Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP problem?

Options
  • 05-07-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

My net isn't working properly so I went onto the Eircom page and it says I am fully connected and all that, I then ran the troubleshooting app and the results i got were:

Diagnostics

DSL: Pass
    ATM: Pass
    Ethernet: Pass
    PPPoE: Pass
    Authentication: Pass
    IP: Fail
    Cannot access home.eircom.net. Please try a different address by using the field labeled "Web Address" and clicking the [Test] button. If problem persists, go to Home link and press the [Restart Connection] button. After connection restarts, return to Diagnostics page and try tests again. If trouble is still present, please contact the help desk.

Anyone know how to fix this or am I going to have to ring the clowns at eircom tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

gaz15 wrote: »
    My net isn't working properly so I went onto the Eircom page and it says I am fully connected and all that, I then ran the troubleshooting app and the results i got were:

Diagnostics

DSL: Pass
    ATM: Pass
    Ethernet: Pass
    PPPoE: Pass
    Authentication: Pass
    IP: Fail
    Cannot access home.eircom.net. Please try a different address by using the field labeled "Web Address" and clicking the [Test] button. If problem persists, go to Home link and press the [Restart Connection] button. After connection restarts, return to Diagnostics page and try tests again. If trouble is still present, please contact the help desk.

Anyone know how to fix this or am I going to have to ring the clowns at eircom tomorrow?

Can I recommend OpenDns, settings here:

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Sec. DNS: 208.67.220.220

You will have to edit your Netopia Router settings.

http://192.168.1.254/

Go into Expert mode/Configure/Connection:

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

There is definitely a eircom problem tonite, even site eircom.net is down.

The above settings are on the Netopia 2247 wireless router, new GUI.

Opendns is a much better alternative to eircoms own DNS servers, as they are always on the blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Already discussed here

Do as Irishpancake says, it should solve your problems for now.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Already discussed here

Sorry, I didn't know that. I just had to change my own settings tonite, and I had to use Hotspot Shield to even browse. But it's far too slow, and too many adds.

Opendns is the only thing ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

Cheers will try that thanks!

But there's a funny thing, all sites are OK except www.opendns.com.

Now that is odd.

And I was able to get onto it earlier, but that was through hotspot shield.

curious :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Okay I am a complete novice with IT settings here: if I were to follow the instructions given above are they short-term solution?
    Would I have to go back to my original settings again at some point? (don't even know how I would do that though)
    What benefit would the change in settings bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

To add to Kerryman is this a once off or do you need to constantly update opendns codes (if thats what they are called)

Cheers

Ahh no need for sorrows, a lot of folk are having grief tonight and are posting the same tip as your good self.

I've also added both OpenDNS to my network card as the primary & secondary DNS and it seems to improve things even more. I kept the Eircom ones as tertiary and quarternary dns just in case :D.

Now that is odd.

Just confirmed that Opendns is accesible when I use Hotspot Shield, the VPN which by-passes the eircom network.

So the problem connecting to Opendns is an eircom network problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I've also added both OpenDNS to my network card as the primary & secondary DNS and it seems to improve things even more. I kept the Eircom ones as tertiary and quarternary dns just in case :D.

:D fair play to you

*looks over head as it flies over leaving me :confused:*

• Advertisement

eddiej wrote: »
    To add to Kerryman is this a once off or do you need to constantly update opendns codes (if thats what they are called)

Cheers

If you change the settings in your router, they should be available to any PC using your network, wireless or directly connected. This assumes that you allow your devices to obtain their IP addresses dynamically.

If your PC or Laptop has a Static set-up, then you may have to change DNS settings in Control Panel/Network Connections/Properties/TCP/IP/Properties.

Hopefully these will not have to be changed. ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay I am a complete novice with IT settings here: if I were to follow the instructions given above are they short-term solution?
    Would I have to go back to my original settings again at some point? (don't even know how I would do that though)
    What benefit would the change in settings bring?

If you set them in your router as irishpancake has done they will stay there until you do a reset. You can use either Eircom's, OpenDNS's or another if you wish, its not critical which. There's no real requirement to go back, you can keep the new settings permanently if you get faster or more stable performance than Eircom (which isn't hard at the moment). Normally using your ISP's server is considered best but not in this case imo.
    eddiej wrote: »
    Cheers

You don't need to keep changing them. The 'codes' are IP addresses which are basically unique ids for every computer on the web, they hardly ever change for this type of thing.

(Heck this thread's moving fast, can't type quick enough.)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Yes, VPNs seem also an option. The discussed free BlackVPN is working a treat tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it might help simplify things to think of dns server addresses like phone books.

open dns is like the internet equivalent of 11811 or 11850 or whatever.

when your PC wants to get to a web address it needs to find out it's IP address which is the underlying numbering system that the internet and other types of computer networks work on.

at the moment, eircoms directory listing is a little bit messed up, so by changing your DNS server addresses you're basically telling your computer to get the information on where to find the websites you're visiting from a different directory.

you can keep the changes permanent or you can change back to eircom when they're working properly again.

personally, something like this happened a few years ago and i stopped using my ISP's DNS servers then and have never gone back, even though I use a different ISP now.

additionally, if you use opendns and you have a family, they have family filters to automatically block out all the nasty stuff you don't want your kids looking at and since you are putting the dns settings into your router, every pc on your network would be protected.

go to opendns.com and have a look for more info. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Can I recommend OpenDns, settings here:

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Sec. DNS: 208.67.220.220

You will have to edit your Netopia Router settings.

http://192.168.1.254/

Go into Expert mode/Configure/Connection:

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

There is definitely a eircom problem tonite, even site eircom.net is down.

The above settings are on the Netopia 2247 wireless router, new GUI.

Opendns is a much better alternative to eircoms own DNS servers, as they are always on the blink.

Hey in my settings, the Primary and Secondary dns numbers are 0.0.0.0. What's that about? Sorry, complete n00bfest here.

Overblood wrote: »
    Hey in my settings, the Primary and Secondary dns numbers are 0.0.0.0. What's that about? Sorry, complete n00bfest here.

Hi there Ob,

This is usual. Just overwrite thes settings with the OpenDns settings, and then hit the Save/Restart button.

The 0.0.0.0 settings simply means that the Router gets it's settings fro the ISP, in this case eircom. Tonite, this is not a good idea.:p

You perhaps should also re-boot your PC or Laptop, to ensure the new settings are transferred from the nrouter to the device.

Also, before making any changes, take a note of the original settings, in this case easy to remember, 0.0.0.0.

Just to be sure to be sure

Also, before making any changes, take a note of the original settings, in this case easy to remember, 0.0.0.0
    you'll most likely find that the only DNS server your PC is aware of is your router, which would be redirecting dns requests to whatever server(s) it's got set in it's configuration. in that respect any dns changes would be effective immediately without restarting th pc or router.

although having said that, a reboot can't hurt. :)

flushing the local dns cache might work better though.

from a dos prompt, type ipconfig/flushdns and hit enter, then when that's finished type ipconfig/registerdns and hit enter again.

basically, your PC will keep a record of any dns requests it's made and what the answer was to save time looking up the information if you go to the same website again within a certain amount of time.

clearing the local dns cache will just get rid of this (potentially bad) information and force your PC to look up the IP addresses of all the sites you visit from scratch.

vibe666 wrote: »
    you'll most likely find that the only DNS server your PC is aware of is your router, which would be redirecting dns requests to whatever server(s) it's got set in it's configuration. in that respect any dns changes would be effective immediately without restarting th pc or router.

although having said that, a reboot can't hurt. :)

flushing the local dns cache might work better though.

from a dos prompt, type ipconfig/flushdns and hit enter, then when that's finished type ipconfig/registerdns and hit enter again.

basically, your PC will keep a record of any dns requests it's made and what the answer was to save time looking up the information if you go to the same website again within a certain amount of time.

clearing the local dns cache will just get rid of this (potentially bad) information and force your PC to look up the IP addresses of all the sites you visit from scratch.

Point taken vibe :cool:

On the actual DNS problem which affected eircom, there seems to have been an attack on eircom's DNS servers, see here for info.

How come eircom never acknowledges these hack attacks, or gives any explanation to it's huge base of users which were adversely affected :(

I'm going to stick with the Opendns settings for good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Now that is odd.

OK, if you wanted to compromise the DNS of a particular ISP, would it not be sensible to also block access to a known good DNS service to prevent the removal of this compromise.

gerryk wrote: »
    OK, if you wanted to compromise the DNS of a particular ISP, would it not be sensible to also block access to a known good DNS service to prevent the removal of this compromise.
    no, because it's next to impossible.

poisoning one DNS source is one thing, blocking access to other DNS servers is something else entirely.

think of it like throwing a dodgy batch of fuel to texaco to stop people from filling up. it's a totally different kettle of fish to try and block every road in the country to stop people filling up somewhere else which (figuratively speaking) is along the lines of what you would be suggesting.

it's juvenile anarchy, not war.

the usual plan is to cause a bit of disruption and get some recognition for it, not permanently wipe out internet access for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement