Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Holy Pork, Batman, the next time you get to thinking that the Christian or Muslim beliefs are bonkers, spare a thought for those nutty Orthodox Jews...

"Rabbinical authorities. Making a use for themselves since the Bronze Age".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

GRAPHIC VIDEO FOLLOWS, don't watch if easily offended

Silly b*tch, what was she thinking wearing trousers? :rolleyes: Can't be having that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    spare a thought for those nutty Orthodox Jews.
    The religious response to the Swine Flu, er, Mexican Flu says all that needs to be said:

(clickthrough, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Dave! wrote: »
    GRAPHIC VIDEO FOLLOWS, don't watch if easily offended

Silly b*tch, what was she thinking wearing trousers? :rolleyes: Can't be having that
    That's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Do what they say. Especially that Jesus guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A teacher in Spain is in trouble for talking abou ham in geography class. Apparently it 'offended' a Muslim pupil :confused:
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/12/spain-muslim-family-denounces-teacher-for-talking-about-ham-in-class.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The latest Gallup poll carried out earlier this month shows that in the last 30 years, belief in creationism has declined to around 40% of the adult population, while belief in unguided evolution has almost doubled, to 16%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx

The poll also showed that belief in creationism is correlated with higher levels of church attendance, membership of the Republican Party and, unsurprisingly, low levels of education.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    The latest Gallup poll carried out earlier this month shows that in the last 30 years, belief in creationism has declined to around 40% of the adult population, while belief in unguided evolution has almost doubled, to 16%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx

The poll also showed that belief in creationism is correlated with higher levels of church attendance, membership of the Republican Party and, unsurprisingly, low levels of education.

Don't forget that 38% believe in 'theistic evolution'. Quickly, what's 38 + 16....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Galvasean wrote: »
    Don't forget that 38% believe in 'theistic evolution'. Quickly, what's 38 + 16....

I was going to ask what's 38 + 40 tbh.
    It's still 78% thinking that some kind of supernatural being had some part in creating us, whether by guiding evolution or just magicking us up out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I saw my mother tell my sister that she should start teaching her two year old daughter how to bless herself. This for some reason, completely freaked me out. It just felt like I was watching some cult documentary.
    The point I'm getting at is if anyone feels the same about organised religion, in that there nothing more than cults.

Liamario wrote: »
    The point I'm getting at is if anyone feels the same about organised religion, in that there nothing more than cults.

Religion = Big cult IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sink wrote: »
    CNN wrote:
    The Nassau County Department of Health is offering vaccines to those who attended two services at Our Lady of Lourdes Church
    LOL - FAIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Damn beat me to it.

Now I'm curious about this story. Does it mean that transubstantiation (what a big word) doesn't remove diseases from the bread OR was Jesus infected with hepatitis. Which is it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Long Island officials said Monday.
    How profound of them :pac:

lol at the story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Somewhat Relevant I think, Posted in the Mythology forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67144962&postcount=1

Even in conditions that go away naturally, and especially in serious conditions like whooping cough in infants, these kinds of beliefs which arise from hearsay and old wives tales can be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

GO_Bear wrote: »

Even in conditions that go away naturally, and especially in serious conditions like whooping cough in infants, these kinds of beliefs which arise from hearsay and old wives tales can be dangerous.

Stuff like that makes me really depressed actually, depressed at how crazy and gullible some people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

GO_Bear wrote: »

The Cure Of The Burn.
    My cousin years ago pulled a pot of boiling potatoes down of the cooker and it covered him. his grandfather lived down the road and had the cure of the burn which he got from licking a lizard backwards three times. and licked my cousin from head to toe. It worked! there was one Little spot which he had missed and that sport is still there today. Since them my cousin has grown up and he himself licked a lizard backwards 3 times and now has the cure.

This can't be serious, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭smokingman

eblistic wrote: »

It can....and don't call me Shirley...

Genuinely frightening but more common than you think. Even as a 7 year old, I'd makes jokes at my dads belief and stories of people he knew with the cure of this and that. Never would've dared make fun of his belief of zombie jews but even back then I couln't fathom how anyone would believe that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

eblistic wrote: »
    licked all over by an old man? someone call child services! :rolleyes:

i posted in the thread, i wonder if i get any takers? :D
    vibe666 wrote: »
    i have the cure for gullibility.

please come and see me.
    wait till they find out that the cure involves getting beaten round the head with a big stick until they come to their senses. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

mikhail wrote: »
    Pope wrote:
    "I cannot remain silent about another attack on the religious freedom of families in certain European countries which mandate obligatory participation in courses of sexual or civic education," the pope said.

So, do you think he included these families when he said that christians were the most prosected religion in the world, or are they examples of persecution? :pac:

vibe666 wrote: »
    i posted in the thread, i wonder if i get any takers? :D
    unfortunately not. i added my tuppence worth, too.
    you'd think someone who has been able to cure thrush for ten years would have happened across the correct spelling of it in that time.

to be fair to the OP, they were collecting the stories; the interest may have been academic in a folk history sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Ho...

How...

...How...

...How do you lick a lizard 'backwards'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

mehfesto wrote: »

Ho...

How...

...How...

...How do you lick a lizard 'backwards'?

Well, you know when you are home, watching TV, licking a lizard and having a cup of tea? Just lick the lizard the same way, except, the other way to the way you normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/communion-36658-navarre-priest.html
    Navarre resident Jackie Trebesh said she was flabbergasted and irritated when a Catholic priest denied her and her daughter Holy Communion, and then had a Santa Rosa County deputy pull her over.
    Trebesh said she and her 19-year-old daughter Rachel attended a Friday morning service and were turned away when they approached the priest to take Holy Communion.
    According to Trebesh, she learned the reason she was denied communion was because someone at the church had seen the daughter dispose of the host, as it is called, improperly in the church parking lot.
    “The matter of disposing of the Eucharist in an inappropriate way is a serious matter to us,” Peggy Dekeyser, the communications officer for the diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee said in confirming Trebesh’s theory.

Trebesh said the only thing she could think of that Kelly or anyone else might have seen her daughter do was “spit out a piece of gum in the parking lot.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mikhail wrote: »

How could the child keep it in her mouth long enough to ge outside? Those things melt in your mouth quicker than Skips

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement