Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre F1000 Router Issues

Options
  • 19-06-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I got eFibre on Tuesday and it's ok, not great but ok. I'm getting 14 down and 3 up while paying for 50mb. But my problem is that when I try open sites half the time I have to reload them like 50 times before the page actually loads. Many times it says an issue with the DNS. This popped up on my Xbox One, 360 and PS3 aswell. Also, I googled an error message I got on my PS3 and it said maybe the MTU value on my router is different or something. Did anyone have any of these problems? The Eircom forums are useless as I get told to ring up which I did and I still got no answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

B8ZZ wrote: »
    I got eFibre on Tuesday and it's ok, not great but ok. I'm getting 14 down and 3 up while paying for 50mb. But my problem is that when I try open sites half the time I have to reload them like 50 times before the page actually loads. Many times it says an issue with the DNS. This popped up on my Xbox One, 360 and PS3 aswell. Also, I googled an error message I got on my PS3 and it said maybe the MTU value on my router is different or something. Did anyone have any of these problems? The Eircom forums are useless as I get told to ring up which I did and I still got no answers.

I had these exact issues last week on a new install. I changed from eircom dns servers to google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and problem solved. change them in the router settings. http://192.168.1.254 under network settings.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Del007

I had these exact issues last week on a new install. I changed from eircom dns servers to google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and problem solved. change them in the router settings. http://192.168.1.254 under network settings.

What's the default password to get into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Del007 wrote: »

Initially it is the wpa key on the back of modem.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

On the back of the router

dvhs9b0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭B8ZZ

Do I go into "DNS", then "DNS Entry" and "Add new DNS entry"?

I did that and I got "DNS Entry Configuration" then

Host Name :
    IPv4 Address :

Do I enter the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in two separate entries and what about Host Names?

• Advertisement

Wrong section area of the router.

go to network setting and then home networking

ihTZkcw.png

PGtJ2TI.png

fill in the google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and click apply

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭B8ZZ

Lundar. wrote: »
    Wrong section area of the router.

go to network setting and then home networking

fill in the google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and click apply

Thanks! Out of curiosity are these the best ones to have? I see in your picture that there's a different value for the second server.

personally i use google dns: 8.8.8.8 and Opendns: 208.67.222.222

there is a little bit more redundancy when using to different dns server by different companies

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

Hi, for best DNS you should set DNS to the Eircom 159.134.0.1 & 159.134.0.2 DNS server IPs. By hard setting them as opposed to the default option "obtain from ISP" actually disables the modems internal proxy and allows you clients to use Eircom DNS directly. Changing to google or OpenDNS only adds unnecessary lag and delay thus slowing your resolution as google & OpenDNS servers reside in the uk......why would you want to do that? Disabling the proxy is the way to go but using the Eircom IPs for fastest resolution. Try it!

hmm, i find the opposite to be true, been using many dns servers and find the eircom dns to be troublesome at times, if you look at my settings i use a static ip on the router.

Google dns ping is better (average of 2500 dns requests) and more reliable than eircom. eircom comes a close second thou. see screenshot below.

3Zt89u2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

B8ZZ wrote: »

log onto modem

go to network settings > home networking

set dns server to static

enter 159.134.0.1 as primary
    enter 159.134.0.2 as secondary

apply

next go to network settings > broadband

click modify vdsl

set dns servers to static

apply

the modem will drop connection and reconnect and the dns issues will be fixed

for speedtests use speedtest.eircom.net

www.speedtest.net is very unreliable these days

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

FYI, I switched to Eircom a couple of months ago and was given one of these modems too, and I have the same DNS issues. Pretty bad form. No issues in the previous 8 or 9 years with my previous provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

log onto modem

go to network settings > home networking

set dns server to static

apply

next go to network settings > broadband

click modify vdsl

set dns servers to static

apply

the modem will drop connection and reconnect and the dns issues will be fixed

for speedtests use speedtest.eircom.net

www.speedtest.net is very unreliable these days
    I've just applied your settings and the difference is dramatic. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Has anyone got a link to the current firmware V1.00 AAHA 4 as it is gone from the Eircom site. Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Here you go, it makes a big difference, http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/F1000/

Get the router unlocked, no more hassle waiting for Eircom to get their finger out..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

jca wrote: »
    Here you go, it makes a big difference, http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/F1000/

Get the router unlocked, no more hassle waiting for Eircom to get their finger out..

What differences did you notice with the software in the Eircom link?

Cheers JCA mate must be losing it could not see it on Eircom site!!

Just tried to install and get the following error message" Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal model id."

My model is a Zyxel VMG 8324 -B10A which I was told was identical to the F1000 model.

Any ideas guyz??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

John Dough wrote: »
    Cheers JCA mate must be losing it could not see it on Eircom site!!

Just tried to install and get the following error message" Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal model id."

My model is a Zyxel VMG 8324 -B10A which I was told was identical to the F1000 model.

Any ideas guyz??

Are you trying to put the eircom FW on a generic Zyxel? If so, why? And hold off, the F1000 was made to order, dont want to brick your "clean" unit.

Yes I am trying to use the F1000 fw as cannot get the original Zyxel to work with my Eircom fibre broadband, the ip is different and I put the Eircom dns on to it but it would not connect to the internet, The fw in my Zyxel is 1.00 AAKL 5 ,also tried the F1000 config file but it would not accept that either.

As the Eircom and the Zyxel are the same model I would have thought it would have been straightforward but it seems Eircom have put some restraints on their unit with different firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the ipoe config that will matter, there's a thread on here how to do it.

• Advertisement

Don't see one only DNS thread fairly new at this so could be wrong do you have a link?

Cheers M8 up and running with those settings, BTW is it better to use static or dhcp DNS with Eircom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

Yes I am trying to use the F1000 fw as cannot get the original Zyxel to work with my Eircom fibre broadband, the ip is different and I put the Eircom dns on to it but it would not connect to the internet, The fw in my Zyxel is 1.00 AAKL 5 ,also tried the F1000 config file but it would not accept that either.

As the Eircom and the Zyxel are the same model I would have thought it would have been straightforward but it seems Eircom have put some restraints on their unit with different firmware.

There are links to lots of ZyXel firmware on kitz [dot] co [dot] uk broadband hardware forums incl the latest dated December. Well worth updating yours. I cant post links, sorry.

I have the latest firmware V5 from Zyxel and all is well now with Eircom settings installed.
    Ta

I have the latest firmware V5 from Zyxel and all is well now with Eircom settings installed.
    Ta

V100AAKL7C0 is the latest Zyxel firmware for the F1000 and vmg8324-b10a. See the link on Kitz to zyxel.it

The latest official firmware is V5 on their website any later ones are beta versions not officially released yet.

The latest official firmware is V5 on their website any later ones are beta versions not officially released yet.

You will find the usual firmware changelog signed by the usual Zyxel person accompanies the V7 release.

After a email request ZyXel said V5 was their latest and sent a link to use this only.
    Better to be sure than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Do you need to unlock your modem to update to the latest zyxel firmware?
    Should I expect improvements in wifi range and speed with it?

Advertisement