Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Anderson Silva talking to Brazilian cable channel SporTV

"I'll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don't need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I'll put my gloves aside."

Made me cry a little....just a little :(

In a way he has a point. He's dismantled whoever was put in front of him and i don't see anyone taking him in the current climate. I also think Anderson was a man who knew very clearly what he wanted to do during his title reign.

Finally, i think he has some goals that lie outside the possible remit of his current contract.

That said, i hope he continues to fight.

Thats probably why he's been pushing the UFC so hard to keep giving him fights. By the standards of the Brazilian economy he's made an absolute fortune so I'm sure he doesnt need to keep fighting for monetary reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Thats probably why he's been pushing the UFC so hard to keep giving him fights. By the standards of the Brazilian economy he's made an absolute fortune so I'm sure he doesnt need to keep fighting for monetary reasons.
    by the standards of our economy he's made a bloody fortune too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Also, a boxing career would be very lucrative

In other news, Bisping & Hendo are rumoured to be the next Tuf coaches, I feel they may be over looking Bispings match with Leben myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Also, a boxing career would be very lucrative

I'm not so sure that it would without the exposure of the UFC. Anderson still isn't a top draw within the UFC and without them he's mainly just an MMA fighter. I don't think that he'd draw too well in boxing based on his name alone
    In other news, Bisping & Hendo are rumoured to be the next Tuf coaches, I feel they may be over looking Bispings match with Leben myself....

They'll have a British fighter as a coach of the UK team, even if Bisping loses that fight is there a better choice for coach?

I just watched Strikeforce from the Playboy Mansion, not that great a show. Ishida and Josh Thomson both looked impressive, but both of their fights were mismatches. Misaki vs Joe Riggs had almost nothing happen in the first round. The finish was a bit crap too,
    Misaki knocked Riggs down and was hitting him, but not very hard and Riggs was defending. Ref stopped the fight anyway
    . Ken Shamrock on commentary sounded like such a different person from that Kimbo conference call, he came out with a lot of intelligent stuff. He's already above a lot of MMA commentators in my mind with that show. The atmosphere for the show was terrible. So many empty seats and the crowd weren't really into anyone

• Advertisement

CroCop seems to be back on form, at least on the mic!

Now i have always appreciated this guys sense of humour as much as his striking and this validates that point nicely!!!

Apparently at the Dream6 press conference CroCop stated that if Overeem beats him he will "tar and feather" himself and run around Amsterdam until he is arrested.

This is a response to Allistar calling him a chicken and old.

He also offered to fight again later on the card as he had heard that Mighty Mo was injured and didn't want Kharitonov to go home without a fight.

Funny stuff.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/cro-cop-offers-to-fight-overeem-kharitonov-at-dream-6-14489

Really hopin Mirko comes back to form in this one.

Is anyone else blown away by how much bigger Overeem has gotten in the last 2-3 years? He's huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/09/23/ufc-to-give-travis-lutter-another-chance/

Lutter apparently on his way back to UFC.

I think this is signicficant beacause while Lutter doesnt have many fans, myself included, he is potentially a top middleweight. I felt the UFC froze him to soon, and given the curretn state of MMA, if your not in the UFC or in Japan, you are nowhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ive just listened to an interview with UFC's President of European Operations Marshall Zelaznik and he said Dublin is on the very shortlist of venues that they are looking at running. He called Ireland a big market for UFC and it "will happen pretty quick" so there you go.

• Advertisement

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/09/23/ufc-to-give-travis-lutter-another-chance/

Lutter apparently on his way back to UFC.

I think this is signicficant beacause while Lutter doesnt have many fans, myself included, he is potentially a top middleweight. I felt the UFC froze him to soon, and given the curretn state of MMA, if your not in the UFC or in Japan, you are nowhere.

Lutter has top middleweight potential but he needs to stop his lone wolf bull**** and get a camp.

Missing weight for a title fight is pretty much inexcusable, gassing in the first during your next fight back is almost as bad. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would rather sit there and say he works hard in the face of the evidence, than just get someone to work him like a dog and reap the benefits of that.

Dragan I agree with your points, I have been dissapointed by Lutter in the past, and am not a fan. My point was geared towards him, and the other non-ufc fighters who find themselves isolated and without viable promotions

Just watched Mirko vs Overeem there. First of all, Overeem really is HUGE.
    Disappointing really. It was all Overeem up to the low blows, but they did look pretty damned sore to be fair. Not convinced by mirko, gonna need a rematch to really see whats happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

rovert wrote: »
    Ive just listened to an interview with UFC's President of European Operations Marshall Zelaznik and he said Dublin is on the very shortlist of venues that they are looking at running. He called Ireland a big market for UFC and it "will happen pretty quick" so there you go.

Link??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just watched Mirko vs Overeem there. First of all, Overeem really is HUGE.
    Disappointing really. It was all Overeem up to the low blows, but they did look pretty damned sore to be fair. Not convinced by mirko, gonna need a rematch to really see whats happening

Watched it there.
    Disappointing is an understatement. Crocop came out of it looking like a pussy in my opinion. He was getting a serious hiding with some great GNP by Overeem. Yeah he did get caught with a knee but he knew he didn't have much of a chance the way the fight was going and he took the easy way out.
    He made no attempt to get off his back and the only head kick he went for he got it caught, swept and dumped on his ass. Tarred & Feathered I think ;)

I completely agree. I hate to say it but i really have to consider CroCop to be done now. He talked a good game leading up to the fight but everything he did in the ring tells me he's too gun shy to ever be the KO machine he was. Big shame, i can't help but wonder whats going on in his head.

Link??

It's on f4wonline.com. You have to be a subscriber. I haven't listened yet but apparently it's a good interview

I'll give my thoughts on DREAM after my dinner :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yep what Fozzy said. There will 6-7 international shows next year and the one in Ireland would be around the Summer. Marshall was very forthcoming about a lot of stuff in the interview.

I watched the full DREAM show earlier today, it wasn't the best show they've had and it wasn't as good as DREAM 5
    Stuff I liked...The two quick submissions in the tournament semi-finals were good. Tokoro vs Yamamoto was a decent fight, there was some back and forth but I think with Yamamoto winning it kind of messes up the rumoured KID vs Tokoro fight for New Years Eve

Nice to see Funaki win. He looked real pleased with himself. Nine years since he last won!

The final wasn't that great. I had Mousasi down to win, but it was a bit of a flash KO, not entirely convincing. Well done to Mousasi though, I've thought for a while that he really has the potential to reach the top of the sport

There were a few boring fights. Nakamura vs Martins. Kharitonov vs Ambriz in a way, you knew that Kharitonov was winning and it was just a matter of waiting. I didn't really like Sakurai vs Hironaka

Akiyama took forever to finish his fight. Since he was the first big draw to fight on the card, I was starting to think that he was just stalling for time so that anyone just tuning in would stay to watch his match and bring the rating up

Aoki got the submission easily. It was just a squash match

Cro Cop didn't look in good shape or at his best, but I don't doubt that he was hurt bad. He was kneed at least three times, that can really mess you up

Their setting up of matches for the K-1 New Years Eve show didn't work out so well. Tokoro vs KID may be off now. Fedor vs Cro Cop looks off. Fedor vs Kharitonov would be better, with a Cro Cop/Overeem rematch. Akiyama was challenging Yoshida, who's with Sengoku, so that's unlikely to happen. And Aoki was challenging Akiyama. That would be a very interesting fight. Aoki would be outweighed by at least thirty pounds, but he's the more talented I think. Akiyama would be the favourite though, he'd have the ability to KO Aoki, something that Aoki won't be doing to him. It's not like Akiyama would be overwhelmed by Aoki's ground game either. That's why I don't think they'll actually make that fight, because they want to build up Aoki as a star, and risking him against a guy like Akiyama isn't the best way to do that

We'll probably find out by the end of the week if this is the last DREAM show. My hopes aren't high

Looks like Fedor won't be on the Affliction show in January now either, with him apparently fighting on New Years Eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Are spoilers still necessary. The show has come and gone and isn't going to be on anyone's irish television. but just in case,
    I LOVED Jacaré's sub in his first fight, have to start doing that.

• Advertisement

Are spoilers still necessary. The show has come and gone and isn't going to be on anyone's irish television. but just in case,
    I LOVED Jacaré's sub in his first fight, have to start doing that.

I think there were complaints after the last DREAM show that someone didn't use spoiler tags. It might take some people a day or two to download, and they may still want to talk about other MMA. The downside to having a single thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Spoilers suck IMO. But I am the type of person who does not care if I find out the result beforehand. I used to tell people the Soccer results before match of the day when I was younger just to piss them off. I dont really understand the whole surprise factor, especially if an event is 2-3 days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

By using spoilers when it won't be available on television here you are all tacitly supporting those who wish to illegally download the event.

For shame.

:pac::pac::pac:

DREAM got a 9.0 TV rating, worse than DREAM 5. They've said many times that the rating had to improve or they'd be finished, so it looks like the DREAM is over :pac:

My speculation about the Akiyama fight seems to have a bit of credibility, his fight drew the highest rating on the show. Maybe he should have dragged it out to a decision

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/arlovski-nelson-tapped-for-cbs-14524

Looks like Andrei Arlovski vs Roy Nelson is set to happen at EliteXC's CBS show on October 4th

That's a fight I'd love to see. I really like Nelson, I think that it would be a very interesting fight

I think Nelson is going to get picked apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Arlovski will win but I want to see him fight better opposition in fairness. A good win could setup a fight with Fedor next year. If that can't be done they should put him in with Barnett. I was really looking forward to that one before it was canned.

I am actually going to start watching this , this weekend . Going to have a weekend of MMA . Although i did readt the Crocop spoiler :(

Arlovski will win as long as it doesn't go to the ground. If it does then I really think that Nelson will have him

Sengoku 5 is on this Sunday morning (or possibly Monday, I'm always getting confused with Japanese time. Sunday in Japan anyway). Here's the line-up:

Middleweight Grand Prix 2008 1st Round:
    -Yuki Kondo vs. Yuki Sasaki
    -Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos vs. Siyar Bahadurzada
    -Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Paul Cahoon
    -Jorge Santiago vs. Logan Clark

Non-Tournament Bouts:
    -Jorge Masvidal vs. Ryan Schultz
    -Alexandre "Xande" Ribiero vs. Takashi Sugiura
    -Kiuma Kunioku vs. A Sol Kwon
    -Travis Wiuff vs. Muhammad “Mo” Lawal

Not the most talented card, but their last event was sort of the same and I loved it. There was some really skillful ground work and few decisions. I'm especially interested in seeing Sugiura, he's a pro wrestler who I think is great. He's got something like a 1-2 record in MMA, fighting once every two years

• Advertisement

I just read in the Wrestling Observer that the reason that it's Arlovski vs Nelson on EliteXC's show and not Arlovski vs Barnett is that Barnett had already agreed to a fight with Sengoku this weekend. I haven't heard of an opponent yet. Barnett always makes a show more interesting

Golden Boy actually wanted to put Arlovski vs Barnett on the undercard of the Pavlik vs Hopkins boxing event in October, but HBO (the PPV channel) turned that idea down. It would have been interesting to see how that played out, as the arena would be filled with practically all boxing fans. A Barnett catch wrestling masterpiece would not have gone down well :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement