Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your questions for Paul Gogarty TD here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CompFix wrote: »
    300,000 jobs, where are they coming from?
    And are these permanent positions? Or are they Seasonal; Temporary positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Do you feel ashamed that your government has introduced measures that mean homeless and cancer sufferers pay for their medicines?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bleg, can you or someone, link up a reference for that? I hadnt heard of it before and am curious what you are referring to.
    Thanks,

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Newff

On the PSO levy, the CER says that it's a formula laid out by the EU in it's directives, I've looked at the directive and I can't see a formula. It uses words like apportionment and charge to customer, but it doesn't determine the basis of apportionment. In gas legislation the PSO levy method of apportionment is at the direction of the Minister so I would say it's the same for electricity.

So the minister is imposing a flat charge which Dan Boyle said on Frontline the Greens were against, as it didn't adhear to polluter pays principle.

There was nothing to stop Ryan imposing a levy based on consumption, they can say it's only a €5er but based on consumption many would be paying higher, and would be harder to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DeVore wrote: »
    Bleg, can you or someone, link up a reference for that? I hadnt heard of it before and am curious what you are referring to
    It's the 50 cent item per prescribed medication item that they introduced a few days ago...
    http://home.thejournal.ie/medical-card-holders-to-pay-more-for-pharmacy-bills-from-today-2010-10/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What is the green party's definiton of high speed broadband ?
    Is it the same as that put forward by eamon ryan ?

I would recommend that politics mod and broadband provider oscarbravo could question him on this.

Why isn't there a serious investigation being carried out of nuclear power options ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

my 3 questions for Deputy Gogarty;

Q1-Ben Bernanke as head of the US Fed Reserve has arguably the most important job in finance in the world, his salary is $185,000 PA. Patrick Neary the retired former head of the Financial Regulator has a pension of €145,000 (at todays fx rate =$201k). How can our state justify paying such an exorbitant pension to someone who performed so poorly?

Q2-Why dont we have a fully vouched expense system for politicians?

Q3-Given the last time the Seanad rejected a Dail Bill was in the 1960's, how can we justify the expenses incurred in running such a toothless body?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bleg, can you or someone, link up a reference for that? I hadnt heard of it before and am curious what you are referring to.
    Thanks,

DeV.

I'm assuming it refers to the new charges on perscriptions for medical card holders?

(EDIT: Beaten to it by Sparks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

My question:

after turning so many corners, after revising so many estimates, after reneging on so many promises, after getting so much wrong (bailout would be cheapest, AIB wouldnt be nationalised, NAMA will make a profit) and in the light of the biggest drop in consumer sentiment last month and our withdrawal from the bond markets, do you think that this government has lost the confidence of the people and the Market and therefore have little credibility left?

And if you feel like it that could be followed up with:

Do you think confidence and credibility are important? Can you seriously say you have these things (if he does reply that way) when your approval ratings are so low and the markets are charging exorbitant rates for us to borrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Not an issue that directly relates to Paul Gogarty, but as a member of the Green party he is involved in bringing in this amendment. How does he feel about the Department of Education bringing in an amendment to allow completely unqualified teachers to teach in a classroom at a time where there are simply hundreds of unemployed teachers. Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

An obvious question - now, at least - is what the thinking behind the call for a national forum on the economy or a national government is, and how serious the Greens are about it. Would they be prepared to sacrifice the party (by agreeing to pull the plug and force a GE) to get agreement on either of those proposals?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

How does Mr Gogarty feel about the damage that himself and his fellow deputies have done to the legitimate green agenda in this country..at a time when these issues are more important than ever, this administration has ensured the end of any viable green party in the country..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Scofflaw wrote: »
    An obvious question - now, at least - is what the thinking behind the call for a national forum on the economy or a national government is, and how serious the Greens are about it. Would they be prepared to sacrifice the party (by agreeing to pull the plug and force a GE) to get agreement on either of those proposals?

