularly listen to what the regular Joe Soap says on this thread.

As part of the TM team, we become used to changes in layouts and new lanes etc. so we value your input as these small changes make the road safer for everybody. In relation to Ballymount to Sandyford, we should have some news this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

JackieO wrote: »

Was coming back from cherrywood last night fairly late and taking my time.. They were cleaning the inside lane northbound and tidying up the lines on the far side.. only 1 or 2 pieces of equipment left..

Has to be opening soon fairly soon-ish...

EDIT: oh and just before the firhouse exit northbound they have new exit warning signs in.. you know the 3/2/1 dashes to the exit.. Well the new ones must be about 5-6 ft high and 3 feet wide!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

from m50.ie
    25th January 2010

From 06.00 Tuesday 26th January 2010 there will be a change in traffic layout on N2 Inbound approaching M50 Interchange. This change in Traffic Layout will see traffic moved onto the newly constructed permanent layout. Please note that this is currently a temporary surface and care should be taken at all times.
    Surely this is only the N2 inbound to M50 north.... the southbound loop is still a few weeks/month away.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

from m50.ie

Surely this is only the N2 inbound to M50 north.... the southbound loop is still a few weeks/month away.

Think this is n2 from Ashbourne moving onto new alignment for going straight through towards Finglas. This alignment will ultimately be under the n2 north to m50 north freeflow bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

If the builders, the NRA & the local authorities can't decide the correct name amongst themselves, what chance have the rest of us! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna call it the M51 :P

oddiot wrote: »
    Think this is n2 from Ashbourne moving onto new alignment for going straight through towards Finglas. This alignment will ultimately be under the n2 north to m50 north freeflow bridge.

This is the new alignment of the N2 inbound approaching the M50 Interchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

thanks. so it's just the approach to the traffic light...
    judging from the red dotted lines for the proposed new road layout, I would just yet call it permanent layout...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks highdef,
    The hard shoulder in this location will be coned off today

The cones disappeared over the weekend and vehicles were driving along the hard shoulder along here again. I saw a near miss between a van and an artic coming off the free flow slip from the M1 south.....it was a VERY close shave

TV wrote: »
    The cones disappeared over the weekend and vehicles were driving along the hard shoulder along here again. I saw a near miss between a van and an artic coming off the free flow slip from the M1 south.....it was a VERY close shave

Once again this issue will be addressed today
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pc123

Hi,

over the last several months traffic on the N3 eastbound to M50 flyover has been really bad. But over the last couple of weeks it has been much much better. Not sure if it is something your team did M50TM but thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hey all,

new to this tread so havent read it all but am just wondering when the length of the m50 between redcow and dundrum will be finished?...
    Its very frustrating driving by what looks like finished lanes a two mile an hour.

pc123 wrote: »
    Hi,

over the last several months traffic on the N3 eastbound to M50 flyover has been really bad. But over the last couple of weeks it has been much much better. Not sure if it is something your team did M50TM but thanks :)

After the new layout was introduced at Scott's it took some time of trial and error to maximise the efficiency of the lights on the junction. Plus it took people some time to get used to Scott's but now it seems to be working very well. Next phase is the removal of Auburn which will be a mirror image of Scotts, probably late Feb or early March

jobless wrote: »
    hey all,

new to this tread so havent read it all but am just wondering when the length of the m50 between redcow and dundrum will be finished?...
    Its very frustrating driving by what looks like finished lanes a two mile an hour.

We will have a date for removal of all TM on the mainline from Ballymount to Sandyford by the end of this week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Next phase is the removal of Auburn which will be a mirror image of Scotts, probably late Feb or early March

That phase of work seems to have come on an awful lot even in the last week.
    That'll really make a difference once it's finished.

However, there are barely any queues heading out from the Halfway House to the Auburn Avenue roundabout nowadays so it appears the new lighting sequences and the added capacity on the road between Auburn Avenue and the M50 (I assume more cars can fit on that stretch of road due to the dip and the third lane filtering onto the M50) has made a world of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Craven Lodge

We will have a date for removal of all TM on the mainline from Ballymount to Sandyford by the end of this week

Thanks for that
    Any info on when the Knocklyon interchange will be completed?
    Its in absolute sh1t at the moment and there has been working going on here since around last April. If anything it seems to be worse now then it ever was. The cones that have replaced the old roundabout are lethal with really sharp turns now required to get onto or off the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi MGT,

Can you give a quick update regarding the opening of the remaining lanes of the new Freeflows at Junction 3,

1. M1S to M50S
    2. M50N to Port Tunnel
    3. M50N to M1N

Also can you please confirm what the works that are currently being carried out in the centre median of the M1 between the M50 Junction and Airport Junction are for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement