Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Capital Spending on Roads: 2016-2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

road_high wrote: »
    I only use it maybe a week or less and it just drives me demented. Pity anyone that has to endure that road everyday. But as I said before, poor lane discipline is a huge constraint.

Poor lane disciplane is a major factor, the amount of times I see people coasting along in the right hand side lane with nothing in the left lane next to them is crazy and they are completely oblivious to what they are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

tony1980 wrote: »
    Poor lane disciplane is a major factor, the amount of times I see people coasting along in the right hand side lane with nothing in the left lane next to them is crazy and they are completely oblivious to what they are doing!

Well most Irish people have never been officially taught or tested on how to use this type of road, that is no excuse of course but it is worth pointing out? AGS don't police people who drive incorrectly on the stretch. It is absolutely head wrecking that the Kerry site was built before this stretch of road was upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Deedsie wrote: »
    Well most Irish people have never been officially taught or tested on how to use this type of road, that is no excuse of course but it is worth pointing out? AGS don't police people who drive incorrectly on the stretch. It is absolutely head wrecking that the Kerry site was built before this stretch of road was upgraded.

The sad thing is anyone with half a brain shouldn't have to be "officially taught or tested" to use dual carriageways or motorways. It should be obvious to keep left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Lets not get too excited but I can see some being prioritized:

N69/N21 Foynes-Limerick

N28: Cork - Ringaskiddy

N56: Glenties - Dungloe (absolutely horrific road)

N86: Tralee - Dingle improvement scheme

M7 & M11: Widening to 3 lanes.

M8/N25: Dunkettle Interchange upgrade

I'd like to think either the N4 or N17 will see some upgrade in places too. Sligo to Castlebaldwin should be in with a shout. Colooney to Tubbercurry should be another.

Obviously it is of national importance to get the M20 and Galway Outer Bypass done but I reckon a few of the above will be done before them unfortunately. :( As others have said the M20 should be split into 2 sections. ~90km is such a huge project to get going all at once as it is proving to be. The northern section needs to be fastracked as Mallow-Cork is bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sponge Bob implies the M28 WILL be included, but only as far as Carrigaline. There is EU funding for this (as we know) but they'll get the same amount of money if they only go to Carrigaline as they will if they go all the way to Ringaskiddy. Apparently there's no need for a higher capacity road (yet) beyond Carrigaline - I don't fully agree with that, only between the (I think it's called) Shannonpark Roundabout and the N40 is definitely being done.
    Also he mentions the difference between PPPs and Capital Expenditure, so it's possible stuff like the Macroom bypass and other schemes will make it into the official announcement as well.

Although what's been mentioned so far is rather underwhelming (to say the least), I am really, really pleased that Adare is at long long last being done (even though it's very snakey the way they're doing it), it will make an enormous difference. In fairness the N21 needs to be totally upgraded between adare and Abbeyfeale - under capacity and full of bottlenecks. Getting Adare done will be a good start, especially if the bypass is indeed going to be motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The M28 needs to be done fully. Shanbally needs a bypass. The traffic through there at rush hour is shocking.

Cannot understand doing the M28 only as far as Shannon Park. Crazy decision if true. Another kick up the arse for Cork if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

What are the chances of the M11 being widened to three lanes on the bypass of Bray? It's a massive gridlock area where the M50 and N11 Merge.

Probably plenty of room to do it from Sandyford as far as the fassaroe exit but then it does get narrower when it downgrades to the N11 before the Bray south exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Antarctica wrote: »
    What are the chances of the M11 being widened to three lanes on the bypass of Bray? It's a massive gridlock area where the M50 and N11 Merge.

Probably plenty of room to do it from Sandyford as far as the fassaroe exit but then it does get narrower when it downgrades to the N11 before the Bray south exit.

there's a wide grass median all along that section, so probably space to upgrade to 3+3.

Surely N5 Westport to Turlough will be in the mix?
    Yes this will have started groundworks for spring next year. Fencing contractors will be starting soon and the CPO's are ongoing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is the N5 scheme planned for this programme down for a 2+2 upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

marno21 wrote: »
    Is the N5 scheme planned for this programme down for a 2+2 upgrade?

Yep, from what I gather any National Primary's will be 2+2.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Yep, from what I gather any National Primary's will be 2+2.
    Which begs the question, why was the Ballaghderreen bypass opened as S2 only 11 months ago if schemes either side of it are planned as 2+2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

marno21 wrote: »
    Which begs the question, why was the Ballaghderreen bypass opened as S2 only 11 months ago if schemes either side of it are planned as 2+2?

Think the Ballaghaderreen bypass was designed/planned a lot longer than Tralee or Longford was

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I think in practice they will choose a standard to build to on a case-by-case basis rather than making everything dual carriageways. Fair bit of Mayo-only N5 traffic and less heading to and from Longford and Dublin, source.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I certainly hope that 6-laning and rebuilding of the N11 at Fassaroe in Wicklow is something they do in the new programme.
    Just drove through it there at the weekend for the first time in a while, horrendous. Phantom traffic jam the whole way through, twisty, and loads of properties right next to the road.

Judging by Sponge Bob's post, it will be widened as far as J6 at Fassaroe, so only the M11 part.

Not sure what can be done with the N11 from J6 to J14 due to Glen of the Downs, Kilmacanogue and all the private entrances

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Any sign of this announcement being made?

Any sign of this announcement being made?
    Not till well into September, there's a spat between Labour and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yeah that's what I heard, FG want more money to be spent on roads than Labour do as they want the money to be spent on school buildings and stuff like that. Basically there's only so much money available and there's a spat over how much of it is for FG Departments (Justice wants a fair whack of money to update various Garda IT systems) and how much of it is for Labour Departments.

News on this finally in this weeks Mail on Sunday.

www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/iphone/homepage.aspx#_article1025323783

Plan so far seems to be M20, M7 widening, various N4/N5/N17 schemes, surprisingly centred around Co. Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Link broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

joujoujou wrote: »
    Link broken.
    does this work.
    http://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday/20150906/281487865120038/TextView

Article states a "part build" of the M20 is planned rather than a full upgrade, whatever that may mean.

The irish political solution would be to Dual the croom bypass and then you have a section of the M20 delivered.

(precidence for this is the endless list of dualed and widened stretches of road over flat ground done on the cheap in the pre motorway days to make an "impressive" road for consituents to marvel at, but shying away from the expensive newbuild of by-passes or through difficult territory which would make a far bigger difference to your journey)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

does this work.
    http://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday/20150906/281487865120038/TextView

Article states a "part build" of the M20 is planned rather than a full upgrade, whatever that may mean.

The irish political solution would be to Dual the croom bypass and then you have a section of the M20 delivered.

(precidence for this is the endless list of dualed and widened stretches of road over flat ground done on the cheap in the pre motorway days to make an "impressive" road for consituents to marvel at, but shying away from the expensive newbuild of by-passes or through difficult territory which would make a far bigger difference to your journey)

A decent part build would be to start just south of Mallow and link in with the start of the Croom bypass. Do the other 2 sections after.

That alone would make a monumental difference in the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

does this work.

Still can't read this link. any chance you could bullet or synopsise the points made. Very interested in M20 items

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

A decent part build would be to start just south of Mallow and link in with the start of the Croom bypass. Do the other 2 sections after.

That alone would make a monumental difference in the drive.

Absolutely. I could never understand why they didn't split the M20 project in to smaller, more deliverable sections. Proceeding with the stretch from the southern tip of the Croom bypass to the Burnfort/Mourneabbey junction to the south of Mallow makes the most sense as these provide relatively straightforward tie-in points.

This portion of the project would take Banogue, Charleville, Buttevant, the Ballybeg bends and Mallow out of the equation. It would also deliver the most benefits in terms of safety and journey time improvements!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vanquished wrote: »
    Absolutely. I could never understand why they didn't split the M20 project in to smaller, more deliverable sections.

At the time, it looked like there was money available for the lot - and smaller sections ends up costing more in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Absolutely. I could never understand why they didn't split the M20 project in to smaller, more deliverable sections. Proceeding with the stretch from the southern tip of the Croom bypass to the Burnfort/Mourneabbey junction to the south of Mallow makes the most sense as these provide relatively straightforward tie-in points.

This portion of the project would take Banogue, Charleville, Buttevant, the Ballybeg bends and Mallow out of the equation. It would also deliver the most benefits in terms of safety and journey time improvements!
    +1.

I cant copy the text off the article as it doesnt allow it. Theres very little in details more than I've typed anyhow, otherwise i'd have mentioned it!

Absolutely. I could never understand why they didn't split the M20 project in to smaller, more deliverable sections.

Back in 2000, that was exactly what was planned, but it seemed during the boom years that we could just build the lot in one go. Then that never happened and now we have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yes, it does. Thanks.

Very annoying way to read the whole thing.

Screenshots if anyone find them more handy:

362596.png

362597.png

362598.png

362599.png

362600.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

L1011 wrote: »
    At the time, it looked like there was money available for the lot - and smaller sections ends up costing more in total.
    spacetweek wrote: »
    Back in 2000, that was exactly what was planned, but it seemed during the boom years that we could just build the lot in one go. Then that never happened and now we have nothing.

In an ideal world it would've been delivered in one lot however an 80km motorway was always going to be a hugely ambitious project. Sadly the arse fell out of everything just as the preferred route was unveiled in the summer of 2008!

A bit of pragmatism wouldn't have gone a stray. They could have pushed on with at least the planning of the more critical middle portion instead of taking the nuclear option and canning the lot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement