Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debaptism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It'd be cool to have a mass-debaptismal ceremony for everyone on AH, imagine how freaked out the church would be about that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

If you don't believe in it then why do you believe you need to get debaptised. it's just all airy fairy stuff that means nothing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The only people whose "business i get in" are religious people on the net who go on about their beliefs. I get in the business of people getting in other people's business
    Why don't you extend it to real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

wudangclan wrote: »
    mornin' ah'ers.
    is it possible to be depabtised from the catholic church in this country?
    is there a procedure one can follow?
    normally i would be indifferent,having abandoned the church years ago,but this weeks events left me thinking i would no longer like to be an official member of such an organisation.
    i searched google and it's possible to do in england and france as far as i can ascertain so i was just wodering if anyone has any experience in this matter.

You can apply to the archdiocese for a formal defection

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If you don't believe in it then why do you believe you need to get debaptised. it's just all airy fairy stuff that means nothing! :D

I think it's about distancing yourself from the Catholic Industry, and acknowledging that the Vatican has no say over how your life should be led. To me at least, that would be the main reason I'd do it.

When the Pope said not to use condoms afew months back, it was meant as an order really. They're extremely literal when they talk about whats acceptable in the eyes of the Church

Even if you don't take the Vatican etc seriously, it's good to acknowledge disbelief/disagreement in an open way, so that others feel free to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Just wear a large badge, then no body will ever suggest or accuse you of being a baptised catholic again.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

InFront wrote: »
    Why don't you extend it to real life?

Because, as you say, people don't want to hear it. I find that if I tell people who believe in god that I don't they get a bit angry or think I'm a bad person. It's like telling them you rape kids.

Luckily it doesn't come up in conversation much because most of the people in my life don't believe either and for the ones who do it's not a big thing in their lives, they're christmas and easter catholics
    . The only time I'd bring it up in real life is if someone started to piss me off by banging on about it the whole time

I was on a safari a few weeks ago and there was a pastor in the jeep with us for most of it who never even knew my shameful little secret. He thought I was a good little Irish catholic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Discover your faith or reject it but jasus your making some statement by wanting to declare to the world that your rejecting it... Pure daftness!

dont use the lords name in vein joey lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Is there a point in all this? He's not going to start reading the bible if he has no particular faith. Quotes from sriptures is not going to have any effect.

As for your assumptions:
    Where did he cite church abuse as a reason? Why did you bring it up?
    How do you know he has no hobbies?

Why would he want to wrear a mask?

Read it again and maybe you will read it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Read it again and maybe you will read it right!

Forgive me for not reading page 2, 3, and 4 where maybe this has already been dealt with but.......

What don't you get you sanctimonious .....?

He doesn't believe, he hasn't for donkeys years, he knows if there was a God that the mere thought, "I reject the holy spirit gets him kicked", he knows if he doesn't believe it, his baptism or membership doesn't matter a sh!te.

He wants to officially leave to make a statement. That he is most definately not a member of such a horrible organisation and that he will be not counted as a member even if he is non practicing when the church put their hand out for cash from the taxpayer or demand X level of representation because of the number of members.

All Atheists and Agnostics should do this! And there is a hell of a lot more of us than you would think going on the Church membership roll and census.

Ever hear of the Census Mammy syndrome? The irony in my particular case was that I had to warn my mother to put me down as an atheist in the last census. My brothers didn't warn her despite being atheists too and she put them down as Catholic. The ultimate irony?? She's bloody Atheist too!!! I could not get it through to her that the census wants to know what you believe, not what you were baptised as.

Holy Joey the Lips!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

True, but personally I would want to do it, purely so the church cannot "claim" me as one of them. I'm sure that if everybody who no longer considered themselves Catholic was to do the same, the membership figure for the church would be way down!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

You would seriously want to read then, If you understand the proverb the prodical son your rejection and delisting from the members list has been noted! i see your need to declare it to us as a form of adhd, Seriously why? If you understood anything about the faith you were signed into you have already been accepted as an opt out!

I additionally suspect like many teens you questioned your faith! quite normal but at 33 you were a teenager 15 - 20 years ago! this was not discussed then so your arguement is flawed!

Read the first post. He isn't rejecting the Catholic Church because of the abuse. He rejected it long before he knew about the abuse. This is just the final straw that makes him want to be debaptised. More likely it has a lot more to do with the fact that throughout its existance, the Catholic Church has always existed to use Christianity as a means to gain power and money; thats it purpose and thats what almost every pope has done. You can't keep saying oh well, just because the Catholic Church has one one or two bad eggs, doesn't mean the whole thing is a wrong. There are two many incidences throughout history of brainwashing, members being power-obsessed, opression, violence, support of evil people, etc. until eventually you reach a conclusion that this is an evil organisation whose purpose has nothing to do with any of its stated aims. The Catholic Church is one of the greatest conspiracies of all time, too bad people can't see how rubbish they are at covering up things.

