Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patricks Day Parade

Options
  • 26-02-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

The City Council are looking for peoples opinions on whether they would like to see the parade moved from Patricks day to Sunday the 15th to facilitate people who want to go to Dublin to see De La Salle play in the All Ireland club final.
    Personally I would'nt like to see the parade moved as it would turn the city into a ghost town for the day , while I can see where people would also like to see the match maybe if they could put up a big screen in Red Square it would be a good compromise .
    I was wondering what peoples opinions would be and maybe if we could set up a poll to get some kind of an idea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

What match?

there's my answer!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

move it to the summer so that it's not freezing and wet. better still, combine it with the Spraoi parade so we can have scary masked drummers and oil delivery trucks all at the same time :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It seems a touch unfair to me,

I won't be going to the parade or watching the match but I would not be happy TBH, being a non GAA man if I had kids and having nothing todo with them on paddys day due to a match.

I'm delighted for waterford and suporters od Delle la salle but but I dont think a club match should effect the rest of the city IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If people want to go to a match leave them go to a match but lets not cancel or move a parade to suit people that are into sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

How on earth can De La Salle be playing hurling in Dublin at the same time as they're walking in the parade along the quay???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Leave the parade as is, get the GAA to move the match. Why on earth are they playing the match on St. Patrick Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That's the day this is traditionally played on. Nothing wrong with playing it on that day. Nothing wrong with having the parade the same day either. Let's face it, people who go to the match won't be missing out on much by not seeing the parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

We still have a parade :confused:.........oh the vans and random people walking. Now I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I would say that most people in Waterford city have no real interest in hurling. Lots of people do, but most don't. I know that tens of thousands show up to championship games from around the county (myself included), but St. Patrick's day is for everyone, not just people interested in the sport du jour.

I think suggesting moving paddy's day shows a total ignorance on behalf of the council for people who have no interest in sport, let alone hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

the parade is still going to be rubbish regardless of what day it's on

• Advertisement

Jayeire wrote: »
    the parade is still going to be rubbish regardless of what day it's on

That's that miserable, god-forsaken Waterford attitude again that makes me want to emigrate.

He's right though. I wouldn't limit it to just Waterford though. Some marching bands. Some scouts. Some tractors. Some business advertising. And maybe Sproai may put on something interesting in Waterford. Most of the country isn't really big enough to put on more than a rather parochial looking effort. I suppose it just comes with being a small country with a smaller population.

Kahless wrote: »
    He's right though. I wouldn't limit it to just Waterford though. Some marching bands. Some scouts. Some tractors. Some business advertising. And maybe Sproai may put on something interesting in Waterford. Most of the country isn't really big enough to put on more than a rather parochial looking effort. I suppose it just comes with being a small country with a smaller population.

If this was any other country people would get involved and try to make things better. I don't think throwing cash at it is going to make it any better if there's a lack of imagination. It's a pretty bad state of affairs if a community can't come together and do something that would give them some entertainment. It looks like we're pointing the finger at ourselves and saying "we're ****". Can't rely on sproai for everything, and the parade would be awfully short without the scouts as things stand...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

can't believe anybody would even consider changing paddys day parade......

if it is that important the match, have them change that to a different day...

Didn't the church suggest changing it to the closest Sunday a year or two ago? Or maybe that was just a rumour. Either way, I didn't hear anyone agree with it.

Anyone know about road closures? I checked the council website, where I'm sure they had them listed in previous years, but they just say to check the papers. Is The Glen closed? I think they use it as a staging area, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Kahless wrote: »
    Anyone know about road closures? I checked the council website, where I'm sure they had them listed in previous years, but they just say to check the papers. Is The Glen closed? I think they use it as a staging area, don't they?

see http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/Traffic_Management_Plan.jpg

Thanks. There's more roads closed than I thought. I won't be parking where I thought I would be for work.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A few pictures from todays parade
    IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

same old rubbish as every year then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

anplaya wrote: »

nice to see the typical "everything is crap" view continues
    :rolleyes:

You don't deserve anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nice pics.

Feck the negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

My kids enjoyed it,the weather was fantastic,everyone around me seemed to be in good spirits and there was a great atmosphere around town.

This doesn't constitute rubbish in my opinion and it's a nice shot in the arm for local morale considering recent events.

If you've something constructive to say,I'd love to hear it but i'm guessing you've already crawled back into your hole by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's amazing how much a bit of sunshine can change the atmosphere around the city. It does make the day so much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A few pictures from todays parade

IMG_1541.jpg

You may or may not believe it, but that's my car, and me driving, I'd great fun dressing up as the Stig yesterday! :D

My kids enjoyed it,the weather was fantastic,everyone around me seemed to be in good spirits and there was a great atmosphere around town.

This doesn't constitute rubbish in my opinion and it's a nice shot in the arm for local morale considering recent events.

If you've something constructive to say,I'd love to hear it but i'm guessing you've already crawled back into your hole by now.

its the same thing year in year out at the st patricks day parade in wford,only thing good was the weather ,people see things in a different light when its not pissing down ,doubt ya wudda have enjoyed it that much then. every1s entitled to their own opinion eh,we are livin in a democracy after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I enjoyed the parade and the weather was great,
    well done to everyone involved.
    The only downside for me was massive gap between some of the entries.

its the same thing year in year out at the st patricks day parade in wford,only thing good was the weather ,people see things in a different light when its not pissing down ,doubt ya wudda have enjoyed it that much then. every1s entitled to their own opinion eh,we are livin in a democracy after all.

What are you doing to improve the parade as a matter of interest? What groups are you involved in, or do you just show up to complain and contribute nothing?

• Advertisement

ok,put it this way,as i said every1s entitled to their own opinion.am part of groups(fball/rugby)but they dont take part in parades. didnt have to travel to go to the parade,just looked out of my window,it wasnt anything special,the reason why it seemed better was it was nice and sunny for once compared to oh i dont know the previous ten years?

Advertisement