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Didn't Labour just ask them the same question (though in the form of a challange) last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Sparks wrote: »
    Didn't Labour just ask them the same question (though in the form of a challange) last night?

I can't find any reference to it on the Oireachtas site or on KildareStreet.com, so I don't know.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Paul, you've mentioned on Twitter about the patriotism that fights to protect our economic sovereignty. We are required to submit our state budget plan for the next four years in advance, to an external organisation, for approval and possible ammendment - effectively making decisions on Irish economic policy non-sovereign.

So, in that context, and given that this approval is not optional, do you still believe that we have economic sovereignty, when the budget that you will vote on is one that has had to be given approval outside of the state? Does this not imply a loss of economic sovereignty, once an absolute veto is enabled from outside the state?

Thanks for taking the time to engage with the public.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Thanks,

DeV.

Referring to the prescription tax that has been introduced unilaterally by the govt despite international best practice, concerns from patients, GPs and pharmacists.

The Dept of Health & Children's Expert Group on Resource Allocation and Financing in the Health Sector has equally stated:

“In the view of the group, the recently introduced capped co-payment for prescriptions for medical card holders is unlikely to meet the criterion of raising enough revenue to justify the administration costs,” the report said.

“Evidence suggests that any deterrent effects will be to reduce the use of both necessary and less necessary drugs, with possible harmful effects on health.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0710/1224274419367.html?via=rel

Paul Gogarty voted this through in the Dail. I'm just wondering if he feels ashamed in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

My question for Gogarty, even though I'm not expecting anything like an honest answer.

If the Greens had voted not to go into government to prop up FF in 2007, would you have:
    1. Stood behind Bertie applauding him as your party leader did in that infamous picture on his retirement?
    2. Voted in favour of protecting Willie O'Dea in his vote of no confidence?
    3. Voted for NAMA?
    4. Supported the fact that those who stand to benefit financially from NAMA are deliberately being kept secret from FF?
    5. Supported the fact that all bondholders in Anglo are deliberately kept secret by FF?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. Supported the fact that those who stand to benefit financially from NAMA are deliberately being kept secret from FF?
    kept secret from FF or kept secret by FF?

kevteljeur wrote: »
    Paul, you've mentioned on Twitter about the patriotism that fights to protect our economic sovereignty. We are required to submit our state budget plan for the next four years in advance, to an external organisation, for approval and possible ammendment - effectively making decisions on Irish economic policy non-sovereign.

So, in that context, and given that this approval is not optional, do you still believe that we have economic sovereignty, when the budget that you will vote on is one that has had to be given approval outside of the state? Does this not imply a loss of economic sovereignty, once an absolute veto is enabled from outside the state?

Thanks for taking the time to engage with the public.

k
    Thats a silly anti lisbon question.No one and no country that has to borrow money in circumstances where banks don't want to lend it for fear of not getting it back, has economic sovereignty.
    Thats always been the way since the dinosaurs.

Economic sovereignity in that case has been ceded by the eejits spending what they don't have.
    I would suggest not wasting this opportunity with superfluous makey uppy anti lisbon,anti EU nonsense like that.
    Questions like why Neary's pension is more than Ben Bernanke's salary are way more pertinent and how do the greens stand over it.

[mind you does anyone seriously expect kenny or gilmore to shave taoiseachs and ministers salaries when they get into power... hypocrites].

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Why wont you pull the plug on this most unpopular Government the Dogs in the street can tell you we all want a new Government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Do you think you will be re'elected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I would like to know why the greens as part of government allow special interest groups such as IBEC and the Trade Unions have such influential say in how we run our country when these lobby groups are merely small sections of society and they are elected to represent the all the citizens. These groups have far too much influence as they each try to get more resource for their area (or keep them in present times) even though they know the country on the whole, would be better served by cutting resources in some of these areas.

I would also like to know why the government has insisted so far in cutting capital projects over reforming the public sector which is long overdue anyway. Removing the inefficiencies of the public services would be a much more beneficial approach in current times. Capital expenditure on infrastructure creates jobs in the area worst hit by this recession and more importantly helps make us more competitive by making transport of goods faster, cheaper and greener. We have worse infrastructure than many of our neighbors/competitors and so I feel this would have been a much better area to keep spending and reform public sectors immediately rather than waiting until there were no other options as the present government has done as they are one poor decision away from calling the IMF.

As the Greens are basically a party that believes in infrastructure investment, why have they not been trying to preserve this expenditure and push for reform of public services which would make us more efficient and therefore more competitive again and much more likely to lead to economic recovery than cutting capital expenditure to avoid taking on trade unions which we are going to have to take on anyway in the coming years to return to a balanced budget?

I would also like to know why the public aren't getting the information we need/want in relation to NAMA and throughout the financial crisis that the government are demanding the people of the country pay for government policy failure and bankers failures. Sure since it is our money (to the tune of an annual wage per person in the state even those without jobs) we are entitled to this information and borrowing this money in our name for these special interest groups without giving us the reasons why is basically theft of our wages (and most likely our childrens wages).

I would also like to know what the green parties position and plans are to reduce the cost of freedom of information requests and make them more readily available to the public. This is important as the government is again trying to stop/make extremely difficult for the citizens that pay for everything get information they want on the way their money is being spent.

• Company Representative Posts: 115 Verified rep PaulGogartyTD

Looking forward to answering whatever questions are selected on Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Do you think that the Greens stint in government has been a success, and will be viewed as a success in the long run?
    Because, from what I can see, their agenda seems to be putting people off Green and environmental topics. If some environmental topic is mentioned, it is often lambasted as another one the Greens wild ideas that will cost us more money. I think more could possibly be achieved if thee Green Party were less 'in your face' about some of their policies, and concentrated on promoting long term projects like securing our energy needs and providing cost-effective alternatives to how we currently consume, instead of introducing things like a carbon tax in the middle of a recession when the majority of people have to use petrol, with no alternative, or focusing on minor things like the stag hunting ban which just turned a lot of people off the Green Party and anything associated with them, and made them look petty.
    Do you think the Greens current way of doing things is the right way, or do you think the party could pursue its goals in a different of better way, and how so?

• Company Representative Posts: 115 Verified rep PaulGogartyTD

Keep em coming. Will be on all day Wednesday, on and off, and a bit of Thursday too. Now that I have made my 25 posts to get more rights, I am off for now, and sorry for interrupting everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Did you ever regret becoming a TD? That's my question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

My question for Paul Gogarty TD is:

Does the green party intend to make it more and more expensive run a car in this country. This is a real concern for all rural people who need their cars to get to work and to local shops/doctors/appointments etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Re education

- Why are we so under resourced - we expect parents to contribute to their primary school with a €50 - €70 voluntary contribution, the schools shouldnt have to ask parents for this; why are teachers spending money out of their own pay packets to purchase resources etc.
    It should be the state providing adequate resources for "free" primary level.

- Why in education do we bother informing HSE that children miss more than 20 days nothing ever happens just more pointless paper work

- If the Greens were in opposition there is no doubt thy would be calling for a general election, it provides all parties to put their plans on the economy and more importantly it gives the people an opportunity to voice their opinion, provide the markets with some certainty and call an election and give the next government an actual mandate to implement a 4 year economic plan

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Heheh.... I could have sorted that for you but seems like you have worked out our systems here.

I'll pick the questioneers tomorrow and we'll try and group the questions into "themes" to avoid repetition and keep things on topic. Of course you are welcome to engage on any thread you choose outside of the managed ones too.

Welcome to Boards.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

SeaFields wrote: »
    For Mr. Gogarty,

Do you believe you will retain your seat after the next general election?

why is the upper house ( senators) not called the failure to be elected by the people house

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement