Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix 2008 Thread

Options
  • 21-09-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Draw for the WGP has been made with some good clashes in the first round, notably Barneveld vs. Tabern and Thornton vs. Manley

James Wade (3) v Tony Eccles
    Mervyn King v Wayne Jones
    Wayne Mardle (6) v Felix McBrearty
    Dennis Priestley v Denis Ovens
    Colin Lloyd (7) v Vincent van der Voort
    Mark Dudbridge v Kevin Painter
    Raymond van Barneveld (2) v Alan Tabern
    Adrian Lewis v Roland Scholten
    John Part (4) v Chris Mason
    Jacko Barry v Brendan Dolan
    Terry Jenkins (5) v Mick McGowan
    Mark Walsh v Steve Beaton
    Andy Hamilton (8) v Andy Smith
    Robert Thornton v Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor (1) v Ronnie Baxter
    John MaGowan v Colin Osborne

(Only took me five years to hit 300 posts)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some really good games in there. Really looking forward to this tournament and hopefully some of the Irish lads will still be in it when I go to the quarter finals! :D

Pity Jacko Barry got drawn against Brendan Dolan because one of them has to go out in the first round now but suppose there is a guaranteed Irish player in the second round now.

Some very tough games to call in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Sweet. Heading up for the first two days so looks like I'll see some good matches. :D

Thought Barney was out for a while so pretty happy I'll get to see him throw. Any of the Irish guys any good? Felix McBrearty - Great name! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Kazooie wrote: »
    Any of the Irish guys any good? Felix McBrearty - Great name! ;)

Mick McGowan and Jacko are serious players. Played Jacko a few weeks ago in the Shay O'Brien and while he was not at his best against me he picked up his form enough to go on and win it (very strong field it was too).

Surprised Shane O'Connor did not get a place in the field. He qualified for the PDC Worlds a few weeks ago in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Ya I know Mick McGowan alright. I'll keep an eye out for Jacko too.
    Now if only Bob Anderson was in the field it'd be perfect!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Expect Mick McGowan to go well, amazingly it's his first time to qualify for the Grand Prix and if he beats Jenkins in the first round he should make the quarters. My tip is for Barney to be beaten in the first round, Tabern is throwing serious darts and over the short format anything could and usually does happen.

Baxter is hitting some form this year too, be good to see Thornton go well but since I'm going up Wednesday and Thursday I'm gonna root for Manley just for the walk on.

Picks Below.

James Wade (3) v Tony Eccles
    Mervyn King v Wayne Jones
    Wayne Mardle (6) v Felix McBrearty
    Dennis Priestley v Denis Ovens
    Colin Lloyd (7) v Vincent van der Voort
    Mark Dudbridge v Kevin Painter
    Raymond van Barneveld (2) v Alan Tabern
    Adrian Lewis v Roland Scholten
    John Part (4) v Chris Mason
    Jacko Barry v Brendan Dolan
    Terry Jenkins (5) v Mick McGowan
    Mark Walsh v Steve Beaton
    Andy Hamilton (8) v Andy Smith
    Robert Thornton v Peter Manley
    Phil Taylor (1) v Ronnie Baxter
    John MaGowan v Colin Osborne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

It should be interesting to see how barney fares after his 2 month break. i think he needed it as his game had really dipped in the last 18 months since he won the World Champs.

I will be backing taylor as always (11/8 with SJ) but methinks this one could still throw a big surprise as i think for once some of the outsiders like Tabern, Baxter et all really have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Taylor @ 11/8 makes me think there is something really wrong with his game, considering he has won six of the last 10, and we all know the position he was in this time last year. Value-wise I'm still going to back it.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

The World Grand Prix -dunno where to start about this competition,used to really love it because it was in dublin,but i'm really p***ed off about it this year.think its going about 11 years now but this year its all different.before we (meaning the ordinary dart player)could qualify for this competition by winning through locally and get onto the stage,remember billy mattews,ok we're not gonna win it but imagine how billy felt,getting there on the telly.but because the pressure that was put on the pdc by the professional irish lads to have the top 4 irish ranked players go into the competition instead of having qualifers really f**ks me off.if these lads aren't good enough to win through on the day well tbh they aren't good enough to be there.people will say its there livelihood and they should protect it as a certain pdc player told me last week when i asked him about it,but that doesn't wash with me.the qualifers in croker was a buzz.bit of crack.all gone now though.used to always want the irish lads to do well,but really i care about them as they do about us,not much all respect gone.interested to hear what other people think about whats happened or their take on it.
    yeah, first time mick mcgowan qualified,mmmm wonder how!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i cant wait for this

going on the wednesday and im looking forward to some top darts

adie is back off his 2 month ban and hit a 9 darter in the champion league of darts thing, his reward was £50 for winning the leg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

