Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BA Airbus 380 in shannon july 30th 2013

• 26-07-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Just got a tip off that BAs First -A380 will be landing in shannon at 0955 tuesday 30th july for pre service tests.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I'm absolutely gutted will be working in dub for this day. Doesn't help it leaves at 12:00 ish

Flying in Irelands Facebook link about the BAA388 coming to SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TPMP

Sweeeeeet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Never have i been happier to be working late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Would love to see this myself.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Damn....I'm in Dublin too....and I have clearance to get on air side too :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

BAW9152

Should be in Shannon at 10:00 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    BAW9152

Should be in Shannon at 10:00 am.

should i be able to see/track this on flight radar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

crazygeryy wrote: »
    should i be able to see/track this on flight radar?

A380 just out of South Wales atm.
    Baw9152

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

It's just off Wexford now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Is there anyway to see it landing in Shannon online?

• Advertisement

flight radar saying its going to baltimore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Hope it gets a very very very minor fault and has to divert to Kerry airport :0)

Very minor fault

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

crazygeryy wrote: »
    flight radar saying its going to baltimore?

Flightradar24 showing it at 4000ft just NE of Sixmilebridge

1016 EDIT: on the ground (or at least no longer on flightradar))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

264820.jpg

:)

How did he get a screenshot of my PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Tenger wrote: »
    Flightradar24 showing it at 4000ft just NE of Sixmilebridge

1016 EDIT: on the ground (or at least no longer on flightradar))

Have you tried RadarBox24.com Gives ground movements in SNN. Not sure how accurate it is.
    It is on a BA and NATS trial today. SNN has been chosen as a divert airport as well as CWL and STN. As BA has said there will be a series of visits to these airports. Anyone who missed today should keep a look out for future visits.

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Have you tried RadarBox24.com Gives ground movements in SNN. Not sure how accurate it is.
    It is on a BA and NATS trial today. SNN has been chosen as a divert airport as well as CWL and STN. As BA has said there will be a series of visits to these airports. Anyone who missed today should keep a look out for future visits.

I'm going to make my way to shannon.does anyone know exactly what time its taking off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Supposed to be 12 noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Susie_Toots

I saw her fly over me this morning. I'm on the Wexford/Kilkenny border. She was quite low. Could make her out very clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Not my video, actually its possible its from another member of this forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

This is her landing at Shannon this morning, picture courtesy of Pat Reilly:

1046868.jpg
    Airbus A380-841 - Click here for larger image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Im gutted and Jealous that im home tomoro morning and not today.. Video looks regardless of its quality still an amazing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Not my video, actually its possible its from another member of this forum!

It wouldn't be an Irish video without plenty of cursing.

Will someone not cut down that bloody bush!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    It wouldn't be an Irish video without plenty of cursing.

Will someone not cut down that bloody bush!

I was just thinking that as well. That bush needs to go!!! Ill get down to see the next one I hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

This picture of the maintenance crew and marshals underneath the plane make it look absolutely massive. Wish I could have seen it in person as it truly is a sight to see.

EDIT: Apologies for the link, picture won't embed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noilem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I was there (I can see myself in that video too) and it was pretty cool tbh. A lot quieter than I expected both for landing and for takeoff. It is huge! Very elegant and graceful in flight as well. I'll have a few pics/videos up later on, when I get a chance to process them. I was glad I was out there today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

9402218912_6084841853_z.jpg
    G-XLEA(2) by niallsaviation, on Flickr

Climbing after an early lift off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The size relative to the JFK bound A318 is pretty impressive!

1012898_10152108748592627_677071246_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The size relative to the JFK bound A318 is pretty impressive!

1012898_10152108748592627_677071246_n.jpg

Great shot! Passed my window this morning..a thing of beauty and much quieter than I thought it would be., especially as it is so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Looking at the videos of it flying, it's mad to think that it can actually get off the ground, let alone be that graceful and quiet.

vkid wrote: »
    ....a thing of beauty and much quieter than I thought it would be., especially as it is so big.

A few years ago I was in LHR near the top of the takeoff queue. Just ahead of us I saw, in immediate sucession, a B744, an A380 and an A333 take-off.
    Not sure what sort of weight each was carrying but the A380 was easily the quietest of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noilem

A few pics i managed to get

643978_10200706527723943_1173527090_n.jpg

1016809_10200707866477411_1531614334_n.jpg

934657_10200706527923948_2038183331_n.jpg

1000308_10200706528283957_912959880_n.jpg

1012428_10200706528523963_600865413_n.jpg

945955_10200706528883972_2127813361_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Some great pictures lads. Would have loved to have seen this but many m,ore of us with trips to LHR in the future I hope. Especially love the picture of it along side the A318. I know its the smallest plane that BA mainline operate but its not the smallest plane in a BA livery. imagine the A380 next to this!

59395.jpg

They also covered this on RTE
    :http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0730/465480-ba-airbus-shannon/

Out of curiosity, why was the A318 parked in that location? Was it purely for a photo op or what? I would have thought the turnaround time for that flight would be quite short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

I am only seeing this thread after seeing the pics, ripping is not the fecking word for the mood I am in now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fab thread , thanks for the pics and vids , I would have loved to have been there but thanks to our boardies I feel I was . What a beautiful bird !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

My footage from yesterday's A380 visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Slightly off-topic......I was there in the crowd enjoying the sight of the A380 yesterday, but the obvious restrictions to viewing are very apparent - high fence, trees etc.

Is there any other place in that area with a reasonably clear view of the runway? I'm guessing there's none - due to security concerns, but thought I'd ask anyway. It's a shame really. I can recall in the 80s and 90s, I used to use the old road (along with hundreds of other people) by the perimeter fence which gave an excellent view of arrivals and departures off runway 24.

I was going to ask if somebody got her going out. Thanks for that last clip. That was brilliant view. Ill say it again, what a beautifull bird!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

I was going to ask if somebody got her going out. Thanks for that last clip. That was brilliant view. Ill say it again, what a beautifull bird!!
    I got there good and early. I was first there at 6:30am to get the best spot and stood on top of my car to film! Pretty tired today but well worth it. Glad you enjoyed the video.

TPMP wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why was the A318 parked in that location? Was it purely for a photo op or what? I would have thought the turnaround time for that flight would be quite short.

BA chose SNN for the A318/A380 photo op as it is relatively uncongested. And while yes it would extend the turnaround time BA obviously thought it worth it to get the nose to nose shot. I has heard they were examining a Cliffs of Moher flyby photo op as well.

Trying to taxi both aircraft to a "quiet" spot in LHR would be impossible. And you can see the tug that they use to get the A318 over to the taxiway and then back. It may only have added 20 mins extra to the normal turnaround for the photo op.

I read elsewhere a call to get both B787's in position for a triple flyby, a B787 on each side of the A380!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Looks a bit slow.....

Tenger wrote: »
    BA chose SNN for the A318/A380 photo op as it is relatively uncongested. And while yes it would extend the turnaround time BA obviously thought it worth it to get the nose to nose shot. I has heard they were examining a Cliffs of Moher flyby photo op as well.

Trying to taxi both aircraft to a "quiet" spot in LHR would be impossible. And you can see the tug that they use to get the A318 over to the taxiway and then back. It may only have added 20 mins extra to the normal turnaround for the photo op.

I read elsewhere a call to get both B787's in position for a triple flyby, a B787 on each side of the A380!

Thanks, didn't realise that it was a planned photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Some great pictures lads. Would have loved to have seen this but many m,ore of us with trips to LHR in the future I hope. Especially love the picture of it along side the A318. I know its the smallest plane that BA mainline operate but its not the smallest plane in a BA livery. imagine the A380 next to this!

Or even smaller again...

G-BODR-Piper-PA-28-Cherokee_PlanespottersNet_116794.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

phonypony wrote: »
    Or even smaller again...

G-BODR-Piper-PA-28-Cherokee_PlanespottersNet_116794.jpg

In 1982 this graced the skies of Ireland
    I think it will be hard to beat with the exception of R/C Aircraft
    5622000575_821970ac1f_z.jpg
    G-AXVK Campell Cricket Autogyro by N nine, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Blue Punto wrote: »
    In 1982 this graced the skies of Ireland
    I think it will be hard to beat with the exception of R/C Aircraft

$(KGrHqJHJBgE9(23LwTWBPhBy9O78Q~~60_35.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

Pardon me for stating the blindingly obvious, but can someone please resurrect this thread if/when they hear of the next visit?

I couldn't have gone this time, but with a couple of days notice I'm sure I could figure something out next time ...

Thanks!

Manuel wrote: »
    Pardon me for stating the blindingly obvious, but can someone please resurrect this thread if/when they hear of the next visit?

I couldn't have gone this time, but with a couple of days notice I'm sure I could figure something out next time ...

Thanks!

brilliant idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement