Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart going belly up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

and fox, i stated i want my money to go to eircom, I was not advocating anyone else to do so, read what i posted again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

RasTa wrote:
    and fox, i stated i want my money to go to eircom, I was not advocating anyone else to do so, read what i posted again.
    You suggested that people should spend their money with an American company (Skype), when they would get a better service for less money from an Irish company.

I don't care what you're trying to say - you've demonstrated at least 3 times in this thread that you're woefully uninformed about the FACTS!!!! (Line Rental increases, eircom being an "irish" company, good value VoIP). If you clearly haven't a clue, why should anyone bother reading your posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I said Eircom employed my grandfather (also my uncle) as engineers back in the day, so my household holds them in regards and the money in my household will continue going to them. Get over it.
    You’re a rude and ignorant person so let’s end this right here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom is an australian owned company, most of the money it makes goes to australia.

RasTa wrote:
    I said Eircom employed my grandfather (also my uncle) as engineers back in the day, so my household holds them in regards and the money in my household will continue going to them. Get over it.
    I've never questioned your notives, or where you spend your money. I've simply corrected some of the numerous errors of FACT that you have posted.
    I'm sure it must be embarrassing for you to be shown up as misinformed, but I've gone out of my way to be polite to you, and to correct the errors you've made in a factual way.

You asked the "historians" when was the last time eircom got a Line Rental increase. They increased it from €19.60 to €21.15 on 18th March 2003. They increased it again to €22.50 on 2nd June 2003. And then to €24.18 on 4th February 2004. That's hardly history. And even in this "expensive society", an increase from €19.60 to €24.18, a 25% increase over 4 years is well above the rate of inflation.

You also claimed that monet spent with eircom would be more likely to stay in Ireland than money spent with BTIreland:
    i'd rather the money stay in Ireland then go to England so I kept the mother with Eircom
    While you're in good company in making the mistake of thinking that eircom is more "Irish" than BTIreland, you might find this snippet from the Irish Times of interest:
    Goldman Sachs, the investment bank which led the €1.15 billion re-flotation of Eircom [main Irish phone company] in March, has acknowledged it made an embarrassing error over the company's nationality...

Goldman issued a statement to the stock exchange yesterday stating it had an interest in 44.5 million shares in Eircom last March. It said that it had not notified its interest in the shares earlier because it thought Eircom was an Irish company, when in fact it is registered in England...The ownership of Eircom was transferred to a UK shelf company in July 2003 as part of a financial restructuring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

The following is a post from the Smart Telecom Forum from UMK
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=7519&posted=1#post7519

6 Mbps is here in Bishopstown at 8pm , whats more Upload Speed has doubled !!!

About the only thing that has come through as reported over the last few days.

Certainly nothing Timmy (087 XXXXXX) the Eircom man said at the door has come through (Smart has gone, your phone will be gone in 24hrs, BB in 48).

Maybe those that have cancelled their DD' s could reinstate them.......after all how can you expect Smart to stay in Business if people wont pay the bills.

Use this link to test your Broadband Speed.
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/myspe...bspeedtool.htm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RasTa wrote:

As somebody who once worked in the old Dept of P&T and on what would have been the Eircom side of things I can vouch for the fact that Eircom now and then have absolutely nothing in common.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Use this link to test your Broadband Speed.
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/myspe...bspeedtool.htm

It's showing a download speed of 7.8 megabits per second, but my router is reporting 9.2 megabits a second.

Spear wrote:
    It's showing a download speed of 7.8 megabits per second, but my router is reporting 9.2 megabits a second.

Damm you im showing 4.75Mb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Damm you im showing 4.75Mb

Then you're gonna be really unhappy when I point out that I only got connected Monday of last week, only to have this happen.

Spear wrote:
    Then you're gonna be really unhappy when I point out that I only got connected Monday of last week, only to have this happen.

Not at all lad - Glad to hear your walking on sunshine - I just hope i get to join you sometime soon

Not at all lad - Glad to hear your walking on sunshine - I just hope i get to join you sometime soon

Compared to my prior NTL cable modem, walking on sunshine is a pretty accurate term.

Spear wrote:
    Compared to my prior NTL cable modem, walking on sunshine is a pretty accurate term.

Amen to that Brother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

My router says 7069kbps down and 605kbps up. Happy days. Bloody delighted at the news.

bucks73 wrote:
    My router says 7069kbps down and 605kbps up. Happy days. Bloody delighted at the news.

How do you check that???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

THIS is why the likes smart telecom is great for irish telecoms, and THIS is why eircom were so scared of them to begin with, no wonder they pounced so quick with notices and winbacks, just in case they got through it all.

Best thing people can do is stick with them, and keep the broadband sector strong which will enhance their ability to draw in funds and revenue

TO check the conencted speed, log in to your smart modem at http://192.168.1.1/configuration/ports.html?105 i believe. this will not work from a bridged port, so if you have the DR814Q modem ( bridging per lan port ) just plug your computer's ethernet into a non-bridged port.

If you have the DR814, then you need to unbridge it, i believe it would require a hard-reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

How do you check that???:confused:

I have a netgear router and when i log in to it its on the router status page.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

It seems to me that no one knows really what will happen not even Smart Telecom. I think everyone needs to make up their own mind on whether to stay or switch . I just wonder if they do finally go bust will Smart customers have an oppertunity to switch again or just be totally cutt off for good. One thing that has come out of this is the ill equipt Comreg in securing the rights of consumers and lack of information also.

Hopefully Comreg and the government and indeed Eircom will learn from their mistakes this time round in case this ever happens again.

I think that there should be a period before people are cut off where by comreg gets involved to mediate say between Smart and Eircom and then Smart would have been given 14 days to pay the debt. Then after that if they dont pay Eircom ,the consumers should be told by adverts in the press and on the news that they have a further 14 days to connect to another company or risk being cut off. That way vunerable people like the disabled and elderly would not be at risk from no service. I think that everyone involved in the current situation need to take the blame equally for the disruption caused. I think that Smart will go under personally even if its 6 to 12 months down the line . If they get the 3G license back it may save them, if they loose it they are gone Im afraid.

Actually just forgot to ask with regards the 3G license. Why did the license get taken away anyway ???? Was it because of their financial situation or Comreg believed they could not complete their obligations for such a license??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Its mainly because of a bond Smart had to provide (€100m). They tried to get the same deal the likes of Vodafone got but the regulator awarded it then changed their mind. Odd that, eh?

Maybe the below will help.

I put a little summary of it together on this thread based off enn.ie reports.

Link here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054988336

----
    http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9729146
    The paper also reports that Smart Telecom on Thursday opened its High Court challenge to ComReg's decision not to grant the company a third generation mobile phone licence. It is claimed ComReg acted unfairly towards Smart. The action follows ComReg's decision last February not to award the licence to Smart Mobile because of what ComReg claimed was a failure by Smart to provide, in a form acceptable to ComReg and within the specified deadline, a EUR100 million performance guarantee bond.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9731316
    The Sunday Times reports that Eircom had threatened to sue the communications regulator ComReg over the awarding of the fourth 3G mobile licence to Smart Telecom. The revelation emerged during the Smart Telecom vs ComReg High Court hearing last week, at which Smart is suing ComReg over its decision to withdraw the offer of the fourth licence to Smart. Eircom's legal threat formed part of a campaign by Eircom to "ensure that the conditions" of the tender process were being adhered to, according to the paper.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9733804
    The Irish Times reports that a judge on Tuesday questioned whether Smart Telecom was honest in its approach to resolving difficulties with ComReg over securing a 3G mobile licence. ComReg withdrew its offer of the licence in February, claiming that Smart failed to provide it with an acceptable bond for EUR100 million by an agreed deadline of 30 January. The court case continues on Wednesday.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9734956
    The Irish Times reports that ComReg feared that Eircom was attempting to interfere in the granting of a 3G mobile licence to Smart Telecom, the High Court heard on Wednesday. Smart's chief operations officer, Ciaran Casey, told the court that during talks with ComReg, it was clear that the regulator was concerned that Eircom, the losing bidder for the licence, was attempting to get involved in the process. Casey said that one member of ComReg's staff described Eircom as the "dark angel" looking over the agency's shoulder, but ComReg's senior counsel said there was no evidence of this.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9742485
    In its continuing coverage of the Smart Telecom case in the High Court, the paper reports that ComReg issued a mobile licence to Vodafone on terms that it was not subsequently prepared to accept from Smart, the court heard on Wednesday. It emerged that when ComReg granted Vodafone a 3G licence in 2002, it accepted a bond from the company declaring that penalties would not be paid if the licence was terminated. Smart included a similar term in its bonds, but the regulator told the company that this condition was unacceptable.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9743813
    In its continuing coverage of the Smart Telecom case in the High Court, the paper says that a member of ComReg said they allowed Vodafone more favourable terms on its 3G mobile licence than it was prepared to give Smart Telecom because it was necessary to bring new players into the market. ComReg's John Doherty told the court that the regulator allowed Vodafone to include conditions on the financial guarantees that were part of its licence, but would not accept similar conditions from Smart, because the two licences were offered in "different times".

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9747235
    The same paper says that Smart Telecom is facing losses of at least EUR7.7 million if ComReg's decision to withdraw its offer of a 3G licence is upheld in the courts, the company has revealed. The expenses relate to consultant charges, financing costs and legal bills.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9749766
    As the Smart Telecom case in the High Court continues, the paper reports that the court heard on Tuesday that ComReg withdrew its offer of a 3G licence to Smart before giving the company a chance to hear ComReg's final position on attempts to resolve differences between the two parties. Summing up Smart's case, senior counsel Michael Cush said that after the deadline had passed, ComReg decided to give Smart a chance to indicate when it could supply acceptable performance bonds. However, he said that ComReg had no definite position on whether or not it could accept the revocation and insolvency terms offered.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9752742
    In its ongoing coverage of the Smart Telecom and ComReg case in the High Court, the Irish Times reports that, according to the regulator, Smart did not provide acceptable bonds to ComReg within the agreed deadline in order to be awarded its 3G licence. According to ComReg, Smart provided only "draft bonds" that had not been approved by the banks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Some good info there

Hmmm very interesting , thanks for the info , I didnt know much about it but it looks like Smart bit off more than it could chew and couldnt raise the Eur 100 million wanted by comreg so they tried to get that clause lifted to allow them to gain the 3G license, once they had it I presume they thought they would be on the road to profit again. Shame it didnt work for them but you have to admire them for trying. Who knows maybe they will get a reprieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I took me over 2 hrs to wade through this thread.
    Earlier on, every time I finished a page, a new one had started.
    Have just caught up.

Sent a message to Fine Gael and Labour through their web-sites:

Will you shut up about Berties bloody 8 grand and do something about what is affecting normal people. You can start with the way eircom is driving any competition out of the telecom market.

Sent one to Fianna Fail:

Do something!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only got connected to Smart over a month ago.
    Hope the wait (and dealing with some dreadful customer service) was not a waste of time.

Jor wrote:
    I took me over 2 hrs to wade through this thread.
    Earlier on, every time I finished a page, a new one had started.
    Have just caught up.

Will you shut up about Berties bloody 8 grand and do something about what is affecting normal people. You can start with the way eircom is driving any competition out of the telecom market.

Sent one to Fianna Fail:

Do something!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only got connected to Smart over a month ago.
    Hope the wait (and dealing with some dreadful customer service) was not a waste of time.

6Mb connection untill the end of 2006 - think it was kinda worth it.

Do you think you could post the message you sent to them. We could all copy it and send it as well - Try to stir things up a wee bit

Dellas wrote:
    Hmmm very interesting , thanks for the info , I didnt know much about it but it looks like Smart bit off more than it could chew and couldnt raise the Eur 100 million wanted by comreg so they tried to get that clause lifted to allow them to gain the 3G license, once they had it I presume they thought they would be on the road to profit again. Shame it didnt work for them but you have to admire them for trying. Who knows maybe they will get a reprieve.
    Smart did raise the bond. What's more, Comreg didn't even refund the multi-million euro "deposit" that Smart had paid until 3 or 4 months after it had supposedly cancelled the contract.

The dispute was about the terms under which the bond would be forfeited, not about the size of the bond.

Jor wrote:
    Fine Gael and Labour have both issued statements on this matter. There's a thread about the statements on the Ireland Offline forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

ComReg has updated their "Notice for all SmartTelecom Customers" page here http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/update.206.LE.asp and it now states "Smart Broadband customers with existing service do not need to take any action."

According to the Irish Times an announcement will be made by SmartTelecom regarding the re-financing of the company and a new interconnection deal with Eircom.

In the same article it also says this:

"ComReg was working with Minister for Communications Noel Dempsey to establish new protocols under which a network operator such as Eircom would be obliged to give 24 hours notice that it proposed to terminate a service. Such protocols would have to be set out in legislation, he said.

ComReg had asked Eircom to provide such notice in advance of the cut-off, but the first the regulator knew of the termination was just before it took effect."

All I can say is :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Dellas wrote:
    It doesn't say that at all - read it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/update.206.LE.asp - says that if you get one bill you have 2 weeks to change provider.
    I've heard elsewhere that there's going to be no problems with smart now.

Our broadband hasn't dropped at all (and is now 6Mb instead of 3) and we don't use the voice line (only got it for broadband).

Can we just do nothing and stay with smart?

Advertisement