Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

Hey, I'm not really sure where I should ask this, so if it shouldn't be here feel free to move it.
    I'm going into First Year doing Music Technology this year and I have to do two Arts subjects with it. I'm not sure what to pick and I think I heard somewhere that you can go to different lectures before you pick what ones you want to do. Is this true?
    Also does anyone know how many hours a week Music Technology would be? Even just roughly?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

pakb1ue wrote: »
    They have changed the course since I was in first year but its pretty straight forward, but I think you only study 3 modules in 1st year CS141/CS142/CS143 which the last one being a 100% CA (ie no exam at the end of the year) and over the two semesters.

They're all 30% CA and 70% exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Rafcam wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not really sure where I should ask this, so if it shouldn't be here feel free to move it.
    I'm going into First Year doing Music Technology this year and I have to do two Arts subjects with it. I'm not sure what to pick and I think I heard somewhere that you can go to different lectures before you pick what ones you want to do. Is this true?
    Also does anyone know how many hours a week Music Technology would be? Even just roughly?
    Thanks.
    Yeah, you can try out as many subjects as you want in the first few weeks (think you have to make a definite choice by the middle of October). You will have to register for 2 arts subjects when you're registering, but you can change them if you want to.

I'm not sure how many hours Music Technology would have a week, although it would probably be something like 4-8 hours. That's usually what First Arts subjects have. Here's a link to the timetables :)

Oh thank you very much! I was trying to find a time table somewhere!
    And that's awesome about trying out the subjects!
    Thanks for your help!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

Rafcam wrote: »
    Thanks.

Last year we had 4 hours a week of lectures and then one tutorial for the computer science module (first semester they took attendance, but second semester they didn't - I ended up attending two :o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DOHERTY30691

im doing arts this year in and my aim is to go onto do psychology after ,, i was told ill need to be almost or even top of my arts class to have any hope of doing this ,, does anyone know if i need to get over a certain % or to be in say the top 5 or even top of my class ,,,, also is it an advantage to be very good at english to get a good % ,, my english is good enough , C1 in leaving ,, would someone who got an A1 be likly to find psychology easier to answer then me to answer ,, and if anyone has any tips on how to make psychology easier besides , huge hours of study , reading upcoming topics in advance , putting something in real life context i would appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Hey there,

You need to be in the top 30 of your class, excluding the ones doing psychology through science and MH106 denominated entry to psychology, and those who don't want to continue on with Psychology. If you get over 60% you should be fine (i.e. a B- in the departments marking schemes). Aim for a bit higher obviously but I think about 60 would be the bare minimum to get in.

As for the English thing... well I got an A1 in English in the leaving and I suppose it does help being able to structure an essay etc., but to be honest the style of writing for Psychology is completely different than it is for English. A concise, to the point style is favoured, rather than than the flowery narrative style one might use in an English essay.

Basic tips:
    - Attend all your tutorials - free marks
    - Get the books early from the library, there's not that many copies
    - Study the psychology style of writing - concise, scientific, no opinion, nothing stated without a reference
    - Don't be afraid of stats, it's your friend, and the easiest module to get high marks in if you just study :P
    - Talk to your tutor/lecturer if you have a problem with an essay etc., they're there to help you
    - Read journal articles, they're really great for getting a feel of what a professional psychology article should look like, and they make great reference material
    - For essays : Address the question and don't go off on tangents, re-check for errors before you submit, make sure you have an introduction, paragraph for each main point, conclusion where you restate your points...

If you do a bit of work you should be grand! It's not as hard or as scary as it can seem at first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

I got exactly 60% and I got into 2nd year psychology. Im not going to say it was easy but it certainly wanst as hard as i expected. As long as you're determined and keep up with assignments, lectures and tutorials then you're on the right track. Dont be afraid to ask for help, it could make the world of a difference. I didnt Put in as much effort as I could of and I managed it, so imagine what you could achieve if you really push yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 krazykatz

Hi Doherty30691 I'm in exactly the same boat. Starting Arts in September and really want to get into Psyh next year aswell. Best of luck xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dustfree

Hi all, starting next month and am mature student. I'm interested in the above combination but worried about workload, reading, writing etc., as have been out of education for some while, any comments or info welcome, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I'm in the exact same situation as you guys, hope to God I can keep up with the marks because I don't really want anything else but Psychology!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 L.C.

Hey there I am also doing Arts in NUIM and hoping to go on to do Psychology your grades have to be in the top 30 students in Psychology to go on to second year psychology, it is good to have a diverse range words when doing essays in Psychology, Psychology is a tough subject to study but having done it for a year in a PLC course I found that if I had a real interest and understanding of the subject it was easy to get top marks in it, hope that helps u :D c ys in maynooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Metallicock

Hey all, loving the post so far really interesting!

Done a HDip in Music Production, Sound Engineering and M-Tec for the last 2 year's and got accepted into the Music Technology course down in Mynooth cause of my results. Have to pick 2 extra subjects in first year and was seriously thinking of picking Beginners German as one. Could anyone shed a little light on the subject of the beginners German course e.g. work load and atmosphere. Im really interested in Germany and the language and from what i've heard the M-tec subject in first year is pretty handy so i could focus more on my other 2 subjects. A little help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 toby92

Going into first year arts and was wondering is the above a good combination? Any advice on subjects in place of geography that would have a smaller workload or be a easier/better choice would be appreciated too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

kisaragi wrote: »
    Hey there,

You need to be in the top 30 of your class, excluding the ones doing psychology through science and MH106 denominated entry to psychology, and those who don't want to continue on with Psychology. If you get over 60% you should be fine (i.e. a B- in the departments marking schemes). Aim for a bit higher obviously but I think about 60 would be the bare minimum to get in.

As for the English thing... well I got an A1 in English in the leaving and I suppose it does help being able to structure an essay etc., but to be honest the style of writing for Psychology is completely different than it is for English. A concise, to the point style is favoured, rather than than the flowery narrative style one might use in an English essay.

Basic tips:
    - Attend all your tutorials - free marks
    - Get the books early from the library, there's not that many copies
    - Study the psychology style of writing - concise, scientific, no opinion, nothing stated without a reference
    - Don't be afraid of stats, it's your friend, and the easiest module to get high marks in if you just study :P
    - Talk to your tutor/lecturer if you have a problem with an essay etc., they're there to help you
    - Read journal articles, they're really great for getting a feel of what a professional psychology article should look like, and they make great reference material
    - For essays : Address the question and don't go off on tangents, re-check for errors before you submit, make sure you have an introduction, paragraph for each main point, conclusion where you restate your points...

If you do a bit of work you should be grand! It's not as hard or as scary as it can seem at first :)

This is very sound advice. Additionally, if you go to tutorials, be sure to actually engage with the class and if you decide you don't want to go to tutorials, at least attend the essay writing and exam preparation tutorials.

When you get work back, look at the comments you're given from the tutors. The feedback given will help you get a higher mark in future assignments. There are areas where lots of students frequently make mistakes and fail to correct themselves when given the necessary feedback (particularly referencing, it's not hard to follow a referencing style guide so at least do that right).

This may sound obvious but go to your lectures and do the required reading. Keep good notes and practise exam questions from past papers. Remember that what would do for an A at leaving cert will not give you such high marks in college. You're expected to show some original thought and not just regurgitate facts (this is true of all university subjects, not just psychology). Granted you're not expected to have any Nobel prize-winning ideas during your first year but be sure to show you understand the topic you're being examined on.

I would finally recommend buying a couple of books aside from your textbooks. An APA style guide (the standard for how to write in psychology, everything from referencing to formatting) is a useful investment, you can find them online but having a hard copy to hand would be no harm. Also worth buying from a more general perspective is a book on punctuation like Lynne Truss's Eats, Shoots and Leaves. You might think you know how to use a comma or an apostrophe but most students don't. Not being a level 10 grammar nazi is not something you will get marked down for but it is something that will improve your writing. If you write in a messy way, it is easy for complicated ideas and points to become muddled and lost. Clear, precise writing is the order of the day so get into the habit as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 krazykatz

I'm looking forward to it even more now. Can't wait to get started. C ya's in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

toby92 wrote: »
    Going into first year arts and was wondering is the above a good combination? Any advice on subjects in place of geography that would have a smaller workload or be a easier/better choice would be appreciated too!

Geography is a pretty nice subject as far as the workload goes. I did Psychology and Geography this year and my boyfriend did English, and from what I can tell geography has the nicest work load, it is much more based on continuos assessment, and a few small tests, rather than everything based on the final exam.
    English has some large essays, and a number of small, possibly weekly assignments that also add up. Though in one of the modules you have to do an essay that is worth almost 40% of the grade.
    It depends how you want to work really, Psychology is mostly based on the exam, so is is a lot of work twice a year, where as geography and some of the english modules are less stressful around exam time.

Last year we had 4 hours a week of lectures and then one tutorial for the computer science module (first semester they took attendance, but second semester they didn't - I ended up attending two :o)

Haha! I'll be sure to be there for the first semester then ;)
    But four hours and a tutorial isn't too shabby. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarara

Going into first year and don't really know what to expect!Any info for me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I am starting the above course this year and I've never done economics before. Can anyone recommend a book on economics that would be beneficial for me to read before starting this course. I was looking at economics for dummies but not sure if that will sufficient.

All recommendations made will be gladly received.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Hey,

I did 1st year Economics last year. Our book for both Macroeconomics and Microeconomics was Economics: European Edition by Krugman,Wells & Grady. It is quite costly, I think €60 so i'd recommend getting it 2nd hand from the net/2nd hand book store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

P.J O' Rourke's annotated The Wealth of Nations. It's probably 100% irrelevant to your course but it's a super read and much easier going than Smith's original.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Wow, and I thought I was the only one who read textbooks for courses that hasn't even started yet ;)

You may want to get "business accounting for irish students" too, it's our accounting book. It's quite heavy so you better get started early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hi,
    im also doing the same course as well but might be switchimg to accounting for good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hey heffo, in my experience, the economics forum is best for questions likee this as they're pretty smart over there. They have a thread on economics resources(i.e books) too. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055999305

To answer your question, there isn't really a book that you can just read cover to cover to get an idea about economics. Economics is a science after all, so you're unlikely to find a real page turner and you need to learn the basic terms and definitions + equations before you can really get bogged into theory.

If you're going to buy a textbook (you don't really need to) then you could just start by reading that but I'd advise you not to bother, first year is a doddle and it'd be far more useful to start reading around Christmas time when you have a grasp of the basics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm researching possible post-grads at the moment, does anyone have any experience with the MA in Military History and Strategic Studies?

Any feedback or info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I do believe meganj does this very masters! I'll get on to her and kindly ask her to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I did it the first year it was out. The lecturers are great. Really helpful.

Most of the course is really interesting but the international relations aspect can get really heavy at times. Some of the earlier assignments can also be a bit of a nuisance as they are to do with referencing and the correct way to use statistics etc.

Make sure you have some idea of what you want to do your thesis on as you'll be getting started on that in the first week or two.

You'll also find that strategic studies will be having you look at conflict in the present sense eg. Afghanistan etc

I believe they took them for a field trip to Normandy this year.

All in all it's a great course.

Msc Geocomputation....anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Hello all! Cillian here :D and in a number of short weeks I'll be starting first year doing Media Studies - CANNOT WAIT :D
    Three things really - firstly is anybody else here going to be starting first year Media Studies too?
    Secondly, are there any posters here already studying it? Would you care to tell me anything you'd like to about the course? Anything you think I should know maybe?
    Thirdly, I'll study Spanish for the whole four years (I'm gonna do the BA int) and I've got to pick one more arts subject. I'm thinking maybe Anthropology, but anybody have any sort of good recommendations for an interesting subject to study just for one year?
    Thanks, everybody!

Advertisement