Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Photography Course

Options
  • 20-08-2008 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am looking to do a course (beginners) in digital photography, can anyone recommend a good course in the Dublin area - evenings or weekends. My camera is a Nikon D40 DSLR.

Cheers,
    Neon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This Beginners Course will be running soon. It covers film & digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Thanks for the replies both courses look good..from an experienced photographers point of view (meaning you guys) is one better then the other in your opinion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am involved in the course at DCC, so I can only talk about that one.

The Beginner's Course is run twice a year, with two classes per night. At €100 for a ten week course it is a lot cheaper than other courses I have seen offered. It covers a lot of subjects, most of which are common to Film & Digital. They are;

Cameras & Equipment.
    Techniques of Exposure.
    Composing & Planning the Image.
    Digital Photography Camera & Computer Techniques.
    Developing the Negative.
    Darkroom Printing & Enlarging.
    Practical Workshop Sessions.
    Holiday & Travel Photography
    Landscape Photograpghy
    Beginner's Progress - Summing up

(Classes relevent to digital in Bold)

If you pay an extra €35 you get a one year membership to the club (noramlly €90 + €5 joining fee) which means you can attend the other workshops & events in the club has to offer.

The two classes on B&W Film are the only things not of interest to someone who is purely Digital, but if you have not done any wet photography before it is still very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

http://www.digitalbeginners.ie/courses/creative_night.htm

This is a great course, good notes, weekely evening classes and great field trips at the weekend. every week there is some C&C on a photo from each student from teh previous field trip, this is great for getting other peoples perspective on your shots and also seeing how other people saw different images in the same location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

I have not done either course but based on the fact that they do darkroom stuff I'd lean towards the DCC course. I have done film courses else where and even though I am someone who shoots just digital I LOVED the darkroom work. It may not apply for what you do day to day but I found it great fun and remember lots of features in photoshop and other applications are digital versions of what you can do in a darkroom so it's interesting from that perspective. I keep intending to go back to darkroom stuff but it's just too time consuming.

You can still do the digital beginners courses another time, but I think the DCC course is not run as frequently? (am I right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have done one of the advanced courses in digital beginners. It is a good course. I did feel though it touched on each of the subjects and if you wanted more in depth details on each subject you could then go to the next level course. It did however broaden my understanding of apereture and shutter speed. I feel a lot of my knowledge started with what I learnt there but I did need to work to develop further.

Cost wise possibly the dcc, it seems a bit more in depth also tbh. I wouldnt not recommend the digital either though.

DCC course is run twice a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Hi just quick question about the DCC, I've a film slr and was thinking of doing the course this september, I take it once you've done the course and paided the additional membership fee you can use the clubs darkrooms (and I presume they've a scanner for film negatives?)

DCC have two Darkrooms that can be used by members. When you first join you will need to use them when the Club is open. After 2 months you can apply to the Council for a key to the premises to allow access at other times.

There is also a Negative Scanner available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement