Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not sure there is an official version of 1.6 for the Hero - I'm hoping they bypass it and release 2.0 with Sense

No 1.6 - I think the consensus is that HTC are skipping 1.6 and aiming for 2.0 - which makes sense

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

considering android 1.6 is only out, 2.0 is still in the works, it'll be another few months til android 2.0 is released. also a bit surprising to see that virtually any other htc model under the hero CANNOT run android 2.0. definately getting a hero soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So this 2.0 update could greatly improve the Hero? Would it be worth holding off on buying a new handset until the update is confirmed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

From the HTC heads in Europa
    Dear HTC customer,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.

The Hero will not be receiving the Android 1.6 upgrade, it will however get the 2.0 one. Do note however that we do not have a confirmed release date for this upgrade, all I can recommend at the moment is that you keep yourself updated by visiting our website regularly as the latest information will be available to view from there.

Best regards,
    HTC customer support team
    HTC Corp. Global Service Division

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks mate, knew I wasn't hearing things :P Sorted :D

• Advertisement

My finger is hovering over the buy button on Expansys... Should I wait and see what price Meteor are selling it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

2.0 is expected to be released in the next couple of days on a verizone/motorola handset http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/motorola-droid-first-hands-on/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

considering android 1.6 is only out, 2.0 is still in the works, it'll be another few months til android 2.0 is released. also a bit surprising to see that virtually any other htc model under the hero CANNOT run android 2.0. definately getting a hero soon.

Moto's Droid is out next week and that has 2.0. Interesting that Verizon's HTC Droid Eris -which has the same processor as the Hero - is only going to be shipping with 1.5.

but sure 1.6 is only out!

unless they've been working on both simultaneously :P

So this 2.0 update could greatly improve the Hero? Would it be worth holding off on buying a new handset until the update is confirmed?

No point in holding off as you can upgrade when it comes out. In the mean time there is a good custom rom (modaco) that is regularly updated - probably everyone here with a hero is using the modaco rom. HTC have also released the kernel sources, so the custom side should have alot more freedom to modify the standard code base.

• Advertisement

My finger is hovering over the buy button on Expansys... Should I wait and see what price Meteor are selling it for?

The info you are looking for is contained in the following thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62737910#post62737910

Moto's Droid is out next week and that has 2.0. Interesting that Verizon's HTC Droid Eris -which has the same processor as the Hero - is only going to be shipping with 1.5.

HTC have their own version of android with the Sense UI. This is build around 1.5. Sense UI is great - and well worth having a phone with it rather than vanilla 2.0 android imo.

The info you are looking for is contained in the following thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62737910#post62737910

Cool, thanks dude

rizzee wrote: »

That is the current 1.5 ROM

One final question (and I've searched in this thread and not seen an answer):

Has anyone unlocked their Hero over the internet on one of the many sites available? I'd be a bit apprehensive giving out the phone's IMEI number.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

whats the second ROM on that page for?

That is the current 1.5 ROM

I meant thats were the upgrades WILL be available when they are, sorry :)

and the other is Orange specific? Does that mean that we could not update using those?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Talking of 1.5 versus 1.6 does anyone know if the vendors will be releasing firmware updates for the most recent releases of Android?

The reason I'm asking is because of todays announcement of Android 2.0 and it's built in free Google Maps Navigation.

I.E. Have HTC released an Android 1.5/6 ROM update for the Dream or Magic.

I really hope they do as it'd really suck if inside 3months of the handset being released a major firmware release was to stoneage it despite the handset being upgradeable.

• Advertisement

paddy2k wrote: »
    Talking of 1.5 versus 1.6 does anyone know if the vendors will be releasing firmware updates for the most recent releases of Android?

The reason I'm asking is because of todays announcement of Android 2.0 and it's built in free Google Maps Navigation.

I.E. Have HTC released an Android 1.5/6 ROM update for the Dream or Magic.

I really hope they do as it'd really suck if inside 3months of the handset being released a major firmware release was to stoneage it despite the handset being upgradeable.

As far as i know the magic and dream use standard android. So you should be able to upgrade to 1.6.

On the other hand, your hardware might not be up to the task of running 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I have an american G1 with vanilla android and received 1.1, 1.5 and 1.6 OTA. However with the Hero and it's custom UI presumably it'd take HTC a lot longer to create an updated build.

Found this page that answered my question http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unveiled-htc-skips-android-1-6-upgrade-for-the-hero-in-favor-of-android-2-0&5181

According to HTC's helpdesk the Hero won't be getting 1.6 but will get an update to Android 2.0.

paddy2k wrote: »
    Found this page that answered my question http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unveiled-htc-skips-android-1-6-upgrade-for-the-hero-in-favor-of-android-2-0&5181

According to HTC's helpdesk the Hero won't be getting 1.6 but will get an update to Android 2.0.

Dude, that email originated on this thread. Read back...

Still, it's great news. So its settled then the Heros from Meteor coming out next week will have Android 1.5 on them, and will be able to update to 2.0 when its available, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Will be in 3G Mobile, Carphone and Meteor with 1.5

Dude, that email originated on this thread. Read back...
    My bad, sorry, was browsing from Opera Mini earlier so didn't get to read all of todays responses to the thread.

anyone have opinion on the moto droid and whether its worth waiting for over the hero?

Slipshaney wrote: »
    anyone have opinion on the moto droid and whether its worth waiting for over the hero?

I have an opinion on everything!

It took nearly 2 years for an Irish carrier to get Android & 6 months for us to get the Hero - If you want to wait indefinately, please fire ahead, but you might be waiting till you next upgrade...

The droid seems powerful, has a good solid keyboard. The Hero has slightly less impressive spec, but the HTC Sense UI, which is a big bonus.

If I were you, I'd wait until another more powerful phone is released with 3.0...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Slipshaney wrote: »

You might want to wait for the rumored HTC dragon/snapdragon/passion or what ever its called now, the Android-counterpart to the HTC HD2
    1Ghz chipset, 800x600 rez, capactive screen, android 2.0!!! :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement