Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Options

Options
  • 16-11-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey guys,

Moving into a new place & I want the luxury of unlimited downloads but Wimax isnt available in D18.

Any suggestions guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Hey guys,

Moving into a new place & I want the luxury of unlimited downloads but Wimax isnt available in D18.

Any suggestions guys?

well you'll be looking for the remainder of your life mate. no one does truly unlimited usage. they all have FUP's (fair usage policy's)

as for wimax lol i wouldnt bother even if it was my last choice

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilliann888

Hey guys,

Any suggestions guys?
    what ever you do , dont , i mean do not touch 3 broadband or any of their service . the bills are inaccurate, bad service , bad after sell support , a daylight theift.

lilliann

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Have you had a look at any buisness packages?

what ever you do , dont , i mean do not touch 3 broadband or any of their service . the bills are inaccurate, bad service , bad after sell support , a daylight theift.

lilliann

thats mobile so called broadband for ya! stay clear from 3G (mobile) and 4G (Wimax) its not broadband. far from it in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

But the wimax advert is so catchy, who wouldnt be drawn to it

• Advertisement

teddy b123 wrote: »
    But the wimax advert is so catchy, who wouldnt be drawn to it

anyone with a brain can see past the gimmicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dazdrog wrote: »
    thats mobile so called broadband for ya! stay clear from 3G (mobile) and 4G (Wimax) its not broadband. far from it in fact

Mobile WiMax, in the way Imagine have implemented it, is not a good system. Fixed WiMax would be better, as is in use by a couple of ISPs, just not very widespread.

For unlimited options, UPC have said their "unlimited" cap is 250GB, which is the highest that has been disclosed by any ISP. Magnet haven't disclosed what the FUP cap is on their LLU products, but I believe it to be higher than 250GB. The next highest is Smart, at 170GB. All the rest are lower.

Business products may well be truly unlimited, but if you start to put it to the test you may find that this is also not true. Many business products are not available to residential customers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You find that you pay maybe €500 a month to €10,000 a month for truly unlimited, depending on Bandwidth and SLA.

"Imagine WiMax" "unlimited" is believed to be 30GByte. "Unlimited" for Domestic packages varies from 10Gbyte to 250GByte, with 10GByte and 30Gbyte as common limits.

eircom sells extra traffic at about 1/100th of the price that some Mobile Operators sell "outside Cap" excess traffic.

Digiweb/Smart have been known to sell additional Cap. Magnet and UPC have highest off the Shelf Cap, Magnet for some may be effectively unlimited.

Decent Domestic Broadband for heavier users varies from 60GByte to 250GByte Cap.

Typical users might use 1GByte to 20GByte a month without Torrents or YouTube/video players.

Extensive video watching via Net rather than TV will use 80GByte to 300GByte a month. A decent PVR or Media PC and dish for Freesat + USB stick for Irish Digital TV makes more sense and gives x4 to x8 more quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

See if you can convince the Imagine sales person to install a Breeze product for you.
    Insist on Breeze, make sure its Breeze, no not accept WiMAX.

Impossible, they are replacing the Breeze with Imagine Wimax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Don't UPC have that tier that you get put on if you go over the FUP? I've heard, although I've never experienced it myself, that this package is properly uncapped.

watty wrote: »

Pure speculation. State your sources.
    They will never get rid of Breeze. Not until WiMAX can be used in a business. And they know that it can't, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Pure speculation. State your sources.
    They will never get rid of Breeze. Not until WiMAX can be used in a business. And they know that it can't, yet.

Here is two threads from IBB users stating they have to move to wimax as they are getting rid of breeze

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077225
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066349

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

We have literally never invoked our FUP, to be honest, I dont even know what our FUP is or if it has ever even been set. We have never sent any nasty letters or anything along those lines.

We really are unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

lynchie wrote:
    Here is two threads from IBB users stating they have to move to wimax as they are getting rid of breeze

There were claims here that Breeze was being turned off in Wicklow Town and users moved to Wimax. I heard nothing from IBB so rang to ask and was told that while one particular mast had problems in Wicklow, it wasn't fixable (for whatever reason - economic most like) the one I am on is fine and they have no plans to migrate it to wimax. No idea if that'll change, but so far so good. Never knowingly got near their cap either on Breeze.

lynchie wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077225
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066349

IBB uses two different technologies to provide the Breeze product.
    One of them is Pre-WiMAX. This is the one they're likely swapping out.
    Those lucky enough to be on the older gear, will be staying on it.

That would make sense. When I first got the install in Wicklow it was the breeze-max gear (what they called it in the book) but it had problems so they came back and re did it. Said they were changing the radio type to see if it helped. Was rock solid ever since (not that the radio type was to blame I dont think as they moved the aerial too). So I am very lucky then to be on the V(whatever it's called) gear now! Also explains why some in Wicklow were told the service was closing and others weren't.

Breeze Max is what ALL the Imagine should be. It's proper Fixed WiMax and gives real Broadband. The other "Imagine WiMax" branded stuff can never be proper broadband,

Thanks watty, but thats not the point of this thread.
    The OP wanted to know of options for Broadband with no limits.
    This has nothing to do with what technology Imagine/IBB should or shouldn't be using.
    I didn't suggest WiMAX. I was careful to exclude that, as you'll note from my original post.

I suggested Breeze from Imagine/Irish Broadband, because I know it to be a solid product that doesn't have a limit. And the symmetrical nature is also quite nice.

I'd be sceptical that since Imagine has taken over IBB, that it has "no limits"

The options are really:
    Magnet -> UPC -> Digiweb/Smart (with negotiated high cap)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

watty wrote: »

Not true for everyone it would seem. I have some fixed IBB links for redundancy around the Bray area and I was talking to them last week about this very thing. They told me there wasn't anything to worry about as the high site I am on isn't being ended anytime soon.

It must have a FUP (limit) but no idea what it is. I've shifted not far off 100G in an extreme week (in addition to normal "family net usage") and not heard from them. Although that might be cause they're convinced I still live in my old house in Dublin where they used to provide service and not where they currently provide service... Still, I've never had to watch what I do and never got a mail or anything from them complaining. Although I do try to leave any manic downloading to over night to not annoy others on the mast. No idea how much I'd use in a typical month as I've never had to bother to find out.

Advertisement