Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jumping the digiweb ship but where to go?

• 09-02-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭
    TangoTwit

Hi All. I've decided to switch from Digiweb cos there rolling 30 day cap means that I never get to use the servuce I've payed for, I wouldn't even be using it all if they let me. They just keep me throttled back foe so long that it's not practical to stay with them. before anyone chimes in with 'well you're just using too much' don't bother. I need to find a new service provider which is similar but doesn't cut me off for so long. I'm in Renmore, Galway and don't have a phone line(which makes it interesting) I'd probably never use more than 20 gigs a month ever.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Toft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

Oh and yup It's for P2P so that's a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A calendar cap is less fair and if you never use 20G you would never hit 30G.

If you are throttled it is because you have exceeded 30G. Some suppliers cut you off entirely, others charge.

You'll only get as service anything as good as Metro on a Phone line or possibly Cable.

Some Wireless services don't have a cap at all because they are slow enough that you'd never be able to use 30Gbyte.

Some Wireless suppliers and Cable operators block P2P completely or throttle it to dialup speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

digiweb metro offer extra bandwith for higher monthly fee.
    do ibb, ntl, bt, eircom, actually charge for going over the limit?
    friends of mine on these services have no knowledge of their limit and never seem to get correspondence from the companies concerned.
    smart apparently have no limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you can get smart in your exchange, by all means get it! They have no download limit as such but a fair usage policy does apply. The downside is that you do need a phoneline, but when you consider what smart charge overall for their service, it equates roughly to Digiweb's same package offering. Smart's service is, of course, dependent entirely on your phone line - distance from exchange, quality of the line etc. will affect the speed and quality of service you'll receive (as with any DSL ISP). To get them will mean you have to sign up to eircom first of all, get the line up and running, and then transfer the service over to smart.

Alternatively, Digiweb will allow you an extra 10GB monthly allowance for €6 extra per month on top of whatever you normally pay for your package. Seems a pretty reasonable price to pay IMO! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Digiweb's doberman once again attacking anyone that dares say anything about Digiweb. You going to actually help the poster Watty or just defend digiweb to the death?

You can always try Irish Broadband. Some friends on it are very happy with the lack of cap on their wireless and DSL products. And yeah, if you can get Smart, worth investing in them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He has a MAN fibre nearby running along the Dublin Road , get 1gbit off that Toft and seed baby seed.

You will love it seeing as you obviously have an unlimited budget there and should not be capped in the least .

damien.m wrote: »
    Digiweb's doberman once again attacking anyone that dares say anything about Digiweb. You going to actually help the poster Watty or just defend digiweb to the death?

You can always try Irish Broadband. Some friends on it are very happy with the lack of cap on their wireless and DSL products. And yeah, if you can get Smart, worth investing in them.

Indeed I thought he suggested he did not want a phone line which seriously limits options. On IBB Breeze I think you are limited to 2Mbps and even if you get a phone line you don't know until after if you can get DSL AT ALL. And also SMART is available to a small percentage of phone customers.

The OP also said he only wants 20G a month... :) So I was puzzled as why 30G was a problem.

P.S. I don't drool nor have fangs. I actually get criticised for helping non-Digiweb customers too much. I think the Dog analogy is a bit strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

watty wrote: »
    Indeed I thought he suggested he did not want a phone line which seriously limits options. On IBB Breeze I think you are limited to 2Mbps and even if you get a phone line you don't know until after if you can get DSL AT ALL. And also SMART is available to a small percentage of phone customers.

The OP also said he only wants 20G a month... :) So I was puzzled as why 30G was a problem.

P.S. I don't drool nor have fangs. I actually get criticised for helping non-Digiweb customers too much. I think the Dog analogy is a bit strong.

Pff I wouldnt worry, I agree with what you said, the rolling cap is far easier to keep a handle on.

Plus OP, I have a question for you.

You pay for 30gb a month. How does a rolling cap not allow you to get "the service you pay for"?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

As it happens I did get the 10 gig extra per month, I signed up for it a couple of weeks after I got Digiweb. the reason I'm pissed at Digiweb is cos if I pay for 40 gigs I want to use them all not a percentage of what I was promised. Regarding the cap If I want to use all 20 gigs in one day and do nothing for the rest of the month I should be able to; not have it rationed out dependent on a analysis of how I used my allocation last month. also why should I not be able to start using my account when I'm under the limit rather than when they feel I've been punished enough. and finally it wouldn't be so bad if they would let me use the gigs I couldn't use when they denied me access to my account. but once the month is gone so are the gigs.
    I'd rather not hear from any Digiweb employees pretending to be real people.
    This thread is about viable alternatives to Digiweb nothing else.

I'd consider getting a phone line in if it's worth it for the service, perhaps I should consider a tv/broadband package?

I looked into IBB Breeze a good while ago but they said that they didn't know if I would get it in Renmore and to wait till someone else did first, has any one herd any thing?

Thanks for the info so far, sorry I can't check up on this thred more often ( I'm on Digiweb you see:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The only two companies that enforce a cap are Digiweb and UTV, the rest give you free reign within reasonable limits.

The wireless companies always come with a risk factor as the technology isn't really that great. ADSL means paying eircom lots of money in line rental but it generally speaking works. I guess you need to check out prices and weigh up the different options available to you.

• Advertisement

And Clearwire, UPC/NTL/Chorus, O2, 3, Vodaphone.. Possibly some others.

Expect more operators to enforce the caps already in their T&Cs as they raise the speed.

Some operators the cap is the Calendar Month. Then if you use up your cap in the 1st few days you have to wait till the start of next month. With a 30day rolling Cap, it's only ever the last 30 days. you can see from the graphs on http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie when a big spike in download/upload will "fall of the 30 days". It means that for everyone the contention is well spread out over the month. With the Monthly "by date" system everyone expericences slow down at end of month as some people "try to use up" and a bigger slow down at start of month as people simultanously do as much as possible and then get used up.

The cap is to ensure fair use, i.e everyone getting a fair share of the contended bandwidth.

Wireless systems vary hugely. Mobile has a low cap because it lacks connection capacity. Slower fixed wireless systems can be as slow as 70k, obviously they don't have a cap, neither has dialup.

Your alternatives depend on willingless to get a phone line and risk as to if it will do DSL at all or how fast. Or if you are willing to pay x10 to x100 as much for fibre.

IBB Breeze is the main uncapped Wireless, but it's a contended 2Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Toft wrote: »
    As it happens I did get the 10 gig extra per month, I signed up for it a couple of weeks after I got Digiweb. the reason I'm pissed at Digiweb is cos if I pay for 40 gigs I want to use them all not a percentage of what I was promised. Regarding the cap If I want to use all 20 gigs in one day and do nothing for the rest of the month I should be able to; not have it rationed out dependent on a analysis of how I used my allocation last month. also why should I not be able to start using my account when I'm under the limit rather than when they feel I've been punished enough. and finally it wouldn't be so bad if they would let me use the gigs I couldn't use when they denied me access to my account. but once the month is gone so are the gigs.
    I'd rather not hear from any Digiweb employees pretending to be real people.
    This thread is about viable alternatives to Digiweb nothing else.

I'd consider getting a phone line in if it's worth it for the service, perhaps I should consider a tv/broadband package?

I looked into IBB Breeze a good while ago but they said that they didn't know if I would get it in Renmore and to wait till someone else did first, has any one herd any thing?

Thanks for the info so far, sorry I can't check up on this thred more often ( I'm on Digiweb you see:D )

If you are on Metro, it slows you down to 64k? I think when you go over cap, it doesnt cut you off. Plus I am not an employee. I had more complaints than you did when I first started, but they are all fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

if you are paying the extra €10 why not go the whole hogg and get the 5mb download and 50 gb for €59pm. Metro Extra.

Advertisement