Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Composite Firearms Acts document

Options
  • 19-04-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks, hopefully this will be of some help. I got tired of trying to read the Firearms Acts by reading the 1925 act, then the '64, then the '68, then the '71, then the '90, then the '98 and then the 2000 acts, so I've taken the directions in subsequent acts and amended the prior acts as they instruct to come up with a single composite document. It's not done by a long shot - I've only done sections 1 through 8 and section 6 is a bit odd - and it's not a legal document, but it should provide some sort of overview, I hope.

The current Firearms Act, pre-Criminal Justice Bill 2004

What the Firearms Act will look like, after the enaction of the Criminal Justice Bill 2004. This is based on the latest amendments to the CJB as dealt with in the Committee stage that's going on right now.

Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

There's obviously a lot of work gone into this - thanks for posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hmm. Okay, a few people have posted here asking about what the state of play will be for fullbores and pistols after the CJB goes through. That's not really what this thread was for - so I've moved those posts to the CJB thread here, along with the best answer I can think of. Keelan, your posts got moved there earlier, sorry I didn't PM to let you know.

I posted this in the barrel threading thread, but it might be better posted here:

It may be useful, once the final legislation is in place, if the various shooting organisations came together to publish a small booklet on the legislation that could be bought by every shooter in the country and carried around for reference..... it could also be used to raise funds for the inevitable courtroom challenges.

It's not a bad idea Quillo, but you've got two conflicting approaches there; one the one hand a single free booklet listing the acts as amended and all the rules and regs would be invaluable for most shooters and clubs and would allow us to ensure that everyone followed the rules; but on the other hand, if you use it to raise funds for court actions, it'll be expensive and not everyone will have one :(

The very best idea might be to get the Attorney General to prepare a restatement for the Firearms Acts and to have that printed in a booklet and sent to every single licenced firearms holder in the pulse system; or even made a mandatory handout with your licence; but I can't see that being taken up with enthusiasm!

Sparks wrote:
    It's not a bad idea Quillo, but you've got two conflicting approaches there; one the one hand a single free booklet listing the acts as amended and all the rules and regs would be invaluable for most shooters and clubs and would allow us to ensure that everyone followed the rules; but on the other hand, if you use it to raise funds for court actions, it'll be expensive and not everyone will have one :(

The very best idea might be to get the Attorney General to prepare a restatement for the Firearms Acts and to have that printed in a booklet and sent to every single licenced firearms holder in the pulse system; or even made a mandatory handout with your licence; but I can't see that being taken up with enthusiasm!

The book/let could published on www.lulu.com - this is free, they only print on demand so there are no set up costs so no concerns about costly production runs and unsold copies. It looks like you've done a lot of the work already so it would just be a matter of uploading it to lulu. Once printed, the publisher (ie, you, your organisation or club) gets their cut, lulu takes a small percentage and everyone's happy !

Once uploaded, post a link to the item and anyone interested can buy it.

Its been a while since I used lulu but basic printing cost are about $5. Put $5 on as your "profit", lulu would take about $1.50 so the book would cost about $11.50 + P&P.

My apologies to the moderator/s if information this constitutes advertising.......

• Advertisement

To be fair Quillo, I've only done the first eight sections and I just did it as a rough overview - it's not a legal document. For it to be something you could point out to a Garda with some legal authority behind it, it would have to be a Restatement prepared by the Attorney General.

And I think that if the shooting associations were coming together to print such a booklet, they ought to distribute it for free. We've asked "Minister, we pay you millions every year in licence fees, when do we see some of that spent for our benefit?" enough times that we oughtn't to have to ask it of our own representatives when talking about something so useful for all shooters to have! Make it a part of the membership package if you have to, but it really ought to be sent to everyone in the pulse list who owns a firearm!

Sparks wrote:
    Make it a part of the membership package if you have to, but it really ought to be sent to everyone in the pulse list who owns a firearm!

I agree completely.
    But considering what motorists get for their road tax....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

roads?
    when i got the licence i got a little pamphlet

What was in it maglite? I never got anything with any of my three licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Nice work Sparks. Am I reading this right, but does it say in one breath (quote) (f) the carriage for sporting purposes only of a firearm or ammunition under instructions from and for the use of the holder of a firearm certificate for such firearm or ammunition;(unquote), and then that a training licence is for 16-18 year olds and has the similar provisions? If so what is the point in getting a training licence if firearms for juniors or seniors may be used under supervision anyway? Or is it like a provisional driving licence that you need it before you get your full licence? Also 16-18 year olds, does this mean that now a 17 year can't get a firearm's certificate anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Nice one Sparks, that's a bit more clear. Well done.

I wish the powers that be wouldnt refer to a legally held firearm as a weapon.
    (And a few of us shooters too:rolleyes: )

We asked about that last week actually, turns out that because the word "firearm" has a legal definition, Gardai can't use it as easily as they use the word "weapon" - until they've proven in court that it was a firearm, they can't call it as such. A case of legalese intersecting with everyday english in a bad way :(

Sparks wrote:

From the most recent Committee meeting:
    Mr. McDowell: ... Under the Statute Law (Restatement) Act 2002, all of the Firearms Acts are capable of being restated as a series of Acts in consolidated form. I intend to have the Department prepare a restatement of the Acts to ensure they are easy to follow. The amendments must fit into place to allow a person to pick up the text and easily understand the law.

It's enough to make you think you were being listened to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

If we are being listned to.I wish they would take heed of other more pertinent points as well.:D

Advertisement