Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ couple do a runner with $10m that was mistakingly lodged into their acc.

Options
  • 21-05-2009 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Police are looking for a New Zealand couple who did a bunk with 10m (€4.38m) that was mistakingly lodged into their account.

The couple, who ran a petrol station in the northern city of Rotorua, applied to Westpac Bank for a NZ$9,964 (€4,367) overdraft and had 1,000 times that amount paid into their account. Surely they can block this account?

Fair play to them :)

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/15713716/?view=Standard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

God New Zealand money is really worth nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

they should have immediately booked flights to a country they cant be extradited from

theyre idiots if theyre still hiding in new zealand

id say someone in the bank would have got a right bollicking for that fcuk up

its nnot like he can pay it back out of his wages :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10573570 for a decent story on it.

And no they're not still in NZ, they're in China apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Yeah whoever punched in the wrong amount must be in alot of trouble.

We stopped for petrol in that station they own when we were driving around NZ in our 'Jucy' camper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would take much less than NZ$10m for me to be using as an excuse to leave Rotorua.

Nice place to visit, but it stinks and I'd not want to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Ah you got used to the smell after a while, the actual town itself though.. no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Don't blame them for running. Besides the cash, Rotorua is hell on earth. Place stinks of sulpher, there's nothing to do and they even charge you $10 at the airport before they'll let you leave to "pay for a runway we're building"! The place makes Ireland look like a country that knows what it's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

phasers wrote: »
    God New Zealand money is really worth nothing...

I know :(

Its been all over the news all day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

delllat wrote: »
    they should have immediately booked flights to a country they cant be extradited from

I'd be fairly surprised if any country would grant an extradition order for taking advantage of a bank error. Does anyone know what crime they have technically committed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    ...and they even charge you $10 at the airport before they'll let you leave to "pay for a runway we're building"!
    They do that at all NZ airports, I think I got charged NZ$25 at Christchurch.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

I didn't get it at Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It would be such a dose having to give it back.

At first you would be like ,'God, I should call the bank and tell them.'

Ten minutes later it would be 'I deserve this. Look at all the money the bankers cost us. I earned this money and I'll die before they take it off me.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

heres a list of countries that dont allow extradition:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China (People's Republic of China), Union of the Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d' Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia and Montenegro, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Samoa, Yemen, and Zimbabwe.

javaboy wrote: »
    I'd be fairly surprised if any country would grant an extradition order for taking advantage of a bank error. Does anyone know what crime they have technically committed?

Taking money that is not belonging to them, which is highly significant in Law, basically they have no legal claim on the money.

delllat wrote: »
    heres a list of countries that dont allow extradition:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China (People's Republic of China), Union of the Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d' Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia and Montenegro, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Samoa, Yemen, and Zimbabwe.

/a checks 365online just in case....

All the dodgy ones....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Excellent .....they think we're New Zealanders.

Its been gone for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Some form of theft?
    NZHERALD wrote:
    Banking Ombudsman Liz Brown told the Daily Postthat generally speaking it was a criminal offence for someone to spend money accidentally put into their bank account if they knew the money wasn't theirs.
    In her 15 years as banking ombudsman she had been involved in 10 to 20 cases of this nature. They were legally referred to as "payment by mistake".

Rabies wrote: »

They were still charging it in September '08 for me, the b'stards.

• Advertisement

ha ha.
    Last time I flew home was May '08 from Auckland and it was gone.

I'll bump this thread on the 27th of July when I fly home again for a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

They robbed a bank and got away with 6 million (around €2.5m)?

Are people that immoral, that the only reason they don't steal more often is because it is hard? An overdraft is the ability to borrow more than they have. The bank accidentally let them borrow 1,000 more than the bank was comfortable with. Regardless of how much they borrowed, they have to pay it back - on demand, and the fact that they have legged it is pretty much a clear indicator that they have no intention of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what?! when?!

Rabies wrote: »

i know it was gone in auckland... and by 'gone', read 'added to taxes you pay for with the ticket'.

in chch, it was still in operation at the end of december (26th, i think it was) last time i left the bloody country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

dotsman wrote: »
    They robbed a bank and got away with 6 million (around €2.5m)?

No they didn't.
    Are people that immoral, that the only reason they don't steal more often is because it is hard?

I'd return the money myself but I was asking what actual law they had technically broken.
    An overdraft is the ability to borrow more than they have. The bank accidentally let them borrow 1,000 more than the bank was comfortable with. Regardless of how much they borrowed, they have to pay it back - on demand, and the fact that they have legged it is pretty much a clear indicator that they have no intention of doing so.

See that's where it gets a bit blurry. Normally an overdraft lets you run your current account into debt by a certain amount. The bank doesn't actually put the overdraft amount in your a/c. That would be a loan which is slightly different.

It could be argued that the only money they are obliged to pay back in terms of the overdraft is to the amount that was originally agreed i.e. 9,964. The rest of the money falls outside the overdraft agreement so why would they have to pay it back on the same terms as the agreed smaller sum?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You know what they say:

If you owe a bank a grand, its your problem.

If you owe a bank $10m, its the banks problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I didn't get it at Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington.

I got it at auckland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

How can they get money from their accounts?

Personally I'd like to see the bank ask for it all back, but in cash only :)

tallus wrote: »
    I got it at auckland

I got it too, but are we talking about the same thing :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Fair play to them!

Advertisement