Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Herby12 wrote: »
    I try to cancel direct debit but the lady in the AIB said that they need some information from the imagine and she also said that if they don't give me information what I need a can cancel DD on the day when they charge my account so I will watching.
    alanfa wrote: »
    the bank explained to me that once Imagine have your details the bank must process their request and if they seek funds they may get them, and bank charges on £12 apply every time the bank decline to pay the DD

Banks are forever trying to pull this sh*t on people. If your bank's staff don't know how to do thier job, then tell them to read the Direct Debit rulebook. Also have a look at all the information on this page.

Of particular note is this part:

# You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account
    # You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your bank

So, cancel your direct debit, take no nonsense from the bank about this, and if they continue to refuse to cancel it, tell them you'll report it to the Regulator. Return the modem to Imagine, with a letter that tells them you're finished with them and returning it under the cooling off period as you are entitled to do without any penalty.

Note that you must actually pay for any days of service you used before returning the modem. That's all you need to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Herby12

AIB has no option to cancel direct debit with you internet banking and when I was in AIB I also asked if its there set-up a DD on my account and their said no. Imagine always set-up a DD on your account on the day when first payment should be taken.
    Is there anybody who have the same problem as me and trying to resolve the problem through comreg. I will be very pleased to join him.
    And I write to message to comreg and now I waiting for reply. So we will see.

I just send the mail to imagine:
    So if you don't want to cancel my contract within 7 days cooling off period I'm about cancel my Direct Debit and I will send you your equipment back at Friday 15.10,2010 and there is no cancellation fee.
    I thinking about contact comreg.
    Thank you very much.

We will see what they reply and if nothing happened I will contact comreg tomorrow or I put then on small claim court.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Good stuff. Make sure to keep us updated on how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

wimax is just a crap service,i order a 7mb off them and i only got around 1mb to 2mb speed total ****,i live in dublin 10 area ,whats the point off payin for a 7mb speed and you only gettin half of what im payin for,then when i cancel it they have a cheek of asking for E100 just to cancel it,

dont pay the E100 becouse they are Not fulfuling there contract in any way........

• Advertisement

So I just get another mail it was 5:49:
    As I have already advised your cooling off period was up in September, we sent the welcome letter out on the 16th of September and the courier company tried to contact you from the 22nd of September but to no avail. We then resent the modem out to you on the 11th of October, you set up the service and to date have not tried to contact our Technical Support Department to advise that you are having issues with the WiMax service.

If you cancel the service as you are within a 12 month contract you will be charged a E100.00 cancellation fee.
    And my reply:
    First thing I advise you that Im on holidays and I will be available at 1 of October so you should send me the invitation letter on 1 October or later that's mean my cooling off period should starts at October.
    Second thing is that cooling off period starts at the day when a receipt the service that was at 11.10.2010.
    Third thing is that I sign for 7Mb a I getting something around 1Mb.
    I will send you your Internet hub back at Friday and I cancel my direct debit already.
    I will contact comreg at friday as well.
    I just ask you to cancel my contract within 7 days of receipt the service with no cancellation fee. I just asking for my statutory rights.
    And again just waiting for another mail. Can somebody tell me if I'm right or imagine?
    Never, ever never Imagine wimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

See if you can work out what day you actually set up the online serivce with IMAGINE. There should be a mail in you inbox with something like,

"Congratulations, you're now up and running on WiMax. We hope you're enjoying the experience"

as the first line. I would think that you cooling off peroid would only start from the date you were actually in a position to see what the service is like. As such as long as you tried to cancel within 7 days from this day IMAGINE do not have a leg to stand on. Get in touch with ComReg and make sure you have all the days written down as they will ask for this and it will really help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭alanfa

As I have already advised your cooling off period was up in September, we sent the welcome letter out on the 16th of September and the courier company tried to contact you from the 22nd of September but to no avail. We then resent the modem out to you on the 11th of October, you set up the service and to date have not tried to contact our Technical Support Department to advise that you are having issues with the WiMax service.

If you cancel the service as you are within a 12 month contract you will be charged a E100.00 cancellation fee.
    And my reply:
    First thing I advise you that Im on holidays and I will be available at 1 of October so you should send me the invitation letter on 1 October or later that's mean my cooling off period should starts at October.
    Second thing is that cooling off period starts at the day when a receipt the service that was at 11.10.2010.
    I will send you your Internet hub back at Friday and I cancel my direct debit already.
    I just ask you to cancel my contract within 7 days of receipt the service with no cancellation fee. I just asking for my statutory rights.
    And again just waiting for another mail. Can somebody tell me if I'm right or imagine?

I told ya they are absolute scum

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Just tell them that they did not fulfill there contract......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just found this on youtube... thought you'd all get a kick out of it:

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

And my reply:

You're right... a cooling off period for a service starts at the beginning of the service delivery not from point of sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Make sure you also complain to those lazy tossers in the National Consumer Agency , a cooling off starts WHEN YOU TAKE DELIVERY of the FULL PRODUCT not when you ORDER it as Achilles said.

Read this.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Guides/Full%20List/Remote%20Selling.html

There may even be 2 breaches so make the NCA do their job.

EG

a) Distance Selling Regulations/Distance Selling Directive
    b) e-Commerce regulations.

I haven't time to look further but the NCA does. Get them on the case today.

After week of complaining they have to did something with my service because when I get the wimax my speed was 0.65 Mbps and now after the week of complaining I getting at least 5mbps no mater what time is it and in the morning the speed is around 7 - 8.5 Mbps.icon10.gif

So I need advice cancel it or no.
    I think I stay whit wimax and if the speed drops down I can cancel the service any time because they have a record that I try to cancel my contract in cooling off period so there will be no cancellation fee.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have a choice to get "real broadband", get it as the service could be brutal in a week, month or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭alanfa

I am 3 months trying to cancel, it would be easier to get rid of bubonic plague, are they gonna give ya credit for the **** service ya had before

I have another question why I have to pay installation fee when I just get internet hub not the antenna and I installed hub myself so what's the point paying installation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have another question why I have to pay installation fee when I just get internet hub not the antenna and I installed hub myself so what's the point paying installation fee.

To get screwed over, that's why!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

I think that's what's called an activation fee, and not an installation fee.
    Installation fee is €100 for the external antenna.

deravarra wrote: »
    I think that's what's called an activation fee, and not an installation fee.
    Installation fee is €100 for the external antenna.

Aha thats very nice from imagine. Activation fee I think thats very expensive to get a automatic message /congratulation you are now connected/ thats worth a 50Eur.
    I think they have fees for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 the_real_dave

Hmmm, well in stark contrast to just about every other post in this thread, I'm incredibly happy with my service from Imagine.

My speed is great, and consistant, 3.8-5Mb on a 3Mb package. I've been using the service since the middle of September and am 6km from the main antenna.

I have an external antenna placed on my chimney. During the install I requested that the cabling be brought through my attic. Due to their own insurance issues, they're not allowed to enter attics. I told them so, to leave me the necessary cables and I would bring it through my attic. They did so, and returned two days later as agreed, and had the system running in no time. The external antenna is quite small and neat.

I have had no speed/connection issues bar a bug I've found with my torrent program. If I allow large numbers of peers to connect, without limiting upload speed, my internet becomes incredibly congested, and unresponsive. I can only assume that the number of requests being sent out conflict with the software that limits the upload speed (which is .5Mb, and stays at it). The problem is easily solved by limiting upload speeds to .4Mb, allowing spare upload bandwidth. And yes, you can simply request for them to remove all firewalls from your modem, or to open specific ports, allowing full speed torrent downloading. (For me ~500KB/s, 5Mb/s)

When they say "No bandwidth limit" they mean it. I have downloaded in excess of 500GB in total in September and October, and have uploaded perhaps 120GB (I only track my download usage).

I've found their customer support helpful and polite, much better than some others (Perlico!! >.<)

Most of the issues raised here deal with people either acting like idiots and expecting Imagine to take the blame for their own mistakes, or people using the indoor hubs. I've very little experience with them (A friend of mine in Mallow town gets 2MB on a 1MB package on his).

People should not be put off Imagine by this thread. I've been through many ISPs, Eircom, Perlico, Vodafone, O2, 3 and now Imagine, and so far, Imagine are on top. The service and support are great for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 the_real_dave

Aha thats very nice from imagine. Activation fee I think thats very expensive to get a automatic message /congratulation you are now connected/ thats worth a 50Eur.
    I think they have fees for everything.

Other ISPs have equivalent fees. It's a common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

while wimax might work good for you it WILL Not for everyone its based on a similar system that 02,3,vf etc use for 3G its a mobile wimax instead of a fixed one wait till more people sign up in your area then things will get bad !!!;);)

Hmmm, well in stark contrast to just about every other post in this thread, I'm incredibly happy with my service from Imagine.

My speed is great, and consistant, 3.8-5Mb on a 3Mb package. I've been using the service since the middle of September and am 6km from the main antenna.

I have an external antenna placed on my chimney. During the install I requested that the cabling be brought through my attic. Due to their own insurance issues, they're not allowed to enter attics. I told them so, to leave me the necessary cables and I would bring it through my attic. They did so, and returned two days later as agreed, and had the system running in no time. The external antenna is quite small and neat.

I have had no speed/connection issues bar a bug I've found with my torrent program. If I allow large numbers of peers to connect, without limiting upload speed, my internet becomes incredibly congested, and unresponsive. I can only assume that the number of requests being sent out conflict with the software that limits the upload speed (which is .5Mb, and stays at it). The problem is easily solved by limiting upload speeds to .4Mb, allowing spare upload bandwidth. And yes, you can simply request for them to remove all firewalls from your modem, or to open specific ports, allowing full speed torrent downloading. (For me ~500KB/s, 5Mb/s)

When they say "No bandwidth limit" they mean it. I have downloaded in excess of 500GB in total in September and October, and have uploaded perhaps 120GB (I only track my download usage).

I've found their customer support helpful and polite, much better than some others (Perlico!! >.<)

Most of the issues raised here deal with people either acting like idiots and expecting Imagine to take the blame for their own mistakes, or people using the indoor hubs. I've very little experience with them (A friend of mine in Mallow town gets 2MB on a 1MB package on his).

People should not be put off Imagine by this thread. I've been through many ISPs, Eircom, Perlico, Vodafone, O2, 3 and now Imagine, and so far, Imagine are on top. The service and support are great for me.

Did you get external antenna instaled for 50 Eur or you have to pay 100eru. Thanks for answer if you get external antenna for 50 I will request change my internal hub for antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

hello, im on eircom NGB, im getting something like 6mb download, would it be worth to sign in with imagine wimax?

You'd be mad.

Imagine WiMax isn't Fixed Wireless, nor Real Broadband. It's more like a Mobile system with most of the disadvantages without actually being truly Mobile (3.6GHz too high a frequency) and not actually National (no National Licence, just circles of licence, with poor coverage for Mobile in that).

This (link http://www.techtir.ie/comms/mobile-vs-fixed ) is mostly about 3G Mobile. But a lot applies to Imagine WiMax also. You currently have real Fixed Broadband. You would only want to swap to Magnet (LLU or Fibre), UPC Cable, Smart/Digiweb (Fibre or LLU) or Digiweb Metro.

Anything else would be a big step backwards.

The only major advantages of Imagine Wimax over 3G/HSPA Mobile from 3, O2, Meteor/eircom or Vodafone is lack of cell breathing and slightly higher capacity (both likely offset by more congestion of higher Cap)

Yes they should.

Your experience is not typical. Inherently on average DSL (perlico and eircom) is far better than Imagine WiMax. The 3G/HSPA of Vodafone, O2, 3 and Meteor/eircom on average is inherently a bit worse, but unlike Imagine WiMax is genuine National Coverage and works far better Portable. 3G is on 2100MHz and Imagine Wimax is 3.6GHz which is an unsuitably high band for their system. At that band they should ONLY use outdoor radio sets with directional aerials. Most of the Imagine WiMax are near Omnidirectional indoor units. It's inherently a poorly engineered wasteful system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

People should most certainly be put off by this thread. Granted it's individual experiences and should not be considered as proof of general service but one or two good reports in 94 pages of complaining is hardly good advertising.

In my opinion they are liars, crooks and cheats. They sold me their product before it was even fully available in my area (they were still upgrading ripwave) they promised fast uninterupted service and my average speed is 2.3 on a 7Mb package even the phone service is crap, and from the looks of things here getting rid will be a nightmare.

I would drop to my knees and beg if someone told me they were going to go with these thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

I have WIMAX in Waterford City for nearly 3 months.

It is just so much better than the Vodaphone fixed line BB that I had.

The 7mb package generally runs close to the 7mb and sometimes quite a bit faster.

I did have a couple of days where I was only getting between 1 - 2 mbit but I complained and that seemed to be sorted after that.

There are up to six computers and an xbox running on it.

I have seen downloads running at 800 kbit.

I have the external antenna.

At 45 euro a month, I break even on the installation costs in around 10 months. Vodaphone was 62 euro a month.

I had terrible problems with Vodaphone disconnecting every now and again.

They would not accept that they had a problem and would only send an engineer with the threat of charging me 150 euro if he did not find a fault at or before the master socket.

While Wimax may not be perfect, it works fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

ei9go wrote: »

The 7mb package generally runs close to the 7mb and sometimes quite a bit faster.

I did have a couple of days where I was only getting between 1 - 2 mbit but I complained and that seemed to be sorted after that.

At 45 euro a month, I break even on the installation costs in around 10 months. Vodaphone was 62 euro a month.

They would not accept that they had a problem and would only send an engineer with the threat of charging me 150 euro if he did not find a fault at or before the master socket.

Are they doing Wimax with an external antenna or is that the Breeze product?

If its the Breeze product, there is little in common ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

ei9go wrote: »

Bear in mind WIMAX is a technology not a specific provider. This thread relates to IMAGINE wimax which uses a nomadic midband service, it's a dressed up version of Irish Broadband. There's nothing wrong with Wimax as a technology it's how IMAGINE are making a hash of it is the issue here. There are other wimax providers are you sure that yours is IMAGINE since the whole external arial thing sounds like your service is with a fixed Wimax provider.

Advertisement