Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Universe gets Greenlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the question is how commited sci-fi is to this project, are they gonna guarantee 4-5 seasons, or if there not happy wil preliminary figures just cut there losses and end the show afte half a season,

there expecting an immediate injection of viewers to the stargate universe, what if these viewers dont show, and there left with the current viwership, is this acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Sounds alot like Voyager to me.

You know, they'd spend this amount of time in, we'll say, Kason (sp?) space, then as they move they find themselves in Borg space, etc.

So there is a little scope for recurring characters etc. If someone loses popularity, they get trapped in a gate or they move on to the next piece of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sliders meets Stargate meets Voyager tbh. I mean, how many times did I watch Voyager thinking "They're gonna go down to that planet, and find a stargate!"

Just as long as they dont try and come up with a really bad opener and get all the sound effects mixed up...

or cast people too young...

or make it too space-shippy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ixoy wrote: »
    Apparently the producers are going to make this one darker and are looking a bit at what BSG has done. So BSG has younger characters, a bit bleaker, and is more dramatic (the science piece of the sci-fi is actually quite small).

How exactly are they going to make it more like BSG and make it appeal to a younger audience?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I'm going to go on record now and say, This will suck ;)

SG-1 worked on the basis that RDA was a great actor and the scripts were really witty, but also humanist stories ;)

Atlantis completely left all that in its dust. Hell, season 8-10 of SG-1 missed this point entirely, too.

The words "reinvent", "franchise" and "Stargate" just dont work together. If you are reinventing the stargate franchise, then you arent selling what was so successful in the first place, you are just making up a whole new show again and you have to go through the luck based process, of latching onto something that people like.

Atlantis has already been a casuality of such an endeavour and Enterprise has already demonstrated that Nerds are just as fickle as regular Joe Schmo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ivan, someday somewhere you'll say something positive about stargate and I hope we get it on tape.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I say positive stuff about Stargate all the time. Stargate SG-1 was a great show. Rodney McCay is my favourite character in any of the shows...

Uhmm...
    Tayla has really nice hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's not forget that Dr. Keller is Hawt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

seamus wrote: »
    Let's not forget that Dr. Keller is Hawt!
    That's what this forum needs, a thread of Stargate babes ala the Lost forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Yup, always had a soft spot for Jewel :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Beautiful Jewel Staite...................Oh how I could marry her, that is if I wasn't already married (wife beating me over head now :eek:)

Im busy, someone: Post Jewel pics now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

she was hotter when she had a bit of meat on her, in firefly.. in atlantis she was very meh.

Do you remember her first appearence on Firefly??;) She was ahem, liaising with Mal's original engineer as she just wanted to be around engines. Can't describe it any more as there may be kids watching so I'm off home to watch Firefly again, and again, and again (dirty old sod I am):D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

With yet another Star Trek/ sci-fi actor in Stargate Atlantis (Nicole DeBoer) who wants to start taking bets on the new Stargate Universe cast?

It's not that I dislike all the well known sci-fi actors popping up since SG-1 series 8 but surely there are actors who are less well known to the audience (most likely fans of other sci-fi) that are just as good and don't require us to keep reminding ourselves which show we're watching?

Anyway with that in mind I'm thinking that the new show cast will include Will Wheaton, Nathon Fillion, a couple more farscape people, Jeri Ryan, and maybe Porthos the dog from Enterprise. :P

Porthos was a terrible actor. no synergy at all. He just sat on the floor and moped around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Does anyone else think that the way sci fi has stated there will be an ALL new cast in universe may just bring this new series far too distant from the original two series. I mean, SGA touched base with earth occasionally and brought familiar characters into episodes all the time which kind of stopped fans getting "homesick" in a word. The pitch for this show says to me that the main goal of this expedition will be returning home - sounds a lot like voyager. This implies a total disconnection with the Milky Way Galaxy, something a lot of fans may not appreciate, myself included. For this reason i think a couple of regulars MUST be brought over to the universe world to provide some source of familiarity for fans.

Any suggestions here?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Overheal wrote: »
    Porthos was a terrible actor. no synergy at all. He just sat on the floor and moped around.

Porthos? :eek: He was a dog?! ;)

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the way sci fi has stated there will be an ALL new cast in universe may just bring this new series far too distant from the original two series. I mean, SGA touched base with earth occasionally and brought familiar characters into episodes all the time which kind of stopped fans getting "homesick" in a word. The pitch for this show says to me that the main goal of this expedition will be returning home - sounds a lot like voyager. This implies a total disconnection with the Milky Way Galaxy, something a lot of fans may not appreciate, myself included. For this reason i think a couple of regulars MUST be brought over to the universe world to provide some source of familiarity for fans.

Any suggestions here?

I think that is the idea that the producers are running with - to bring Stargate in a whole new direction that is disconnected from SG-1 and Atlantis, although maintaining the general Stargate theme.

That being said, Atlantis was suppose to be a stand-alone show without much connection to Earth / SGC, but time proved that it relied heavily on that connection.

• Advertisement

I think that is the idea that the producers are running with - to bring Stargate in a whole new direction that is disconnected from SG-1 and Atlantis, although maintaining the general Stargate theme.

That being said, Atlantis was suppose to be a stand-alone show without much connection to Earth / SGC, but time proved that it relied heavily on that connection.

I see your point, but you cant possibly tell me that you didnt get a smile on your face when O'Neill and Teal'c visited Atlantis(seperate occasions), or even moreso when Carter was given command.
    I like those little bits.
    Gets me all nostalgic and such.
    And I liked the kind of parallel between pegasus and earth stories.
    That being said, the show COULD move into new directions while still incorporating parts of SG1 and SGA that fans love, giving us a taste of the best of both worlds - old and new.

But i suppose if people think that the show is getting stale and repetitive, a new and completely fresh slate could be just what you need to refresh your love of the franchise. But it's all a matter of opinion, and in mine, I think all the established characters and stories are far too complex and fascinating to merely be mentioned in passing from here on out.

However, it's all a matter of opinion.

I see your point, but you cant possibly tell me that you didnt get a smile on your face when O'Neill and Teal'c visited Atlantis(seperate occasions), or even moreso when Carter was given command.
    I like those little bits.
    Gets me all nostalgic and such.
    And I liked the kind of parallel between pegasus and earth stories.
    That being said, the show COULD move into new directions while still incorporating parts of SG1 and SGA that fans love, giving us a taste of the best of both worlds - old and new.

But i suppose if people think that the show is getting stale and repetitive, a new and completely fresh slate could be just what you need to refresh your love of the franchise. But it's all a matter of opinion, and in mine, I think all the established characters and stories are far too complex and fascinating to merely be mentioned in passing from here on out.

However, it's all a matter of opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love SG-1. In fact, I was dubious about the producers initially attempting to disassociate Atlantis from SG-1 and it's characters in order to create a brand new stand-alone spin off.

If I had my way, I would have moved SG-1 to Atlantis and let them continue their adventures there. The only reason I tuned in to Atlantis was because of the eventual connection with Earth and the original characters. I was delighted when Carter was given command and thought it might have be the salvation of Atlantis, but it was clear that Tapping's heart was just not in the role. It turned out to be the beginning of the end for Atlantis. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned for Stargate Universe.

If I had my way, I would have moved SG-1 to Atlantis and let them continue their adventures there. The only reason I tuned in to Atlantis was because of the eventual connection with Earth and the original characters. I was delighted when Carter was given command and thought it might have be the salvation of Atlantis, but it was clear that Tapping's heart was just not in the role. It turned out to be the beginning of the end for Atlantis. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned for Stargate Universe.

I have to disagree with the notion of SG1 moving to atlantis as it would be considerably "cheating" in my view. Giving the same characters a fresh slate in a new galaxy would have let to repetitive storylines, considering the differences in the way the teams would react to similar circumstances. It is a major factor in distinguishing sg1 from sga.

I will agree with the statement Amanda Tapping not being 100% in with atlantis - but i do like what theyve done with robert picardo coming in as i am a huge fan of him from voyager and early sg1 eps. I think there should be a more contrasting range of characters within atlantis on the atlantis front. Woolsey adds a nice touch to pegasus and i cant help but like his character.

I have to disagree with the notion of SG1 moving to atlantis as it would be considerably "cheating" in my view. Giving the same characters a fresh slate in a new galaxy would have let to repetitive storylines, considering the differences in the way the teams would react to similar circumstances. It is a major factor in distinguishing sg1 from sga.

I will agree with the statement Amanda Tapping not being 100% in with atlantis - but i do like what theyve done with robert picardo coming in as i am a huge fan of him from voyager and early sg1 eps. I think there should be a more contrasting range of characters within atlantis on the atlantis front. Woolsey adds a nice touch to pegasus and i cant help but like his character.

I don't think transferring SG-1 characters into SGA would have been too much different, if any at all, from the way a fresh slate was created by the whole Ori story line (new galaxy, new enemy ..). Though, I think mainly, a lot of my opinions about Atlantis come from the basis that it could have been done better .. far better. I was a little ambiguous about Atlantis ending, as on one end I was hopeful that they would get it right at some point (I know after five seasons of it being wrong it was a lost hope) but on the other end I was happy the travesty was over. Let's hope they get Universe right from the get-go.

I agree, Picardo rocks, but the problem is, he'll always be the Doc from Voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I don't think they will drop the ball on Universe as there is too much to lose. With Atlantis cancelled, Universe will remain the only Stargate TV show and as such needs to be consistently good and not intermittently so; as is currently the case with Atlantis.

Whatever happens I just hope they make Stargate fun again, like the original movie and like the SG1 series we all loved, as I am eagerly awaiting a return to form from the writers and producers of the greatest show on TV.

I do hope the writers do themselves justice, but i still want to see how they cast it. Ben Browder didn't impress me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I don't think they will drop the ball on Universe as there is too much to lose. With Atlantis cancelled, Universe will remain the only Stargate TV show and as such needs to be consistently good and not intermittently so; as is currently the case with Atlantis.

Whatever happens I just hope they make Stargate fun again, like the original movie and like the SG1 series we all loved, as I am eagerly awaiting a return to form from the writers and producers of the greatest show on TV.

We can only hope. But look at previous examples. The ball was well and truly dropped when it came to Enterprise.

I'm going to hope for the best with the new series but if I even hear one producer saying they want to 'sex up' the show that's it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

One of the things that has been lacking for me in Stargate is the whole Egyptian mythology stuff. Since the defeat of the Goa'uld there has really been nothing to replace that link. The replicators were lacking, the Ori began with the Arthurian mythology, and the Asgard had a tentative link to Norse mythology, but for me that's not much. A big part of Stargate was the link between sci-fi and ancient mythology, Daniel Jackson's knowledge of which added depth and some gravitas to what was otherwise a fluffy, lightweight show. This has been missing in Atlantis, and looks like it will be even more absent in SGU.

I would love to see a race that has similar links to Earth's past, maybe links with Sumerian or Incan mythology, or even the Cthulhu mythos. SGU looks like a missed opportunity to get back one of the aspects that made Stargate great in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I loved the fact that SG1 used existing legend and history to give the goa'uld a back-story be it Egyptian, Chinese or African. I agree, the mythology aspect is practically non-existent in Atlantis and is one of the many things that make it extremely lacking in comparison to SG1.

I honestly don't think there will ever be a show like SG1 again, but I certainly hope Universe attempts to obtain some of that glory. It's all about casting too as Richard Dean Anderson was perfect for the role of Jack O'Neill and gave it the oomph the show needed. They did a good job of making Sheppard a nice Atlantis version of Jack but failed miserably with Mitchell when Jack left SG1.

It will certainly be interesting to see what actors they choose for the new Stargate show and I definitely have hope that they will do all the dedicated Stargate fans proud with their choices.

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I loved the fact that SG1 used existing legend and history to give the goa'uld a back-story be it Egyptian, Chinese or African. I agree, the mythology aspect is practically non-existent in Atlantis and is one of the many things that make it extremely lacking in comparison to SG1.

I honestly don't think there will ever be a show like SG1 again, but I certainly hope Universe attempts to obtain some of that glory. It's all about casting too as Richard Dean Anderson was perfect for the role of Jack O'Neill and gave it the oomph the show needed. They did a good job of making Sheppard a nice Atlantis version of Jack but failed miserably with Mitchell when Jack left SG1.

It will certainly be interesting to see what actors they choose for the new Stargate show and I definitely have hope that they will do all the dedicated Stargate fans proud with their choices.

It would be a mistake to try to do a redo of SG1 in the SGU show. SG1 worked brilliantly for 7 seasons until RDA left and Don S Davis followed. Browder wasn't too bad but he was no RDA. As for Landry, wrong choice there I'm afraid.

I can't see them putting together a cast as good as the original SG1 that would work in Universe. If they were to try, I suggest the following:
    I'm a big fan of Firefly/Serenity and Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin would make two great characters. Fillion is very similar to O'Neill in the sarcastic/non teckie but brave leadership role. Baldwin is the kick ass type who might be a good Ronin/Teal'c character. Jewel Staite is already on SGA but why not bring her onboard as well for continuity. Actually, Picardo could also fulfil the 'nerdy' role similar to Jackson/McKay. I would have Picardo and Staite go through a wormhole from Atlantis but due to a massive disruption somewhere, they get thrown into another galaxy where they meet up with the Universe cast. Bit like how the Voyager crew where sucked into the Gamma quadrant. That would be 4 great characters, with links back to the original series thrown in for good measure.

As for the story arc, the mythology bit has been done (well I'll admit) and so has the evil nemesis bit (the wraith - good idea but failed miserably). So if you want to avoid a rerun of Voyager, where do you go with this? You need a good focal point for continuity but I can't see them coming up with one and so I do believe that we'll just have a Voyager clone in the making with some kind of Borg clone as the ongoing evil enemy.

I know its sacriligious to say it but perhaps Stargate should be laid to rest as what started off a a great movie (Stargate), turned into a brilliant franchise (SG1) and then it started its downward slide with Atlantis. The 2 movies released were hit and miss and I see this as just becoming a smart way for the studios to milk the cash cow that is Stargate for what's left in it.

Advertisement