I do find the idea of debaptism pointless however unless you are converting to another religion, and even then, meh. I don't think there is a list of members compiled anywhere, anyhow. If you are an atheist then you probably won't give a f*ck.

Calibos wrote: »
    Forgive me for not reading page 2, 3, and 4 where maybe this has already been dealt with but.......

What don't you get you sanctimonious .....?

He doesn't believe, he hasn't for donkeys years, he knows if there was a God that the mere thought, "I reject the holy spirit gets him kicked", he knows if he doesn't believe it, his baptism or membership doesn't matter a sh!te.

He wants to officially leave to make a statement. That he is most definately not a member of such a horrible organisation and that he will be not counted as a member even if he is non practicing when the church put their hand out for cash from the taxpayer or demand X level of representation because of the number of members.

All Atheists and Agnostics should do this! And there is a hell of a lot more of us than you would think going on the Church membership roll and census.

Ever hear of the Census Mammy syndrome? The irony in my particular case was that I had to warn my mother to put me down as an atheist in the last census. My brothers didn't warn her despite being atheists too and she put them down as Catholic. The ultimate irony?? She's bloody Atheist too!!! I could not get it through to her that the census wants to know what you believe, not what you were baptised as.

Holy Joey the Lips!! :D

Hears another one! I am going to make it simple, who would debaptise him????? Would it be a priest, a catholic priest? How could he! its not delt with! its not possible! would it be a jewish priest would it be a prod or a muslim someone of the non faith!

If you dont want to be a catholic why are you declaring it to god, you dont believe in him after all.

It plain daft! but i tell you what I am hireing out bray head once a month and for a small fee of 200 euro I will debaptise you and all who want it!

Bring your ma!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It plain daft! but i tell you what I am hireing out bray head once a month and for a small fee of 200 euro I will debaptise you and all who want it!

Bring your ma!

Bollocks, i was offering my services for €500, now i'll have to drop to €175.:D

No, I'll make it simple Joey. He doesn't want to be 'debaptised'. He wants off their baptisimal list....list.....list.

wudangclan wrote: »
    mornin' ah'ers.
    is it possible to be depabtised from the catholic church in this country?
    is there a procedure one can follow?
    normally i would be indifferent,having abandoned the church years ago,but this weeks events left me thinking i would no longer like to be an official member of such an organisation.
    i searched google and it's possible to do in england and france as far as i can ascertain so i was just wodering if anyone has any experience in this matter.
    No, I'll make it simple Joey. He doesn't want to be 'debaptised'. He wants off their baptisimal list....list.....list.

I hope your joking!:D

Thats the problem with religious types right there. Not using the head. :D Whats more likely Joey. That an atheist wants a priest to say the magic words so that he can be debaptised and leave the church. Or that he meant, and what most of us took it to mean, that he wanted to be delisted from the church rolls.

Good Grief! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont understand these types of things.

I was baptised but stopped going to church ages ago. Not a religious person whatsoever but I dont care if people are. Religions have spent plenty of years forcing people to believe, I dont see why anyone should be forced not to believe - to each their own.

I have a rosery beads wrapped around the rear view mirror of my car. I didn't put them there but they dont bother me so I dont take them down.

If you dont believe, why the fuss?

Thats the problem with religious types right there. Not using the head. :D Whats more likely Joey. That an atheist wants a priest to say the magic words so that he can be debaptised and leave the church. Or that he meant, and what most of us took it to mean, that he wanted to be delisted from the church rolls.

Good Grief! :D:D

Surly that makes it worse! What list???? There is no list! bar the begging list! and the vincent de paul have one of those as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Surly that makes it worse! What list???? There is no list! bar the begging list! and the vincent de paul have one of those as well!

Wow. It's people like you that make me want to get as far away from the church as possible. Reading your posts is like trying to deciper a different language... and you plain just don't make any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just burn a church to the ground.

They'll have to tell you to piss off then. Nothing can go wrong with this plan

peepeep wrote: »
    Wow. It's people like you that make me want to get as far away from the church as possible. Reading your posts is like trying to deciper a different language... and you plain just don't make any sense.

Thank you another daft one that does not understand faith! Keep them coming! after all you need to blame someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Because, as you say, people don't want to hear it. I find that if I tell people who believe in god that I don't they get a bit angry or think I'm a bad person. It's like telling them you rape kids.

How? I speak to many atheists on a daily basis about this topic and they are able to keep a respectful tone. One comes onto boards and one gets rabid anti-theist nonsense. What's the difference between boards and the real world?
    Luckily it doesn't come up in conversation much because most of the people in my life don't believe either and for the ones who do it's not a big thing in their lives, they're christmas and easter catholics
    . The only time I'd bring it up in real life is if someone started to piss me off by banging on about it the whole time

It comes up for me a good bit. I wouldn't generally raise it, but people know that I am a Christian and have come and asked me questions several times in the past. I do think however that evangelism is more important and people need to find more subtle and respectful ways to reach out on the Christian side.

And?

It doesn't make a statement at all. Little or nothing. I personally have come to the view that it is better to encourage adult baptism rather than infant baptism. Then only people who take Christianity seriously will be baptised.

I'm quite aware, it won't destroy Christianity however. It might seriously impair Catholicism but it won't destroy Catholicism, and it probably won't affect Reformed congregations and Eastern Orthodoxy very much.

I actually hope people become more honest, because then the Christians can fully know what they are dealing with and plan for evangelism and church planting in the future.

RLY? It means a lot to about 33% of the worlds population and it's meaning more and more to people each day (15,600 people approximately accept Christianity in the world per day).

There is no such thing as debaptism. I thought this was rather clear?
    I dont understand these types of things.

Believe me, I don't either :)
    I was baptised but stopped going to church ages ago. Not a religious person whatsoever but I dont care if people are. Religions have spent plenty of years forcing people to believe, I dont see why anyone should be forced not to believe - to each their own.

Indeed, and anti-theists will do the same.

I have a rosery beads wrapped around the rear view mirror of my car. I didn't put them there but they dont bother me so I dont take them down.

Hm, that's a bit odd. Why don't you take them down and put something up there more relevant to your life?
    If you dont believe, why the fuss?

Because I'm deluding myself apparently. Even though I could just as easily argue that atheism, agnosticism and anti-theism is a delusion. I choose not to argue this as it is futile. Anti-theists use it to think of themselves as superior to theists, they are more intelligent (not really), they are rational (ignoring the fact that reason without empiricism is nothing), they are scientific (science doesn't confirm or deny any religion). You can see that I think that it is a load of nonsense, and that people should have freedom of religion to the fullest extent. Some people don't think we should have that right without being harrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Don't mind the ignorant answers here by the myopic imbeciles who have nothing better to do than judge others on their motives.

I'm currently about to do it myself, all the answers you need are over in the A&A forum. :)

Gonna frame my certificate as well! :D

Good luck sir.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    The catholic church are over-represented in this country by virture that their membership are enlisted before they even have a say in the matter.

The offical percentage of catholics in the Republic of Ireland is over 85%. I wonder what that figure would be if individuals were allowed to make the informed decision as an adult instead of being more or less forced into joining soon after birth.

How many people here would go thru newly designed ritual in your 20s say in order to officially become a member of the catholic church? 85%?

Don't worry, there are A LOT more Atheists than that in Ireland. Trust me.

I'm going to say only about 3 people I know fully believe the whole "Catholic" thing. All over the age of 65.

Give it a few years and it'll be a much smaller percentage (on paper).

A great way to test this is to ask people who think they believe it why they believe in talking snakes, zombies, magical trees, telepathic communication with someone they've never seen, symbolically drinking blood and eating flesh, etc.

And according to this online poll the majority of voters ARE Atheist anyway.

http://yesnogod.com/

So don't sweat it, we are in the majority in the developed countries including Ireland [2/3].

Have a great day! :D

SirDarren wrote: »
    Don't mind the ignorant answers here by the myopic imbeciles who have nothing better to do than judge others on their motives.

I'm currently about to do it myself, all the answers you need are over in the A&A forum. :)

Gonna frame my certificate as well! :D

Good luck sir.

Good lad! the only iggnorant people yourself included is those that feel the need they have debaptised! If you debaptise you clearly dont believe in god! Do you think its going to make a difference!

Like I say for 200 euro I will happily perform a delisting for you, guess what i will do a special and throw in the frame for you!

Its not like you have been raped and you need to clean yourself!
    its only giving up faith for gods sake

Just chill and understand that guess what "Noone give a dam!"

Good lad! the only iggnorant people yourself included is those that feel the need they have debaptised! If you debaptise you clearly dont believe in god! Do you think its going to make a difference!

Like I say for 200 euro I will happily perform a delisting for you, guess what i will do a special and throw in the frame for you!

Its not like you have been raped and you need to clean yourself!
    its only giving up faith for gods sake

Just chill and understand that guess what "Noone give a dam!"

Exactly as I said, judging others on their motives.

And yes indeed, it will make a great difference to me and many others.

And not like I've "been raped and need to clean myself"?

Indeed it is not, but I now immediately think of the people that that has happened to because of your religious organisation, so I - and many others - don't want to associate ourselves with something like this or be "members" of it.

"Noone give a dam!"?

I give a damn, as do other people that are doing this.

Why the hell would we be out to impress people like you and make you "give a dam"?

It's nothing to do with you, so don't assume that we wish for you in any way to "give a dam".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jakkass wrote: »
    How? I speak to many atheists on a daily basis about this topic and they are able to keep a respectful tone. One comes onto boards and one gets rabid anti-theist nonsense. What's the difference between boards and the real world?
    I don't even get as far as having any tone. As soon as they find out you get an "oh" as if you've just said you **** yourself. God forbid you start to point out holes they can't explain, they'd probably stab you

The difference on boards, as I said is that I'm responding to rabid theist nonsense. I don't get any such nonsense in real life so I leave people to it
    Jakkass wrote: »
    I do think however that evangelism is more important and people need to find more subtle and respectful ways to reach out on the Christian side.

I'd really like an answer to this. You think it's important to evangelise because you really believe and you everyone to be saved. But I truly believe in what I say too and I gave you a list of reasons why I think people's lives would be better if they didn't believe, so why do you criticise me when my motives are pretty much the same as yours?

As I said on the first page, the difference, if it was done on a large scale, would be that the clout that the vatican and the church in general has would diminish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't even get as far as having any tone. As soon as they find out you get an "oh" as if you've just said you **** yourself. God forbid you start to point out holes they can't explain, they'd probably stab you

I think that's a bit of a strange response to people who are different to you. I see atheism as rather normal. It reminds me when one of my friends brought another friend of his that I didn't know over to me, and says "Meet x, he's an atheist", and then to his other friend he says "This is Gar, he's a Christian". Like I was meant to be shocked by the existence of atheists in the world, or indeed like I had never seen any before :). I then shook his hand and greeted him and started discussing about other things as he said that he wasn't interested. People work in funny ways sometimes.
    I'd really like an answer to this. You think it's important to evangelise because you really believe and you everyone to be saved. But I truly believe in what I say too and I gave you a list of reasons why I think people's lives would be better if they didn't believe, so why do you criticise me when my motives are pretty much the same as yours?

On the internet, no I think evangelism isn't effective via the internet. I far prefer relating to people I can actually see and know what they are like rather than talking with people who don't have a clue about who I am, and me talking to people I don't have a clue who they are. It isn't my expectation of motive to bring people to God on boards but rather so that they might be challenged to think about it, and that I might be challenged to refine some of my positions which I have done in the past if they are indeed reasonable. Most of what evangelism is to me isn't dazzling arguments, or amazing rhethoric, but rather it is relating to people how we feel that God through Jesus Christ related to us in our lives in a personal way. I don't think most objections to Christianity are intellectual, but are rather more emotionally driven than people make them out to be.
    As I said on the first page, the difference, if it was done on a large scale, would be that the clout that the vatican and the church in general has would diminish

By the church in general are you referring to global Christianity, or the global Catholic Church?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I am guessing your 16 right! let me get this straight! You want to profess before god and the world that your ditching him! Thank god this is after hours because its the daftest sh1t I ever heard! Get real if you dont want to practice religion dont practice it! Why do you feel the need to clean yourself.

Why is it that you like so many others blame your lack of faith on the events of the church at the moment! The church is guidence if you dont agree with it discover your own way but dont condem a faith because of the deeds of the baxtards in it.

I give you a good one! are you thinking of emergrating! because the church while guilty, no doubt in my mind was aided by the state who sat back even though protests came through in the 60's. See media dont discuss that! why cause its not interesting! But the state sat back and allowed it. Thats why I have no problem with the state paying 10 billion

We as a state are as guilty as the goverment

Discover your faith or reject it but jasus your making some statement by wanting to declare to the world that your rejecting it... Pure daftness!

Was there any need for that? OP wants to officially get out of an organization he doesn't believe in and has no time for. What's wrong with that? Just because you may be a practicing catholic doesn't mean OP's beliefs or wants are wrong. Time for you to get down off your high horse mate, just like the rest of the practicing catholics like you. Sheep blinded by lies imo. OP, if you find out how to do it, I'd like to know too. :)

Advertisement