Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Business Pages Set Up

Options
  • 28-01-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Does anyone know how you seperate your personal profile from your business page? I've tried setting up a business page which works just fine but when I tried to link to Twitter page it asked for a personal prfile to be set up, now when I log in with my business account login details I get the personal profile as my default?
    I can still edit my business page fine but did have a problem with deleting a comment, it said it was deleted ok but it's still there?
    Also, I need to search for my business page even when logged in because my personal profile comes up as default and I can't become a fan of other pages for my business account, it just adds the personal profile as the fan?

I'm a bit confused as you can see. Any help would be appreciated, Facebook seem to exist in the third dimension so can't reach them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

I added pretty much the same problem yesterday, I do not understand it either.
    I know that you can make the personal page private, but that is about it.
    I am considering just setting up a normal page for my business....like a friend page but this doesnt really fulfill my needs.

Also you have to be come a fan of your own business page, I am not sure why but I think this helps.

Sorry I can not be more help but I am as lost as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

And I am in the same boat aswell. I thought I was setting up an admin account but email: and password are now superseded with a private account.
    When I search for the Business account I can find it and edit it but cannot add my friends to it directly, only recommend.

I tried deactivating the single account, changing email address. But when I search it only shows the email address of the private account and not the Business account.

The Business is a Sports Club so it is important we can talk directly with our Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone!

You have to wonder what they're at offering a "business" option if it's so hard to operate.

Another thing.....I could only log into my business account from my iPhone after I had created a personal account. It seems the personal account rules over everything.

Also, I sent the business account link to a client for their opinion (I only set it up two days ago) and the link doesn't work. Does another person have to have a Facebook personal account in order to access one's business account? It seems so.

Not alone are Facebook not contactable, but there appears to be no Help section on the site that would have a list of FAQs answering all of our screamingly obvious questions.

Not very impressed. :confused:

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

http://www.facebook.com/twitter/

You'll also need to make sure that you're logged in to the correct Twitter a/c when you do this, as it will try to authenticate against it (ie. if you have a business and a personal a/c you'll need to login to the business account)

There's also a few thread over here: http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/social-media-marketing/

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Thanks for the reply Blackknight. I havn't checked those links yet though.

I talked with another chap who just set up a business account and he said that he made his personal account similiar to the Bus. Acc. Keeping the profile photo the same, stuff like that.

I have accepted the circumstances, Facebook's argument is that they want one personal account per everyone on the website and that other accounts grow from the individual accounts. (Good luck with that!)

I have kept the Business Account Link high on my personal account. Suggested the Bus. account to Pers. Acc. friends and hope to use my email list a little later to invite to join the Bus. Acc. I'm creating an advert aswell.

But it is largely second-hand and not what I was hoping for.

• Advertisement

An account on Facebook is not the same as a page on Facebook
    They're two totally different concepts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

this isn't meant to be a thread hi-jack but i think i have a similar problem to the OP - but i'm even more confused!!:(

all i'm trying to do is set up a page for our local film club - using the film club's g-mail address. but somewhere along the line i thought it was asking me for my name as an administrator iykwim, now i have a profile with MY OWN name on it. When i try to change the name to that of the club it says this isn't possible, i get a red error message. the help centre section on this tells me to use the contact form linked to the error message, only... erm... there isn't one:confused:

I've spent over 2 hrs going round in circles trying to de-activate the account and have, i think but now it won't let me set up the page again under the film club name.... it says there's already an account using this e-mail address. this is a mess and i wish i'd never volunteered to do it - i thought it would take me 10 minutes :(

seriously... this is driving me to drink. at this stage i'd pay someone a fiver to do it for me.... anyone have any ideas????

You don't need a new Facebook account .. You can use your existing one ..
    Obviously if you don't have a Facebook login you'll need to create one ..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

Just to answer your question because the same thing happened me.

So firstly .....
    So just think of it like this cause it'll be easier to explain, firstly there is back page, ie a page exactly like your own personal profile page.
    From this back page you set up a fan page. (the option to do this is along the bottom left of the profile page).

When you go to the set up options there is a way to just set up a fan page but by doing so you won't be able to add apps etc. so its better to just start with a profile/back page and then build your fan page.

If you have one already set up, which I had without realising, that is good news so don't panic about the name or e-mail, because from this you can make a fan page.:rolleyes:

The profile page acts the same way as your own personal page does - all the setting options (account, profile, find friends, home) along the top right relate to this page. So make it private if need be.

To control the fan page once you have set it up, use the edit page option under the photo. To publish this page there are options under the settings section, publish and make visable to everyone 13+ to be searched easily.(as long as the content is 13+ friendly)

I hope this helps?

Also where is the film club? I am also from Mayo.

Oh I forgot, if you want to set up a page like a friend page or normal personal profile page you will need to set up a new g-mail account I think, as facebook seems to remember e-mail accounts.

Look at facebook pages big businesses have set up, it'll give you an idea of the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Same here...kept asking me to set up a profile. It spotted that I was registering for a club/organisation. So I settled with what I have, limitations an all. The problem with our Facebook pages is the length of the URL string so I have an ico linking from the blog.

I view Facebook as the lighter side of the clubs activities and aimed at our junior - youth section.

P.S. With a blog, you can still have your followers and have comments submitted to the blog, so thre's that element of interaction...and you can edit comments as admin ;-)

If I were a film/camera club I'd seriously go with a blog (Blogger or WordPress). You can even purchase a domain name for the club (.com for about €10) and direct the blog to it. You can open a Picasa account free with 1Gb storage or for ~€6 extend to 20GB for all your clubs photos - secure and visible to public. It also houses the 'drop down' album for your blog. Gmail account required. This is our clubs: www.enniscorthygc.com Perhaps not the answer to the question but another solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Facebook is giving a pain in my head!!!!

Did anyone figure out how to set up a page for their company and NOT a personal profile page?

I want one with the mission statement etc but I just cant seem to do it without my personal details (I dont want a presonal facebook profile /page!)

ARRRGGGGGG its so fustrating

Please help.

I also dont know the difference between groups, fans, pages, profiles if anyone can give any insight I would be really really really grateful!

The short answer is you can't.

You have to have at least one personal profile page to set up a company/business profile page. Essentially, the personal page is viewed as that of the administrator of the company's page.

I've been trying to do the same.

What I can't get my head around is that if I go to my business page and click on either Home or Profile at the top right of that page, I get redirected to my Personal Profile page. Very annoying! :confused:

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how I can give my business page its own identity.

Thanks.

D.

It's very simple

1 - Create Facebook account for yourself as a person / individual.
    2 - Login to facebook and create a page for your business / company
    3 - Add any other staff you have to the page as admins
    4 - Edit page and post updates - these will appear from the page

Blacknight,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

But, am I correct in thinking that clicking on Home or Profile on the Business page takes you back to the Personal Profile page?

Thanks.

D.

Profile link = your personal profile

Home = your home

Don't forget - it's just assigning a "special" view to you as a page admin

If you need to move around in the page you click on the updates themselves or the "edit" link

Blacknight,

Thanks again.

One last question.........

I'm a sole trader and my personal profile page and my business page have similar names. e.g. 'Joe Bloggs' and 'Joe Bloggs Plumbing'.

As I've already intimated, my real interest is the business page. I only set up the personal page because I had to.

So, have you any suggestions as to how to present the personal page so that it directs people to the business page? e.g. Should I remove the Wall option so that only Info is presented to those who find it?

Many thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    So, have you any suggestions as to how to present the personal page so that it directs people to the business page? e.g. Should I remove the Wall option so that only Info is presented to those who find it?
    D.
    You can't.
    But you don't really need to ...

If you set the privacy settings on your personal account to be very strict then only your "friends" will see it.

Advertisement