Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

robinph runs around roads

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gerard65 wrote: »
    EH, I hope thats an individual prize and not a team prize.

I'll save your part of the team prize for you and BeepBeep67 at the next race, someone else who knows him nabbed his individual prize though before we realised that his name had been called out.

The next race being the NCF where there will be a chance of winning some more items for the prize garden that was started last year:

3241382133_d982037308.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Ah yes, I remember the primrose from last year - which were going out of season:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And just to finish of a conversation from during the coffee and brack eating from after todays race...I've just looked up my times from last year and did the same course in 33:53 and my road 5 mile PB is currently from last years RTE at 30:57.

Didn't get to run at what has become my normal time today so went out later instead, it's bleeding cold outside at night time. Did 7 and a bit @ 7:20'ish today

On looking back through my runs for this year I spotted that my most miles done so far was during the height of the snow, so figured I'd best get out and go a bit further today and so I went and did 15 @ 7:30 today.

I was still starting to struggle with the sugar levels right at the end despite heading out with a high BG of 13.? at the start and took 5 gels on the way round and then finished at 5.9, which isn't actually low, but by the time I'd caught my breath back and found my test kit again it will have climbed back up a bit since I'd actually finished running. I think my only option now is to actually plan ahead the day before as to when I'm going to be doing these longer runs and cut back on the meds more before hand. I'm just not happy tieing myself down to what I will be doing more than 24hours before hand, but it looks like that is the only way round this now.

• Advertisement

Kind of forgot about this over the last week, but I have still been out for some running ... and a couple of races since the last post. The training has been a 5, a 7, a 5, a 4 and a 12.

Then interspersed with that I also did a 2 mile race around Raheny which I manage to finish in 11:15 which was about 15 seconds off my previous time for that route I think, was also a slightly bigger field in the race last week so more chance of someone to try and chase down, or keep in front of. Then on the Sunday there was the Raheny 5 as well where I knocked 3 minutes off the time I got last year which I guess has to be down to wearing the BAC vest this time around.

I think I may have got a bit carried away with one of my runs earlier in the week when I ended up doing 7'ish @6:50 just to see what it felt like as yesterday I went out with the intention of doing 10-12'ish, but after the first mile decided I wasn't interested and so headed back sooner and only doing 5'ish. I'd worn my Camelbak on the way as well but must have done it up a bit funny as I now have a couple of grazes on my back where it was rubbing, and that now really stings when the top of my jeans now touch it. And I never even used the water or gels on that run anyway once I'd decided I was wimping out of going any further.

Now today I've just decided to wimp out from going for a run at all as I'm just totally not in the mood today. Doing the race tomorrow should sort my head out again though, and then I plan on going and drinking beer and watching some rugby to properly clear the head.

A day off running and suffereing with a hangover does wonders for my running. :D

I had a little 5 mile jog around a field in Swords on Saturday in 30:23 and I then spent Sunday sat quietly in the corner. Then yesterday I just did a slightly hilly 5 and a bit @7:50'ish pace. I then proceeded to change my meds around in preparation for doing a long run today and knocked things down by more than before. Again I think I may have changed things a bit too much to be able to deal with the rest of the day, but despite the BM of 17+ before hand I went out and did just over 18 miles @ 7:45. Got through 6 gels on the way round and then had a BM of 6'ish afterwards. Clearly still need to mess around with things a touch as that much of a drop is not workable for marathon day, but it was great to be able to make it all the way round that far and still feel good with the running and able to actually stand upright. :)

As promised here is an extracted version of my training done this year in the lead up to Rotterdam and Dublin marathons.

Rotterdam was a very painful, wall encountering effort. Dublin was an equally painful day, but without any walls and a successful crossing of the finish line having run all the way and breaking all the targets which I didn't really think I was going to get, followed by a big grin and a few refreshing pints. From a quick perusal of the numbers as I was adding up the weekly totals I think I had done more miles in the lead up to Rotterdam during the snow than I did before Dublin. It was only towards the end of the race in Dublin that I actually started to believe that I might make it, but I was always expecting to blow up. I know I don't do enough training for anything more than about a half distance.

This is not being posted up as any kind of example of "how to do a sub3", I'm not that stupid, it is not being posted up as a "look how little training you can get away with doing". It is just a "this is what robinph did".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

robinph wrote: »
    This is not being posted up as any kind of example of "how to do a sub3", I'm not that stupid, it is not being posted up as a "look how little training you can get away with doing". It is just a "this is what robinph did".

Think I just found my sub-3 training plan, all the others look too tough. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bit dusty in here.

Love it:) Had a quick look - your longest run was under 19mls, no recovery runs and basically blasting every run. I think its fair to say your not into these coaching guru's:D

Definitely not into following any kind of plan. What has changed since Rotterdam though is that I've been doing some different type of training with the club, not sure exactly what the rest of you would call it, but basically we get sent off to do some distance between 300'ish or 900'ish at a fast pace and repeat however many times. I think that probably helped me in being able to up the pace (or just keep it constant) as the 3hr pacer went past me at 21miles.

It is a possibility that the surviving the distance was partially down to me fecking up my meds the day before. I did get the meds wrong unintentionally before DCM 2008 where I survived the distance, I did them approximately correctly before Rotterdam and had a nightmare at the last 10k, so this weekend I deliberately did things wrong and I survived.

In order to prove it one way or the other though would take a lot more marathons and I guess that is partially down to why I am now saying that I'll probably not bother with them again as they are too much hassle.

These 'meds' you write about, I'm intrigued, and yes, I would like to sign up to your newsletter:)

I think I messed up the numbers in a couple of points in that xls as there are some 10km and 5km races in there which I've calculated as if they were mile distances. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference though, but I was trying to work out when I'd run 3:40 for a mile, let alone 10 of them. :D

Here is an actual race report type thing for your entertainment:

Landed in Dublin off a very chatty plane full of people coming over for the marathon and then head to the hotel to check in. Had been expecting them to not be having breakfast available in the hotel early enough on the Monday morning so had travelled with some emergency supplies, at checkin though they tell me that breakfast will be available from 6am for marathon runners, and do I want a complimentary massage as well. So get myself booked in for the massage and then head off to the RSD to fetch my number. Wasn’t possible to get on the bus out to the RDS as they were too packed so shared a taxi with some other people who were stood around in new looking runners and looking a bit lost about what to do and where the expo actually was. Got number, had a bit of a wander, had a bit of a chat with a few people, then (via Pennys to pick up a tshirt and gloves to throw away) back to hotel for massage, food and sleep.

Sleep didn’t go too well and I was up at about 2am and don’t think I really got off again after that. Met a few people as wandering around at the start and getting ready, felt great, but also actually quite nervous. Normally I’d feel fine, and not really be caring much about anything that was to come, before this one certainly felt different.

Pushed up to just behind the 3hr balloons and was a meter or two behind them at the start line, by the time they got to the corner with St. Stephens Green I was about 100m+ behind them. Wasn’t concerned, and wasn’t pushing on as much as I might in other races, was taking the crowds getting in my way as being a good thing and just went with them.

Had caught up with the 3hrs balloons by about 3 and a bit miles and was just going to stick with that group, then overtaking me I spotted a guy from my other club in the UK so started chatting with him for the next couple of miles. Next thing I know we are 100m ahead of the balloons. Everything is feeling good but I decide that the Zoo is a great spot to stop and water a tree, no major need but I figure if I don’t now then stopping later on and I’ll not be able to get going again. So loose track of my running buddy and the pacers get back ahead of me again by a few meters. I catch and pass them again and join earlyevening for a bit of a natter through the rest of the park and we are then swopping places for a good few miles further.

Kind of doze of a bit somewhere after half way so not sure where or what or when things happened, but at some point myself and earlyevening split, and then I find myself running behind another 3hour pacer that I’d not seen before. Running along behind them for a good few more miles, but not overly concerned with keeping too close as I knew there was another 3hour guy behind me. Woddle for some evil reason decided to take pictures at the top of a hill, but try my best not to look too much like I’m struggling as I go past.

Somewhere between 18’ish and 21’ish I must have slowed a bit as the cheers for the 3hour group behind suddenly start getting louder, and then they go past. Manage to sort myself out and just stay in the gap in the crowd 20meters behind them and don’t let them get any further away. Once I get as far as StupidPrivate, who only just picked his camera up in time to catch me, the pace group has virtually disappeared in front with people either dropping off behind or moving on ahead of them for the final surge. I figure that seeing as the road is now clear it must be time to properly put the foot down. I catch up with the 3hr pacer just going round Trinity as he shouted to get any stragglers to get a shift on, and then with a push on from misty_floyd it’s just a straight sprint to the finish. Until Trinity I was still half expecting to grind to a halt I think, but nothing was going to stop me then until the finish line.

I did then collapse in a heap shortly after the line, until they came along and dragged me out of the way for making the place look untidy.

Very happy few pints then had afterwards, even if many people didn’t believe the time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Do you feel that training with the club has helped you this time round or if you had kept up what you were doing early in the year would sub 3 have been on?

I'm not sure to be honest. I was doing more mileage before Rotterdam, although clearly still far less than ideal. Before Rotterdam though my official half PB was still something in the 1:5x's so although having done faster in marathons I'd not yet convinced myself of my speed capabilities. Since Rotterdam I did two 1:23 halves though, and that finally convinced me that I did actually have the speed, especially since doing the second one proved it wasn't a fluke first time out.

I then knew I had the speed and wasn't at all worried about doing a 1:30 and carrying on going further than half at that pace. I had no idea about how far that might be though and until the very last turn was still expecting to come to a stop despite being able to up the speed. Because I couldn't really believe it I then found myself walking into the first aid tent straight after the finish before the baggage area because I was assuming that something must be amiss, they soon told me to bugger off though, but I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to collapse around the corner.

I do think the training with the new club helped me with being able to up the pace when the 3hr pacer caught up with me around 21miles, but possibly more mentally than anything else. From the getting shouted at to do more repetitions of some sprint around a field and trying not to get left too far behind the fast kids in the same group and after the previous however many laps of the same does push you past where your were comfortable before. I'll give the club training sessions credit for that, but not sure that I've actually got much faster from their training just yet as it's probably too soon to tell. I do think I'll keep going through the pain a bit longer though from both those sessions and the other sessions with running in a group just keeps you giving more without realising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Robin. Great stuff. It was great to have a chat with yourself in the pub that night. How different our conversation was from when we met in Rotterdam. I forgot about cheering you on at nassau street and I remember repeatedly saying/shouting to you after the line "how about that!", "how about that!". I turned into a bit of a psycho :D

The last part of my video of the race is repeated shots and angles of you crossing the line screaming your head off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant run Robin, well done on a great time. It was nice to chat with you in the pub after, you had a perma-grin like the Cheshire cat. Getting your half time down to 1:23 seems to have been a great help in running 26 miles at pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Fair play man, absolutely great stuff. You made that sound easy (ish).

Over three minutes slower than my half PB today, but am very happy with it.

Today was the Forest of Dean half marathon which apart from the first mile is all on trails through the forest, but also lots of up and down. Was a good days weather for it, overcast which kept the temp pretty much perfect. Since I entered the race though my medication setup changed recently which resulted in me being banned from running for a couple of weeks, and also me being a bit clueless about how to approach running, and especially racing, with the new system. I did a 5 mile race last week but just took it handy and tried to pace a friend to a time for themselves, I was then going to do the same today, but they went off to get drunk in Mayo or something instead.

So knowing I'd not be able to keep myself from going off like a hare without the task of pacing someone else, I just gave in and raced.

First couple of miles was along a flat road, but then once we got onto the forest trails the course suddenly dropped 300ft within a mile. Was on the verge of being dangerously steep to freewheel down on the gravel, but I decided to just go for it, that 2nd mile was at 5:35 pace. :eek: Luckily the climb back up another 400ft was spread out over the next 5'ish miles, so although there was a lot of climbing it was mostly steady and I managed to only be a smidgen off the 6:30 pace I'd set the Garmin to in a wild moment this morning. I would previously have downed a gel every 3'ish miles in any run over an hour, but today I tried just taking the one just before the water station around 6 miles.

The trails were mostly pretty solid soil with a few rocks, or some sections of gravel, and it was plenty wide enough for people to get past each other as we all attacked different sections at different speeds. I was mostly getting overtaken though, but was happy with the pace I was doing amongst all the up and down. Round about mile 8 I think the first woman caught up with me, she being from my club and has the same first name which sometimes causes confusion. So I then ran along with her and we had a bit of a chat and also laugh at the guy just in front of us wearing headphones who kept on putting in mad bursts of speed each time he caught a glimpse of a female daring to consider overtaking him. Kept us amused for a few miles as she kept testing him.

Left that guy behind about mile 11 and carried on going at a steady pace.

Then just coming up to the last mile there was a relatively short, but stupidly steep hill and I just didn't have enough miles in my legs recently to keep them ticking over and was forced to walk. Was only the last 10 meters of the climb, but the legs just weren't having any of it. Of course once I'd slowed it was even harder then to get them moving again so my running was far too slow and people started passing me again, including the guy who didn't want to get beaten by a girl.

I did manage to get moving at a reasonable pace again for running into the finish, and I also came in the top 50 men so won a t-shirt. My female namesake won the womens event and her bloke won the mens event, and with another guy from our club coming in a minute behind me we came second fourth in the team event too. :D

No prize for that though. :(

I'm still a long way off getting my head round the medication, but from todays time I'm certain I can get very close to 80 minutes once I've got more mileage done and the use of the pump figured out.

Edit: Garmin finally pulled their finger out and fixed their server to let me upload. Here the linky to todays race:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75370370

Edit 2: Read the wrong bit in the results and we came in fourth team, not too bad though considering who we had running for the team today.

Edit 3: Seems the stupid US settings on the web page I was looking at before was quoting elevation in feet and not meters. Still they were big hills.

One of the few flat races around these parts this morning, being flat and on road makes it even more unique. Great opportunity for a PB at 10km...and I did, knocking 8 seconds of a time from a multi terrain course from last summer.

Now down to 36:30 and I have very consistent mile pace through the race as well compared to normal with only a variation between 5:45-5:53 miles so I'm happy with that.

I'm disappointed though as I am now sure that I can go faster and I wasn't lying in a heap on the floor after crossing the line, so clearly didn't try hard enough. It's a bit of a new feeling to have a PB and not be totally happy though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Started sneezing when I opened this thread. Bit dusty in here.

Started sneezing when I opened this thread. Bit dusty in here.

Someone always has to be complaining. :D

Bit late for me to notice it, but was browsing around some other stuff and just seen that the local rag had a mention of me in their online edition a while back:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Marsden-Ellis-scoop-Westbury-awards/article-3455197-detail/article.html

:D

Can you handle the fame?;)

Hoping that RQ doesn't start sneezing from the dust again.

Already written a bit about today here. My time was over a minute slower than the last 10km I did a couple of weeks ago, but I'm feeling a bit happier about todays run than I was over the previous one that was actually a PB.I was happy with my pace most of the way round, just lost it a bit in the last mile but overall that wouldn't have made much difference.

Garmin

Relatively rubbish time for me lately, but I'm confident of now knocking a minute or two off the half time later in the year...and possibly having a go at an autumn marathon.

Edit: Looks like I lost signal a bit just before mile 3 which could account for the slightly longer than normal course reading.

• Advertisement

:(

Sonia beat me by 9 seconds in the chipped results.

I don't even care about the 1 second quicker time than my Garmin they gave me, now I'm pissed off that I didn't hold on for longer through that last mile.

Advertisement