Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 Limerick To Nenagh Construction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That stop and go on the R498 where it passes under the Nenagh Bypass caused absolute havoc on the way home from Thurles on Saturday after the Galway match. There was roughly a 5 mile (8km) tailback queuing for the stop and go.

I'll be taking a different route this Sunday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The M7 From Nenagh to Limerick is severely inadequate in alllowing local access the whole way.

The Birdhill interchange should be given access to the south side of the route. There is no access from the Newport or Ballinahinch areas to get onto the M7 whatsoever. Infact there is no access to any part of mid Tipp to the interchange. Only the two interchanges at Nenagh and Limerick.

Whoever designed these interchanges. Isn't intellegent. ( I could say worse):mad:

Towns such as Newport, Dolla, Slivermines, Ballnahinch, killoscully and Mid Tipp Have no access to the M7 at all. Zero.

The two R roads actually join the N7. These r roads carry alot of regional traffic to and from the N7 directly. This traffic is restricted onto the Motorway when the motorway is then the main route.

Newroad.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Motorways are not designed to allow local access in the first place.

MYOB wrote: »
    Motorways are not designed to allow local access in the first place.

But the R504 and Silvermines road directly lead to the N7. Its about giving the motorway access properly. It doesn't need to be dotted with interchanges. Thats not what I'm implying.

I'm saying proper access is required where the interchange are and is located.

Look at N8 and N6 near Cork, Galway. They have great access and a cuple interchanges to provide local trafficgoing over it and onto its feeder routes.

The 40km route on the Nenagh to Limerick route has only ONE inadeqaute interchange which allows only one movement to Birdhill. The M7 cuts Mid Tipp in Half. The Old N7 Imo will still have alot of traffic on it.

So the motorway here is not very accessible.

The interchange near Limerick. don't get me started on that.

It just seems the NRA can get anything right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many houses lead directly to the N7... they don't get interchanges.

Its not designed to take local traffic. It is specifically designed to take long distance traffic.

• Advertisement

Many houses lead directly to the N7... they don't get interchanges.

Its not designed to take local traffic. It is specifically designed to take long distance traffic.

I never stated houses.

Stop arguing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mysterious wrote: »
    I never stated houses.

Stop arguing with me.

I'm with MYOB on this one,
    too many junctions lead to cars bunching to allow otehr cars on and off motorways.
    Motorways should only really feed national primary and national secondary roads, as they are the primary arteries to the various URBAN areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Junction at Newport (start of scheme), junction at Birhill, junction at Carrigatogher (Nenagh), junction at Thurles Road and a junction at end of the bypass. 5 junctions over 36km. The reason there aren't any more junctions is beacuse the traffic isn't there to justify the construction of the junctions in the design year. This would be supported by COBA as well.

For all your talk about sub-standard junctions you want to go tacking on junctions willy-nilly which leads to a restriction in mainline flows/speeds.

Junction at Newport (start of scheme), junction at Birhill, junction at Carrigatogher (Nenagh), junction at Thurles Road and a junction at end of the bypass. 5 junctions over 36km. The reason there aren't any more junctions is beacuse the traffic isn't there to justify the construction of the junctions in the design year. This would be supported by COBA as well.

For all your talk about sub-standard junctions you want to go tacking on junctions willy-nilly which leads to a restriction in mainline flows/speeds.

Ok I will start again...

Are you all clear this time?
    I said EXISTING interchanges are inadequate. The route is 38km in lenght

There is no junction between Limerick and Nenagh bar the Birdhill interchange. It has no access for Tipp people to access the motorway bar north of the route. The Newport and R498, R504 has no access to this interchange at this point.

I'm not demanding another interchange. Btw this route is near Limerick it should have good access like any motorway approaching a city. In order to remove a lot of heavy traffic off the old alignment.

Look at Cork -Glamire, Galway -Balinsloe, Cork - Balincollig, Limerick - Adare, Dublin -Maynooth. They all have proper facilitated junctions.

The Birdhill junction is not a full access interchange. The R504 passes about 2km from the interchange and has no access to the motorway.

They have interchanges for significantly larger places. Newport has the population of a decent sized single housing estate in Celbridge, for instance...

• Advertisement

Nobody from Newport would travel north to then go west. They will continue along the R503 to the Newport Roundabout. The R504 connects Birdhill to Newport- there is one village at Touknockane and bar that it's one off housing. They still can get onto the old N7 which will have a lot less traffic on it so they really aren't suffering like you are making out.
    The R498 runs from Nenagh to Thurles which will have a full access junction onto the M7 Nenagh Bypass. Perhaps you mean the R499? Again the same applies, they get onto a much quieter N7 and can access the M7 at Birdhill or Nenagh.

They have interchanges for significantly larger places. Newport has the population of a decent sized single housing estate in Celbridge, for instance...

The whole region from Newport to Dolla and everywhere south of it has no acces to the M7. The interchange is built, but there is no access from the south roundabout.

You seen the link. That is all that is required, a link.

Newport has a population of 2.500 and is one of the fastest growing towns in munster. I don't think its just a housig estae.I'm talking the entire southwest Tipp region.

Nobody from Newport would travel north to then go west. They will continue along the R503 to the Newport Roundabout. The R504 connects Birdhill to Newport- there is one village at Touknockane and bar that it's one off housing. They still can get onto the old N7 which will have a lot less traffic on it so they really aren't suffering like you are making out.
    The R498 runs from Nenagh to Thurles which will have a full access junction onto the M7 Nenagh Bypass. Perhaps you mean the R499? Again the same applies, they get onto a much quieter N7 and can access the M7 at Birdhill or Nenagh.

My link road will solve all that mess.

It still as it stand does not give away the fact, that the M7 is not accessible from the south side at all. You have to use the N7, this is my point, it doesn't make logical sense.

Newport might have been one of the fastest growing towns in Munster, your assertion, but it's stagnant now. There are plenty of houses in Newport unoccupied. According to the 2006 CSO Census Newport had a population of ~1300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

The M7 From Nenagh to Limerick is severely inadequate in alllowing local access the whole way.

The Birdhill interchange should be given access to the south side of the route. There is no access from the Newport or Ballinahinch areas to get onto the M7 whatsoever. Infact there is no access to any part of mid Tipp to the interchange. Only the two interchanges at Nenagh and Limerick.

Whoever designed these interchanges. Isn't intellegent. ( I could say worse):mad:

Towns such as Newport, Dolla, Slivermines, Ballnahinch, killoscully and Mid Tipp Have no access to the M7 at all. Zero.

The two R roads actually join the N7. These r roads carry alot of regional traffic to and from the N7 directly. This traffic is restricted onto the Motorway when the motorway is then the main route.

Newroad.jpg

Good point mate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Hmmm......Can't really agree with Mysterious. 38k is about 24 miles so Birdhill Junction means makes an average distance between junctions of 12 miles - pretty average for a rural motorway passing no major town. Newport has a direct route to Limerick. Dolla, Silvermines etcetera are miniscule crossroads settlements. In fact if Birdhill didn't connect to Killaloe and County Clare it would hardly merit an exit at all. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Agree entirely - and while not really up to scratch as a *NATIONAL* road, the current N7 soon to be R445 should be more than what is required for REGIONAL traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Zoney wrote: »
    Agree entirely - and while not really up to scratch as a *NATIONAL* road, the current N7 soon to be R445 should be more than what is required for REGIONAL traffic.

Yep, once the M7 is built, travel times to these intersections will be close to the 90/100kph speed nearly all the time (less traffic increases overtaking opportunities etc)

It's particularly good (and unusual compared to most cases of former N roads being bypassed) that the current N7 was properly resurfaced in the last couple of years between Limerick and Nenagh, with fairly proper road markings, signage etc. and some work on verges.

The only problems really with it, even with numerous junctions, bends, etc. are due to the high traffic volumes/overtaking which should reduce sufficiently with the M7. There is one particular bad bend "blackspot" that it would be good to see work on though even for it being an R road.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hmmm......Can't really agree with Mysterious. 38k is about 24 miles so Birdhill Junction means makes an average distance between junctions of 12 miles - pretty average for a rural motorway passing no major town. Newport has a direct route to Limerick. Dolla, Silvermines etcetera are miniscule crossroads settlements. In fact if Birdhill didn't connect to Killaloe and County Clare it would hardly merit an exit at all. :cool:

This is my third time.

ARE YOU READY AGAIN.

If you cannot read my points I posed in my posts. Please don't reply. I'm serious just don't reply. Its simple.

I NEVER SAID ADD ANOTHER INTERCHANGE ANYWHERE ON THIS THREAD. IT IS MY THIRD ****ING TIME SAYING IT. Where the hell do ye get your notions from.

I said the Birdhill interchange should have access from the south side of the motorway. There is no access between Limerick and Nenagh from the south side of the motorway. THAT IS MY POINT.

• Advertisement

mysterious:

To get onto the M7 from east/south of the Birdhill junction, you simply use local roads or the R504 to get to the R494.

There is no road to connect the southeast side of that junction *to* and it makes no sense to spend lots of money to provide a diversionary link road round to the R504 (must less with roundabouts for trivial little backroads) when the same is acheived by simply following the existing roads through Birdhill, certainly slightly less direct but a trivial extra minute or two for the few people it has to serve (about 2 km longer than your link road).

The R494 placement onto the new junction is entirely appropriate as most of the traffic will be to/from the existing R494 to Killaloe etc.

The motorway doesn't "cut off" the community east of it as there are numerous little roads that will go under the motorway (I've been on them myself and seen the construction so I am not making up stuff from looking at maps). These will allow people to use the existing N7/R445 or if they so wish go the small diversion to Birdhill and from there to the new junction.

If people posting here have addressed other issues they thought you raised (e.g. more junctions) I would suggest it is due to the lack of clarity of your original posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I also think the current N7/future R445 future is a fine road, i guess its going be reduced to 80km/hr and become a magnet for Garda speed traps ala R639 once the M7 opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I also think the current N7/future R445 future is a fine road, i guess its going be reduced to 80km/hr and become a magnet for Garda speed traps ala R639 once the M7 opens?

I agree there will be some good alternative regioanls roads once the motorway network is completed.

Zoney wrote: »
    mysterious:

To get onto the M7 from east/south of the Birdhill junction, you simply use local roads or the R504 to get to the R494.

There is no road to connect the southeast side of that junction *to* and it makes no sense to spend lots of money to provide a diversionary link road round to the R504 (must less with roundabouts for trivial little backroads) when the same is acheived by simply following the existing roads through Birdhill, certainly slightly less direct but a trivial extra minute or two for the few people it has to serve (about 2 km longer than your link road).

The R494 placement onto the new junction is entirely appropriate as most of the traffic will be to/from the existing R494 to Killaloe etc.

The motorway doesn't "cut off" the community east of it as there are numerous little roads that will go under the motorway (I've been on them myself and seen the construction so I am not making up stuff from looking at maps). These will allow people to use the existing N7/R445 or if they so wish go the small diversion to Birdhill and from there to the new junction.

If people posting here have addressed other issues they thought you raised (e.g. more junctions) I would suggest it is due to the lack of clarity of your original posts.

AGAIN.

I'm talking about access from the south side of the motorway TO THE MOTORWAY.

AGAIN
    I'm saying It is needed and is not expensive to build a single R road about 2/3km in lenght.

Dissagree with me all you like. This is the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AGAIN.

I'm talking about access from the south side of the motorway TO THE MOTORWAY.

AGAIN
    I'm saying It is needed and is not expensive to build a single R road about 2/3km in lenght.

Dissagree with me all you like. This is the fact.
    NO! It's jut one man/boy's (I don't know how old you are) OPINION!

You have no idea how expensive or otherwise your proposed road would be. Would it need extra piles due to boggy land for example?

The motorway is NOT an impermeable barrier. The locals can acces it by driving under/over it on the EXISTING local roads and then accessing it via the old N7 etc. The MOTORWAY WAS AND NEVER SHOULD BE DESIGNED TO PROVIDE ACCESS TO SUCH HAMLETS as you are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Isn't it mysterious how much better your boards experience is when you learn to ignore certain people? :)

How much would 2-3km of new single-carriageway regional road cost these days I wonder?

How much would 2-3km of new single-carriageway regional road cost these days I wonder?

About 2 or 3 million I would imagine, I would rather see it going to this than giving it to the north to upgrade the A5.

Any updates on this scheme lately? Theres so much noise on this thread with no progress on the scheme, I wish it was bumped with the M7 motorway thread over on the infrastructure forum which has good updates.

Three k of greenfield single carriageway would cost closer to €30 million than three! As for updates - not before Christmas is my latest info.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Three k of greenfield single carriageway would cost closer to €30 million than three! As for updates - not before Christmas is my latest info.

That would be the cost of 3km of motorway, there would be no overbridges/underbridges. Junctions would be at-grade on a regional road single carriageway link. Nowhere near 30 million. The Castleisland bypass which is 6km of road is around 20 million and has several structures.

Pic updates preferably would be ideal, theres another thread over on infrastructure M7 Motorway that has updates on one page better than the whole of this entire thread. It could be finished before Chritmas probably will as I've seen the whole scheme.

• Advertisement

Gotta include land acquisition costs. When the CPO for Nenagh - Limerick was published land prices were at their peak. Look at the M6 Athlone- Ballinasloe; €600 million for 20k (including 2k of connecting roads). That's 30m per kilometre. Heck....you're right! :D

Advertisement