Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in my Apartment Block. Can't get ntl.

Options
  • 16-10-2009 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I just moved into my apartment block and went to ring ntl to get broadband. they told me i can't get them cause the apartment block owners signed a contract with another company.

so I rang Bt they said sorry we can't deal with you try vodafone as we dont do broadband anymore so rang magnet they said because there are old lines coming into my apartment block it would be 55euro for 10broadband wit no telly and I have to switch from eircom to them saying that I have to reactivate the line just to switch.

So now Im at a lose I just want tv and decent broadband thats all I want Ive been using 02 for 2 years and I cant take it anymore really I can't so slow it is.

is there anyone else I can ring I'd take anything even if it didnt have tv like.I read it the paper yesterday wimax broadband will be up and running by the end of next month ?

should I wait..... to get them ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Imagine Wimax won't be broadband, it'll be a little better than 3G, and coverage will be the most important thing to check out before considering it.

If you want DSL, you're going to need to get the line activated by eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Do you know who your block owner signed the agreement with?

What rough location are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I'd say the block owner signed with sky who else is there other then them and ntl.

Im in heauton station across the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

cable842 wrote: »
    I'd say the block owner signed with sky who else is there other then them and ntl.

Several companies provide TV & broadband services in Apartment blocks, have a look at boards posts baout Sky Conway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It could be: sky, upc (ntl), Smart, Magnet, homevision, sky conway and a gaggle of other small cable and sat providers.

• Advertisement

turns out I have eircome broadband but its not connected. so I have to choose now which broadband I want and which is the best value and speed.

who to choose ireland has terrible broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frlinux

turns out I have eircome broadband but its not connected. so I have to choose now which broadband I want and which is the best value and speed.

who to choose ireland has terrible broadband

My advice to you, keep away from NTL. Been with them 7 days now, speed is fine and as advertised during day time in the week, then at night and week ends, it slows down to worse than 3g (o2 in my experience). I am not pulling this out of my hat, I have graphs to correlate this : http://frlinux.net/weblog/ntl_week_latency_oct09.png.

Get your DSL line activated by eircom, do not sign up for broadband with them and check if you can get your line ported to Magnet or Smart, if your exchange is enabled. Where do you live, that might help narrowing it down (especially if by any chance, you know your exchange).

My 2 cents

Im based in park gate street dublin 8.

I found out that i have old wires coming into the park gate st

(1) Magnet said I can switch to them but 55euro for 10mbs with 5 channels that I can only watch on the laptop. Thats a lot of cash I dont have.

(2) Smart not rang them yet but will give them a call.

is there anyone else based in that area. it is something to do with the exchange your right mate

Im based in park gate street dublin 8.

I found out that i have old wires coming into the park gate st

(1) Magnet said I can switch to them but 55euro for 10mbs with 5 channels that I can only watch on the laptop. Thats a lot of cash I dont have.

(2) Smart not rang them yet but will give them a call.

is there anyone else based in that area. it is something to do with the exchange your right mate

I mean, if you are looking for impeccable service, these are the two I'd recommend. Smart has better low rates: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx

Hopes this helps.
    Steph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

frlinux wrote: »
    My advice to you, keep away from NTL. Been with them 7 days now, speed is fine and as advertised during day time in the week, then at night and week ends, it slows down to worse than 3g (o2 in my experience). I am not pulling this out of my hat, I have graphs to correlate this : http://frlinux.net/weblog/ntl_week_latency_oct09.png.
    I don't think I've ever noticed any slowdown at nighttime and weekends with NTL/UPC. So far, the service has been as good as my previous ISP, Smart Telecom... i.e. very good indeed.

• Advertisement

zynaps wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever noticed any slowdown at nighttime and weekends with NTL/UPC. So far, the service has been as good as my previous ISP, Smart Telecom... i.e. very good indeed.

That begs the question, which area are you in and which package did you subscribe to? I live in the liberties (Dublin 8) and my package is 20Mb...

That begs the question, which area are you in and which package did you subscribe to? I live in the liberties (Dublin 8) and my package is 20Mb...
    I'm on the 10mb package in Killester, Dublin 5. Did a test a few mins ago and was getting just under* 10mbits, and that's with uTorrent fiddling away in the background.
    I don't know how UPC handle contention; maybe they've oversold in your area (although why would it slow down at night time - do you mean evenings when everyone gets home from work and starts hitting Youtube etc?).

Smart would definitely be my second choice if UPC wasn't an option here - the only downside is the ridiculously high line rental fee (which isn't their fault, but ouch) - the service was always good with them in my last place in Dublin 1.

* By just under, I mean 9696kbit

is there a cap with smart telecom ? I thought smart are finished and they are broke ?
    I mean, if you are looking for impeccable service, these are the two I'd recommend. Smart has better low rates: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx

Hopes this helps.
    Steph

is there a cap with smart telecom ? I thought smart are finished and they are broke ?
    Back when I was with them (until late 2007) iirc they had a rule of 'up to 1TB is fine', but now they have a 30-day sliding window limit of 170GB. I don't think they specified whether they would do anything other than send a notification email that traffic usage is a bit high when this limit is passed.

zynaps wrote: »
    I don't know how UPC handle contention; maybe they've oversold in your area (although why would it slow down at night time - do you mean evenings when everyone gets home from work and starts hitting Youtube etc?).

Yes, the line is usually fairly unusable from 7pm until 1am which makes it pretty useless to me. For the first time yesterday, i was able to do some proper gaming because i played between 1 and 3am...

When i had Magnet and Smart, i never had a problem with latency and contention, these are very good providers.

Well don't sell the cat skin just yet. They entered examinership on the first of september: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/media/09-09-01/Smart_Telecom_to_enter_Examinership.aspx

As far as I've heard, several providers expressed interest to take over. So I believe the customer base will remain the same.

so right Im ringing smart. but is there a cap on there download limit ?

so right Im ringing smart. but is there a cap on there download limit ?

Yes, but right now, they're not enforcing it: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3340

Advertisement