Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Marriage Protest! 9th August!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Untense wrote: »
    Can you list the differences, and why those differences are such that children apparently need to be kept away from the homosexual relationship - Without mentioning your preference for biological parents.

I never said that "children need to be kept away from the homosexual relationship". I'm quite alright with the idea of my children knowing that homosexuals exist. I'm not quite alright with children being raised without a mother and a father.
    If you had the chance to vote against single heterosexual parents adopting, would you?

Yes.
    If someone asks me would I be okay with allowing white people adopting black child, I can answer that I am overwhelmingly in support of a child remaining with their natural parents and that I would do everything to encourage this. But if I answer in this way I am not addressing the question, but what is implicit in that kind of response is very apparent - that I do not support inter-ratial adoption and for whatever reason, I am tactfully avoiding having to explain why.

I've explained why I feel the race example doesn't cut it. I don't oppose adoption. I feel that children should be raised with both a mother and a father even if they are not the biological parents. I also believe that children should have access to their biological parents if adopted.
    Can you elaborate on the difference between the two. And define a homosexual lifestyle.

I have already explained what I meant by this term. I've also explained the difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual relationship in my post.
    I can disagree with someones skin tone and sound very reasonable about it. Maybe it is genetic but research indicates there can quite often also be an environmental cause. I don't particularly agree with them being brown, but I'm sure they're nice people
    But the fact I even have to get so far as to 'lay blame' as to the reasons for a person being that way, indicates an unspoken proposition that they 'ought not be that way' in the first place, or at least that they should or could have been something else. It is non-acceptance of a reality that no human has willingly created, and it is discrimination.

Again, I've dealt with the difference between skin tone and sexuality.

Sexual acts involve actions. It is quite conceivable one can disagree with actions. Skin colour does not involve actions. We also have evidence to say that it is genetically determined.
    I'm sure there are plenty of areas in your own life where you jump to conclusions about things you don't understand. If you can have the humility to relate to those areas in your own life you can easily relate to them in another person.

As for jumping to conclusions to things I don't understand. I don't feel I can jump to conclusions on this. I would need indications to suggest that something is true before I subscribe to it as a viewpoint.

I have yet to see what the big deal is that I don't hold the same view as other people do. I concede that I don't know, and I feel that this is the honest and right thing to do if I don't know.

People are getting hot and bothered about this. I can understand that if you believe what you do it's offensive. However in a pluralist society you have to understand that people will disagree with you.
    Once again someone paints you a scenario where the biological family simply does not exist in any functional way.
    This is a reality in many situations, and you once again refuse to accept it. If you look through how you've replied to everyone on this thread relating to this issue you do the exact same thing. You're actually avoiding the issue. What are you so afraid to say?

I don't refuse to accept it. I've answered. I believe the Government should financially promote adoption in whatever way possible so that children can have the right to both a mother and a father.

Some people seem to think that this is an objection that I have in the case of homosexual unions. However it simply isn't. I personally think that children should have a mother and a father. I think it would be a good idea if single mothers could find a husband obviously if she loves him, so that the child can have a father figure in their lives. Likewise I believe that the State should promote giving children both a mother and a father. I hope that will address your point.
    I understand that it's regarding your personal ethics, and that's why I'm asking you the question - but it's a bit self deceiving to believe your personal ideas of morality are not affecting your view on same-sex equality in this discussion.

I believe that the State should govern independent of viewpoint on religion. My personal ethics and morality inform how I act. My faith is also a powerful guide in my life, I am not going to deny that. However, I believe early Christians did not get involved in power, Paul advised Christians to adhere to the State as long as it did not deny personal religious freedoms. Being respectful to the State as an external power was what was right to do.

I have no interest in having a Christian view forced on non-Christians. Not in the slightest. I believe Christianity is a free choice, and I believe that it changes lives if chosen voluntarily. I of course encourage evangelism, but any church function should be separate from the State. I also think the State should not exert inappropriate control over people of faith or their churches.

Christians should be free to offer opinions on politics, but Christianity should not decide political decisions merely because it is Christianity. Political decisions should be made because they are reasonable.

I've already told you. I respect homosexuals as people first. I don't feel people should be categorised by their sexuality. People have much more to offer the world.

I hope that addresses your concern.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jakkass wrote: »
    I've already told you. I respect homosexuals as people first. I don't feel people should be categorised by their sexuality. People have much more to offer the world.

Yet you wish to categorise their suitability as a parent by their sexuality.

You also still haven't clarified how your position can justify effectively punishing the children of same sex relationships by denying them the stability of married parents. These children exist, you can go on about how you'd prefer them not to and prefer the state to encourage male/female parenting all you want, but these relationships are there. And you want to ensure they cannot get any legal support.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

HI all, I was there, great parade, powerful speakers .... I took lots of pictures of people marching. I was the 6'6'' guy getting in everyones way with a camera. .......

Well I developed the film last night and scanned the negs todays so if you want to see the raw versions here , before I tweak them , let me know if you want a copy etc

http://flickr.com/gp/13111789@N00/2v7pEf

regards

Anthony Cronin

mobius42 wrote: »
    I don't think scientists are as agnostic towards this issue as you seem to think, but I admit there is still some debate on the issue.

However, my point is that homosexuality was not a choice for me, I did not choose to be gay. And as such, I feel that it is unfair to treat me differently because of this.

You are entitled to differ with me. I'm not convinced that it is biologically determined.

As for not thinking that scientists are agnostic on the issue, I would advise you to look it up instead of making assumptions about what scientists believe.
    I didn't claim you were a homophobe. Someone afraid of gay people is hardly likely to be posting on a forum for gay people!

Good, I'm glad. I find it inappropriate for people to call people homophobes as a means of stifling legitimate discussion.
    What irritates most people about this attitude is this treating marriage and civil unions separately is a "separate, but equal" situation. This implies that gay people are somehow inferior to straight people and not entitled to the same treatment. You may not think this personally, but such a situation implies it.

If marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Then the statement, everyone can be married is applicable. Everyone can seek to be married.

If civil union is a union between a man and a woman. Then the statement everyone can have a civil union is applicable. Everyone can seek for this union.

This is the reason why I disagree with the notion that it is discriminatory.

Also, it is discrimination as you are treating people differently on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Again, based on the above one isn't. All people can be married, have a civil union, or neither.

The issue arises based on the definition of what marriage is.
    On the other hand, if both gays and straights have the same rights in relation to unions, but just the name is different, then your argument seems childish and petty.

I've already established my concerns surrounding adoption.
    Also, I am glad to see that you understand that people are not categorised by their sexuality. People on both sides of the debate are guilty of this. However, if your opinion of us is no different to others, then why do you insist we be treated differently?

See above.
    I'm asking on what basis you are insisting that biological connections are paramount to all others. You say that they are an ideal. I can understand this to a degree, but do you not consider that there are many, many cases (not even involving gay people) where this is just not the case? The biological parents are, unfortunately, not always the best parents for a child.

I think that the biological family is the best structure for families. Secondary to that I think adoption with a mother and a father is an option. I also believe that in any case of adoption the child should be offered means to contact their biological parents should they be willing to. My objection concerning child raising results around the lack of a father or a mother depending on the LGBT relationship structure. If there was a possibility whereby the child could have a third parent if you will to serve as the mother or father in that childs life on a regular basis I might be more open to the possibility of LGBT family structures.
    I can understand your opinion, but, just as you insisted on evidence that homosexuality is genetically controlled, i must insist that you provide evidence that a man cannot replace a mother and vice versa. I direct you to these videos which show that gay parents can create a family unit, identical to straight parents: http://www.youtube.com/depfox

I've already made reference to academic journals. Some conclude that the lack of a father or a mother is detrimental to childhood development. Others argue that LGBT relationships are just as good as heterosexual relationships. This causes me to be slightly doubtful.
    Chromosomes have no bearing on someone's raising of a child. Again, I am just questioning why you think that just because someone gave half their genetic material to someone else that makes them the best parent for a child.

I feel the biological parents have rights concerning their child. In the case of sperm donation this should be no different. This child is a biological parent and should be respected as such before the law.

As for just because someone is their biological father doesn't mean that they are the best father for the child. I could say that about any man. However when it comes down to it, this man is factually the child's father and should have rights of custody unless the man is dangerous or serves a threat to the child or the mother. That's where I leave it.

MatthewVII wrote: »
    As complete Off-topic banter, I find this viewpoint hilarious considering how strongly you believe in the existence of God.

Given the amount of discussion we have had on God, I think you will know that I believe in God because I believe I have good reason to believe that God exists. You know as well as I do that that is for another thread.
    MatthewVII wrote: »
    Like most things, it's almost certainly due to a combination of genetics and environment. This makes it inherently impossible to discover exactly why people are gay but can give some factors which make it more likely (eg certain genes, position in family, society in which you grow etc). Haven't looked up any recent articles but I'll try and rustle up the ones I've read in the past.

Right, as long as you are willing to understand that that is speculation and not fact I'm fine with that. However to profess this as fact and to tell everyone who is either unsure about that hypothesis, or who holds a different hypothesis that they are homophobic for doing so is a bit extreme. It serves to stifle debate and is ultimately unhelpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

If marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Then the statement, everyone can be married is applicable. Everyone can seek to be married.

If civil union is a union between a man and a woman. Then the statement everyone can have a civil union is applicable. Everyone can seek for this union.

You don't see the discrimination with the current marriage laws in this country, are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

If a new law is passed stating that the only religion it's legal to practice in Ireland is Scientology. Then the statement, everyone can practice religon is applicable. Mightn't be the religion they want to practice but they still have the right so they should be happy with it and I'm sure you'd see no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

ye got civil partnerships? please be accommodating for a catholic nation? Im not religious but come on like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I never said that "children need to be kept away from the homosexual relationship". I'm quite alright with the idea of my children knowing that homosexuals exist. I'm not quite alright with children being raised without a mother and a father.

100% agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

elekid wrote: »
    If a new law is passed stating that the only religion it's legal to practice in Ireland is Scientology. Then the statement, everyone can practice religon is applicable. Mightn't be the religion they want to practice but they still have the right so they should be happy with it and I'm sure you'd see no problem with that.

Thank you for finally putting this into words for me. This argument that it's not discrimination because gay people can still marry people of the opposite sex is so totally moronic that I was unable to rebut it. It was so stupid I didn't know where to start. When I saw John Waters recent column where he made this argument, I was lost for words.

• Advertisement

elekid wrote: »

I think I'd do a jolly good job of worshipping in secret :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think I'd do a jolly good job of worshipping in secret :)

And you wouldn't consider that an unfair discrimination against you? You'd be happy to live in that society?

Goodshape wrote: »
    And you wouldn't consider that an unfair discrimination against you? You'd be happy to live in that society?

If I could still worship anyway, albeit in an illegal fashion that would seem to be to be the solution.

I don't think there is a legitimate comparison with this. The issue that people are having is with how marriage is defined, not in the fact that they cannot get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If I could still worship anyway, albeit in an illegal fashion that would seem to be to be the solution.
    I don't think there is a legitimate comparison with this. The issue that people are having is with how marriage is defined, not in the fact that they cannot get married.
    No, it is similar. I can legally get married - just not to someone I love. You would be legally free to worship - just not to a God you believe in.

It is very similar to saying "there is no discrimination" in current marriage laws.

Of course it would be unfair discrimination, but it wouldn't be anything that would stop me regarding God as I do.

I don't think disagreement concerning definition constitutes discrimination in relation to marriage especially when an alternative is offered.
    No, it is similar. I can legally get married - just not to someone I love. You would be legally free to worship - just not to a God you believe in.

This would be ignoring the notion of civil unions completely. As for not being allowed to worship in God, I believe that God exists everywhere. It's pretty well impossible to stop someone praying in their mind, or hiding a Bible somewhere in their home or elsewhere.

I mean this happens all over the world today, particularly in the Middle East.
    It is very similar to saying "there is no discrimination" in current marriage laws.

It isn't really. One concerns how marriage is defined, another concerns a blanket ban on religion X. Banning religion X would be more equivalent to banning homosexual acts rather than defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

Jackass,
    I find that your arguements bear no resemblance to reality, yes there is an ideal for children to grow up with their biological parents in a clean house with a fantastic education and money so that they can partake in loads of hobbies and perhaps throw some horses into the mix. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way and many many children are deprived, abused and maltreated.
    Surely the right to be considered for the adoption of children is not unreasonable.
    Also if a gay relationship is deemed an unfit environment for children than it is regarded as a deviant relationship and each party is therefore a second class citizen. You cant say gay is ok but not for children that is extremely offensive.

Reflector wrote: »
    Jackass,
    I find that your arguements bear no resemblance to reality, yes there is an ideal for children to grow up with their biological parents in a clean house with a fantastic education and money so that they can partake in loads of hobbies and perhaps throw some horses into the mix. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way and many many children are deprived, abused and maltreated.
    Surely the right to be considered for the adoption of children is not unreasonable.

You can feel whatever way you like about my arguments.

I believe that children should have both a mother and a father in their development. I've even left the door open for a compromise on the issue of adoption on this thread:
    Jakkass wrote:
    If there was a possibility whereby the child could have a third parent if you will to serve as the mother or father in that childs life on a regular basis I might be more open to the possibility of LGBT family structures.
    Also if a gay relationship is deemed an unfit environment for children than it is regarded as a deviant relationship and each party is therefore a second class citizen. You cant say gay is ok but not for children that is extremely offensive.

I disagree. Not every person can adopt on certain grounds, that doesn't mean that they are second class citizens for not having the correct parenting credentials. In fact it would be absurd. Adoption is not a right, it is something that one can apply for and based on their credentials to parent a child they might be given permission to do so.

I don't think that adoption agencies should be encouraging family units without a mother and a father to adopt. That's my personal view on the matter.

My views may be offensive, but that is no proper reason for me to retract them. It isn't my sole intention to cause offence by posting on this thread. People will have different views, and some will be offensive to the other, that's a fact of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I believe that children should have both a mother and a father in their development.
    I can't believe I'm about to wade into this pointless debate, but, as has been repeatedly pointed out, there are many reasons for why a child may lack either a mother or a father. That doesn't make their family any less legitimate, or any less deserving or state recognition and protection. Ideals are all well and good, but governments should legislate for the reality. It would be great if mothers and fathers never died, or never shirked their responsibilities and abandoned their role as a parent, but it happens. And no amount of wishful idealism will change that fact.

Adoption is not a right, it is something that one can apply for and based on their credentials to parent a child they might be given permission to do so.

Ok this makes sense and yes gay couple are only asking for consideration not to be given a child as soon as they get married
    I don't think that adoption agencies should be encouraging family units without a mother and a father to adopt. That's my personal view on the matter.

A single person can raise a child, two people is better as it shares the work. Traditional roles are dated and to say that a child has to have a mother, for what??? to cook?, clean?. A father, For what?, to kick a ball, bring to football practice, earn money? All these things can be done by either sex. As well as that many women are going back to work and the man is taking over domestic duties as this may make sense if she earns more money or wants wants to work.
    My views may be offensive, but that is no proper reason for me to detract them. It isn't my sole intention to cause offence by posting on this thread. People will have different views, and some will be offensive to the other, that's a fact of life.

In any case many lesbian couples are going to have children anyway so I feel that society should prepare for this as any bigotry will only affect the children and there should be zero tolerance to this.

A single person can raise a child, two people is better as it shares the work. Traditional roles are dated and to say that a child has to have a mother, for what??? to cook?, clean?. A father, For what?, to kick a ball, bring to football practice, earn money? All these things can be done by either sex. As well as that many women are going back to work and the man is taking over domestic duties as this may make sense if she earns more money or wants wants to work.

This is where I disagree with you. I don't feel that the different roles that mothers and fathers play are all that "dated" altogether.

I also disagree with the notion that a woman can effectively replace a father, or that a man can effectively replace a mother.

I guess those are two major differences in how you and I view family. By gender roles in a family, I am not referring to domestic roles or anything like that. I am referring to the impact on children of having male role model who is active in their lives, and a female role model who is active in their lives, both contributing to their understanding of gender, both contributing in discipline, both contributing in teaching key concepts such as language. There are studies out there that suggest that the different ways in which mothers and fathers act contribute in childhood development. These different ways in which those of either gender act have nothing to do with whether the mother works, or any of that.
    In any case many lesbian couples are going to have children anyway so I feel that society should prepare for this as any bigotry will only affect the children and there should be zero tolerance to this.

So just because certain family structures exist means that they are just as beneficial as others are?

As for zero tolerance towards bigotry. What do you define as bigotry? People who don't agree that homosexual marriage should be legalised, or outright hatred of homosexuals for who they are? There is a very fine line to be discussed in relation to "bigotry". If you could clear this up it would be much easier to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

I disagree. Not every person can adopt on certain grounds, that doesn't mean that they are second class citizens for not having the correct parenting credentials. In fact it would be absurd.

I absolutely agree with this when it comes to a child waiting in an adoption agency who has not met a family.
    My issue with the current civil union bill is that it does not provide next of kin rights for already existing families. Right now, there are families that are outside of your family ideal.
    I am not referring to children who are 'awaiting adoption', but kids who are already part of and have bonded with, an existing family unit.
    Do you regard these already existing same-sex family units as a family in any way ? Would you want support for them?

Earlier in the thread there was mention of the next of kin rights, and you seemed unfamiliar with the point. Do you know that the Civil Union bill does not provide gay couples with next of kin rights?
    There is no legal support for any extreme eventualities in the bill, should as a hypothetical example, the biological mother be involved in an accident and in a coma, the partner, having no next of kin rights, does not have any say in their partner's wellbeing. Meanwhile they also have no legal right to remain as guardian over the child.
    What do you make of that scenario? Without mentioning the biological father, please.

Absolutely. It's vital to give a child waiting in an agency the best possible chance of a good life with a loving family. I think anyone would be mad to dispute that. But thats an adoption agency, who I imagine would and should ensure that the child is going to the fittest family, regardless of same-sex adoption being legal or not.
    In the real world there are also kids who are already part of existing families, and these families want to ensure the law will support them for all eventualities. It's quite possible for a mixed-gender couple to do this. Currently, same sex couples are unable to get the support they need for their children.
    Adoption is not a right, it is something that one can apply for and based on their credentials to parent a child they might be given permission to do so.
    Adoption from an agency is most certainly not a right. But to blankedly refuse all same-sex couples as possible candidates doesn't add up , to me.

By gender roles in a family, I am not referring to domestic roles or anything like that. I am referring to the impact on children of having male role model who is active in their lives, and a female role model who is active in their lives, both contributing to their understanding of gender, both contributing in discipline, both contributing in teaching key concepts such as language.
    Your emphasis on the importance of gender roles and their effect on a child are extremely tenuous, at best.

Gender roles are exactly that, they are roles. Understanding of gender is entirely subjective, it is not objective as you think. There are societies that recognise more than two genders.
    I don't see how having male/female parents has any bearing on discipline. Can you elaborate on that point?
    A child learns language regardless of the gender of their parents, and a child learns language from far more sources than their parents. What is it about having male/female parents that you feel affects the development in a child in such an area as language? And how exactly does having a same-sex couple seemingly negatively affect this?

The gender roles you are referring to are just social habits that can be learned and unlearned in a heartbeat.

My views may be offensive, but that is no proper reason for me to retract them. It isn't my sole intention to cause offence by posting on this thread. People will have different views, and some will be offensive to the other, that's a fact of life.
    Thanks for being open to discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

I can't believe I'm about to wade into this pointless debate

I think it's easy to see it that way, it's what usually keeps me from getting involved in these discussions. But then again, we're not the only ones involved in this discussion. Who knows who could be reading this and looking at the issues, maybe for the first time.

It's just a stupid thread on a website, I could think, and turn a blind eye to discussion. But if anyone has a logical and insightful point like the one you mentioned, I'd really encourage people to say it.

The benefit of the internet is that it's easier (though clearly not impossible) to keep emotional reactions at bay. It gives us a chance to look at the real issues that prevent people from wanting us to have equal rights. They have genuine reasons, if we can find those reasons and address them logically we are on the right track.
    We are also learning what the barriers are, instead of just getting angry with people for not agreeing with us.

We should be thankful for people like Jakkass who are prepared to engage in discussion without reacting, who are prepared to weigh what people are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

I feel its best if i answer Iwasfrozen's original question.

True protests don't force the government to call for a referendum on gay marriage, however they do alert the public that people, no matter how many there are, that we (the LGBT comu) are upset with the current situation on the matter.
    This allows for others who may not have been aware of the situation to form opinions, after obtaining the proper information on the matter which most of the time are given through media coverage, and that way can better the chance of the LGBT community getting what they want.

This is why protests are held.

I would also just like to say that i may only be 20 but i know that in the future i want a child. The thought of being told due to a sentence or two, that i can't just because i sleep with a man makes me feel sick.
    I respect your opinion on the matter,
    But i will have a child no matter what even if it means i must have one through a surrogate mother, meaning of course, the mother will never be there for him/her. surely it would be better to be able to adopt and give an already existing child a better life than being cooped up in some old home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Interesting that Iwasfrozen just left this discussion

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Gay adoption is wrong but any scumbag can become a parent.

Baby P's mother and her sadistic boyfriend have been named for the first time after a court order keeping their identities secret expired.Tracey Connelly, 28,and Steven Barker, 33, were responsible for the death of 17-month-old Peter Connelly in his blood-spattered room in August 2007.

He had suffered 50 injuries, including fractured ribs and a broken back.

It can also be disclosed that the third defendant in the case, Jason Owen, 37, is Barker's brother and that the pair were also accused of assaulting their own grandmother.

Connelly and Barker, of Tottenham, north London, were sentenced in May for causing or allowing Peter's death.

Father-of-four Owen was also jailed for the same offence, which took place while he was staying at Peter's home.

The semi-detached house was filthy and dead animals - snake food - were left lying around the house, along with pornography.

Connelly's two dogs and Barker's rottweiler Kaiser, which was used to terrify Peter, also lived there.

Doctors, social workers and police failed to save Peter despite him being on the Haringey Council child protection register.

After the trio's Old Bailey trial ended in November last year, there was public outrage at the way Peter was let down by the authorities.

All three defendants were cleared of murder

Untense: Just to let you know, I am not neglecting your points, I just need some time to gather some source material together to deal with the influence and impact of both mothers and fathers within families. Please be patient with me :)

As promised:
    I absolutely agree with this when it comes to a child waiting in an adoption agency who has not met a family.
    My issue with the current civil union bill is that it does not provide next of kin rights for already existing families. Right now, there are families that are outside of your family ideal.

Okay. I'm aware of this.
    I am not referring to children who are 'awaiting adoption', but kids who are already part of and have bonded with, an existing family unit.
    Do you regard these already existing same-sex family units as a family in any way ? Would you want support for them?

I would regard them as a family unit, but one that is not ideal for a child to be raised in. I feel that the nuclear family should be incentivised through taxes as the Conservative Party in the UK has advocated.
    Earlier in the thread there was mention of the next of kin rights, and you seemed unfamiliar with the point. Do you know that the Civil Union bill does not provide gay couples with next of kin rights?
    There is no legal support for any extreme eventualities in the bill, should as a hypothetical example, the biological mother be involved in an accident and in a coma, the partner, having no next of kin rights, does not have any say in their partner's wellbeing. Meanwhile they also have no legal right to remain as guardian over the child.
    What do you make of that scenario? Without mentioning the biological father, please.

I wasn't aware of this until MYOB brought it up. A letter I had read in the Irish Times led me to believe otherwise.

You say no reference to the biological father, but I feel that it is important to take into account. Personally I would prefer if both the biological father and the other partner were given joint custody. If the biological father is deceased I would support a male member of the mothers family to take joint custody.
    Absolutely. It's vital to give a child waiting in an agency the best possible chance of a good life with a loving family. I think anyone would be mad to dispute that. But thats an adoption agency, who I imagine would and should ensure that the child is going to the fittest family, regardless of same-sex adoption being legal or not.
    In the real world there are also kids who are already part of existing families, and these families want to ensure the law will support them for all eventualities. It's quite possible for a mixed-gender couple to do this. Currently, same sex couples are unable to get the support they need for their children.

This doesn't stop me from hoping the Government puts measures in place so that the vast majority of children will be able to live in family units with both a mother and a father.
    Adoption from an agency is most certainly not a right. But to blankedly refuse all same-sex couples as possible candidates doesn't add up , to me.

I think it should be restricted to couples with both a mother and a father figure.
    Your emphasis on the importance of gender roles and their effect on a child are extremely tenuous, at best.

No it isn't.

This is from "The Role of the Father in Child Development"

From page 70:
    Father communication was correlated with childrens' communication skills and in turn was linked to childhood behaviour problems. (Fagan & Inglesias 2000)
    Paternal sensitivity was positively related to socialisation whereas restrictiveness was negatively related to childhood communication, socialisation (interpersonal relationships, play and leisure and coping skills) and daily living skills. (Kelley et al 1998)
    Paternal warmth was associated with pro-social behaviours while control and discipline from fathers and father figures led to better school behaviours among 3rd and 4th grade children (Coley, 1998)
    Close relationships and support from fathers were related to self-esteem and lower depressive symptoms in adolescents (Furstenberg & Harris 1993, Zimmerman et al 1995) whereas the lack of a close relationship with fathers did result in greater depressive symptoms in African-American girls. (Coley & Chase-Lansdale 2002).
    A general trend is that African-American children who live in father present homes do better in school and have more supportive home environments than do those from father absent homes.

page 309:
    White boys were affected by father absence more than were black boys and white boys from homes where a father was in residence. Only 9% of the white boys from father-present homes were rated by their mothers as "note liked by their peers", whereas over 25% of the white boys from father-absent homes were unpopular with their age mates. Similarly there was some evidence that white girls from father absent homes were at a behavioural disadvantage in comparison with white girls in homes with fathers.

Tenuous? I don't think so. I have had more difficulty finding material on the maternal impact on the child, but I have a few journals yet to read on the subject lined up.
    Gender roles are exactly that, they are roles. Understanding of gender is entirely subjective, it is not objective as you think. There are societies that recognise more than two genders.
    I don't see how having male/female parents has any bearing on discipline. Can you elaborate on that point?
    A child learns language regardless of the gender of their parents, and a child learns language from far more sources than their parents. What is it about having male/female parents that you feel affects the development in a child in such an area as language? And how exactly does having a same-sex couple seemingly negatively affect this?

The point is that families with both a mother and a father are more beneficial to the child. I am not convinced that families with two of the same gender are just as capable of raising a child than families with both a mother and a father are.

I have already stated that there is ground for compromise which has been received with very little response on this thread:
    Jakkass wrote:
    If there was a possibility whereby the child could have a third parent if you will to serve as the mother or father in that childs life on a regular basis I might be more open to the possibility of LGBT family structures.
    The gender roles you are referring to are just social habits that can be learned and unlearned in a heartbeat.

This would be dismissing the evidence that families with a mother and a father are positive on the child. I understand that you don't like that there are studies out there that do put forward the view that having a mother and a father is beneficial to the child. However, I feel we have to deal with the reality here.
    Thanks for being open to discussion.

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I think it should be restricted to couples with both a mother and a father figure.

You do realise a single parent can adopt a child in this country? I don't see anyone complaining about that. How can two loving parents be worse than one?

In my opinion you have misinterpreted this research and taken it out of context to suit your argument. They are talking about divorced parents and absentee fathers. This research is basically about the benefits of two parents instead of a single parent or broken home. This in no way proves that two loving parents of the same gender can't provide exactly the same stable environment. I think same-sex couples make much more effort to ensure their child has plenty of role models of the other gender.

What's really needed is what's called step-parent adoption. The other non-biological parent who is married to the biological parent should be allowed adopt the child. There are already lots and lots of people out there in that situation, and there will be more as time goes on. That is the priority, not adopting random children from agencies. You can't expect there to always be a biological father, there is anonymous sperm donation.

Do you think that those children should remain at risk if something should happen to their biological parent and their non-biological parent is left with no legal rights? Do you think "incentivising" a heterosexual family is more important than the well being of those children? That they should be left in turmoil if something goes wrong, just so that heterosexual families can feel like they're getting a bargain with their tax breaks if they have kids?

Do you really think giving tax breaks to heterosexual families to the exclusion of homosexual families, will somehow make heterosexual families want to get married and have kids more? Why should one group in society suffer to make the other group look more appealing? These are not groups you join by choice, you're born into them, so I fail to see why heterosexual marriages need to be incentivised over homosexual marriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This research is basically about the benefits of two parents instead of a single parent or broken home. This in no way proves that two loving parents of the same gender can't provide exactly the same stable environment.
    On that note, Jakkass, is there any research out there that compares children of opposite-sex parents with those of same-sex parents? I'm genuinely interested.

(Also, is there any reason as to why you didn't answer my previous questions in this thread?)

• Advertisement

You do realise a single parent can adopt a child in this country? I don't see anyone complaining about that. How can two loving parents be worse than one?

Read what I have written before. I would prefer if adoption were restricted to families that can provide both a mother and a father.
    In my opinion you have misinterpreted this research and taken it out of context to suit your argument. They are talking about divorced parents and absentee fathers. This research is basically about the benefits of two parents instead of a single parent or broken home. This in no way proves that two loving parents of the same gender can't provide exactly the same stable environment. I think same-sex couples make much more effort to ensure their child has plenty of role models of the other gender.

Again, this is dismissing the fact that it discusses father-absent homes, and the benefits that fathers bring to families. A family with two mothers is just as father absent as a family with one mother. I have yet to investigate into the role of the mother on the child, but I assume that there are benefits in having a mother involved in a childs life.
    What's really needed is what's called step-parent adoption. The other non-biological parent who is married to the biological parent should be allowed adopt the child. There are already lots and lots of people out there in that situation, and there will be more as time goes on. That is the priority, not adopting random children from agencies. You can't expect there to always be a biological father, there is anonymous sperm donation.

As for anonymous sperm donation, again, I wouldn't be in support of this. If one is to commit to being a father one should give their identity. In Sweden they have a policy that the fathers information should be given to the child when they reach 18. I think that is entirely fair, and I think that there should be some way for that contact to be established. I think if one is willing to father anothers child, one should also be prepared to take responsibility for that child.
    Do you think that those children should remain at risk if something should happen to their biological parent and their non-biological parent is left with no legal rights? Do you think "incentivising" a heterosexual family is more important than the well being of those children? That they should be left in turmoil if something goes wrong, just so that heterosexual families can feel like they're getting a bargain with their tax breaks if they have kids?

Incentivising the nuclear family comes first as it is the most beneficial structure for a child to be raised in.

I've already explained, that in situations where there are LGBT families I would be willing to compromise if there was a third parent if you will, from another gender actively involved in the childs life. I do think it is crucially important to have both a mother and a father in a childs life, and I think it is their right.
    Do you really think giving tax breaks to heterosexual families to the exclusion of homosexual families, will somehow make heterosexual families want to get married and have kids more? Why should one group in society suffer to make the other group look more appealing? These are not groups you join by choice, you're born into them, so I fail to see why heterosexual marriages need to be incentivised over homosexual marriages.

I never said that children shouldn't receive assistance in unconventional family units, but that families with a mother and a father should be seen as the best environment for children to be raised in and encouraged above others.

I don't think it is "suffering" for other structures. There are already tax incentives for single mothers, and with this new legislation LGBT couples. I just suggest that couples with both mothers and fathers should receive a larger amount of tax incentives as this situation is optimal for the child.

Advertisement