Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Revamp 2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TG4 was a mistake

No I think you might find that TV3 was the mistakes.
    TG4 not only provide actually Public Service Broadcasting but have proven that other people outside of RTE can make far better TV on far less money.
    TV3 could easily provide the sporting coverage, prime-time features and drama that TG4 provide and still have enough money to give to their shareholders. And still provide all the ITV 1 ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭seamus21514

Can we get back on topic? if you want to talk about tg4 ot tv3, please do it in another thread please. This is about rte, not those channels.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I didn't use text speak.

...made about as much sense as to me, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

good point. if anyone wants to talk about the merits of TV3 or TG4 please do so in another thread

thanks

Somebody over at TVF found out that the studio will a have a LED Videowall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ahh, it must be August in RTÉ News.... they only have to use the studio twice a day. People slag off RTÉ News for the 30 minute Six-one for the month, but, there would be an awful lot of filler if they continued to broadcast for the hour.

Anyway... I hope this thread isn't just a report on whats being discussed on another forum.

But the thing is, is that the leads on these dvelopments aren't happening here, so I look other plases. I got the leads from Telefis and Phen from TVF if you wanted to know.

here is the thread:
    http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15258&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=708

I amn't the best at writing post and most of my grammar is terrible (as is my spelling) But you should really read over your posts.

thanks for the link.
    there would be an awful lot of filler if they continued to broadcast for the hour.

And their isn't any thing happening around the world, If WW3 starts in August RTE would still only have half an hour. It's not like they save money by having a half hour edition during august.

But this is Off the topic as pointed out in other posts.

Ah yes, TV Forum. Asa Hicks' site. Its a good vibrant forum, its not a place that I frequent too often, but certainly it has cornered the TV News and mock logos niche in the all the TV boards/forums/mailing lists that exist out there.

As for the 30 minute news, I think its connected and not too OT from the rebrand, in that it certainly gives them the time to rejig the studio.

WW3 could be occuring in the Middle East at the mo, but Irish politicians are camping it up in Galway, business news is light enough, and its the silly season in the press. RTÉ News has the right balance during August, I feel.

Anyway, before I digress any further...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have to listen to BBC r4 fior an extra half hour. All year they get up about an hour later than BBC, so why should I grumble about the extra 1/2 hr of stupid music instead of a rolliing news / magasine / current affairs in the morning.

• Advertisement

What does this have to do with an RTE Revamp? Start a new thread if your willing to talk about it.

Its relevant to the RTÉ news slowdown during August, like Six-One is reduced to 30 minutes, Morning Ireland gets a lie-in until 7:30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What does this have to do with an RTE Revamp? Start a new thread if your willing to talk about it.

in future please report a post if you are feeling it is in the wrong place

While not wanting to go off the topic. I will try to tie in what I am about to say with regards to the RTE Revamp.

I assume the RTE Revamp is part of getting ready for DTT. They want a News Channel, and the other TV News Outlets aren't cutting their news outputs. Surely if RTE want a News Channel they shouldn't be cutting their News output during the summer months. IMO.

I hope that this ties in nicely to their revamp. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Elmo wrote:
    While not wanting to go off the topic. I will try to tie in what I am about to say with regards to the RTE Revamp.

I assume the RTE Revamp is part of getting ready for DTT. They want a News Channel, and the other TV News Outlets aren't cutting their news outputs. Surely if RTE want a News Channel they shouldn't be cutting their News output during the summer months. IMO.

I hope that this ties in nicely to their revamp. :D

Well yes, there's no hope for an RTÉ News Channel if they can't put out a full news bulletin for a decent portion of the year; what are they going to do? Switch off RTÉ News 24 during the summer or just show the entire back catalogue of Prime Time and QandA? :D

Another problem with the news channel is that it couldn't be rolling cause of some gaelic bulitens. Sure, I speak it, but I don't mind watching english tv, but I know other people would fight it.

People still seem to think that RTÉ will launch a news channel... in reality, it won't happen, in so far as they still don't have breakfast TV nor does it have the money or will to do it. RTÉ gave up on the idea years ago. Rolling news channels are very expensive, as ITV found out last year. They saw that they can better use their news funds in boosting the main channels local and national news bulletins, rather than have a news channel that wasnt live all the time and as perpetually in 3rd place.

Just because DTT is becoming a reality doesnt mean that we'll see a news channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Absolutely – certainly anything like the scale of News 24 or Sky is off the cards, though an ‘information’ channel is still very much a possibility. How News would to relate to that is unclear, but it could run along the lines of the first 20-30 minutes of every hour being news, and the remainder standard programming. As we’ve seen, the Scandinavian broadcasters have had difficulty with rolling news on DTT and they’re in a similar market to RTÉ, even with larger audiences. In Denmark apparently the above limited model is being adopted.

The best we could hope for here, indeed all we really need here, are more regular bulletins on one of the additional channels, and a greater commitment to regional coverage – rather than constant rolling coverage which is simply unnecessary, let alone financially unfeasible. Apparently RTÉ’s proposals are currently before Cabinet…

Regarding the relaunch, it isn’t taking place to accommodate DTT – though it does conveniently coincide with it – but rather it’s simply time for a revamp. Three years have now passed which is the standard period, but moreover for what has been probably the worst news pres package ever concocted by the station, and they know it. It’s very much time to get rid!

To summarise on what we’ve established so far:

The set was transferred in the dark hours of last Sunday night from Studio 3 to a temporary studio elsewhere in the Television Building, leaving the regular facility free for refurbishment works.

The changeover has happened four weeks in advance of transmission of the new look in September, much longer than the typical two weeks RTÉ uses, suggesting a complex refit of both studio and news gallery.

This is mainly taking place to accommodate the introduction of 16:9 to RTÉ News which takes place in September – currently the last bastion of 4:3 in RTÉ along with its Nationwide arm. Most gallery equipment and all monitors have to be converted or replaced, and the five cameras likewise – I imagine they’re about 10 years old now anyway.

We’ve also stumbled on the tender issued by RTÉ a few months ago in search of large LED screens for use in the new studio design which pretty much fit exactly the dimensions of Studio 3. It is very interesting that they’re willing to spend this amount of cash, and that the pres of bulletins may way alter radically with use of graphics or even just a decent LED backdrop:

Publication Date: 31 May 2006

Radio Telefis Eireann, (RTE), Ireland's national Broadcasting Services, wishes to enter into technical dialogue with interested parties in consideration of purchasing an LED panel display approximately 13,8 metres long by 1,5 metres high for use as part of the set in a television news studio. As yet no firm decision has been taken as to the procurement specification that will be used. The contracting authority invites interested parties to contact us with a view to investigating options available. RTE will be particularly interested to here from companies who already provide such services to television broadcasters. The object of the technical dialogue will therefore be to enable RTE to assess all possible procurement variations.

They also recently issued a tender for improved sat and fibre links, again tying in nicely with what one would assume to be increased use of reporter stand-up acts and increased international coverage:

Publication Date: 4 July 2006

Radio Telefis Eireann, (RTE), Ireland's National Broadcasting Services, wishes to enter into technical dialogue with interested parties in consideration of acquiring contribution links for television and radio programme content acquisition, primarily sourced from Europe including but not confined to Ireland and the United Kingdom. Such capacity may include permanent leased satellite capacity, fixed and switchable fibre links together with occasional satellite and fibre capacity. As yet no firm decision has been taken as to the procurement specification or specifications that may be used. The contracting authority invites interested parties to contact us with a view to investigating options available. RTE will be particularly interested to hear from companies with experience of providing programme content contribution links solutions to broadcasters. The object of the dialogue will be to enable RTE to assess all possible procurement variations.

Good news given the appalling unreliability of current feeds – often going down mid-bulletin. International feeds also tend to have poor transfer quality with RTÉ for some reason. The station seems to be limited in booking times in their use of sats as highlighted a few times on Prime Times, so it’s good news in this regard too.

All in all, a very exciting September ahead!

DMC wrote:
    People still seem to think that RTÉ will launch a news channel... in reality, it won't happen, in so far as they still don't have breakfast TV nor does it have the money or will to do it. RTÉ gave up on the idea years ago. Rolling news channels are very expensive, as ITV found out last year. They saw that they can better use their news funds in boosting the main channels local and national news bulletins, rather than have a news channel that wasnt live all the time and as perpetually in 3rd place.

Just because DTT is becoming a reality doesnt mean that we'll see a news channel.

I agree that a news channel would be a big drain and it's far from a safe bet; I'd imagine that if they do anything along those line it might be a factual channel that features educational programming in the morning, documentaries in the afteroon and current affairs in the evening-night, all of this supplimented by brief hourly news bulletins and simulcasts of the regular RTÉ News broadcasts and current affairs programming... even that would be pushing it IMO (even if you include a high number of imported programming)

I don't see why RTE couldn't provide a news channel. It wouldn't have to go out for 24 hours.

07:00 - 09:00 Good Morning
    09:00 - 12:00 International News with Hourly News Updates
    12:00 -14:00 Lunch News, Sport and Business
    14:00-17:00 International News with Hourly News Updates
    17:00 - 19:00 Good Afternoon (Including 6.1)
    19:00 - 19:30 Nationwide (Local News)
    19:30 - 21:00 International News with Hourly News Updates
    21:00 - 22:00 9News (With Local News at 21:30)
    22:00 - 24:00 Current Affairs (Prime Time, Q&A etc Repeats with News updates on the hour and News Review Show e.g. News 2 becomes more like Newsnight)
    24:00 - 07:00 Internation News and Repeats with Hourly News Updates.

12hour news service would be impossible. Espically when TV3's new owners (or owners to be) look towards a cheap News Channel. Extra News Output wouldn't need to be of the highest quality but more news would be need.

Remember RTE's newsroom is very large and a 24 hour news service as outline about could be taken care of with economies of scale which it would get out of RTE NEWS.

6 CHANNELS THREE COMMERCIAL ONES SUPPORTING THE REST

E.g.

RTE ONE (Remains as is)
    RTE TWO (Gets rid of The Den and any PSB that it might think it has)
    The Den/RTE THREE (Commerical Channel aimed at the 12 - 35 year old age group)
    Cub's Den/RTE FOUR (PBS, info, children's channel 0-12 years)
    RTE NEWS
    RTE SPORT

RTE SPORT, RTE TWO AND RTE THREE being the commerical stations. Remember most Digital TV is just a repeat of what is on the main channels nothing more totally ****. IMO.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    I don't see why RTE couldn't provide a news channel. It wouldn't have to go out for 24 hours.

07:00 - 09:00 Good Morning
    09:00 - 12:00 International News with Hourly News Updates
    12:00 -14:00 Lunch News, Sport and Business
    14:00-17:00 International News with Hourly News Updates
    17:00 - 19:00 Good Afternoon (Including 6.1)
    19:00 - 19:30 Nationwide (Local News)
    19:30 - 21:00 International News with Hourly News Updates
    21:00 - 22:00 9News (With Local News at 21:30)
    22:00 - 24:00 Current Affairs (Prime Time, Q&A etc Repeats with News updates on the hour and News Review Show e.g. News 2 becomes more like Newsnight)
    24:00 - 07:00 Internation News and Repeats with Hourly News Updates.

12hour news service would be impossible. Espically when TV3's new owners (or owners to be) look towards a cheap News Channel. Extra News Output wouldn't need to be of the highest quality but more news would be need.

Remember RTE's newsroom is very large and a 24 hour news service as outline about could be taken care of with economies of scale which it would get out of RTE NEWS.

6 CHANNELS THREE COMMERCIAL ONES SUPPORTING THE REST

E.g.

RTE ONE (Remains as is)
    RTE TWO (Gets rid of The Den and any PSB that it might think it has)
    The Den/RTE THREE (Commerical Channel aimed at the 12 - 35 year old age group)
    Cub's Den/RTE FOUR (PBS, info, children's channel 0-12 years)
    RTE NEWS
    RTE SPORT

RTE SPORT, RTE TWO AND RTE THREE being the commerical stations. Remember most Digital TV is just a repeat of what is on the main channels nothing more totally ****. IMO.

I think a children's channel is a dead cert, considering the fact that kids programming currently runs until 6PM (I think) on RTÉ Two as it is... I'm not sure if splitting it into two is as viable for RTÉ as it is for the BBC though and I'd venture a guess that they'll just start with one RTÉ Kids channel.
    As I said, I think there might well be a factual channel but not a News channel as such; one that had hourly bulletins which complimented factual programming with simulcasts of existing news broadcasts (perhaps with additional regional news at the end exclusive to the dtt channel). What worries me about the plausability of a news/current affairs channel is the fact that while RTÉ Newsroom is strong it would need serious fattening up for the weekend and would need to produce more programming than already exists, which basically demands more staff.
    On a side note I'd love to see an RTÉ Newsnight-style show although I'm not sure if they have the resources to cover international news so well on a daily basis; happy to be proven wrong on that though.
    RTÉ Sport... not sure about that, I think any chance of that went out the window when Setanta started to snap everything up... maybe they could show sport on the kids channel once it wraps up for the evening?

My bet would be:
    RTÉ One (same as always)
    RTÉ Two (which moves more towards 17-35, minus The Den)
    RTÉ Three/Factual/News&Current Affairs (as I explained above)
    RTÉ Kids (basically what's already being shown on Two on a daily basis, with a possible second evening channel afterwards for when it wraps up ie sport)

Edit: Forgot to add; Oireachtas channel too; easiest of all possible channels to make as the whole this is already being recorded; they'd just have to rebroadcast it and put a nightly review show on the end of it...

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Absolutely – certainly anything like the scale of News 24 or Sky is off the cards, though an ‘information’ channel is still very much a possibility. How News would to relate to that is unclear, but it could run along the lines of the first 20-30 minutes of every hour being news, and the remainder standard programming. As we’ve seen, the Scandinavian broadcasters have had difficulty with rolling news on DTT and they’re in a similar market to RTÉ, even with larger audiences. In Denmark apparently the above limited model is being adopted.

The best we could hope for here, indeed all we really need here, are more regular bulletins on one of the additional channels, and a greater commitment to regional coverage – rather than constant rolling coverage which is simply unnecessary, let alone financially unfeasible. Apparently RTÉ’s proposals are currently before Cabinet…

Even the model of BBC World would work, in that on most hours at the weekend, there is a 5 or 10 minute bulletin, and then some BBC programming (Click, Top Gear etc)
    What you shows backs up the thoery that 24 News Channels dont work out in small countries.

Elmo wrote:
    <snip>
    IMO.

Hmmm. I disagree with your vision, Elmo.

If you take away Children's and Sport from RTÉ TWO, there isn't a lot left, only its other peak time stuff. An RTÉ sport channel is a non runner, as it would be too much for commercial forces to allow it. Setanta have show that an indigenous sports channels can operate. But a red button temporary channel (á la BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra) would in my opinion suffice. In fact, for Olympic coverage, I think that the IOC would demand it, if not for Beijing, then certainly for London 2012.

You are trying to model the BBC strand of channels on an RTÉ basis, and while that is an admirable aspiration, in reality, that is never going to happen. RTÉ doesn't have money to do this.

RTÉ will not, and never will be a broadcaster like the BBC.

But some tweaks can be done.

1) RTÉ ONE in peak time 100% Irish produced. (i.e. get rid of Eastenders)
    2) RTÉ TWO to stay much as it is, but in peak time to model BBC TWO or Channel 4 in documentaries/history etc. More home produced programming to complement the main channel.
    3) American imports can be left to commercial channels, for the most part.
    4) A small scale news channel with short bulletins and complementary programming.

The one thing that worries me about RTÉ setting up more channels, is that will it dilute what we have already? RTÉ's home-grown production has increased over the past few years, and in line with the increase in the licence fee. With TV advertising not as robust as it used to be, if we want more RTÉ channels, we are going to have to pay for it.

Could the Irish people stomach a €200 licence fee? They begrudge it (or worse) as it is. Because that would be the minimum needed for your vision of RTÉ.

Pie in the sky.

Flogen: as for an Oireachtas channel, its easy enough to get that on air, at the moment its akin to CCTV*, is it still run by Windmill Lane people??

*No, not the Chinese, closed circuit :D

For the 24 hour news channel, they could have a newsroundesque service for the kids. Also, I could see a full channel of the den.

Unlike the BBC RTE also have commercial revenue (fair enough the BBC also sell DVDs and International Rights to shows and have BBC America, Canada et al which provide a major amount of commerical revenue).

But RTE spend est 25,000,000 euro on Foreign Imports, RTE has a major amount of Sporting event which they will fight for before letting Setanta take those rights (The BBC has little sporting events).

My plan suggest 3 VERY commerical stations for RTE, those stations would be set up to fund the 3 VERY PBS stations.

With 11,000 hours of Foreign Imports RTE could easily start up two new services with out taking very much revenue from RTE ONE or TWO. While they wouldn't be great TV stations my question would be what is so great about Digital TV so far?

Again while the model is taken from the BBC it would be workable, if thought about.

RTE ONE (Remain as is with no funding cuts)
    RTE TWO (Remaining as is for a number of years until they can cut The Den)
    RTE THREE (Providing shows for the 12 - 45 year age group, and then moving toward being The DEN during the day, Much of the TV station would be taken up with Prime Time showings of Late Night RTE ONE and TWO shows and repeats of RTE drama such as the clinic and pure mule, the weekends taken up with music) 06:00 - 12:00
    RTE FOUR (Proving information, arts, 0-12 children's TV, repeats of factual programming from RTE ONE AND TWO). 06:00 - 12:00
    RTE NEWS (As outlined)

RTE SPORT

Again RTE has a major amount of sport available to them, RTE TWO basically becomes a sports channel during the summer months. It would be free to air and could support itself but I will say that it isn't overly commerical.

Again at least 3 channels would have to be totally commerical and not receive funding from the Licence fee for this to work. And would provide revenue to the main PBS channels out of profits made.

TV3 and RTE TWO make nearly 60,000,000 EURO each in advertising reveune with 12% of the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Elmo wrote:
    Unlike the BBC RTE also have commercial revenue (fair enough the BBC also sell DVDs and International Rights to shows and have BBC America, Canada et al which provide a major amount of commerical revenue).

But RTE spend est 25,000,000 euro on Foreign Imports, RTE has a major amount of Sporting event which they will fight for before letting Setanta take those rights (The BBC has little sporting events).

My plan suggest 3 VERY commerical stations for RTE, those stations would be set up to fund the 3 VERY PBS stations.

With 11,000 hours of Foreign Imports RTE could easily start up two new services with out taking very much revenue from RTE ONE or TWO. While they wouldn't be great TV stations my question would be what is so great about Digital TV so far?

Again while the model is taken from the BBC it would be workable, if thought about.

RTE ONE (Remain as is with no funding cuts)
    RTE TWO (Remaining as is for a number of years until they can cut The Den)
    RTE THREE (Providing shows for the 12 - 45 year age group, and then moving toward being The DEN during the day, Much of the TV station would be taken up with Prime Time showings of Late Night RTE ONE and TWO shows and repeats of RTE drama such as the clinic and pure mule, the weekends taken up with music) 06:00 - 12:00
    RTE FOUR (Proving information, arts, 0-12 children's TV, repeats of factual programming from RTE ONE AND TWO). 06:00 - 12:00
    RTE NEWS (As outlined)

RTE SPORT

Again RTE has a major amount of sport available to them, RTE TWO basically becomes a sports channel during the summer months. It would be free to air and could support itself but I will say that it isn't overly commerical.

Again at least 3 channels would have to be totally commerical and not receive funding from the Licence fee for this to work. And would provide revenue to the main PBS channels out of profits made.

TV3 and RTE TWO make nearly 60,000,000 EURO each in advertising reveune with 12% of the audience.

What would RTE 2 show during the day if the den was cut? Your proposition makes RTE 2 and 3 look the same and therefore a complete waste of money.

Although I would like to see an Irish news channel, it is realistically unlikey to happen. Sky News attains an average of 50,000 viewers at any given time during the day and the population of the UK is over 57 million...imagine what the ratings would be for an RTE News Channel with Irelands population. So any kind of news channel is out of the question.

After all, RTE provides regular news updates, several major bulletins on RTE1 and 2 and there is hourly news bulletins on Radio 1...not to mention teletext and the fairly impressive RTE News site.

What RTE needs is not more channels, but a huge improvement in the current output in terms of production values in homegrown programmes. What RTE could do IMO, is create a RTE 2 Plus 1 situation like E4 Plus 1. That would definitely be a hit IMO.

What RTE needs is not more channels, but a huge improvement in the current output in terms of production values in homegrown programmes. What RTE could do IMO, is create a RTE 2 Plus 1 situation like E4 Plus 1. That would definitely be a hit IMO.

Total waste of money to put up +1 channels. Waste of air space which provide nothing new or choice to the viewer which is what Digital TV is supposed to be.
    What would RTE 2 show during the day if the den was cut? Your proposition makes RTE 2 and 3 look the same and therefore a complete waste of money.

And yet interestingly you want the same channel just an hour later??????

I am taking into account that not everyone would have Digital TV therefore RTE ONE AND TWO would have to remain as is for a few years. The Prime Time Schedule of RTE Three would be completely different.

As I have mentioned RTE spend 25,000,000 euro on 11,000 hours of foreign Imports. It would not be implausible for RTE to provide 2 new channels which would place shows like 24, Smallville, Alias, That 70's Show, Boston Legal, Law And Order, CSI: New York, The Practice, Grounded 4 Life, The West Wing, Medium, Boston Public, movies etc on during prime time without hurting RTE's budget.
    After all, RTE provides regular news updates, several major bulletins on RTE1 and 2 and there is hourly news bulletins on Radio 1...not to mention teletext and the fairly impressive RTE News site.

RTE News would take advantage of this.
    Although I would like to see an Irish news channel, it is realistically unlikey to happen. Sky News attains an average of 50,000 viewers at any given time during the day and the population of the UK is over 57 million...imagine what the ratings would be for an RTE News Channel with Irelands population. So any kind of news channel is out of the question.

Sky News has BBC News, CNN etc to compete with RTE do not have any real competition in the news sector (in regards to National News), and they have the added advantage of the Brand (if that is an advantage????)

But yes you are right More money would always have to be invested into home produced shows for RTE One and RTE Two. I am suggesting that the Commercial channels stand on their own and either make a profit or break even.

Elmo wrote:
    Total waste of money to put up +1 channels. Waste of air space which provide nothing new or choice to the viewer which is what Digital TV is supposed to be.

And yet interestingly you want the same channel just an hour later??????

I am taking into account that not everyone would have Digital TV therefore RTE ONE AND TWO would have to remain as is for a few years. The Prime Time Schedule of RTE Three would be completely different.

As I have mentioned RTE spend 25,000,000 euro on 11,000 hours of foreign Imports. It would not be implausible for RTE to provide 2 new channels which would place shows like 24, Smallville, Alias, That 70's Show, Boston Legal, Law And Order, CSI: New York, The Practice, Grounded 4 Life, The West Wing, Medium, Boston Public, movies etc on during prime time without hurting RTE's budget.

RTE News would take advantage of this.

Sky News has BBC News, CNN etc to compete with RTE do not have any real competition in the news sector (in regards to National News), and they have the added advantage of the Brand (if that is an advantage????)

But yes you are right More money would always have to be invested into home produced shows for RTE One and RTE Two. I am suggesting that the Commercial channels stand on their own and either make a profit or break even.

Although your suggestions are constructive, they are unrealistic at the moment. You are comparing RTE's situation with the BBC, Sky ITV etc. In the UK, there are over 57 million people, so there is room for more channels and there is money to be made. This is not the situation in Ireland. When thinking about Ireland's television future, put it in context, don't try to compare it with the UK, RTE will never be able to compete with the UK.

By the way, BBC News 24 and CNN have pitiful viewer ratings like Sky News, so I stress that an RTE News Channel is a fanciful idea at the moment.

I find the Plus1 channels extremely beneficial and I think that they would be popular with viewers. If people have missed sport, films, new episodes of desperate housewives etc...plus1 RTE 2 channel would be a hit and would cost RTE nothing.

In additon, I would like to know where you're getting the figures on the amount spent on imported programmes. And even if it is that much, so what! RTE 2 are excellent at showing the American series first such as Friends, Desperate Housewives, Lost etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sky News and News24's UK viewing figures are misleading. Viewing figures are made from home users; yet the kind of audience that has Sky News or News24 on all day long is not in the home. How many newsagents, banks, gyms, office reception desks have you seen Sky News on a TV at?

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote:
    Sky News and News24's UK viewing figures are misleading. Viewing figures are made from home users; yet the kind of audience that has Sky News or News24 on all day long is not in the home. How many newsagents, banks, gyms, office reception desks have you seen Sky News on a TV at?

And how many people do you see watching them?? Normally the volume is off anyway. The figures are not misleading.

Advertisement