Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Dublin photos and video thread.

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about the thread of old Dublin photos and video clips.

How about a thread of NEW DUBLING PHOTOS & VIDEO's!.

While we're browsing the 'net and hounding family and friends for old photos of Dublin for that thread, where are our children and grand children going to source the same kind of material in the future?.

So, how about we start posting photo's of MODERN DUBLIN for the prosperity of those to follow in our footsteps?.

Lets not make it a guessing game, take clearly identifiable photos of Dublin and name and date the photo.

It can be anything, landmarks, parks, rivers & canals, pubs & nite clubs etc... Anything goes really.

Capture Dublin today, for tomorrow ... how about it?.

Lets get this started..

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Of buildings, scenes or just moments in time? Or all of the abo...to the left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

3630079672_0054f59357_b.jpg
    3630077236_e545f88de8_b.jpg
    3318288070_f444c6b6f3.jpg
    1485961106_528b5df042.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I think it's a good idea. I enjoyed the old thread and really learnt a lot about the city I was born and raised in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Think it's a brilliant idea, always enjoy looking at the Old Picture thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is this new childrens chimneypark in the docklands beside a hotel strange place for it.
    http://www.dublindocklands.ie/index.jsp?p=94&n=105&a=1318

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

tribulus wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea. I enjoyed the old thread and really learnt a lot about the city I was born and raised in.

That sounds like you're referring to the old thread as if it was over (enjoyed)

Let's keep that one going too... it's stood the test of time. (no pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Great idea for a thread.
    I'll get snap happy with some of my favorite spots. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

is this new childrens chimneypark in the docklands beside a hotel strange place for it.

Its quite nice at the chimney :)
    23062009382_.jpg

Grand Canal Dock view of Bolands Mills and McMahon Bridge
    23052009237_.jpg

View of the South Quays from the O2(Point) depot
    22062009362_.jpg

Samuel Beckett bridge in place but not opened yet
    22062009373_.jpg

The works on the road at the southern end of the bridge
    pre-sambeckett_.jpg

Ferryman drinkers enjoying some freedom on the road while the roads around the bridge are being upgraded.
    ferrymandrinkers_.jpg

Finally, Docklands Luas bridge before its fully completed
    22062009370_.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fishamble St
    handelsigna.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

In years to come this might be an old tale we tell to our children much like nelsons pillar has been for me and my parents.
    Sadly I don't think we'll get any cool stories about it being blown up and wrecking O'Connell street to pass on the generations, let alone have my little fella running home with bits of it as souvenirs.
    2314637642_5a4288ca53.jpg

Another angle, In these 2 shots they are actually changing the bulbs in the top of the spire. they were originally supposed to last the lifetime of it but from what i can remember they didnt last any longer than a year. looks like the new ones are going strong though. :)
    1655332053_a1ca636666.jpg

From what i have heard this actually used to be an old cemetary and is located on jervis street. its a sort of park area at the moment and is often frequented by the "less desirables" types.
    1697307213_8e84302df7.jpg

These will probably be gone by then too, as it is they are already ancient. they were originally made as landing craft for the beaches in WW2 and were revamped and used as tourist craft here and in london. In london they actally travel through the thames river but here they just go for a 20 minute splash in the grand canal dock. kinda pointless really. :)
    3598797376_326d97e4c1.jpg

This is the Abbey street/jervis street junction. it would have been the rear of the old Jervis street hospital with the cemetary on the left. again, im not old enough to confirm this 100%. :)
    3105855404_a640d21d70.jpg

Wall of fame in Temple Bar, not much of a story behind this really, its a wall with famous irish people on it. :)
    1680837634_6a2de56332.jpg

Reckon this will still be around in 20 years? I dont know the name of the street of hand but its the building off georges street that houses georges arcade market. it might be drury street but im not 100%.
    3598805606_f78103451f.jpg

number 19 nassau street, just coz, like...
    1679977303_4b50f22213.jpg

If the new building gets the goahead, this is said to be gone in 2 years. The site which liberty hall was built on is rich in history as being one of the strong holds of the irish freedom fighters. the old hotel which stood here was demolished in the 50s an in its place Liberty Hall was built. Work started on it in 1961 and i believe took 4 years to complete.Its original design though didn't look like it does today. It was originally transparent and only the dividing floors were easily visible as oposed to the offices, at night when the light were on it would reverse and take on the opposite appearance. The floors were no longer visible, only the Offices in between.
    This changed when a bomb blast damaged most of the buildings windows in 1972 and in their place, an anti glare type tinted glass was installed to give the building the appearance we know it by today.
    3598752924_7b0063a792.jpg

Getting a little artistic with liberty hall,
    3598743580_0d6a4a71f3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Good pics Masada, can't believe Viking Tours are there! Great addition to the city but as a Grand Canal Dock resident they get annoying with their constant cheering outside my present home!(remember that kids!)

Still its great for the tourists. What has happened down here in the South Docklands is a million miles away from what it was 10 years ago when it was just quite literally a wasteyard.

Another one of liberty hall, in this one you can see the putty type sealer they layered on over the buildings original mosaic tile work. this was done as it was said to be too expensive to restore the mosaic work after the bomb blast damaged the building.
    3597950987_9b878274eb.jpg

A really typical pic for a photographer in dublin where you can make out 3 of Dublin's famous structures in one pic, the Custom House, Liberty Hall, and the Spire of Dublin.
    1680010955_9c0635dc65.jpg

A strange looking structure at the top of Grafton street. I think this may already be gone since i noticed another one there recently.
    1654969337_c578f5eaa6.jpg

A view from the window of a Stevens green shopping centre cafe.
    this would have been a more interesting photo if i got it before they rearranged the traffic flow a few years ago. some may remember it used to go the other way around.
    1654794141_afc77a6058.jpg

The Ulster Bank Building on Dublin's south quays. I believe it claims to be the tallest building in Ireland by way of an Ariel on its roof. that might be completely untrue though as I cant pin point exactly where i heard it. :)
    It was designed so as to appear to be a pyramid when viewed from certain angles. From the north side of the quays close to Jury's Hotel this is most noticeable.
    1680864108_59a5f3636b.jpg

This structure known as a bandstand, was located on Dun Laorige short/East pier was taken down maybe a year or two ago and as yet i am not sure if it has been returned. The revamp of the pier has been completed but i haven't been out there in quite a while so cant confirm if it has actually been replaced. I have no idea on its exact age but according to wkipedia,
    the bandstand, which stood for decades, was removed, and a restoration project was begun by the Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company in order to return it to its original condition.
    1680790986_41e0c895e2.jpg
    1679926375_63b82eadaf.jpg

A busker playing a saxophone on the Millennium Bridge which ironically, wasn't finished in time for the millennium. :D
    1655033170_9dc05bbf37.jpg

I think that's pretty much it for now. I've resisted posting the more typical ones like the GPO and Ha'penny bridge, if were talking about looking back on these in the future, its highly likely these structures will still be around and looking exactly the same. :)

Just found these 2 to add. :)

Might be an idea to stick this one in too, since by then this building might be gone, aswell as these buses in the same way we look back on the ones in the Old dublin thread.
    3598823220_868ce4acca.jpg

I dunno what this building is now but apparently this was the dole office for the north side in the 60's and 70s, not sure when it closed as i wasn't born then. :) oh, and its on lower Gardiner street, I believe there's a photo of this from decades ago in the Old Dublin pics thread too.
    3598741320_c84b600656.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I think our decendents might like to see this for themselves.... the price of petrol and diesel in Summer 2009.

P5150056-1-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I didn't take it, but this picture of the Spire is funbelievable

spiredublinir3.jpg

Makes O'Connell Street look eerily perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Masada wrote: »
    This structure known as a bandstand, was located on Dun Laorige short/East pier was taken down maybe a year or two ago and as yet i am not sure if it has been returned. The revamp of the pier has been completed but i haven't been out there in quite a while so cant confirm if it has actually been replaced.

The Bandstand is finished by now and a few days ago they even removed the fence. But for how long? You can see already spots of rust. :( The Shelter opposite to it is still not back. (Original plan was June last year) But since it collapsed in September (I think) you don't really see any progress...

xia wrote: »
    The Bandstand is finished by now and a few days ago they even removed the fence. But for how long? You can see already spots of rust. :( The Shelter opposite to it is still not back. (Original plan was June last year) But since it collapsed in September (I think) you don't really see any progress...

Ah but the stand is open Xia? I was at the funfair today and was half thinking of strolling down as I didn't want to be put in a bad mood and looking at that mess for the last 2 years or so just gives me headache.
    Has there been a band on it yet Xia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah but the stand is open Xia? I was at the funfair today and was half thinking of strolling down as I didn't want to be put in a bad mood and looking at that mess for the last 2 years or so just gives me headache.
    Has there been a band on it yet Xia?

Yes, the Bandstand is open and during the Regatta there was music. I didn't get a chance to go closer this weekend, but on Saturday it sounded more so like DJ, at least not live. So if you don't mind the mess on the upper level it's well worth a visit now;)

That's how the Stand looked like this morning.

3718513590_9a26936a12.jpg

Nice one Xia, it looks brilliant now.
    Must take a walk with the missus next week end. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Will this decade be remembered for gangland shootings?..

Here's graffitti on a wall opposite where Thomas Joyce was murdered in Grove Lane (Dublin 17) recently..

attachment.php?attachmentid=85112&stc=1&d=1247660721

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Could I suggest the addition of a few business premises?

Danfay was a very well known shop in Aungier Street distributing Yamaha musical instruments which recently closed it's doors for the last time.
    Danfay_Medium.jpg

Hales Freight is a well known Dublin haulage company which was based at these premises on the North Wall for many years.
    Hales_Freight_Medium.jpg

Another shop which ceased trading in recent years is Grennells sp. of Parnell Street. If anyone has photos of this wonderful Aladdin's cave I'd be delighted to see them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just two of the Blackrock Baths as they stand;

3660478149_3407d562b0.jpg

3660479229_cc6769d75b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Richmond Street, Charlemont St. in the background.

I tried to embed it but it appears to be too wide to view as a single post.

Dublin City.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Here's another piece of hoarding in the City.
    Someone doesn't like U2!:eek::p
    004_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I have a site of Dublin photos, that I've taken over a number of years at this stage. There are links to a few other sites from it with more photos and some links to videos.

Flukey's Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Is there a waterways theme to the photographs? For a city with such underused watereways we are all very fond of the old H2O. Great shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34305619@N06/3818517478/

Thought this might be suitable for here. This was taken on board the derelict light ship docked beside the Point depot. In the foreground to the right is the concrete structure that was being built by Liam Carroll to house Anglo Irish's new head quarters.
    BDA1813938A1454E91B22C106C9770F4-500.jpg
    This one is also from that new square off grand canal dock..
    F7745772E0C547579537BE441E75789C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

i didnt take this but Harcourt Street

357085_dade5cbf.jpg

also the dart is pretty iconic

S3010106.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    i didnt take this but Harcourt Street

357085_dade5cbf.jpg

also the dart is pretty iconic