Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    Is there any way to bulk export all my 02 contacts to a file that Cabbage can then import? I HATE the new O2 web interface, as bas and all as the first one was this one is horrid.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think the new one is pretty good :o

think you might need software for your phone to sync with, then save that as a csv file and import it in "phonebook>import" in cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

i'm trying to download cabbage on an orange uk motorola l6,my problem is that i cannot get capital letters when typing the url into the phone. Am i a moron and just missing the simple option for captials on the phone? i can get capitals no problem for sending messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

ronano wrote: »
    i'm trying to download cabbage on an orange uk motorola l6,my problem is that i cannot get capital letters when typing the url into the phone. Am i a moron and just missing the simple option for captials on the phone? i can get capitals no problem for sending messages.

Website addresses are case insensitive. This would be the reason you dont have the Caps option when entering the address I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

John_Mc wrote: »
    Website addresses are case insensitive. This would be the reason you dont have the Caps option when entering the address I think

no they're not :)

the domain part is but the rest isn't, on unix machines anyway

try to go to
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.4.jar
    then
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/cabbage_mobile_1.4.jar

one works and the other 404s

but anyway, i've set up a shorter url that redirects. you can now get the program from:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/dl

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Is there any way to bulk export all my 02 contacts to a file that Cabbage can then import? I HATE the new O2 web interface, as bas and all as the first one was this one is horrid.

Cheers,
    M

have a look around the o2 site for a way to export your contacts to a csv file.

or maybe copy and paste your contacts into excel and save them in the format:

name,number
    name,number

then use the cabbage importer

• Advertisement

actually ronano, i've never tested cabbage on a motorola and afair i couldn't get AFT to work on a motorola before so it might not work

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Hi Sam, The desktop application has stopped working for me, it keeps asking me to -5 Restart the program to fix the problem and when i do, it still don't work :(

timmy69 wrote: »
    Hi Sam, The desktop application has stopped working for me, it keeps asking me to -5 Restart the program to fix the problem and when i do, it still don't work :(

what network are you on?

when did this start?

what version are you running?

and if you click more->other, is there a tick next to "send messages via intermediate server"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Dem Swedes must be getting no work out of you these days with all the support you are giving on boards ;)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Dem Swedes must be getting no work out of you these days with all the support you are giving on boards ;)

na i'm just that efficient :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks a lot Sam. Truly admirable and wonderful job!!! Working......

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Hi Sam. I have tried donwloading your application. However when it reaches 100% it says there is an error and something is 'illegal java action' (not sure if those are the exact words, but to that effect). I have been running AFT from Dal. My phone meets the requirements for your app so I have no idea why this is happening! Have you got any ideas? Cheers!

Hi Sam. I have tried donwloading your application. However when it reaches 100% it says there is an error and something is 'illegal java action' (not sure if those are the exact words, but to that effect). I have been running AFT from Dal. My phone meets the requirements for your app so I have no idea why this is happening! Have you got any ideas? Cheers!

what type of phone is it?

what link are you entering on the phone?

do you have an old version installed?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what type of phone is it?

what link are you entering on the phone?

do you have an old version installed?

It is a Samsung D840.
    I am entering the address listed on your site. Even if there was a problem I clicked on the link to the mobile download. I have no previous versions installed.

i'm afraid i know very little about samsug phones.

could you try downloading the cinema guide app from this page and tell me if it works:

http://damohere.freehostia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I had a Samsung D600 a about year ago and I couldn't install any java apps on it. They had it locked down basically. Might different with newer Samsung phones though?

I downloaded Dal's AFT java app onto my Samsung.

Sam - I tried downloading that using the links under v0.25 Beta
    One gave no response and the other said download failed. The download didnt even start. When I try to download cabbage it goes to 100% but then gives the problem as I described before.

I downloaded Dal's AFT java app onto my Samsung.

Sam - I tried downloading that using the links under v0.25 Beta
    One gave no response and the other said download failed. The download didnt even start. When I try to download cabbage it goes to 100% but then gives the problem as I described before.

but if you download AFT does it work ok? AFT's back working now so if it does work on your phone it'll probably be easier all round to keep using it. but i'll look into the problem anyway

i'm going to be releasing a new version of the desktop app in the next few days. i've decided to take out the client side sending functionality for the following reasons:
    1. it was a nightmare to keep working
    2. no one seems to be using it
    3. the various websites hosting the scripts are reliable enough to not really need it
    4. it's slower than the web based scripts

i originally put the functionality in in case the websites got blocked or went down and for people who don't want their login details going via the server but as i said the websites are very reliable and no one seems to mind the details going via the server. there's also the hassle of having to download a new version when the network websites change, a problem that doesn't exist with the server

and of course anyone who does mind is welcome to a copy of the scripts and instructions about how to set them up on their own server

i'll give it a few days and if there are any objections i'll put the functionality back in or people can keep using the old versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Stanley Faithful Gurney

I had a Samsung D600 a about year ago and I couldn't install any java apps on it. They had it locked down basically. Might different with newer Samsung phones though?

You can unlock that. I had a Samsung D500. Google unlocking the fun box or something along thoes lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

what network are you on?

when did this start?

what version are you running?

and if you click more->other, is there a tick next to "send messages via intermediate server"?

The tick wasn't there, ticked it and it worked! Thanks a lot and great work man!

timmy69 wrote: »
    The tick wasn't there, ticked it and it worked! Thanks a lot and great work man!

and that's another reason i'm getting rid of that option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

and that's another reason i'm getting rid of that option :)
    You're getting rid of the client side code in favour of just keeping the server side API ?

Random wrote: »
    You're getting rid of the client side code in favour of just keeping the server side API ?

yes i am, for the reasons detailed above. do you think i shouldn't?

yes i am, for the reasons detailed above. do you think i shouldn't?
    I just think you're bloody lazy! It's not like you have anything better to do with your free time! Please the people ;)

I guess it's nice to have the option of the client side but ultimately if the server side is easier to maintain then go for it :)

I just think you're bloody lazy! It's not like you have anything better to do with your free time! Please the people ;)

I guess it's nice to have the option of the client side but ultimately if the server side is easier to maintain then go for it :)

you do have the option of client side. take a look here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/cabbagedesktopdownload.php

under older versions ;)

you do have the option of client side. take a look here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/cabbagedesktopdownload.php

under older versions ;)
    Banned forever! ;)

Banned forever! ;)

oh noooooooes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

hiya, great app, fair play to ya for putting so much time into it. One thing i was thinking could be implemented into the desktop and mobile versions is that when your mesage is sent and its broken into two or three messages that it could identify which part is which at the start of the message eg.[Prt1/2] at the start of the message. This already happens in jsms so i guess it shouldn't be to hard to update.

• Advertisement

that's a good idea. I'll make it an option in case not everyone wants it because it reduces the number of characters you can type in a message

Advertisement