Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agnosticism is the logical from Atheism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

cursai wrote: »
    Hey look linguistics aside....Gnostics is rubbish! The same as Agnostic only open for experimentation like a college student!

Er, no. Gnosticism is the study of wisdom. In its narrow meaning it is meditative, contemplative and explores philosophically debates that are deemed off-limits by most disciplines, such as the purpose origin and nature of existence.
    A-gnosticism is a simple position admitting ignorance. In the theism debate, it implies an admission of not knowing one way or another whether a deity or deities exist.
    Therefore it is perfectly possible to be a gnostic atheist. I am, and many Buddhists are too.
    It is also possible, and indeed quite common, to be an agnostic atheist. IE someone who does not KNOW one way or another if any deity exists, but who BELIEVES that none does.

Another linguistics nightmare! DOES NOT EXIST and THERE IS NO GOD!.
    Same £$%$ different shade!

I can see you're struggling with concepts that you don't understand here.
    Anyway now that ye know what i mean!.... How is atheism different to being religious? Theres the same arrogant blind faith with no evidence!

No, there isn't. This has already been explained to you. One is a faith-based belief lacking evidence. The other is a logical philosophical position given that same lack of evidence. That position may or may not be faith based depending on the level of adherence to belief in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'd agree with that analysis to an extent.
    Theres oceans of analysis of how the mind works.
    However,thats a position on what makes some people comfortable and how other people don't need that comfort or in some cases have learned they don't need it.
    But it doesn't deal with beliefs or convictions people have without evidence.

It does actually. People have an evolved instinct to view agents in nature. There are various reasons for this, mostly that it allows them to process the chaotic world around them based on rules and logical for human interaction that they already possess for human interaction.

Various experiments have shown that in times of stress or when a person is feeling a sense of confusion or feeling the world is out of control their brain resorts back to viewing nature in this way.

This explains religious belief and why believers often reach faith during bad periods in their lives. It also explains why believers can find it very difficult to let go of these notions, as it is not simply a rational choice, their brain is set up to view these notions of agency in nature as sensible common sense.
    When I first responded to a primal nut in this thread it was to a post where he/she said they didn't believe a God existed.
    You don't either I presume?

I believe that the concept we call "God" was invented by humans as part of the above process. If that happens to correlate to an actual creator deity that is purely coincidental.

A good analogy often used on this forum is a theist and an atheist standing at a closed door that neither of them have ever gone through.

The thiest says "There is a lion behind that door"

The atheist says "Don't be silly you couldn't possible know that, you are just making it up"

Now there may actually be a lion behind that door, but the theist doesn't know there is. If by some cosmic fluke the theist guessed right that still wouldn't mean he knew what was being the door. And given all the possible things that could be behind the door it is much more likely not to be what the theist guesses than what he does guess.

So it is not at all unreasonable to say that was a made up guess and in all likelihood it probably isn't what you guessed.

Replace "lion" with "God" and "door" with "universe" and you have my view on religion.

It is not at all unreasonable to say that religion is made up and in all likelihood it is probably not what theists have guessed. Which is basically saying God as they define it, doesn't exist.
    If atheists do not rule out a God and you two do,what label/description or category does that come under?

It would be foolish for anyone to rule anything out 100%. I don't rule out storks carrying babies. It is highly improbable yet still possible that every doctor and scientist studying human reproduction has made a massive mistake.

But this is so unlikely that in lay mans term I have no problem saying storks do not deliver babies. If someone said prove that in the sense of absolute proof I would have to say I can't. But in practical terms that means little.

Equally I've no problem saying God as Christians define it is imaginary and doesn't exist. I can't prove that in absolute terms but in practical terms that means little. All the evidence points to that conclusion.

Thats an understandable position as obviously the unknown isn't understandable.
    Now whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander in that respect as isn't that what people who believe in the opposite of what you believe also do.

I'm not following.

Theists make claims about the existence of supernatural deities. I reject these claims because I believe, based on good evidence and science, that they are most likely made up.

So I'm not sure how we share beliefs. I don't believe that human like supernatural agents exist in nature, instead I believe (again based on strong evidence and science) that the human mind imagines these concepts to help us process the chaotic interactions in nature.

Dades wrote: »
    Black Briar, I'm confused as to the point you're making in your last two posts, so let me try and clarify.

Your use of the phrase "ruling out" is not compatible with atheism, as it implies knowledge on the question of gods.

Atheism only deals with belief, and not absolutes. Atheism is compatible therefore with agnosticism, as one can acknowledge the fact that we do not know, and yet hold a belief, at the same time. Most people on this forum would be 'agnostic atheists', but given that's a bit of a mouthful we're cool with just being atheists.
    I guess where I'm coming from in my last few posts is my lack of comfort with what I've heard from most atheists that I know [and I know loads] and that is their willingness to confront other peoples belief in an unproven concept yet they are starting out from a similar position with their own belief.
    I'm speaking about the existence of a God or whatever you want to describe a starter entity and not religion.

Your quote from Isaac is simply a statement of his gut feeling on the subject and nothing more.Why should we believe his gut feelings on something as unknown as what started off this or mine for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

OP

There's an analogy I came across in a Philosophy class (in a very different context) that might help you understand this better.

You go to somebody's house, and they give you a cup of tea.

You have no way of proving that they didn't poison the tea. You can't prove that your host didn't slip some rat poison in the cup when you weren't looking, you can't be 100% positive of that at all.

But you still don't believe that they did poison the tea. If you did reserve judgement on whether the tea was poisoned, (i.e. if you were agnostic) you wouldn't drink it. But obviously this wouldn't be the case, and you would most likely drink the tea.

In order to believe something is the case (i.e. God exists, the tea has been poisoned etc), a rational person needs evidence.

In order to believe that something is not the case, you don't need evidence. You can rarely ever have 100% certainty that something isn't true. This applies to God, angels, poisoned tea, Santa Claus, international conspiracies, leadership in Irish politics, good acting in Fair City etc. This doesn't mean that its rational to suspend judgement on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I guess where I'm coming from in my last few posts is my lack of comfort with what I've heard from most atheists that I know [and I know loads] and that is their willingness to confront other peoples belief in an unproven concept yet they are starting out from a similar position with their own belief.
    I'm speaking about the existence of a God or whatever you want to describe a starter entity and not religion.

Your quote from Isaac is simply a statement of his gut feeling on the subject and nothing more.Why should we believe his gut feelings on something as unknown as what started off this or mine for that matter.

I think all that military conditioning screwed with your head. Still getting those memory black outs I see. They're getting worse man, it used to be just stuff prior to the Wombosi incident, now it's posts you read an hour ago.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I'm not following.

Theists make claims about the existence of supernatural deities. I reject these claims because I believe, based on good evidence and science, that they are most likely made up.
    Again you are on a belief there and so are the people you are talking about with any claim unless it is proven.
    So I'm not sure how we share beliefs. I don't believe that human like supernatural agents exist in nature, instead I believe (again based on strong evidence and science) that the human mind imagines these concepts to help us process the chaotic interactions in nature.
    Are you saying that by not ruling out a God,we humans use that concept for to explain the unknown then?
    Thats a similar direction of query I'd have to your post before this but in addition to that I've a comment on the following line from your second last post.
    their brain is set up to view these notions of agency in nature as sensible common sense.
    That line brings me back to see'ing you justifying a belief,your belief in this case which is what theists also do.
    The only difference is when you examine man made religions,it's easy to pick holes as a lot of it is down right ridiculous.
    Replace "lion" with "God" and "door" with "universe" and you have my view on religion.
    With respect,I wasn't asking you about religion.Thats another problem I have with these discussions,people arguing from various shades of your side of the fence on it,always feel the need to eventually mention religion.
    I was asking you about individual beliefs or more specifically the ultimate one whether something kick started this all off or not.
    You don't know,I don't know.
    No one knows,they just believe this that or the other.
    Nothing could be simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm an Apatheist. I don't care whether god exists or not.

strobe wrote: »
    I think all that military conditioning screwed with your head. Still getting those memory black outs I see. They're getting worse man, it used to be just stuff prior to the Wombosi incident, now it's posts you read an hour ago.
    You know,I dig the sarcasm,I really do but just not to confuse things I'd rather with respect stick to the topic at hand :)

Anyway,you're right about one thing and that is,I might forget this conversation as I have to go out now.I don't op round here too often,I just got involved in this discussion because it interests me.
    Theres a few other threads here,that I've also enjoyed reading today but haven't posted in.
    Time mightn't permit me to continue this for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I'm an antitheist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Cant talk for others, but thats not how my atheism works. I start out with skepticism and rationality. It just so happens that so far no religion has ever passed my criteria of being rational and overcome my skepticism. My default position is therefore one of atheism. I have no reason to believe in something if there is no reason to believe in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Atheism is pointless as a label if you don't restrict it to gods that have at least been imagined.
    It's nothing to do with believing Asimov it's just interesting his point about how he used to pretend to be agnostic because of the unknowable question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Very good but my point is(should have stated it better but was so ashamed of my LINGUISTICS) that with the world and our surroundings so full of unexplainable things...(The finite end of the universe!!). Is it not arrogant and indulgent of blind faith to tell oneself that there is no God, when one does not really have any proof to say there isn't.

Oh sweet divine I never thought of it like that!!:eek:...Oh.. hang about... where did God come from....:confused::(

Dades wrote: »
    Atheism is pointless as a label if you don't restrict it to gods that have at least been imagined.
    Thats my difficulty,I associate it with there being no God end of regardless of the protests to the contrary.
    For me it's impossible to distinguish the statement I don't believe theres a God from saying there is no God.
    I guess it's hard to accept that label from a personal perspective when most atheists or those that use the label that I met spend some time dissing the concept of a God because it can't be proven at this time when the corollary is also true.
    I guess if that position was ever resolved,there'd be no need for this forum.
    It's nothing to do with believing Asimov it's just interesting his point about how he used to pretend to be agnostic because of the unknowable question.
    Well what I meant was phrasing it better,why should we go along with his beliefs that are based on his gut feeling as opposed to our own.Mine tells me at this point that I don't share a fervency to advocate a disbelief or a belief but rather a respect for the unknown.
    I'm quite happy being there.

Now at this point I really do have to exit stage right :D I'll try to contribute further later if I remember, if needs be, but I think I've reasonably explained my particular position minus I hope disrespect for others.

Again you are on a belief there and so are the people you are talking about with any claim unless it is proven.

Nothing about the natural world can be proven. Proof is something that exists only in mathematics.

So I'm assuming you mean proven as in lay mans terms, ie something that is well supported by scientific models.

And the idea that humans imagine supernatural agents in nature is well supported by scientific models.
    Are you saying that by not ruling out a God,we humans use that concept for to explain the unknown then?

Sort of, I'm saying that the human mind imagines human like agents acting in nature for our benefit and we use this to explain why things in the natural world happen.

So it rains because Thor is pleased with the Vikings. Or an Earthquake takes place because Zeus is mad at the Greeks.

Or in a more modern context, you get sick and your Catholic grandmother prays to God and you get better so she thinks God did something. It is easier to process your illness in terms of God doing something than the chaotic and complicated world of medical disease, baterica, immune systems.

So it doesn't even need to be something we don't understand. We apply it to thinks even if we understand them. We know how a lot of disease works, but people still pray to God to cure their loved ones. We know how airbags work but people still thank God that they survived a car accident. On a sub conscious level this makes more sense, this is something they can process easier, it takes less mental effort to imagine God saved you from the car accident than to process all the different natural causes for why you didn't die.

It comes down to how our brains work.
    That line brings me back to see'ing you justifying a belief,your belief in this case which is what theists also do.

I'm really not following that point of yours, can you expand on it. How am I justify my belief like a theist?
    The only difference is when you examine man made religions,it's easy to pick holes as a lot of it is down right ridiculous.

Isn't that a pretty good reason to be an atheist?
    With respect,I wasn't asking you about religion.Thats another problem I have with these discussions,people arguing from various shades of your side of the fence on it,always feel the need to eventually mention religion.
    I was asking you about individual beliefs or more specifically the ultimate one whether something kick started this all off or not.

That is what religion is.
    You don't know,I don't know.
    No one knows,they just believe this that or the other.
    Nothing could be simpler.

Depends on what you mean by "know". If you equate "know" with have absolute certainty of your correctness (ie proof) I would be interested in what you think you know about anything.

Can you name something you know rather than believe? Because I think you will find that you can't actually be certain of anything to a 100% level of accuracy.

Apply that only to the question of God seems silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well seeing as I'm late to this party. (I'm late to all parties nowadays:()

OP,

Let's assess your original post.
    Discuss class!
    How can a person be an Atheist? If if a religious person is acting on blind faith in their belief of a God, how can an Atheist not be acting on blind faith to conclude that there IS NO GOD! There is no scientific fact or proof that GOD DOES NOT EXIST!
    Before anyone asks i am Agnostic!

Heading is wrong i know!!!!

First of all you have made the assertion that atheism requires faith. Atheism in its strictest definition does not require faith. The only condition necessary to make someone (or something!) an atheist is that they lack belief in a deity(ies). In the same way that being healthy is not a disease, atheism in its strictest sense, is a not a faith or religion. As this is a point, that many people tend to get wrong so often I'll elaborate a little further. Every organism alive today that doesn't have the brain capacity necessary to believe in deities is an atheist because it lacks belief in one. This includes the media device that you are using to read this text, the banana I ate for lunch, the shoes you wore this morning and the photons of light currently interacting in your eyes. It also includes every dead human body as these bodies no longer have functioning capacities for believing they are atheist.

In fact, the whole world around you is atheist barring just a few living gill less, organic, RNA/DNA protein based, metabolic/metazoic, nucleic, diploid, bilaterally-symmetrical, endothermic, digestive/trypoblast, opisthokont, deuterostome, coelemate, with a spinal chord and 12 cranial nerves connecting to a limbic system in an enlarged cerebal cortex with a reduced olfactory region inside a jawed-skull with specialized teeth including canines and premolars, forward-oriented fully-enclosed optical orbits, and a single temporal fenestra, attached to a vertebrate hind-leg dominant tetrapoidal skeleton with a sacral pelvis, clavical, and wrist & ankle bones; and having lungs, tear ducts, body-wide hair follicles, lactal mammaries, opposable thumbs, and keratinized dermis with chitinous nails on all five digits on all four extremities, in addition to an embryonic development in amniotic fluid, leading to a placental birth and creatures with highly social lifestyles (usually!)*. Which just goes to show how much of a pointless term atheism really is. Yes, you could possibly make the argument that atheism is something that can only be used to describe humans, but just like the soul problem for evolution, where exactly along our evolutionary line can you say that one of ancestors doesn’t have the possibility of being an atheist? In my opinion, you can’t and so then I don’t really see how it’s possible to discern between anything alive or dead as not having the possibility of being classed as an atheist. An entity either has belief or doesn’t; theist or atheist. The very position of “not knowing” is also atheist because the entity is lacking belief. Put it this way, if you’re not sure that a person is guilty of a committing crime you are actually rejecting the positive notion that he is guilty and therefore you are an “aguiltiest” . Likewise, you are also rejecting the notion that he is innocent and the term “ainnocent” doesn’t mean you belief he is guilty. In terms of the atheism concept the terms “aguiltiest” and “ainnoncent” are the equivalent of “atheism” (The Big Religions today believe all humans are guilty of a crime) and “a-atheism” (most atheists also reject the notion that that is no God). The latter term is not existent so the term atheism can be used to describe people that both lack belief in God and positively disbelieve that there is no God.

So, if you are an atheist by lacking belief in a deity does not necessarily mean that you believe that the deity doesn’t exist, you just don’t know and remain unconvinced by the evidence and reasoning presented for his existence. Yep, so regardless of how they like to self proclaim themselves all agnostics are essentially agnostic atheists , unless they happen to be agnostic theists, which is something that deserves another thread all of its own. Basically in a nutshell, these are the people who don’t admit they cannot know if God exists or not but choose to believe in him anyways. In my experience most moderate theists fall into this category, but again, that’s just my experience. Agnostic atheists are the opposite. They admit they cannot know if God exists or not, but they merely choose not to believe in him. Most of the posters on this forum are agnostic atheists. I’ve only ever met one atheist who actually believed with 100% certainty that there was no God. In my opinion his position is just as irrational as that of the theist and agnostic theist. But, sadly, most people have this notion in their heads that all atheists are essentially like him. Right, that the first part addressed now, time for the second bit.

There is such a thing as faith based atheism, but, let's be clear here, atheism in its strictest sense, DOES NOT require faith. Buddhists are the conveniently over used example here as many of them have something akin to religious faith.. That’s one form of faith based atheism. Obviously, “faith” in this sense is the equivalent of the faith concept that religious people have. This kind of faith is about committing yourself to the doctrines of your religion and most people who have this kind of faith actually have personal experiences of God or the supernatural. There is, however, another kind of faith that should most definitely not be confused with religious faith.

Many atheists who lack belief in a deity will arrive at their decision because – and here is when the fun begins- they believe that beliefs require evidence. However, this stance of beliefs requiring evidence has itself no evidence and is a position based on faith (Though, obviously not the same kind of faith as religious faith.) . It quite simply is an assumption and I’m sure most atheists will openly admit that. Unlike religious folks, they won’t merely assert that it is true. They’ll just argue its validity because of how pragmatic that assumption has turned out to be. Empiricism itself is heavily laden on this assumption and its thanks to empiricism that a significant amount of humans enjoy the comfy lives and long life expectancies they have today. (I could also argue it from a non pragmatic viewpoint but unless Rah! show’s up I have no intention of writing another page to this already huge post. So basically in a nutshell, the best method of inquiry into the truth is rational scepticism in my view and the methodology that best fits scepticism is empiricism.)

There is also a third kind of faith that both the religious and non religious alike share. This faith is really just trust. For example, when reading about science I have faith that the over whelming majority of humans are being honest in what they are claiming. Likewise, I have faith that my close friends will always do their best to help me should a crisis ever arise. Time and again in religious debates, theists love to conflate this third kind of faith with their own religious faith in front of lay audiences. And, it quite frankly, is in my view not even wrong**.

All those above kinds of faith not withdstanding, atheism in its strictest sense doesn’t require any of them. That doesn’t mean you will find atheists who have those types of faiths in their philosophical outlooks on life. And, this turned out much longer than I originally intended it to be, so if you read it all, thanks. :)

Oh and finally, science doesn't prove anything but I'm sure by now this eight page old thread has plenty of responses about this.

* Many thanks must go to Goduznt Xzst, a Eudaimonic Consequentialist Utilitarian determinist, moral nihilist, positivist, naturalist cynic & skeptic, an Atheist, strong Explicit regarding Theism but Weak Explicit regarding Deism with an Enneatype of Five.

** A term used to describe something that is so wrong it doesn’t even deserve to be classed under the category of wrong.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Nothing about the natural world can be proven. Proof is something that exists only in mathematics.

So I'm assuming you mean proven as in lay mans terms, ie something that is well supported by scientific models.
    Well for God,I mean eye withness reports and not by people I might consider quacks.
    Or in a more modern context, you get sick and your Catholic grandmother prays to God and you get better so she thinks God did something. It is easier to process your illness in terms of God doing something than the chaotic and complicated world of medical disease, baterica, immune systems.
    Well I'm sure Granny believes that but she could be right.
    We could scientifically show how I got better but we can't prove,it was or was not directed by a God leaving us with just the physical process thats explainable.
    So many ponderables.
    So it doesn't even need to be something we don't understand. We apply it to thinks even if we understand them. We know how a lot of disease works, but people still pray to God to cure their loved ones. We know how airbags work but people still thank God that they survived a car accident. On a sub conscious level this makes more sense, this is something they can process easier, it takes less mental effort to imagine God saved you from the car accident than to process all the different natural causes for why you didn't die.
    You're veering back into a discussion on the human mind again and the origins of Religion.
    My interest lies in the origin of the universe and unfortunately CNN didn't come before it.
    I'm really not following that point of yours, can you expand on it. How am I justify my belief like a theist?
    you are using parables,stories,analogies etc,many of which are similar to what religions use to explain your position but none of which can possibly tell me where all this started.
    Isn't that a pretty good reason to be an atheist?
    Not for me if it implies fervency to debunk other peoples beliefs which unfortunately is my on the ground experience.
    That is what religion is.
    No it is not.
    Not knowing what started this .Religion is a worship vessel primarily..
    Depends on what you mean by "know". If you equate "know" with have absolute certainty of your correctness (ie proof) I would be interested in what you think you know about anything.
    I can see obviously what you appear to be trying to do there,it's called obfuscation.It doesn't lead me any closer to what I really want to know that I don't know.
    Can you name something you know rather than believe? Because I think you will find that you can't actually be certain of anything to a 100% level of accuracy.
    I know I'm sitting in a chair.I know I can physically see that and touch it.I know that it is called a chair and I know that I've accepted that name for it.
    Where are you going with that line of reasoning because it's uhm...alienating my desire to like corresponding if you continue in that direction.
    Apply that only to the question of God seems silly.
    Why?

Well for God,I mean eye withness reports and not by people I might consider quacks.

That doesn't prove anything, far from it. You have eye witness reports for all sorts of things.

One of the best examples of how this is far from proof of anything is an example in Holland where a zoo reported on the news that a red panda had escaped. The zoo keepers eventually found the poor animal stuck behind a gate, so he had never actually got out of the zoo.

2,000 people rang the police station to report that they had seen a red panda wandering around the two. 2,000 people saw a panda that didn't exist! And Christians think it is proof that Jesus was resurrected because 500 people claim to have saw him.
    Well I'm sure Granny believes that but she could be right.
    She could be, but most likely she isn't. Storks could deliver babies, but most likely they don't.

It is about assessing which alternative explanation is the most plausible based on our current knowledge.
    You're veering back into a discussion on the human mind again and the origins of Religion.

I'm providing an alternative explanation for why people have religious experiences and feelings without requiring that the particulars of their religion are actually true.
    My interest lies in the origin of the universe and unfortunately CNN didn't come before it.
    you are using parables,stories,analogies etc,many of which are similar to what religions use to explain your position but none of which can possibly tell me where all this started.

I'm not claiming to know where "all this" started, I'm explaining why it is quite unlikely it is the explanation put forward by religious people.

It is not a requirement to know what is behind the door to know that the guy beside me doesn't know it is a lion.

Equally I don't have to know what created the universe to know it most likely wasn't what theists claim it was.
    Not knowing what started this .Religion is a worship vessel primarily..

Religion is a structured set of supernatural beliefs shared by members of the religion. Most religions have creation myths since that is one of the things we are fascinated about.
    I can see obviously what you appear to be trying to do there,it's called obfuscation.It doesn't lead me any closer to what I really want to know that I don't know.

I don't really care what you really want to know. I responded to your claim that agnostic belief is the only credible belief and that atheism is not based on science.

That is not true, as I hope I've explained. Your search for wider answers to what ever question you want to have answered is rather here nor there.
    I know I'm sitting in a chair.I know I can physically see that and touch it.I know that it is called a chair and I know that I've accepted that name for it.

Prove to me you are sitting in a chair. Saying "but I am" isn't proof. You could be wrong. You could be lying on the floor having a stroke. You could be a brain in a jar. You assess that you probably aren't, but that isn't proof because no matter what you believe there is always the possibility, no matter how slim, that you can be wrong.

Because you know you are sitting in a chair doesn't mean you have proved it, nor that you cannot be wrong. You might be wrong, though you are assessing right now that it is rather unlikely, but still possible.

What we term as knowledge is really just a belief that we hold with very strong confidence based on rational assessment and evidence.

And that is what atheists do.
    Why?

Because it is logically inconsistent, and suggests an emotional motivation rather than a rational one.

People often like to say you can't prove God doesn't exist because they like to hold onto the idea that he might, even though you can't prove you are sitting in a chair or that storks don't bring babies and that doesn't stop you from concluding that you are in a chair and that they don't bring babies.

Not being able to prove God doesn't exist doesn't preclude you from knowing he doesn't so long as you realize that, as with anything, there is always the possibility that you might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Excellent post Malty T, alas I think the OP has done a runner.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Excellent post Malty T

Thanks, Malty will suffice. :)

alas I think the OP has
    done a runner.
    Some thoughts are best kept to yourself.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Some thoughts are best kept to yourself.

Not those ones though - I for one was fascinated by your post. Pity the OP legged it, s/he might have learned something (or possibly not, sadly, given his / her previous propensity to shut out everyone else's point of view, and go to bed happy that s/he was right).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Take heart Malty, it's not about changing the minds of the trolls stubborn tireless rebutters, but those in the middle who are undecided. They will look at his points,then yours, and if they have a modicum of sense they will decide that you were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The op didn't 'leg it'. The op has a life outside boards and is not a 'troll'. If an atheist is an atheist. why is an atheist debating an 'irrelevant' question such as whether Agnosticism is the logical step from Atheism. How can an atheist discuss this question reasonably and intelligently without considering, voluntarily or naturally this question?

The fact that this topic is open for debate is proof to the statement. Nothing can be certain. Therefore a logical mind has to agnostic.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Take heart Malty, it's not about changing the minds of the trolls stubborn tireless rebutters, but those in the middle who are undecided. They will look at his points,then yours, and if they have a modicum of sense they will decide that you were right.

Why make stupid offensive comments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Have you read ANY of the arguments that span the 8 pages of this thread... I would suggest you take a closer look because the answers are in there.

I did. Its all over emphasised, overconfident arguments. I dont think im getting the definitions wrong. Atheism is the absence of belief of other 'higher' being. But THATS ILLOGICAL! NOBODY knows that there is nothing out there higher than us. This cant be proved or disproved! BASED on so many variables, physically, physiologically, psychologically naturally etc which are WAY outside the grasp of our human minds ...THE.... NEXT..... LOGICAL..... STEP..... IS...... TO...... CONCEDE..... THAT...... ONE...... DOESNT...... KNOW.... FOR... SURE..... SO.... ONE.... LOGICAL..... HAS..... TO..... MOVE..... TO.... AGNOSTICISM!!!!!!
    Atheism is as illogical as any other faith! And it IS a faith system! Like all the others based on unprovable BELIEFS! Nothing said here has explained these arguments. Anyhow i feel im in a forum full of people who are questioning their own logic but aren't open to arguments but just want to push their own arguments!

I did. Its all over emphasised, overconfident arguments. I dont think im getting the definitions wrong. Atheism is the absence of belief of other 'higher' being. But THATS ILLOGICAL! NOBODY knows that there is nothing out there higher than us. This cant be proved or disproved! BASED on so many variables, physically, physiologically, psychologically naturally etc which are WAY outside the grasp of our human minds ... THE.... NEXT..... LOGICAL..... STEP..... IS...... TO...... CONCEDE..... THAT...... ONE...... DOESNT...... KNOW.... FOR... SURE..... SO.... ONE.... LOGICAL..... HAS..... TO..... MOVE..... TO.... AGNOSTICISM!!!!!!
    Atheism is as illogical as any other faith! And it IS a faith system! Like all the others based on unprovable BELIEFS! Nothing said here has explained these arguments. Anyhow i feel im in a forum full of people who are questioning their own logic but aren't open to arguments but just want to push their own arguments!

Thanks very much for not even reading my post. Oh and if you say you read it, why not try reading your post own by using my post and other posts like it as devil's advocate, to at the very least understand our argument.

I did Malty and i appreciate the effort and the articulation in it. But my points still stand. I give up. Please just close this thread. I cant convince my brother to be more open to ideas. I sure as hell wont convince strangers. Ha Ha.
    Ps. that post from Galvasean was uncalled for and the work of something i wouldn't want to have a pint with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I did Malty and i appreciate the effort and the articulation in it. But my points still stand. I give up. Please just close this thread. I cant convince my brother to be more open to ideas. I sure as hell wont convince strangers. Ha Ha.
    Ps. that post from Galvasean was uncalled for and the work of something i wouldn't want to have a pint with.

Scobaly dosobaly dobaly doo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement