Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done RK not long till Clontarf now. I was hoping to run it as my comeback but it's not looking likely. How did you feel after the 10 miles? Are you planning on doing a longer run before the half or another 10 miler? You've made amazing progress over the last couple of months all that spare time now you've no more study worries. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Planning on doing 11 or 12 miles next weekend, then cutting back to 8 the weekend before the half. Actually felt pretty good after the 10, felt like I still had a bit left at the end of it - that surprised me.

6.2 miles/10km earlier today (9.54/mile pace). Felt a little tired and it took me a while to settle into the run. Glad I got through it though, because later on there were BB's muffins when I went to Dundrum with friends. :)

3 miles this evening, untimed. Left knee is acting up a little and my legs just felt drained today. Going to see a physio tomorrow to see what's going on with my knee, I really hope it's not serious.

Went to physio. Problems caused by the fact that if overpronation was an Olympic sport I'd be a potential medallist. Have to go back next week, and acquire a new pair of Kayanos ASAP.

My poor wallet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Problems caused by the fact that if overpronation was an Olympic sport I'd be a potential medallist.

Ha ha, classic description! Now if only it was a sport...

3 miles this evening as requested by physio. She'd put these inserts into my shoes, and they felt weird as hell. My legs felt like they got tired really quickly, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to the inserts.

Gonna go shoe shopping tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Went to physio. Problems caused by the fact that if overpronation was an Olympic sport I'd be a potential medallist.

I reckon Haile would have you beaten.;)

5 miles today, very easy (10.34/mile). Breaking in my new shoes and trying not to push it too much because I'm still a little worried about my knee. Meant to get out yesterday, but my sister decided to have a lot of friends over so I pretty much got stuck as babysitter. Did I ever mention how much I dislike 16 year olds?

It burns a little to know that I should have been doing my longest long run (11-12 miles) before the half today, but I need to take care of my knee really.

Now watching Dream Theater on the Download festival webcast, I think James LaBrie could do with being dragged out for some running!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Planning on doing 11 or 12 miles next weekend, then cutting back to 8 the weekend before the half. Actually felt pretty good after the 10, felt like I still had a bit left at the end of it - that surprised me.

im sure youll surprise yourself alot over the coming months. youve sure put alot of effort in, ive been catching up on your log. youre doing very well. pity about the injury. i had to look up overpronation(im learning the big words). hopefully it wont keep up, and ruin the half marathon.
    i looked up james labrie too, haha, youre gas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Hey RK, you looking forward to the half? I'm finally getting my head around it, and looking forward to the nice flat course :) Hope the knee doesn't hold you back!

I'm really looking forward to it actually - though with this knee-related mess my preparation isn't ideal. My longest run so far has been 10 miles, and I think that'll be my longest run before the race - not ideal, I'd have liked to have done 11-12, but I'm going to (hopefully, pending physio approval) do 8-10 this weekend. We shall see!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You might find your enforced rest helps you on the day. :)

5 miles (9.48/mile pace), no knee pain - at all! :D

Happy kirby is happy, apart from the fact her glutes are burning a bit from the core stability work prescribed by the physio.

Another 5 miles this evening (untimed because silly kirby left her watch at home, and forgot to set stopwatch on her iPod), still no knee pain *\o/*

Just realising over these last few runs that I should have changed my shoes about 50-70 miles before I did - I had ~370 miles on my old Kayano 14s and they were gone. The difference between the old pair and my new 15s is night and day. Unfortunately this also makes it obvious that because I'm an enormous overpronating fatass I go through shoes exceptionally quickly, so I think I'll grab another pair soon and rotate them with the ones I got at the weekend for DCM training. I'll probably need a third pair by the time October rolls around...

Procrastinated like hell about it, but finally did 4 miles this evening (10.04/mile pace). Felt a little bit tired, but it's my own fault because I went just after 9pm having not eaten since 3...

Last long run before the half today - 8 miles. (10.30/mile)

I took a gel because I wanted to make a decision on what kind I'm going to use for the half - I have a partial answer now. I will NOT be using SIS gels... took a blackcurrant one today. EWWWWWWWWWW. One of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. The Gu lemon one I brought a couple of weeks ago was less gross, and I thought *that* tasted like lemon flavoured KY jelly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ha ha RK you have a wonderful way with words:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

and I thought *that* tasted like lemon flavoured KY jelly...

And exactly how do you know what KY jelly tastes like?? Never mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

and I thought *that* tasted like lemon flavoured KY jelly...

is this a bad thing??:D

• Advertisement

In an effort to remind myself that "taper" does not mean "sit on hole eating Maxi Twists", I went out for 5 miles in the glorious sunshine this evening, at a relatively decent (by my standards) pace of 9.48/mile.

Felt fecking great. Happy birthday to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Happy birthday rk, r u doing achill or multimarathon, best of luck whichever one it is and have a nice evening, fair play for running on your birthday, true dedication

Multimarathon - this weekend! :eek:

Looking forward to it and terrified of it in equal measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Multimarathon - this weekend! :eek:

Looking forward to it and terrified of it in equal measures.
    You will be fine :) . Relax and just let the miles tick away . You've come on some much in the last number of months. :) enjoy the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Best of luck with the Half' this weekend.
    Hope to see you posting a time of 2:00.00 here next week. ;)
    Belated Happy Birthday.

PS - you are allowed to eat Maxi Twists on your birthday.

Last run before the half... 3 miles this afternoon. (9.48/mile pace)

*kicks humidity*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Good luck in the half rk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Last run before the half... 3 miles this afternoon. (9.48/mile pace)

*kicks humidity*

Best of luck with the race. I would advise getting out for a VERY slow mile or two tomorrow morning if you can though just to keep the legs ticking over i find from experience if i do nothing the day before a race legs actually take a while to get moving in the race

Ran the half this morning. Honestly - given the conditions, I wish it had started at 9.30-ish when it was a lot cooler and more comfortable than it was at 11! I had gone into the race with the pace for a 2:10 half in mind (6.10/km - 9.55/mile) but knew within the first kilometer (think I went through in about 6.25) that it wasn't happening - I was more comfortable at 6.25/km pace and I'd be more likely to actually finish if I tried to keep to that pace. The beach section was a bit weird, didn't feel too bad underfoot actually and was an interesting change, even if my shoes now don't look quite as white as they used to! Used gels at 50 minutes and 1:40 (had intended for it to be at 5 and 10 miles, but ended up being more like 5 and 9.5) - I made the noob mistake of bringing a kind I hadn't used before (Powerbar Strawberry/Banana) but got away with it.

Felt like I slowed up a bit after about the 9km mark - maybe the heat and humidity were getting to me a little, but kept chugging along anyway and ended up picking off a lot of people in the second half of the race that had gone past me early on.
    Ended up facing one of my biggest fears on the beach on the way back... JELLYFISH. EVERYWHERE. :eek: Didn't help too that there was a very heavy fog on the beach and it was very hard to see where the turn to get off the beach was - maybe another marshal there would have been a good idea? Passing the 16km marker meant I was into uncharted territory, my longest training run was 10 miles. Felt fine, if a little slow, up until about the 19-20km mark when the legs just started feeling really heavy. Didn't stop though, and finished in (by my watch) a time of 2:17:21, which is 10.29/mile or 6.31/km pace.

I'm really glad to have finished - slightly disappointed with the time because I honestly though I could have had a decent go at a 2:10, but I suppose that when my preparation isn't ideal then just finishing the race was good. I ran all the way, didn't stop to walk at all, unlike a lot of people who finished at similar times to me. It's also given me even more respect for the distance I'll face in October - I honestly didn't feel like I could go much further at all than the 13.1 by the time I finished today. Still got 4 months before I face twice that distance though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done RK, you have came so far since starting your training log. Im envious as always.

Advertisement