Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make Limerick more attractive to Tourists

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

So I am involved in the tourism sector here in Limerick and since yesterday the amount of tourists around has just dried up, like a tap that has just been turned off. There were so few tourists this year that the Tourist Office actually did not open on a Sunday for the entire summer, just was noone around. We got talking about what we could do to make the city more desirable, both during the summer and the off-season.

We have already gotten onto the City Council and they are going to remove the last section of the wall and fence outside the Tourist Office as well as trim the trees. It was a bit of a joke having drug-dealers and alcoholics hanging around the main hub for tourists, not the best impression. The new flowers around the place are nice, as is the new Thomas St/Bedfore Row area.

Other than that we are at a bit of a loss. Can anyone think of any low-budget alternatives that might work. There are a lot of eyesores around the city that we could do with completely removing but I dont see that happening until more money starts flowing into the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

nuclear_blast.jpg

Only way to be sure.

It would get me too, but its worth the risk.

On a serious note, closing off the entire city centre to cars, having a nightlife "strip" rather than scattered, and a visible police presence would be a start.

Galway has this and its a cracking location.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kernunos wrote: »
    So I am involved in the tourism sector here in Limerick and since yesterday the amount of tourists around has just dried up, like a tap that has just been turned off. There were so few tourists this year that the Tourist Office actually did not open on a Sunday for the entire summer, just was noone around. We got talking about what we could do to make the city more desirable, both during the summer and the off-season.

We have already gotten onto the City Council and they are going to remove the last section of the wall and fence outside the Tourist Office as well as trim the trees. It was a bit of a joke having drug-dealers and alcoholics hanging around the main hub for tourists, not the best impression. The new flowers around the place are nice, as is the new Thomas St/Bedfore Row area.

Other than that we are at a bit of a loss. Can anyone think of any low-budget alternatives that might work. There are a lot of eyesores around the city that we could do with completely removing but I dont see that happening until more money starts flowing into the city.

As part of the tourism sector...isnt that your job?

This city just isnt tourist friendly, like was already mentioned the nightlife is too scattered, you hav Icon/Nancys/Flannerys all within a few feet but then every other half decent pub are a few blocks away, I dont mind but have you ever tried to get a gaggle of women to walk from the Chicken to Nancys? aint happening, they usually get a cab.

The river, there are 2 pubs which overlook it, The Locke and Clohessys, both at nearly opposite ends of the town, why doesnt the council give people more of a reason to be near the river? I love sitting outside one of them on a summer evening with a drink, we need more places like that.

Patrick St, demolish the whole thing, its an absolute eyesore, and its the first place a lot of people see coming into the city.

Whats with all the cheap, crap selling shops around these days? William St may as well be renamed the €2 shop street, and now theres one on Cruises st as well selling tat that nobody could possibly want. Cruises st used to be a bustling pedestrian shopping street, I was walking down it on Monday afternoon and I swear there were about a dozen people on the whole thing, shop assistants standing at the doors of places like Footlocker and River Island looking bored out of their mind as there was nobody around. The one and only reason I go into town these days is to meet friends or to pick up my medication prescription, everything else is in the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

krudler wrote: »
    As part of the tourism sector...isnt that your job?

Ha, it is indeed. I should have been clearer though, we just office workers brainstorming while sitting looking at empty streets. We were thinking if we can get a few ideas we might try and pass them on to the movers and shakers. Was interested in seeing what other people might suggest.

Only started in the job before the summer and its odd how it changes your perspective of the city, keep trying to see it through the eyes of someone who has never been here before. As a Limerick native I agree about the need for an increased Garda presence. I have never had any trouble in the city but I would prefer to see the Guards at times other than St patricks Day and Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

as a tourist (i live in germany), the bypass is the best thing that happened with regard to Limerick for tourists.
    No need to see the place ever again.

anecdote.....
    There was a research conference in limerick back in 2000 and a colleague from the university here in Munich was over for it.
    His mrs acomnanied him on the spin and on the first day they were there and whilst he was chatting with the academics, she went to the park and had a mini picnic.
    Funny enough (for a city with a certain nick name) a wee knacker attacked his wife, took her cheese knife off her and threatened her looking for all her money.
    Thankfully, when she woundn't do as he asked the young lad ran away.
    No damage done except to the reputation of Limerick

anyhow,
    if Limerick wants to improve its tourist prospects, it really needs to get a name for being a safe place, especially downtown.
    Little scuts only thrive when they think they can get away with anything. The guards need to be on the streets and come down hard on anyone stepping out of line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Depends what you mean by cheap?

If you mean relatively free then maybe arrange a pub crawl of all the rugby pubs and brand it in some way with Munster, would cost nothing or next to nothing to set-up. A lot of tourists would just love a pub crawl, a lot of pubs would like the business (some wouldn't as it might annoy their regulars).

Another relatively cheap thing would be to publish a good, small guide to Limerick's history. Hell, even here a lot of locals are stunningly ignorant of the history to the place.
    A small book which explained the history of the Hunt collection, the Custom house building, the Markets, Castle, the Cathedral, etc. How many people know about the time the french let Irish soldiers be slaughtered rather than open the castle gates, or that the English used the Cathedral as a stables, or that the Cathedral's tower was a gun tower or that Coffin ships left from where the Courthouse is etc.

Any really successful tourist town isn't one big idea, it's lots of little ideas working together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Have a read of tripadvisor, lots of tourists opinions about limerick. Mostly negative, especially clarion steamboat quay.
    Not negative about hotel, but about winos, junkies, beggars. And murder.

After reading reviews would you really want to come to limerick. We need to lock away all the scumbags.

Just back from a weekend in clare and plenty of tourists around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

op iv often thought about this and came up with a couple ideas..

1. Lights on the cities main attractions, ie King Johns Castle etc

4431186779_0e640ab482_z.jpg

have lights like this on the castle, im not sure even if its lit up at all, if tourists see this at night they will deffinately want to pay a visit the next day

2. Boast about and utilise the new "market quarter", as this is Limericks answer to temple bar. the new milk market is not used all the time so why not use it for popular bands? imagine getting a few thousand in there?
    also have festival flags going across the streets like this, that way, everyone knows this is an area of the city that will be expecting something at night time, if not just to make it look better!

3884759310_56c04bb328.jpg

where the market quarter is, in the limerick colours.

3. Festivals, we had the mardi gras and that went off so well, thousands attended and the city was buzzing, have more of these,something that tourists will want to look foreward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The market quarter is going to be the closest you get to galway's quay street pub and restaurant experience. all those empty units, get em out rent free for cafes and the like, turn it into somewhere fun to go and wander.

plus, get someone to contact me about my zombie festival!!!!

I think the bad reputation the city has plays a big part in it. I spent a year traveling a while back and was taken aback about how many people had heard of Limerick, unfortunately it was mostly negative. Between the 'Stab City' moniker and the poverty/gloom described in Angela's Ashes not many seemed very attracted to the place.

A lot of the negative press comes from Irish people though. We have heard stories of tourists being told not to come visit here by Irish people, which would have been bad enough if it was just some randomer but the people giving the 'advice' were staff in tourist attractions around the country.

I think you are right about the river not being used enough as well. I had cause to walk the length of it from the scate park to Aurthors Quay park yesterday and it is woefully underused. Even the nice park sections there by Milano's and in front of the boat house had drunks hanging around.

I think the bad reputation the city has plays a big part in it. I spent a year traveling a while back and was taken aback about how many people had heard of Limerick, unfortunately it was mostly negative. Between the 'Stab City' moniker and the poverty/gloom described in Angela's Ashes not many seemed very attracted to the place.

A lot of the negative press comes from Irish people though. We have heard stories of tourists being told not to come visit here by Irish people, which would have been bad enough if it was just some randomer but the people giving the 'advice' were staff in tourist attractions around the country.

Agree, by far the worst tourist info comes from fellow Irish people who simply tell people not to come here. i met a good few people who knew of the reputation but who had never been here. Then again, is it any different than an English guy telling me not to bother with say Birmingham or Sheffield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think getting the beggers and scum off the streets is the first step, you cant walk far in the city center without getting asked for "some change bud" although they have new excuses these days "need to get the bus to shannon" and "need a bus to the travelodge"

Its a disgrace, the only way I can think is more police presence on the streets at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

I am from Cork myself and lived in Galway for 6 years before moving to Limerick and I have to say there is a terrible attitude in Limerick. I cannot even go for a nice walk down the ennis road without some scut saying rude or ignorant comments as i go by. I really don't enjoy going into town on my own for a walk about as you feel as thou you are being watched. I totally agree that Patrick St could do with knocking down, it would get rid of all those empty old buildings and open up that area towards the market a bit more.

I drive home from work at 11 at night and always see a police car/paddy wagon or guards walking around the city so don't feel there isn't enough presence about, other cities apart from Dublin don't really have that much on every night of the week. The artists that have taken over much of the empty buildings have definitely livened up the city and give a good view to all those who walk around the city so i hope this is kept up.

In response to the issue of €2 shops they have re-opened one under the name of Kwik E Mart! I think that says it all that on one of the main streets this is what tourists see! There just isn't as much pride in Limerick as there should be and there needs to be a whole attitude change which starts in the Education System upwards.

I know this is a bit of a rant but I really don't enjoy Limerick as a city, I have met some lovely people in and from Limerick but the city itself really lets it all down and gives a poor impression to those just passing through.

Strange that you would mention a pub crawl. We had two guys in yesterday who were looking at setting one up that would focus on tourists and students, so keep an eye out for that.

One thing I think the city is also lacking is a back-packers hostel. During the summer there is one in Mary I but thats a bit outside the town. Other than that the cheapest is the Railway Hotel which would not appear in any guide that tourists would be looking at.

dave 27 wrote: »
    also have festival flags going across the streets like this, that way, everyone knows this is an area of the city that will be expecting something at night time, if not just to make it look better!.

They do have the flags on O'Connell st and on the bridges though

One thing I think the city is also lacking is a back-packers hostel.

Definitely, but not exactly cheap to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

Marvel80 wrote: »
    I am from Cork myself and lived in Galway for 6 years before moving to Limerick and I have to say there is a terrible attitude in Limerick. I cannot even go for a nice walk down the ennis road without some scut saying rude or ignorant comments as i go by. I really don't enjoy going into town on my own for a walk about as you feel as thou you are being watched. I totally agree that Patrick St could do with knocking down, it would get rid of all those empty old buildings and open up that area towards the market a bit more.

I drive home from work at 11 at night and always see a police car/paddy wagon or guards walking around the city so don't feel there isn't enough presence about, other cities apart from Dublin don't really have that much on every night of the week. The artists that have taken over much of the empty buildings have definitely livened up the city and give a good view to all those who walk around the city so i hope this is kept up.

In response to the issue of €2 shops they have re-opened one under the name of Kwik E Mart! I think that says it all that on one of the main streets this is what tourists see! There just isn't as much pride in Limerick as there should be and there needs to be a whole attitude change which starts in the Education System upwards.

I know this is a bit of a rant but I really don't enjoy Limerick as a city, I have met some lovely people in and from Limerick but the city itself really lets it all down and gives a poor impression to those just passing through.

Couldn't agree more with you on William St-was home a few weeks ago & it's such a kip.These threads seem to keep popping up every few months.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that City Council just don't really give a toss anymore or choose to have their heads in the sands.I know there's a recession and money is tight but they could do a few things on William St:If every shopowner put a lick of paint on the outside it would help & if they stop allowing tacky euroshops open up-absolutely cheapens the place. I agree with the poster on using the market as a venue.
    I'd also like to see an indoor multi-purpose venue-somewhere where there could be a music concert one week, an invitational tenis tournament the next, disney on ice the next.I know it won't happen now but it would get people into the city.
    People come to Limerick because of a rugby game, concert, or pig and porter.We have to accept that people don't come to Limerick to see Limerick- they come because of an event.It seems a no-brainer to have more 'event's in the city like festivals aswell.
    I think if the opera centre isn't going to happen then maybe some of the shops down in patrick st could be reopened.
    We should probably be looking to see what Newcastle and provincial cities in England do to get tourists-maybe try and get more of the hen & stag party trade.I know it's not to everyones liking but it they fill hotel rooms and bars then is it so bad.

Marvel80 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more with you on William St-was home a few weeks ago & it's such a kip.These threads seem to keep popping up every few months.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that City Council just don't really give a toss anymore or choose to have their heads in the sands.I know there's a recession and money is tight but they could do a few things on William St:If every shopowner put a lick of paint on the outside it would help & if they stop allowing tacky euroshops open up-absolutely cheapens the place. I agree with the poster on using the market as a venue.
    I'd also like to see an indoor multi-purpose venue-somewhere where there could be a music concert one week, an invitational tenis tournament the next, disney on ice the next.I know it won't happen now but it would get people into the city.
    People come to Limerick because of a rugby game, concert, or pig and porter.We have to accept that people don't come to Limerick to see Limerick- they come because of an event.It seems a no-brainer to have more 'event's in the city like festivals aswell.
    I think if the opera centre isn't going to happen then maybe some of the shops down in patrick st could be reopened.
    We should probably be looking to see what Newcastle and provincial cities in England do to get tourists-maybe try and get more of the hen & stag party trade.I know it's not to everyones liking but it they fill hotel rooms and bars then is it so bad.

sleepyman wrote: »

Been over to Northampton (munster trip) and it wasnt any better than Limerick (shops closed down/pound shops in most units) but also a place for visiting fans. There are a lot of towns in England like this so we arent alone in trying to deal with this situation

Mc Love wrote: »
    Been over to Northampton (munster trip) and it wasnt any better than Limerick (shops closed down/pound shops in most units) but also a place for visiting fans. There are a lot of towns in England like this so we arent alone in trying to deal with this situation

I've heard that about Northampton.I mentioned it before that I think the city has come on but the Council could do more.Anyone know why it seems to take so long(and cost alot) though to demolish derelict buildings?

The regeneration people seem to make a song and dance about demolishing a few buildings in the troubled estates and you read the cost of it and wonder why it's so expensive?

I had a look at the Trip Advisor site for the place and it does not actually seem that bad

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186621-r46292525-Limerick_County_Limerick.html#REVIEWS

Most of the people there talk about how great the food and pubs were in the city, as well as the people. Good to hear i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There are 5-10 people lying on the ground on O'Connell street, by ATMs and stuff, drinking and begging every time I've been on it for the last couple of months.

You just can't allow this on the main street of a small city - it just looks atrocious. These people - I'm sure they ave their hard luck stories so good luck to them and all that - just have got to be moved.

Also, Guards on foot in twos just walking around a bit would do wonders for making people feel safer walking around Cruises street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The first thing New York did to clean up its image was heavily enforce anti begging, drunk&disorderly and minor drug offences. If it means hiring some extra council staff, private security or having a small team of plain clothes Gardai regularly patrolling the main shopping streets then the pay off is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

The city ambassadors are a good idea but they aren't very visible. They should have a big sash across chest, or big printed lettering on back of jackets. Make them very visible to tourists.

Have free city centre tear off maps located at shop entrances - I've often seen tourists wandering around not even being able to locate the tourist office - other cities have these type of maps, highly coloured and sometimes with discounts for shops printed on side or reverse.

Look up at the buildings - the weeds and grass growing out of the tops of buildings is disgraceful, windows filthy, railings bad repair. Could city council grant a reduction in rates maybe to shops who show visibly that they have cleaned up their buildings?

extra gardai as well - always looks good in any city to have them wandering around. Can instill a feeling of security rather than feeling of terror.

also, instead of just hoarding around the works on Sarsfield and similiar types of sites, there should be large printed posters showing what the finished street is to look like.

KerranJast wrote: »
    The first thing New York did to clean up its image was heavily enforce anti begging, drunk&disorderly and minor drug offences. If it means hiring some extra council staff, private security or having a small team of plain clothes Gardai regularly patrolling the main shopping streets then the pay off is worth it.

Can't support this enough imo.

I'm coming to the conclusion that City Council just don't really give a toss anymore or choose to have their heads in the sands.I know there's a recession and money is tight but they could do a few things on William St:If every shopowner put a lick of paint on the outside it would help & if they stop allowing tacky euroshops open up-absolutely cheapens the place.

While I agree the city should enforce better signage etc, there's been little point doing anything to William street until the work was ready to start on the street-scape improvements, afaik, this is happening over the next few months. The city couldn't do this until the tunnel was open due to the volume of traffic in the city.

Limerick city should have been fully bypassed years ago, we're still waiting for a northern bypass.

While I agree the city should enforce better signage etc, there's been little point doing anything to William street until the work was ready to start on the street-scape improvements, afaik, this is happening over the next few months. The city couldn't do this until the tunnel was open due to the volume of traffic in the city.

Limerick city should have been fully bypassed years ago, we're still waiting for a northern bypass.

I think they start in the new year.In fairness to the pedestrianisation/street improvements, it seems shop owners have made the effort to improve signange/paint their premises.The whole area around catherine st/thomas st & bedford row looks quite nice now.

I think they start in the new year.In fairness to the pedestrianisation/street improvements, it seems shop owners have made the effort to improve signange/paint their premises.The whole area around catherine st/thomas st & bedford row looks quite nice now.

Yeah, the Council have gotten that right, let's hope they get Sarsfield street and William street right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

have to agree with the most common theme on this thread.

Get the vermin/beggers/junkies off the streets, actually add anyone wearing pyjamas or wearing a tracksuit with the socks rolled up at the bottom.

Limerick has huge social problems and unfortunately the city centre and by extension the lack of tourists is only an extension of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Acapella

The problem with Limerick is there is not one thing to bring people to the city. Look at the other cities, Dublin is obvious as its the capital, Galway has a great nightlife and quirky shops, and Cork has a great main shopping street with all the big international brands while also having the sidestreets for independents.

Limerick city centre is dead, plain and simple. They need to focus on getting shops up and running, attracting the big international players. I honestly believe they need to make Limerick into some shopping 'mecca', for people throughout the Mid-West to come here. The Opera Centre is a massive thing that really needs to happen asap and yes I know its a recession but dear god think of the citizens!!! The amount of scum going around town is quite prominent but at the same time is it because town is so quite that these people are becoming increasingly visible? Thats of course no excuse....I would choose to nuke the mofo's if it came to it :pac:

In the short term, they need to focus on Limericks strengths and the city council should be helping business' instead of hindering. We really have some great restaurants,pubs and the regenerated market quarter (for the love of god don't let it laying there idle!!) and its seriously underappreciated by the people in power. In terms of touristy things, is St John's Cathedral ever marketed to tourists? The place is obviously dripping full of history, its refurbished and v beautiful!!!

We are suppose to be the home of sport, why can't we link it into other areas. We have more strengths than Galway, the issue is we are seriously not using it to our advantage and the clowns that have been in power over the years hasn't helped!!

Advertisement