Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whats the new Electro?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

I'm not looking to get flamed here lads but I'm putting money on Glitch...but looking forward to hearing responses.

Minimal is getting a lot of airtime at present as well, but the mainstream audience doesn't really accept minimal, coz its too....minimal I suppose.

Basically Electro was the big sound of the last few years (No I'm not saying its dead) so what style of music is going to be getting the stock aiken and waterman treatment next (Yes I'm showing my age with that comment)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

hasnt glitch had its day already.
    i reckon its fidget house.which is basically what electrohouse has turned into

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I thought it was Minimal? Or are we past that already?
    I heard it was Dubstep but I could not listen to that for more than a few minutes.

Someone should put up a website where at any time you can go and get live updates on what today's new cool music fad is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Global Bass:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

how i normally judge these types of things is :

go to beatport overall top 100, check which genres are most heavily represented and which ones aren't. Also take into account the number of releases in that genre.

Most of the time you'll come to the conclusion that:

Prog house is not popular at all compared to what it used to be.
    Techno and Tech-house are very very popular (more now than ever).
    Electrohouse is slowly fading (well quickly fading depending on the timeframe you're looking at).
    Minimal is still doing well.

Apparently hardcore breaks is really good too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Agreed JT. Beatport etc do not fall over themselves to put in new catagories for new fads like fidget house or glitch. Good thing really.

Tech House was popular over 10 years ago when I first started geting into dance music. It was great then and still is today - and has remained pretty solid most of the way in between. I'm more of a newcommer to Techno but I'd put it on the same sort of lines. I'm sure neither will fall out of popularity any time soon.

The thing I find these days is that the lines are very blurred between Techno, Tech House and Minimal. I was only on beatport last night listening to some of the charts, and really there was so little difference in so much of the music most of it could probably be classified as any one of the three genre's.

I hate arguing over specific genre's anyway, totally pointless. It also amuses me how come people are simply slaves to only liking what they think is "Cool" - which is reality they are simply following what they think everyone else considers to be "Cool". IMO people are more likely to respect you if you form your own opinions well.

yeah i'm gonna actually say techno as the answer to the OP's question.

And by techno I mean techno, tech-house, and minimal as Zascar quite rightly pointed out they are pretty much the same thing at this stage.

You'll find the many of the same labels and producers in all three categories.

Scouse House.

BASSLINE, put a donk on it
    ELECTRO, put a donk on it
    TECHNO, put a donk on it

The day they start putting DONK's in good techno, is the day I hang up my headpones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Zascar wrote: »
    The day they start putting DONK's in good techno, is the day I hang up my headpones

I'm sure someone will see it as a niche.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

ITAL TEK, he's dubstep and pretty damn good.

as with any music, you'll get good and bad.
    some dubstep i can't stand, but there are alot of good artists out there too.

i'm still following alot of dnb too but its hard to keep up with all the new stuff!

I'm sure someone will see it as a niche.

yeah but probably ten years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Fidget house...as another poster already said, it is what electro house has turned into. Producers like Herve' / Switch are doing a nice job of it.

Also, electro punk (r.e. Bloody Beetroots, Congorock etc.) is starting to quietly but surely come out from the underground...look out for this style in the coming year!

wtf actually is fidget house? Anyone got some good youtube examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

wonk and calvertron.youll know it when you hear it your probably just gonna think its electrohouse

The most distinguishing features of fidget / glitch house are the absence of your usual DJ friendly solo drum intro and outro, usual electro saw waveform sounds, fast paced glitchy synths with quirky vocal n such, lots of pitch bends too.

Hope that helps...fidgety out yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

Awful awful name, what next, slightly palsied techno, facial tic trance :confused:

Hmm ok I think I get it now. I'm confused as to just call it "Bad Electro" or whether to give it more of a chance - does seem interesting in parts - I'd say if I was out at a big gig it would be fun to dance to with your mates etc - but i can't se myself buying any on beatport.

What well known DJ's are playing it mostly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Fidget is dance music for people who dont like dance music. I dont think this is a bad thing. Its not up its own hole at all. Knows what it is and does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the productions are alot of fun. Not exactly mind blowing or ground breaking but sure most people couldnt give a toss about that on a night out.

Hmm ok I think I get it now. I'm confused as to just call it "Bad Electro" or whether to give it more of a chance - does seem interesting in parts - I'd say if I was out at a big gig it would be fun to dance to with your mates etc - but i can't se myself buying any on beatport.

What well known DJ's are playing it mostly?

Herve, fake blood, switch, jesse rose (awesome dj), defunct are to name a few. Most of the Cheap Thrills label (run by herve) is fidget house nowadays.

By the by, fidget house IS a stupid name and was created as a joke apparently...but as usual, people took it seriously and voila', a new genre with a silly name was born. Ironic and funny me thinks...:D

• Advertisement

I'm tellin ya now, a lot of those kids into fidget house/electro house/whatever are gonna end up in 2 years time massive techno heads.

And we'll all be tellin them 'the new techno is rubbish, better back in the day (two years ago).
    Can't wait for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Woooly

I bought The Black Ghosts Mixtape last year and must say its quality. Think Touche is one of the two.

I have not heard a huge amount of old skool techno but a lot of it I really like (the stuff that is kinda simiar to todays). Must try to dig some out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

I'm not looking to get flamed here lads but I'm putting money on Glitch...but looking forward to hearing responses.

Minimal is getting a lot of airtime at present as well, but the mainstream audience doesn't really accept minimal, coz its too....minimal I suppose.

Basically Electro was the big sound of the last few years (No I'm not saying its dead) so what style of music is going to be getting the stock aiken and waterman treatment next (Yes I'm showing my age with that comment)
    One of the wost uniformed posts I've ever read on a dancemusic forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Crookers are what I'd call fidget, they're pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's gonna be the next big thing, just seems like a kind of vaguely different style that will be there as long as electro is popular, which doesn't look like ending anytime soon...and since when does the mainstream audience not like minimal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

next big bandwagonny trend for all you guys is going to be deep house i reckon

dubstep / uk funky / wonky / grime are all going to keep on bashng up against each other

a rake of old school jungle influenced dubstep tunes are going to make long sets combining dubstep, old hardcore, jungle techno, jungle to full on dnb possible

next big bandwagonny trend for all you guys is going to be deep house i reckon
    Really? What makes you think that?

To me it's just always kinda been there in the background with a smallish following and can be appropriately played with lots of other types. I love deep house for background / chilling music.

Is it really on the rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

from what i hear, yes - based on the odd blog i read here and there... a lot of ex minimal scenesters slowing things down a notch and adding warm chords... don't think it will all sound completely like it did back in the naked music hey-day but if i could whack a fiver on it at the bookies i would... the pendulum will swing back from that anything-goes indie student electro buzz and it will be all about smaller venues, more sophisticated crowds and deep house again - at least that's how the likes of mixmag will explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I can almost guarantee that the next big thing for the scenesters will be 21st Century Trance - think along the lines of Deadmau5's Calvin Harris remix; electro sensabilities with big hands in the air breakdowns.

I for one welcome our new balearic overlords... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

acman wrote: »

Whats the origin of that vox sample @ 1:06 - remember it from 1:16 in this tune as well but would love to know where the original sample is from

Advertisement