Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bridge pier was to let them move the footbridge; the redesign part way through construction meant they didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

MYOB wrote: »
    The bridge pier was to let them move the footbridge; the redesign part way through construction meant they didn't have to.

They could use it to put a nice statue on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

celticbest wrote: »
    They could use it to put a nice statue on....

or some speed..., sorry safety cameras :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭NedNew2

@ CSD

You should submit some of those photos to SABRE, they're excellent and I'm sure they are worthy of photo of the month, especially the first batch of photos you took.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Great photos there csd.

Have one question folks,Im travelling from Galway to Dublin Airport Friday evening at about 7pm,Just wondering how busy does the m50 North bound be at that time of the evening? Just wanna give myself time to get there and not be hit by the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

NedNew2 wrote: »
    @ CSD

You should submit some of those photos to SABRE, they're excellent and I'm sure they are worthy of photo of the month, especially the first batch of photos you took.

Thanks Ned, I've uploaded my favourite one so I guess we'll see how I do next week!

/csd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

When the inevitable two or three week heat wave arrives in summer '11, we'll look back incredulously at this:

Winter tyres next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is the m50 clear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet wrote: »
    When the inevitable two or three week heat wave arrives in summer '11, we'll look back incredulously at this:

Winter tyres next year!

...we'll probably be wondering if it was the same country! :eek:

Just wondering if anybody else has noticed what seems to be a huge increase in the amount of people crossing hatch marking's at junctions on the M50, it seems to be a major problem were two junctions are in close proximity to each other like Junction 9 Red Cow & Junction 10 Ballymount NB.

In order stop people from carrying out these dangerous manoeuvres could they not put bollard's like the one's below on hatch marking's which are most frequently crossed.

Bollard.png
    Bollardinuse.png

Does anybody know who would be the best to contact in relation to requesting the installation of these bollards, is it the NRA, M50 Concession or the relevant Council for where the Junction is situated ?

I have never once seen anybody being pulled by the Guards for crossing the marking's & IMHO this is just a major accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In order stop people from carrying out these dangerous manoeuvres could they not put bollard's like the one's below on hatch marking's which are most frequently crossed.

No they should not put bollards there, hatching was designed there for a reason. They should put a camera there and fine everyone who enters the hatched area. You'd find that this would then become much less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

saw a cop car exiting onto the M7 NB from the Naas exit and crossed the hatch markings to move out onto the M7 mainline ahead of all the other cars that did obey the Rules:mad:

If the Cops are not going to lead by example what hope for the rest of us

ardmacha wrote: »
    No they should not put bollards there, hatching was designed there for a reason. They should put a camera there and fine everyone who enters the hatched area. You'd find that this would then become much less common.

The bollard I have pictured above is flexible in order to minimise damage if for some reason a vehicle was to collide with one, also the Post can be removed quite easily in an emergency,

To install and monitor a camera would cost far more, the bollards would stop the need for any of this at a once off cost.
    Bards wrote: »
    saw a cop car exiting onto the M7 NB from the Naas exit and crossed the hatch markings to move out onto the M7 mainline ahead of all the other cars that did obey the Rules:mad:

If the Cops are not going to lead by example what hope for the rest of us

:eek: Exactly, if the Guards don't obey the ROTR then what are chances of everyone else obeying them :confused: They have to start leading by example.

Hi Folks,

...was browsing the web last night and came across some nice pics of the M50 (during the snow spells of Nov/Dec 2010) taken by the Irish Air Corps. There is a nice one of the Blanch Interchange (Jct 6), 2 of the Red Cow Interchange (Jct 9) and one of the Sandyford Interchange (Jct 13/14). The link is as follows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishaircorps/sets/72157625565514198/

Enjoy! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ardmacha wrote: »
    This would require a manual operator and would not be worthwhile as crossing a hatched marking does not cause a major hazard. There are far worse offenses occurring on motorways than this.

...but not of the M50 this time, but of some of the approach motorways. I know that this is a slightly OT post, but I'm sure you guys will forgive me this time. First up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/5244310396/in/photostream/
    The M1 motorway looking North between Lissenhall and Courtlough (Jcts 4 & 5). Visible are the M1 South Service Areas near the foreground. Beyond that is the Courtlough Interchange.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/5244310402/in/photostream/
    The M2 motorway looking North from Cherryhound. In the foreground are the North facing ramps for the Cherryhound Interchange with the bridge immediately beyond carrying the R121 road from The Ward to Tyrrelstown. The caption on flicker states the M4 in Meath, but I'm 99% sure that this is wrong! Indeed, correct me if I'm wrong...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/5244310462/in/photostream/
    The M3 motorway looking North between Pace and Dunshaughlin. The bridge near the foreground carries the R154 road towards Trim while the M3 Southern Toll Plaza can be seen very clearly with its 5 lanes in each direction (though lane 5 NB appears pretty snowed up). Hence, it could no way be the M4 Toll Plaza (as the caption states) - the M4 Toll Plaza has at least 8 lanes each way and is also in a remote location unlike what this image shows - I think could say I'm 100% sure of that and I'm 99.99999% sure that it is the M3 motorway that the image shows!

Enjoy everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

what is the most efficient route to take to avoid the m50 toll going from the red cow to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

digzy wrote: »
    what is the most efficient route to take to avoid the m50 toll going from the red cow to the airport?

Really not worth it but...

I know someone who gets off at Kingswood, drives onto Lucan, up to Clonee onto N3->M50

Guess thats one way

Although if your talking efficiency, i think youll easily spend an extra €2 on petrol doing this as an alternative

Coming from Galway makes more sense to avoid (but road is terrible so if icy/rainy I just swallow the toll)

This may the shot everyone here is waiting for - a good aerial shot of the Blanchardstown Interchange - this one is along the N3 from East to West:

M50/N3 Interchange

It looks as if the image was taken by a foreigner for use on flicker - the captions seem to be in Spanish.

Enjoy everyone!

:):):)

I've found more interesting images of the M50 - this time from a group pool on flickr - the link is as follows:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/897073@N25/pool/

The first 5 pics show interesting views of the N7 approach to the M50 at Red Cow. There are also underside shots of the Westlink Bridge as well as some nice happy memories of the old toll plaza building - being demolished that is!!! :D

Enjoy everyone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Never seen underside pics of Westlink before. It doesn't seem so high when you're driving on it (partly because you can't really see over the wall very well in a car).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have stood under it before. It was an eery experience knowing that there are 4 lanes of heavy vehicles travelling at 100km/hr above your head supported by a bit of concrete and a few struts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

What's the point of the freeflow at junction 6 from M50 NB to N3 outbound? First time using the junction today and most traffic heading for N3 outbound went to the roundabout and took first exit. The free flow for this movement seems like a waste. Am I missing something?

Are you sure those people weren't heading towards Blanchardstown Village? Trying to get off at that junction going Northbound was a disaster before they opened the freeflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

Stark wrote: »
    Are you sure those people weren't heading towards Blanchardstown Village? Trying to get off at that junction going Northbound was a disaster before they opened the freeflow.

Not sure, once you take the first left at the roundabout aren't you on N3 outbound?

Yes, but you can only turn off for the village by using the roundabout. The freeflow takes you onto the N3 after the village turnoff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having used that exist off the RAB for work a number of times in the past few days, very very few people who are using it are going anywhere other than in to Blanch village. One or two lost drivers are using it to head to the N3 outbound... May also be heading to the shopping centre and worried about merging across two lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Irish Examiner
    Motorists are experiencing serious delays on the M50 Northbound following an incident in which a lorry carrying hay bails accidentally knocked off half of its load.

Gardaí are currently at the scene.

Drivers are being asked to slow down and approach with care.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/delays-on-m50-as-lorry-loses-half-of-hay-load-513038.html#ixzz1SHH3OdVC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MYOB wrote: »
    Having used that exist off the RAB for work a number of times in the past few days, very very few people who are using it are going anywhere other than in to Blanch village. One or two lost drivers are using it to head to the N3 outbound... May also be heading to the shopping centre and worried about merging across two lanes.

The signs saying that for Blanchardstown you should take the flyover and for Castleknock the slip road doesn't help matters.

• Advertisement

I've uploaded a new set of photos showing the N4-M50 interchange from various angles - these 12 shots (complete with tags and captions) have been taken last Saturday from in and around the 2 footbridges that span the M50 and N4:

This link will take you to the first photo!

Enjoy Everyone!!! :)

Advertisement