Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

thanks Domscard this must be first phone i have ever heard of being factory unlocked and for sale from o2 :) any apps you would recomend?

I have to say I was very surprised too - not that I have a huge amount of experience purchasing phones. But I was prepared to move to O2 if I had to in order to have the N900. I hope that yours is unlocked too and that that they haven't changed since :eek: Someone more knowledgeable than me posted a while back to say that they couldn't do so due to the OS used?
    As for apps, I'm not any kind of geek (;)) so I'm probably not much use to you there. I've browsed both the Ovi store and Maemo and picked up a few eclectic things that interested me (Boggle, Candle, WifiEye, Tickstill etc) but I thoroughly recommend Webtexter (infor further back on this thread). I mostly use webtext either via Cabbage or this app and it's all on my home wifi. Meaning, of course, that no mobile phone provider is going to make much money out of me anyway :D I have always struggled to use the minimum amount of credit within the 6 months allowed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Isn't the unlocked thing due the amount of open source software on the N900 that it couldn't be locked without violating the GNU licence(s)? I know that prior to release nokia flagged to the phone companies that this device would not be badged/locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

haha cool so you can webtext on this yoke :) what provider are you mainly using? im with meteor right know and get 300 monthly texts i wonder do you get roughly the same with 3? just ordered my free 3 sim couple of days back for their 3g services

haha cool so you can webtext on this yoke :) what provider are you mainly using? im with meteor right know and get 300 monthly texts i wonder do you get roughly the same with 3? just ordered my free 3 sim couple of days back for their 3g services

Vodafone - I suppose any provider would suit me since I don't really avail of their paid services much :D I've only used the phone once while away from home on the Vodafone ISP (99c a day tariff) and it was grand. Plenty of wireless hotspots and other people's home wifi around (always with express permission and using their code, of course).
    Why did you choose 3?

Edit: Vodafone has 600 monthly texts and they can be used for international numbers, which is great. Of course I have the extra O2 one's now as well ;)

i picked 3 because of there data allowence on pay as you go internet you can pay 10 euro for 1 gig of data like toping up your credit that was pretty much the only reason but 600 monthly webtexts sounds good as well damn choices:)

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Isn't the unlocked thing due the amount of open source software on the N900 that it couldn't be locked without violating the GNU licence(s)? I know that prior to release nokia flagged to the phone companies that this device would not be badged/locked.

I expect you're perfectly right :) I knew there was a reason, but couldn't remember what it was. Although if my faulty memory serves me correctly, someone on this thread said that Vodafone or O2 in the UK have locked/branded the N900?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

go to IM accounts
    select a jabber a/c
    enter facebook username as <facebook_username>@chat.facebook.com
    enter facebook password

you can find your <facebook_username> in the account section of facebook

ignore all other settings

note: close any facebook pages you have open before you save. ;)

thats gona be handy:)

will be waiting till early next week to get my mini computer ;) damn the one time i dont want a long weekend haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Request: I love my N900 and the only disappointment is that I can't access my CCTV system remotely - it brings up the CCTV interface but just displays a "play" button where the image should be.

If I try to click the icon the media player opens and says not supported. (appears to be a quicktime .mov file) - but not a file of course as it is streaming live video. I've downloaded the extra codecs and tried kmplayer.

I can access this stream from any pc and even from my old N95.

Help appreciated. The N900 must be capable of this. (Normal access method is by going to my ip address with an open port)

ps - on N95 I used a java based program to access the CCTV - could this be converted for use to the N900?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Request: I love my N900 and the only disappointment is that I can't access my CCTV system remotely - it brings up the CCTV interface but just displays a "play" button where the image should be.

If I try to click the icon the media player opens and says not supported. (appears to be a quicktime .mov file) - but not a file of course as it is streaming live video. I've downloaded the extra codecs and tried kmplayer.

I can access this stream from any pc and even from my old N95.

Help appreciated. The N900 must be capable of this. (Normal access method is by going to my ip address with an open port)

ps - on N95 I used a java based program to access the CCTV - could this be converted for use to the N900?

Can you post what software you use for your CCTV and what you used on your N95?

We might be able to find what codecs are being used from that.

Hi Matrim
    I don't use any software when viewing the CCTV over internet explorer - I just browse to my ip address i.e. 1xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:75 and it automatically generates a screen with controls..this works on the N900 for all the controls but not the picture!

(I've sent a link by pm to you to have a look if you don't mind with a temp username and password)

The software I used on the N95 is a .jar file

http://211.75.84.102/fae/MobileAP/index.html

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Anybody know the story with mms, i cant send or recieve them or is it just my phone?
    Cheers.

Hi Matrim
    I don't use any software when viewing the CCTV over internet explorer - I just browse to my ip address i.e. 1xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:75 and it automatically generates a screen with controls..this works on the N900 for all the controls but not the picture!

(I've sent a link by pm to you to have a look if you don't mind with a temp username and password)

The software I used on the N95 is a .jar file

http://211.75.84.102/fae/MobileAP/index.html

Thanks for any help.

I've sent you some info via pm. Your stream is an rtsp stream and you might need VLC to play it

boc121 wrote: »
    Anybody know the story with mms, i cant send or recieve them or is it just my phone?
    Cheers.

There is a program fmms available from extras-devel to use mms. See http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS for details

matrim wrote: »
    I've sent you some info via pm. Your stream is an rtsp stream and you might need VLC to play it

Matrim, much appreciated. I will have a look at all that and see what I can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I transferred over a load of avi files to the phone last night,a couple of the files aren't supported but if I try to play any of those file no other avi or mp3 file will play until I restart the phone. Has anyone else noticed this?

damn people are begining to overclock the n900 already
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=594311#post594311
    seems to be working pretty good as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

damn people are begining to overclock the n900 already
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=594311#post594311
    seems to be working pretty good as well :D

This is Sh*t cool!...seems the n900 can run 900mhz no problem!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jessconr wrote: »
    This is Sh*t cool!...seems the n900 can run 900mhz no problem!!

I for one wont be trying to overclock my n900. I'm still amazed as it is, the risk involved in overclocking is just too great imo.

• Advertisement

I for one wont be trying to overclock my n900. I'm still amazed as it is, the risk involved in overclocking is just too great imo.

I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks to see if there are any problems before even i think of doing it myself. Overclocking works great with the playstation emulator

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jessconr wrote: »
    I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks to see if there are any problems before even i think of doing it myself. Overclocking works great with the playstation emulator

Yeah i saw the youtube vid that was put up. I don't know, maybe i'm just being too cautious but overclocking such a small device has me wondering what damage i'd be doing. I mean if it was a computer with proper cooling i'd be all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

I put on the 900mhz-500dsp image this morning, The phone really is much snappier.
    I don't know if I can go back to the stock image now, I might just take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mwrf wrote: »
    I put on the 900mhz-500dsp image this morning, The phone really is much snappier.
    I don't know if I can go back to the stock image now, I might just take the risk.

Just don't put that thing in your trouser pocket. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Has anyone installed a car kit for this phone? Was looking at the brodit one shown in previous posts anyone got one of these? Also anyone got Bluetooth installed in car and is this phone compatible with it?

mwrf wrote: »

you should try out RTE player with those settings. I bet the playback is much smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks wrote: »
    Cheers vibe, that's me now fully worried until the thing gets here!
    Icysean, maybe hold off a few days just in case. When it gets here I'll post again (or if it's a scam, I'll post a heads-up).
    The seller hasn't anyone complaining this was a fake and they've sold fourteen of them, it's not coming out of china or hong kong, and it's paid for via paypal so allegedly I'm protected, so we'll see....

And it looks like Vibe was right, though I didn't get badly burnt so far - the retailer cancelled the transaction, saying that eBay had reviewed their account and found DropShipping to be too risky.

At least the cash goes back into my Paypal account now. And now I have to fight the urge to go spend €450 on a phone yet again...

i went with o2 they had a good deal tbh 469 euro, so far this overclocking is going very well no one has complained about it breaking anything so far, i am going to hold off for a couple of weeks till i actually get my phone (hopefully tomorow or wensday:)) and get used of using it before i even try overclocking it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is €470 the best deal available at the moment? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sparks wrote: »
    Is €470 the best deal available at the moment? :(

I'm not sure what network you're looking for but Vodafone have it from €269 on new connections.

Advertisement