Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

• 31-08-2008 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I'm in South Dublin, and I have a BT 3mb connection. Over the past couple of days it's been cutting out every so often and/or crawling at almost dialup speeds. Anyone else having this issue with BT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yep, having the same problems but only in the evenings. I have a feeling this is a consequence of the 8mb upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yes! I was hoping this wasn't specific to me, but I'm on the 24Mb (which usually syncs between 10Mb to 12Mb) and I'm getting 1KBps download right now. I'm serious... 1 measly kilobyte a second from my gmail. This is a farce!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Me too
    Miserable speeds at the moment
    My upl;oad speed is fine though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I see I see. I might give them a ring tomorrow if this continues. I'm so p*ssed off right now that if I was any more p*ssed off I'd probably be walking around with a minigun firing indiscriminately into crowds of people.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Same here in Cork for the last few days. Unusuable on the iPod Touch last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Yup, what's up? Slower download speeds and generally flaky connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cop41

Same here in Limerick...
    Speeds are hopeless on my BT 2mb connection.
    Youtube take years to load!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donkeyradish

South Galway its atrocious download rates, less than 20% of normal.
    • In May I'm told I'm getting a free upgrade in June
    • Then in July I'm told its not June after all, but 'Post-September'
    • And now I find that while they are in the process of upgrading everyone else, I have to put up with a downgraded service. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

parsi wrote: »
    Same here in Cork for the last few days.

+1

About 15% normal d/l

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Have any of you been doing a lot of downloading? They may have throttled you for exceeding the cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

yes connections to many locations in the US (mostly) seem to be fscked from BT since yesterday :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im on BT too (3mb) and speeds have been dreadful this weekend. At the moment im only getting ISDN download speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

I'm in Co.Sligo on UTV my speeds are down to ISDN on 2mb package awaiting upgrade. Seems to be others as well as BT Upload speed working ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Yep same in Swords and this has been since the 9th of August for me.

That was the day of the floods, but the rain didn't start until about 4:30pm and I my internet was out from before 10am.

When I finally got through to their tech support I was told

1st: Because of the floods your service is out

so I said "No, my internet was out before the floods" to which the guy responded

2nd: Oh wait, yes, you are correct, they are upgrading the exchanges, that is the problem.

I told them that based on that they could get to feck if they thought I was paying for this month, they told me I would have to get onto "customer service" to raise this issue.

I've had to phone them about 3 times a week about this and every time I ask them what is going on I have to tell them to stop blaming the floods because they have already admitted to me that it was an exchange upgrade issue.

From that day on I have had a wee wee poor connection.

I ain't a happy bunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

(sorry for double post - it took me over 6 mins to get the post uploaded) AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

its almost at a standstill this evening

316455264.png Maybe they are trying to fix it.

last week was 6,700 mb dl but the ping was still a ridiculous 120ms.

Seemingly this slow ping affects browsing on active sites like bbc.co.uk or any blog type sites with SQL database

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I certainly haven't been doing any excessive downloading. I got so annoyed with the internet that I actually watched TV tonight. :( Dear oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

I got confirmation from BT that eircom are performing rate limiting after 4PM and all weekend until they resolve their issues on certain parts of their network. It would explain why the speed tests on this site where indicating possible traffic shaping.

I would love to know if eircom customers are exempt from this and if its only resellers that experience this.

BTW 7.6Mb connection, download speeds 9AM 300KB (still low), evening times it 80KB max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

At least people are still get some connectivity....

I was unable to use the internet since 12pm yesterday....

this has been happening intermittently for the past 2 months almost...

usually it goes down for a few mins (previous longest being 1 hour) and then comes back...

yesterday was just a joke tho! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

On BT in Portmarnock for almost 4 years and am the same as everyone here - its mega slow especially in the evenings. Never had a problem up until this whole line upgrade was mentioned about 6-8 weeks back then the service got really awful.

Havent been upgraded yet, have constantly been on to BT who havent sorted it out and am seriously considering switching altogether especially now they cant even tell me when the line WILL be upgraded. The service right now for 3mb on BT is totally abysmal and am still paying for the highest package??!!

(We are most definitely not being throttled as are nowhere near our cap and our line can potentially take speeds of up to 15mb so its should not be a problem to upgrade to 8mb...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Same here on UTV 3MB, speed is barable during the morning but slows terribly by evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Same for me all y'day, awful speeds.

I dont download whatsoever so its not Throttling.

They seemed to have sorted the DL speed but the UL and ping is ridiculous
    316642688.png

Have been on to BT without success.

He told me that I should have complained before. Told him I thought that they would 'iron out' the problems of the upgrade in time.
    He said he was unaware of anybody else complaining of such problems. Told me not to beleive what people are saying on boards.ie. :eek:Told him that there are several customers of his on boards.ie, with same complaint. He said he was unaware of any problem at all.

He then poceeded to take me through the whole router configuration routine. As my router is plugged in direct to a dedicated cable from main juntion box only 3m long. He asked if I had a filter on the telephone line. Told him if I had not he wouldn't be able to talk with me.

When i did a ping from router itself an it showed improvement (10%) over DOS ping on my wireless laptop(which would be normal), I told him that the router ping speed was over 80ms for bbc site and near 100ms for rte site. But he admitted that he ping speed should be about 20-30ms.

Asked me to plug out phone, and check ping again. As i was on the landline the call dropped :mad: after i plugged it out.

Pinging most uk/ie sites direct from router is giving a reading of 80+ ms, but sometimes much more.
    Pinging international sites (IE GOOGLE) give a reading of 160-170 ms direct from my router

Rang back. Got a much nicer guy, Sean. Gave him the readings. Gave him the full tracert to rte.ie as he requested. Seemed very surprised how bad the result was. He pinged similar sites from his own terminal, and got similar results also.

He said he will test my line after I hung up, and forward the problem to another division.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Wow - that just goes to show how bad they are cos they have had 13 phone calls with myself and my husband over the past 6 weeks and 11 emails about the same problem! :(

Must be a selective memory problem!...they also "tested" our line and said we have whats called a "perfect connection!" even though we clearly dont!

(Btw you dont happen to use Trend Micros Internet Security by any chance? A mate of mine found this was causing unusually high pings? Doesnt explain anything else though...)

Nope

I just use AVG

In any case; It should not affect the pings direct from the router.

It has actually improved somewhat now

316745992.png

I am aware that speedtest.net is not very accurate for pings

My ping through cmd.exe on my wireless laptop is 72ms

My actual ping direct from the router to westnet.ie is exactly 50ms for each of the four packets, a long way from the 123ms stated by 'speedtest'.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Something is really up:
    UTV 3MB Syncing at 4736/512 kbps ??????
    316766325.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mine seems ok so far today
    Downloaded almost 6 gig this morning as per normal.. Flying..!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭unnamed

The slow down has begun again. I tested my speed this afternoon as I was getting 14Mb ... now I'm getting 700Kb.

BT Tech support has an announcement that there is an outage in the dublin (01) area.

Advertisement