Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Soccer game (kick about)

• 05-12-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anybody know of a weekly kick-about in Galway City. I haven't played in years.....not good enough for a club but would love a regular game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

ME07 wrote: »
    Does anybody know of a weekly kick-about in Galway City. I haven't played in years.....not good enough for a club but would love a regular game.

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I play in Drom on Mondays from 7:00 until 8:00 and Mervue on Fridays (6:30-7:30). We're always looking for players so feel free to come along. PM me if you want more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I commute to Galway every day but would love to have a game in the evening. Would have a mate as well that would be interested.
    All you need is 10 players and we could book an astro turf pitch somewhere?

All you need is 10 players and we could book an astro turf pitch somewhere?
    That's easier said than done unfortunately. To be reasonably certain of having 10 players each game, you would need a pool of at least 15 people so that you are not left short when people pull out. Funnily enough, I find it's easier to get players this time of year rather than in the summer. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

malice_ wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I find it's easier to get players this time of year rather than in the summer. I wonder why that is?

Beer gardens ;)

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Beer gardens ;)
    :D I would have thought that people would be more likely to be active during the summer. Most evenings when I play in the Winter I dread the wind and rain. It's fine once you actually start playing but the first few steps from the changing room or the car to the pitch... Brr!!

:D I would have thought that people would be more likely to be active during the summer. Most evenings when I play in the Winter I dread the wind and rain. It's fine once you actually start playing but the first few steps from the changing room or the car to the pitch... Brr!!

Yeah I hear ya dude, was in Drom last night got feckin' soaked, don't mind tho' got a kickabout.
    We have the same problem during the summer, suppose people taking 2 week holidays here and there can screw it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm keen for a game any chance/any night I can, if there's more space ?

I'm keen for a game any chance/any night I can, if there's more space ?
    PM me if you want details of the games that I play in. I play in Drom on Mondays from 7:00 until 8:00 and Mervue on Fridays (6:30-7:30). The standard isn't too high (you'll understand if you see me play :) ) so don't worry if you're not this generation's equivalent of Diego Maradona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

where is drom?

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    where is drom?
    It's where Salthill Devon play. There's a map available here. It can be a little hard to find if you're not familiar with the area. It's probably easier to find in Winter because you can just keep travelling towards the floodlights :)

PM me if you want details of the games that I play in. I play in Drom on Mondays from 7:00 until 8:00 and Mervue on Fridays (6:30-7:30). The standard isn't too high (you'll understand if you see me play :) ) so don't worry if you're not this generation's equivalent of Diego Maradona!

Will this still be going on after the new year? just turn up or do you need notice?

Will this still be going on after the new year? just turn up or do you need notice?
    Yep, both games should still be happening. The Friday game has been going since 2003 and the Monday game since early 2006 so they are in no danger of winding up :). We just get stuck for players on a fairly regular basis.
    Normally we just send a few texts or e-mails around on the morning of each game to establish who's coming and or not coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'd be up for this, but i wont be able to play until after the auld xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

iv as much skill now as a man with no legs,but i love watching it.
    that sed,if theres a gang a guys gettin together for a kick about(with as much "talent" as mesel, id be up for a kick about

Yep, both games should still be happening. The Friday game has been going since 2003 and the Monday game since early 2006 so they are in no danger of winding up :). We just get stuck for players on a fairly regular basis.
    Normally we just send a few texts or e-mails around on the morning of each game to establish who's coming and or not coming.

Grand job must see how i'm set after christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I'd be very interested in joining after Christmas as well especially when I start back in college. Is the standard high though. I think at best my skills would be classed as VERY VERY crap. Sigh:o

Is that eight posters already on this thread? With just a couple more players we could nearly just make a whole new game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 colin190

I would also be interested in playing in the new year. So that makes 9!

So is it just turn up or what?

• Advertisement

So is it just turn up or what?
    I'm not sure what you mean with this question. Are you saying to just turn up in Drom to look for a game to join? You could do that (there's often games that are short of players) but you'd be much better off arranging something beforehand :).

Assuming everyone has recovered from the excesses of Christmas by now, is anyone up for either joining in with one of the organised games I mentioned previously or starting a whole new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Time/Place?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

would be interested if this gets going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ME07

Assuming everyone has recovered from the excesses of Christmas by now, is anyone up for either joining in with one of the organised games I mentioned previously or starting a whole new one?

I want to join the monday game (7-8). I'm not sure how to do this so I'm just gonna show up next monday and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'll prob be there on Fridays.

Thanks to every one that PMed me. I think I have responded to you all. Looking at the responses to the thread there are 12 people that have expressed an interest so I think the best thing to do would be to try and organise a new game rather than try to slot one or two people in here and there.

The twelve are: Me, ME07, Wanderers Fan, Gunslinger, DeadSkin, MuppetKiller, Jizzlord, PapaGormo, King John V, colin190, Demeant0r and paraicr.

So who's available and at what times? If everyone's available at the same time, that will make organising a slot much easier :).
    Personally I'm definitely available to play on Tuesday and Thursday evenings any time from 6pm on.

Dropped ya a pm there malice_

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Dropped ya a pm there malice_
    Got it! ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry for the short notice but if anyone's free to play football tonight from 9pm to 10pm there's two people missing from our regular line up. Give me a PM if you need a lift and I'll see what I can do.

Advertisement