Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boards.ie Terms of Use and Privacy Policy - your feedback welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

el judìo wrote: »
    What is the point of this?
    Was a real need identified or was it just a slow month in the boards.ie offices?

Ha, I wish it was a slow month! The point of this is just like every other site out there, to have Terms of use that protect users and clarify the rules and guidelines of this site.

The amount of legal threats and queries we get on a weekly basis would surprise you.
    Boards is supposed to be fun, its not supposed to come with a contract.

Can you point me to just one thing in the Terms of Use that prevents you from doing something you're allowed to do today, that changes the site or that would stop you from using the site?

Overheal wrote: »
    I worry it will just act to Supersede the Charters and the Mods will just point at it to ban people with too. But then, Boards is a legal entity, and you do need a T&C. There's not much way around that.

This is an accompanying document to the charters.

Once again, where in the TOU is there a ban on doing anything that you are currently allowed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Darragh, I mean no offense to you personally but as a "communications manager" I think you need to work on the tone of your communications in this thread. You are coming across (IMO) as obnoxious and passive-aggressive.
    Darragh wrote: »
    Ha, I wish it was a slow month! The point of this is just like every other site out there, to have Terms of use that protect users and clarify the rules and guidelines of this site.

The amount of legal threats and queries we get on a weekly basis would surprise you.

Can you point me to just one thing in the Terms of Use that prevents you from doing something you're allowed to do today, that changes the site or that would stop you from using the site?
    Unsure what this is supposed to mean. Its clear that I did not suggest that this will limit my ability to do specific things. Just that its a shame that the site has to go this way with so much red-tape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

That's a lot of words right there Jazzy, but would you like to show where you see these documents affecting the site and how it's " turning the site into a day-glo 50's american small town with the village elders"

I mean, specifically, here, please.

i dont think you get it.

el Judio wrote:
    What is the point of this?
    Was a real need identified or was it just a slow month in the boards.ie offices?

Of course the lonely yet smug bureaucracy lovers & red tape fetishists will love this one.
    Boards is supposed to be fun, its not supposed to come with a contract.

pretty much that.
    Overheal wrote:
    I worry it will just act to Supersede the Charters and the Mods will just point at it to ban people with too.

and that.

its the idea. the constitution. you are granting a license to those who love to express their authority to do so candidly. another site i was on tried to do the same and they came up with all these rules and charters and authority figures and stretched the red tape right around and guess what, it died. these documents are very patronising and only really seem to elevate those with power higher and those without, lower. as i said, boards is already a personality cult and all you are going to do is put that underlined and in bold. i dont want to feel like im under a magnifying glass because some mods have issues as to who and where they are and then make up for that here, because that is what happens (with the minority, not the majority. most mods are good).
    i dunno, if you cant understand the depth of the point im trying to make or are going to continue calling it trolling then i personally don't feel you are qualified to be doing the job you are doing

el judìo wrote: »
    Darragh, I mean no offense to you personally ... I think you need to work on the tone of your communications in this thread. You are coming across (IMO) as obnoxious and passive-aggressive.

Erm, thanks for the feedback. Tone is quite difficult to convey in text. Apologies for how I appeared to be interacting with you - no offense - or defence - was intended.

I know what you mean about " its a shame that the site has to go this way with so much red-tape" but we really have no choice here. Not only is the legal situation one that we have to deal with daily, but with the continued success of Google and growth of the internet, more and more people are taking things written on the internet seriously and personally. Never a good thing.

It was suggested that we summarise the entire document into our first Guideline - "Don't be a dick". Not a bad suggestion, I think.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    i dont think you get it.

pretty much that.

and that.

its the idea. the constitution. you are granting a license to those who love to express their authority to do so candidly. another site i was on tried to do the same and they came up with all these rules and charters and authority figures and stretched the red tape right around and guess what, it died. these documents are very patronising and only really seem to elevate those with power higher and those without, lower. as i said, boards is already a personality cult and all you are going to do is put that underlined and in bold. i dont want to feel like im under a magnifying glass because some mods have issues as to who and where they are and then make up for that here, because that is what happens (with the minority, not the majority. most mods are good).
    i dunno, if you cant understand the depth of the point im trying to make or are going to continue calling it trolling then i personally don't feel you are qualified to be doing the job you are doing

But you see, you're still not giving me specific examples here.
    these documents are very patronising

Can you show me where, please?
    only really seem to elevate those with power higher and those without, lower

And can you show me where they do this, as well please?

Moderators will be subject to these rules the same as everyone else.
    boards is already a personality cult

Can you elaborate on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Maybe I'm being simplistic, I dunno.

I have no doubt that there needs to be a usage policy of sorts on this site, but didn't we always have something along a similiar line in terms of sitewide rules and policies anyway? Wouldn't it be in order to duplicate these, in a TOU format, and pad out as appropriate?

I assume the ultimate driver of this is to keep guys like this happy:
    31NM76DSRQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

On another note, how can it be that posts can be both the property of boards.ie (in that they can use them as they see fit), and yet the responsibility of the user?

I can understand the latter totally, but we were always told that our posts were our own, and if someone submits a short story, or as someone else exemplified, a vB hack or piece of code, as many do, they now give up any and all rights for doing so?

This is a community, as I'm sure everyone is aware, and as such there is something of a symbiosis between the critical mass of users and the hosting costs involved, due to the happy fact of advertising, and latterly customer interaction as well. Most people don't post here for the love of boards as a uniform and legal entity; they do so for the friends they have here, the problems they seek help with, the solutions they offer, in short, the whole ball of wax.

The language here (which I know isn't unique) seems to indicate that every post is submitted to the altar of boards itself, rather than the congregation. I'd hope that isn't the intention, as it makes those running the site appear to have a grandiose view of what it is, what its function is, and the role it plays to many people, which, and I hope I don't cause offence, is in the majority of cases, a trivial one, occupying a place somewhere within playing tetris and watching Corrie, in terms of daily activity.

Maybe I'm being simplistic, I dunno.

I have no doubt that there needs to be a usage policy of sorts on this site, but didn't we always have something along a similiar line in terms of sitewide rules and policies anyway? Wouldn't it be in order to duplicate these, in a TOU format, and pad out as appropriate?

To be honest, I think that's what we've done to the best of our ability.

On another note, how can it be that posts can be both the property of boards.ie (in that they can use them as they see fit), and yet the responsibility of the user?

I can understand the latter totally, but we were always told that our posts were our own, and if someone submits a short story, as many do, they now give up any and all rights for doing so?

That is a point that needs to be clarified.

Anything you submit to Boards.ie is your responsibility and you retain full copyright on all posts.

However, we may use a post, or a thread, or screenshot a page of the site for something like a presentation.

In every instance where possible we will make contact with the poster and ask permission. If permission isn't granted, we won't use it.

However, if we use something - for example to sell advertising over a forum - all we're saying here is that any indirect revenue that comes of that (so the advertiser buys advertising) goes to Boards.ie and not to the poster, unless there's a need for that to happen.

Clearer?
    This is a community, as I'm sure everyone is aware, and as such there is something of a symbiosis between the critical mass of users and the hosting costs involved, due to the happy fact of advertising, and latterly customer interaction as well. Most people don't post here for the love of boards as a uniform and legal entity; they do so for the friends they have here, the problems they seek help with, the solutions they offer, in short, the whole ball of wax.

The language here (which I know isn't unique) seems to indicate that every post is submitted to the altar of boards itself, rather than the congregation...

That's a fair point and I'm happy to take any suggestions on how we can improve that to make it clearer on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Overheal wrote: »
    I worry it will just act to Supersede the Charters and the Mods will just point at it to ban people with too. But then, Boards is a legal entity, and you do need a T&C. Theres not much way around that.

That could be a good thing though. It gives a more site-wide "rule book". I think it may lead to a more well maintained discussion board, as the rules will be officially written down. I think that's what I meant to say.

Sorry Darragh, I edited during your reply.
    Anything you submit to Boards.ie is your responsibility and you retain full copyright on all posts.

However, we may use a post, or a thread, or screenshot a page of the site for something like a presentation.

In every instance where possible we will make contact with the poster and ask permission. If permission isn't granted, we won't use it.

However, if we use something - for example to sell advertising over a forum - all we're saying here is that any indirect revenue that comes of that (so the advertiser buys advertising) goes to Boards.ie and not to the poster, unless there's a need for that to happen.

I wouldn't have a problem with the latter myself, and the bolded points above, are to me the salient ones. The original draft above seems to suggest differently, though I accept my reading of legalese was never the best.

If the above ethos was clarified in a redraft, I certainly, as one user wouldn't have an issue with any of the rest of it.

• Advertisement

boards is a personality cult due to the fact that everything has become about the different tiers. lets take an active example.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773205
    useless thread posted by a moderator that everyone will come into and go "oh you :D" and the generic circle jerk will go on.

if I posted that or any regular user did it would be locked and you may get a warning depending on the mod in question and how anal they are.
    that, at a basic level, is how this site has become a personality cult. its all about who you are as to whether you are actually worth listening to or replying to. devore could probably just randomly say "fart" in some thread somewhere and he'd get a load of 'thanks' for it and a good few comments simply because he is devore. it works from the top down and as said, this will only put the top higher.

you asked how that is sooooo:
    basically what you have written here is a contract that we have to abide to as long as we post here. im sure its lovely and makes sense and all but what you are missing is the idea and how that will effect ppl. it will give those with power a double backing. they already have the charter (and the circled wagons lest we forget) and now they are going to have a full blown legal contract. mods won't be interacted with as much, instead they will be feared. you either lick their butts or just don't talk or question them, ever. their opinion will have more weight behind it then any others and hence, its no longer a discussion site but rather a personality cult.

the documents are patronising because, sure they apparently need to exist or some such but im not sure of that one because how long have you guys been a private company and you are only getting round to this super important issue now? i don't buy that. i deviate, they are patronising as its very much a "oh yeah, in case you forgot who your daddy is, we are your collective daddys". what of the private forums? what of all the little cliques and such? is this going to be imposed on them just as much as everyone else? and you are controlling what ppl call themselves online now too or am i making that up? who decides that? are you qualified to know what is and isnt offensive or do we just have to trust your opinion? ill let you in on a little secret, opinions dont actually exist :) they are made up, they only exist in the fabric of thought. on this world there is right & wrong, true & false. shades of grey are just there to make ppl comfortable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In the hope that this may dispel some of the 'ownership of content' stuff being debated (this was explained rather well imo by Conor on the mod forum in a similar thread to this where we pretty much asked the same thing).

Basically it boils down to 'boards' as an entity retaining the right to reproduce what you posted to in order to serve it to others - for example, when you read this comment, boards has effectively re-produced and re-used my words in order to serve the page that you are now reading. Without that clause, boards would effectively have to ask my permission every time someone viewed this thread.

That's my take on it anyways.. I don't think there's anything sinister behind it, besides anything you post should be considered public domain as it can be viewed and used by anyone that has access to the internet (unless you're in China :D)

Jazzy: While you're not wrong in my view about an over emphasis on moderation here, it's as much by users as mods (more so when you look at the responses to that inconsequential thread, which is basically hot air from one or two people-not mods), and as such there's little DeV or the CMs can do about it.

In any case, I don't see how a TOU policy is going to make or break that-or how it could be relevant to same in any event. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

"defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others"

I used to post on boards under a different account - it got deleted actually lot's of them got deleted, I was being a general ass - spamming crap, pretty harmless stuff like cats go meow, dogs go bow bow, actually don't remember much as I was in a permanent alcoholic haze - yah for drink - well been off it for a few years.

Anyway a user name Devore took the information garnered from a very generous 50 euro paypal gift I made to boards to acertain my place of work - he then phoned my boss and lie'd to him - stating I had been abusive during work hours on boards and threatened legal action if it didn't stop.

Of course it came to nothing after logs or it didn't happen.

Anyway I believe he's like the head honcho, I also believe that his actions did all of the following

defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten.

now I was being a tit so fair play to him really, I just find it funny now.

But the owner ? uses boards to do all of the above well then stating blah blah you get the drift.

It's a bit pants isn't it.

I'll probably get banned for this lulz

MooseJam wrote: »

Anyway a user name Devore took the information garnered from a very generous 50 euro paypal gift I made to boards to acertain my place of work - he then phoned my boss and lie'd to him - stating I had been abusive during work hours on boards and threatened legal action if it didn't stop.

f**king lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi Darragh,I read both links You provided and found nothing from a Legal point of view that was not understandable.

I would have appreciated some response to My post #16.
    There is something very disconcerting about a site that refuses to let a member leave if they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hi Darragh,I read both links You provided and found nothing from a Legal point of view that was not understandable.

I would have appreciated some response to My post #16.
    There is something very disconcerting about a site that refuses to let a member leave if they want to?

It doesn't mention that you can't leave, it only states that accounts will not be deleted

I agree with you're point though.. there should be a new user-group set up which states clearly that the member has asked to cease using the site ie "Former Poster", and those accounts should be locked down

Yep, agreed - it's something we're looking at. Number of steps to complete.

Not ignoring anyone's posts, just logging off for the night - back tomorrow am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Am i right in thinking that there was always a Terms of Use and Privacy Policy for Boards and visible when signing up?

But must of us skip to the bottom and hit accept :)

Nothing major really is it.

I see this a Boards securing itself from outside attacks. As it gets bigger, legal letters arriving in the front door will get more frequent (and some for stupid reasons)

It doesn't mention that you can't leave, it only states that accounts will not be deleted

I agree with you're point though.. there should be a new user-group set up which states clearly that the member has asked to cease using the site ie "Former Poster", and those accounts should be locked down

Hi URL,thanks for the reply,I am not going to read both links again but it states that that you cannot leave as such but instead just dont log in or post again!

That makes no sense to me except to hold onto member numbers that are not really members even Years&years after a last post,even isp.s and phone companies are only obliged to keep records after three years.It does state that an account can be suspended after a long period of non use,but that still leaves boards being able to include dead,banned or people who dont wish to be counted as members still being so.Only thing i can figure is this must be for commercial reasons.

I may well be wrong but some answer to this would have been nice.

• Advertisement

Yep, agreed - it's something we're looking at. Number of steps to complete.

Not ignoring anyone's posts, just logging off for the night - back tomorrow am.

Hmmmmmmmmmm Darragh,ya were not ignoring anyones posts just not answering them in sequence,more the 'important' ones first?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hi URL,thanks for the reply,I am not going to read both links again but it states that that you cannot leave as such but instead just dont log in or post again!

That makes no sense to me except to hold onto member numbers that are not really members even Years&years after a last post,even isp.s and phone companies are only obliged to keep records after three years.It does state that an account can be suspended after a long period of non use,but that still leaves boards being able to include dead,banned or people who dont wish to be counted as members still being so.Only thing i can figure is this must be for commercial reasons.

I may well be wrong but some answer to this would have been nice.

I get what you're saying, but at the end of the day it's site traffic that matters to commercial partners, not the number of registered users. I'm not saying that it doesn't help boards to have a high number when it comes to registered users but essentially it's not worth anything if nobody is using the site

edit/ I think the fact that accounts are not removed is more to do with how it affects the database than anything else

I get what you're saying, but at the end of the day it's site traffic that matters to commercial partners, not the number of registered users. I'm not saying that it doesn't help boards to have a high number when it comes to registered users but essentially it's not worth anything if nobody is using the site

edit/ I think the fact that accounts are not removed is more to do with how it affects the database than anything else

Other sites can do this and cope with their database.If it IS for commercial reasons then a simple admission of that by boards i think would be welcomed by a "fair play to You" by most of us:)

another niggle i had was when personal issues were being 'botted' to the front page of Twitter.Thaed deleted some posts{quite rightly so IMO,but got a B..llocking from an Admin}

Innocent though it might have been of them most of those PI,s posters most likely thought they were posting on boards only,so no harm that they be let know of the facts before they post.

To be clear I am giving feedback,not attacking boards,It has served me well and is an EXcellant site in general............and i felt NO obligation to say that,just the simple truth!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jazzy: While you're not wrong in my view about an over emphasis on moderation here, it's as much by users as mods (more so when you look at the responses to that inconsequential thread, which is basically hot air from one or two people-not mods), and as such there's little DeV or the CMs can do about it
    I'd agree with that. The moderation as a notion of how great thou art comes as much from the user base as it does from the mod base. If not more actually.

Still and IMHO and from what I've seen on both sides, most mods/admins consider themselves users and caretakers. Yea there are the mods/admins in love with the notion if not the practice of the "powah" and banhammer bollocks. Fine, just avoid them I reckon if you feel a lack of clarity and equality in whatever community they're involved in. And if you feel there's a real issue report them just like you would anyone elses posts.

I reckon its actually a very small number anyway, and/or their actual effect is pretty small too. I also agree that there's little Dev or anyone can do about that, though in fairness DeV and others have tried to minimise it. I've seen that actively pursued on both sides of the mod/user line too.

Some people like that narrow middle management I've gone up in the world stuff and fair enough too, if the community isnt effected. And I really dont think it is in the vast majority of cases. I really dont. Mainly because most users actually dont actively care. In the sense that most people come here, have a natter, exchange ideas, BS, rant etc and unless someone with "MOD" under their username makes a big deal about it, or has a bad day(and jesus I've had enough of them myself, on both sides), it doesnt impact most peoples enjoyment of the community and their community.

As for the terms of use stuff? This site has gone through many changes from when it started. It's gotten bigger for a start and with that size comes more attention and more of a chance of being noticed in both good and bad ways. Though pain in the bum it may appear, codifying the basics is required along with that change. Hey I asked questions about this as some areas I wasnt sure of, in particular the copyright issue re user input, but that was down to clarification. Darraghs just looking for things that may need to explained further and fair enough.

I dunno Darragh from a hole in the wall, but I have found him to be honest and open about stuff like this, almost to a fault actually. The simple truth is he could have just changed the terms of use and said nothing and I would bet the farm that 99% wouldnt have even spotted it, but he and the rest of the layer involved didnt do that. That counts for a lot IMHO. Hell I would have just changed it for the aforementioned reason, most wont actively care. Look at facebooks various IMH underhanded cynical changes of late and in the past. I'd put money most out there are still on facebook.... Nuff said. Then again I'm a cynic so....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

another niggle i had was when personal issues were being 'botted' to the front page of Twitter.Thaed deleted some posts{quite rightly so IMO,but got a B..llocking from an Admin}

Innocent though it might have been of them most of those PI,s posters most likely thought they were posting on boards only,so no harm that they be let know of the facts before they post.
    I agree with you on that score. Though like everything there were two sides there. Even still looking at both I would have been on Thaed's side for the reasons you give and a gut thing too. Then again, that got sorted and sorted well enough with a few hitches along the way. While it was a pain in the arse, the fact it got resolved says more to me than the hitches along the way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree with you on that score. Though like everything there were two sides there. Even still looking at both I would have been on Thaed's side for the reasons you give and a gut thing too. Then again, that got sorted and sorted well enough with a few hitches along the way. While it was a pain in the arse, the fact it got resolved says more to me than the hitches along the way.

I think it was Almightycushion(a Cmod) who said hey give us a break, ie, Admins&Mods,We are still getting used to this interweb 'thingy':D

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. The moderation as a notion of how great thou art comes as much from the user base as it does from the mod base. If not more actually.

Still and IMHO and from what I've seen on both sides, most mods/admins consider themselves users and caretakers. Yea there are the mods/admins in love with the notion if not the practice of the "powah" and banhammer bollocks. Fine, just avoid them I reckon if you feel a lack of clarity and equality in whatever community they're involved in. And if you feel there's a real issue report them just like you would anyone elses posts.

gettin involved. how offended were you with moustache mspaint girl? how upset did you decide to be? personally, i think you are talking a sh1t load of a$$. of course you love authoritah. why else would you be so balls deep in it? oh no, i cant say that. sorry. you have no prior judgements or nothin' agains't nobadah. there is a big fat legal roster and sh1t to back ya up on this. who am i but some fat headed idiot to say this? surely they guys with their shizzle on and event management on know bout this ya'all. they could look out of their depth otherwise and fukin hell, thats the last thing we want

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Jazzy - if you have issues with Wibbs moderation, take it to Help Desk. This thread is not the place for it, as you well know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, these documents have nothing to do with moderation. These documents are for each and every member so that it's clear, from a legal standpoint, what you can and can't do on Boards.ie. These documents protect and clarify the agreement between the legal entity that is Boards.ie LTD and the people who use the service (Boards.ie the website) i.e. you, the members. That's every member from Admin to Registered User etc. Should the worst happen and we end up in court, we need to be able to defend ourselves.

Why is this suddenly appearing now?
    It's not. There have always been Terms of Use that you have agreed to when you created your account on the VBulletin software, they were just too generic for us, so we got these written up. This has been a Work in Progress in the office for the last while, but something we've been talking about since Darragh and I started. Why wasn't it done before now? It's a very big project and there simply wasn't anyone here to do it. We took legal advice on what was needed in it and had a solicitor draw it up. On top of all that, we're a much bigger and richer target now if someone decided to come after us in court. Before we didn't really have any money. It's not that we're suddenly loaded or anything (and as DeVore has stated before, we're actually running at a loss for this year because of the investments made in personnel and hardware), but we're in the public eye and media (traditional and online) a lot more and people seem to think we're making millions between ad revenue and investment from Daft.ie.

The copyright issue:
    Steve explained it above, in order for the site to function, we need your permission to repost the information you have entered into our database. It's just that. We're not trawling through the more creative areas of the site looking for stuff to publish in a book or anything (nor will we)! Darragh and I also occasionally mention stuff that's happening on the site when interviewed or talking with potential clients - again, this section of the TOU means that we can do this without fear of It's a fair concern though, I hope we've clarified it.

Leaving/Deleting accounts:
    We don't delete accounts as it an break the flow of our existing threads when the member's posts disappear along with the account. As Darragh's said, we're looking at a new user-group for people who don't want to be a part of the site anymore. There's no commercial reason for this. Your content is what makes this site tick. Naturally, we want to protect this content, so we really hate deleting any of it. We also get a lot of irate "DELETE MY ACCOUNT AND ALL MY POSTS NOW!" emails from people who have broken our rules and have been banned or even infracted in some cases.

Jazzy:
    You raise an interesting point about the "cult of personality" here and I don't disagree with some of what you're saying, however, I genuinely cannot see how any of it is relevant to these documents. You've got a history of "FIGHT DA POWAH!" posts on Feedback and it's getting harder and harder to give anything you say any creedence as you make less and less sense.

However, to address some of the points you appear to be making: the documents aren't meant to be patronising in the sense that no legal document is meant to be patronising. I'm sorry it comes across that way, but this is how the legal system works in Ireland and like it or not, we are bound by it.

As to private forums, this is the reason we've asked for feedback. I'm honestly not sure what impact it will have on Private forums and will seek to clarify with our legal team. We may need a seperate agreement or something in place for them, I'm really not sure though. We'll check it, thanks for pointing it out.

Please keep the comments coming folks, we really do appreciate it.

Dav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Leaving/Deleting accounts:
    We don't delete accounts as it an break the flow of our existing threads when the member's posts disappear along with the account. As Darragh's said, we're looking at a new user-group for people who don't want to be a part of the site anymore. There's no commercial reason for this. Your content is what makes this site tick. Naturally, we want to protect this content, so we really hate deleting any of it. We also get a lot of irate "DELETE MY ACCOUNT AND ALL MY POSTS NOW!" emails from people who have broken our rules and have been banned or even infracted in some cases.
    I dont know why but I got the impression a few years ago an account can be deleted while the posts are preserved, a la The Unregistered posting system you see in PI, etc.

edit: Oh yes thats why I think that. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055236463 :pac:

I dunno if thats easy or simple though, so... if you guys have a good reason for not going to the hassle, grand. The only time I care is when I think of a good username thats already 'taken'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement