Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Pro

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

as far as i know Glen (ChipLdr) packed this in when he was offered a good job after graduation. still plays online a bit and makes a bit... but not a pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

Another final point. The OP's BB/hour win rate for the last couple of months is not sustainable. I'd be interested if any other players can confirm this. I've heard that 4BB/hour is a reasonable expectation for a good player with some estimates up to 8BB/hour as being sustainable by the very best. Which means, basically, that OP was on a rush.

I'm also guessing that the long silence on this thread may indicate that the experiment ended up in a situation something like the OP's parents discovering massive charges on their credit card and banning him from using the computer.

5starpool wrote:
    Nice post Captain Nemo, for a Corkman like :)

Nah, as Cork people love to remind me, I'll always be a Dub, and not even the good kind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

4BB/hr/table so it would depend on the number of tables they are playing and how good they are at multi-tabling.

jimmii wrote:
    4BB/hr/table so it would depend on the number of tables they are playing and how good they are at multi-tabling.

I forgot about multi-tabling. Also another good way to help yourself go bust if you're on a bad run as I discovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It would speed it up thats for sure! But seeing as it didn't happen I guess there's not much need to delve into it any deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

ChipLdr wrote:
    My current Poker winnings/losses: This is from approx 10,000 hands
    How did people not pick up on this? This happens almost every week now it seems, someone posts their stats and asks about their winrate and people give serious answers despite a really statistically insignificant number of hands.

Over the first 22,000 hands of this year I ran at 1 ptBB/100 or so, maybe a little more.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/roundtower/Jan2007.jpg

Over the 22k hands starting on March 6, I ran at 20ptBB/100.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/roundtower/bb.jpg

Probably my real winrate is somewhere in between these two. So next time any of you look at your winrate after a mere 50k hands, chances are it is out by as much as 10ptBB/100. This could mean that although it appears you are crushing the game, you are actually a small loser. Or that while it appears you are just getting by and grinding out a small profit, you are a massive 10ptBB/100 donator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Hi,

I only read a few lines of the OP but all I can say is don't do it.....

I don't understand all of the stats myself but irregardless, what I will say is why would you want to do this full-time?......There must be something out there that interests you as much as poker does?

Poker as an extra income can be great, but to rely on it to pay the bills will drive you mad...... (the bank doesn't want to hear about a bad patch) ...... Most of the biggest winners that I have met over the years have at least one other significant source of income......I would say that 1 in 10,000 players out there can make it as a pro and most of them are not necessarily the best players, they just have the most discipline and temperment.

You also need to be completely honest with yourself as regards your stats and the type of time-frame (as RoundTower says) and money involved etc.....

Hiya RT! Until I looked into the maths a little bit I didn't quite believe how much variance is normal over even what seemed to me like a very large sample of hands. When I was on my initial rush I thought "Well a month of this might be just luck but 6 months can't be" but now that I understand a bit more about it it seems to me that there are probably many pros out there who don't even realize that they are basically just on an improbable but statistically normal wave of extended luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I'm not disagreeing at all with the cautionary advice but want to give the flip side to this too.RT is quite right that the variance is huge and it's hard to get a good fix on what your real E(V) is, still if you're well in the positive after several hundred thousand hands, chances are very high that you're a winning player. I worked it out and I hope my maths are right here that if you had played 200000 hands, if you averaged 6ptBB/100, had a standard deviation of 42ptbb/100 then there's a 95% chance that your actual win rate is between 4.15ptBB/100 and 7.84ptBB/100, of course your win rate is going to be constantly in flux as new sites, new players and other factors change.

If people have been doing well at poker as a hobby at at least $1-2 NL level over a couple hundred thousand hands, and realise all the positives and negatives (I'm not going to rehash them here) that go with having poker as a job and it's still something someone they really want to do ,then and only then they should they give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

What other plans have you got? Sounds like, from reading some replies, even if you do financially well enough, you may find full time poker a bit dull. If it were me doing this, I'd spend some time while I was doing it thinking of other options that might be better in the long run, just in case. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

what's happening chipldr? Interested to find out how it's going and I'm sure I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

move up levels.
    everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

What a thread.

Im a firm believer in gut,guile,hard work,honesty in labour,belief in what you want and encouragement for those brave enough to try out new things.

The same characteristics I have mentioned above have allowed me create my own successful business that now allows me play poker as a hobby.

From your thread I feel you too have many of the traits that allow people to be successful i.e Drive, persistence, self belief, determination, vision along with some others.

For you there is nothing stopping you from at least ''TRYING'' to give it a go. The person who doesnt take risks risks nothing. Give it a go for the summer and report back in Autumn. Record everything you possibly can. Poker traker etc etc. Do spread sheets, Analyse your business because it now is a ''business'' and treat your business with the respect it deserves.. Information is power and gives you to ability to make changes where necessary.

Find something that motivates you to keep going every day. Unfortunately the motivation in poker is sometimes limited to making the money. However its what the money gives is what allows you get motivated. What I mean by that is if you only set a daily money target you will soon get very bored. Visualise what the money can buy for you and keep that as your moivation.

1 of my earliest motivations a few years back was to reach a certain sales target in work. The prize for this was a €600 Christmas Hamper that I could give to my folks. The extra money earned along the way was irrelavant so you get the picture yeah.

Suggested goals for a guy of your age IMO should be deposit for house, buy the house, even rent it out but have something visualised that will make your long term goal seem even sweeter and which will also allow you cope better with the money swings often mentioned in this thread.

However i really really really do believe that the characteristics i feel you have should be channeled and used in other areas of business. Have you any business ideas's that you could employ the same belief and drive to and make a success of them. Poker as a full time job would not be for me but thats because my circumstances are completlely different i.e mortgage, family , business etc etc.

If it does nt work out so the fk what. You tried and you either succeed or fail and no harm in that. The realities of the Poker pro have been outlined in this thread and for the majority it aint that attractive.

But employ the same values and characteristics elsewhere and you will make a success of whatever you finally settle your career on.

Phew end of post. Good luck dude

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Great post Jay, i wish I had read it years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

Jayminator wrote: »
    What a thread.

Im a firm believer in gut,guile,hard work,honesty in labour,belief in what you want and encouragement for those brave enough to try out new things.

The same characteristics I have mentioned above have allowed me create my own successful business that now allows me play poker as a hobby.

From your thread I feel you too have many of the traits that allow people to be successful i.e Drive, persistence, self belief, determination, vision along with some others.

For you there is nothing stopping you from at least ''TRYING'' to give it a go. The person who doesnt take risks risks nothing. Give it a go for the summer and report back in Autumn. Record everything you possibly can. Poker traker etc etc. Do spread sheets, Analyse your business because it now is a ''business'' and treat your business with the respect it deserves.. Information is power and gives you to ability to make changes where necessary.

Find something that motivates you to keep going every day. Unfortunately the motivation in poker is sometimes limited to making the money. However its what the money gives is what allows you get motivated. What I mean by that is if you only set a daily money target you will soon get very bored. Visualise what the money can buy for you and keep that as your moivation.

1 of my earliest motivations a few years back was to reach a certain sales target in work. The prize for this was a €600 Christmas Hamper that I could give to my folks. The extra money earned along the way was irrelavant so you get the picture yeah.

Suggested goals for a guy of your age IMO should be deposit for house, buy the house, even rent it out but have something visualised that will make your long term goal seem even sweeter and which will also allow you cope better with the money swings often mentioned in this thread.

However i really really really do believe that the characteristics i feel you have should be channeled and used in other areas of business. Have you any business ideas's that you could employ the same belief and drive to and make a success of them. Poker as a full time job would not be for me but thats because my circumstances are completlely different i.e mortgage, family , business etc etc.

If it does nt work out so the fk what. You tried and you either succeed or fail and no harm in that. The realities of the Poker pro have been outlined in this thread and for the majority it aint that attractive.

But employ the same values and characteristics elsewhere and you will make a success of whatever you finally settle your career on.

Phew end of post. Good luck dude

Jay

nice post, glad i found this thread.
    any updates on original poster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Irish Iron wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the OP is peter eastgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Great post Jay, i wish I had read it years ago

Great thread in general. I also find it interesting to note all the regulars in the thread who don't post here as much anymore (if at all), and the few who still seem to be making it as pro's. It's funny, but you could always tell who was cut out for it (yourself, ianmc, RT, etc). I think being a proper poker pro is a much more niche profession than it gets mainstream credit for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Lickarse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

CHD wrote: »
    Lickarse :)

lol, yeah, it wasn't really meant to be. Just an observation that after all the threads on here over the years about going pro, fcuk all have been cut out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Irish Iron wrote: »

No updates on the OP, but Jayminators posts have gone considerably downhill since this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HibsAreIt

Just read threw this thread and found some of the comments realy intresting.In my opinion Chipldr if you love poker as much as you say you do,whats the harm in giving it a go exspecialy if its the dream job in your eyes.As so many people said your young with nothing holding you back,now would realy be the time to give it a bash.
    Personaly if i was to do this and start at 100nl id want ATLEAST 50 buyins exspecialy if your planning to make a living of it.Quite easily go on swings of losing 5-10 buyins good player or not or maybe im just to cautious.
    Anyways hope you post a thread if/when you give it a go to keep us updated on how your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

HibsAreIt wrote: »
    Anyways hope you post a thread if/when you give it a go to keep us updated on how your doing.

LMAO - Since the OP started this thread he's prob got married, had two kids, bought a gaff at the top of the property wave and is now faced with negative equity/mounting debts and is contemplating giving fulltime poker another go ! I just love it when these old threads pop up again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

PiperT wrote: »
    LMAO - Since the OP started this thread he's prob got married, had two kids, bought a gaff at the top of the property wave and is now faced with negative equity/mounting debts and is contemplating giving fulltime poker another go ! I just love it when these old threads pop up again :-)

he works in ticketmaster afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HibsAreIt

Well its not hard to work out that im pretty new on the forum,found myself browsing threw threads :)

Advertisement