DFD wrote: »
    The World Grand Prix -dunno where to start about this competition,used to really love it because it was in dublin,but i'm really p***ed off about it this year.think its going about 11 years now but this year its all different.before we (meaning the ordinary dart player)could qualify for this competition by winning through locally and get onto the stage,remember billy mattews,ok we're not gonna win it but imagine how billy felt,getting there on the telly.but because the pressure that was put on the pdc by the professional irish lads to have the top 4 irish ranked players go into the competition instead of having qualifers really f**ks me off.if these lads aren't good enough to win through on the day well tbh they aren't good enough to be there.people will say its there livelihood and they should protect it as a certain pdc player told me last week when i asked him about it,but that doesn't wash with me.the qualifers in croker was a buzz.bit of crack.all gone now though.used to always want the irish lads to do well,but really i care about them as they do about us,not much all respect gone.interested to hear what other people think about whats happened or their take on it.
    yeah, first time mick mcgowan qualified,mmmm wonder how!

I agree with you DFD. One of the best things about having this tournament in Ireland was that the average Irish thrower coukd turn up to the qualifiers and possibly play against the best in the world. It's a dream for all pub players to get to play on TV and this was the one big chance Irish players had. Now there is no way that I would have qualified but I went to the qualifiers one year and it was a great experience. It's something that would only make you better as a player to play in competitions like that.

I think the PDC were very wrong to let the top 4 Irish lads in. Maybe they could have let the top one or two in and still leave at least two places up for the grabs through the qualifiers. If the top Irish lads can't win through the qualifiers then they are not going to make much impression the main tournament anyway.

Bad decision by the PDC I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I agree with you DFD. One of the best things about having this tournament in Ireland was that the average Irish thrower coukd turn up to the qualifiers and possibly play against the best in the world. It's a dream for all pub players to get to play on TV and this was the one big chance Irish players had. Now there is no way that I would have qualified but I went to the qualifiers one year and it was a great experience. It's something that would only make you better as a player to play in competitions like that.

I think the PDC were very wrong to let the top 4 Irish lads in. Maybe they could have let the top one or two in and still leave at least two places up for the grabs through the qualifiers. If the top Irish lads can't win through the qualifiers then they are not going to make much impression the main tournament anyway.

Bad decision by the PDC I feel.

I always wanted to have a go at the qualifers..............just for experience more that anything..........terrible pity they are gone now.

This is a decision by the PDC that encourages players that play the circuit, not who just turn up one day and get a lucky break, lets face it the guys who've qualified in past years haven't exactly shrouded themselves in glory - Anto Mc Cracken springs to mind. I actually agree with the decision, it's great to see Mick McGowan playing in his home competition. He is the best Irish player and deserves to be there.

Anyone can get lucky on a day event, lets not forget how many times Taylor has been beaten in the first round even thought he showed some great form in the competitions leading up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Mick and Jacko should hopefully do well

Brendan Dolan has been mixing it with the best in the circuit of late and John Magowan had a 9 darter recently

There is no reason these boys cant make an assault on the home tournament

nhughes100 wrote: »
    This is a decision by the PDC that encourages players that play the circuit, not who just turn up one day and get a lucky break, lets face it the guys who've qualified in past years haven't exactly shrouded themselves in glory - Anto Mc Cracken springs to mind. I actually agree with the decision, it's great to see Mick McGowan playing in his home competition. He is the best Irish player and deserves to be there.

I understand all that and I agree to a point. As I said maybe 2 places could go to the top ranked Irish lads and the other to qualifiers. It costs an awful lot of money to play the circuit so it's understandable that these lads would want a shot at one of the majors but then you can look at it the other way that the likes of the pub players would never get to do the circuit so this would be their only way of getting to play in a major and possibly making the break through to be able to play the circuit. If a guy qualifies for the Grand Prix and wins a game then this can only encourage him to join the circuit and then that's better for Irish darts all round.
    MBC wrote:
    I always wanted to have a go at the qualifers..............just for experience more that anything..........terrible pity they are gone now.

Ah pity you never got to give it a go, was a great experience. I only gave it a go the year before it was done away with and I was really looking forward to giving it another go. Was something to practice for during the year and to dream about making the big time :cool:

Very annoying it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

nhughes100 wrote: »

Anyone can get lucky on a day event, lets not forget how many times Taylor has been beaten in the first round even thought he showed some great form in the competitions leading up to it.

In what aspect did Anto McCracken not shroud himself in glory. Did he not beat Mark Walsh in the first round that yr then lose 3-1 to a great in Anderson! He may be a bit unorthodox to watch but thats how he plays and anyone who has seen him play off the stage realises hes just passionate about the game! I agree about McGowan gettin his chance to shine at last but if he is as good as he seems to think then this would be his 3rd or 4th grand prix and not his 1st! Dolan v Barry is gonna be a great match though 2 players really hitting form. Tabern to beat barney and if Taylor can win through his 1st match then he will win it.

Can someone tell me is the 1st night in citywest monday or tuesday?

Cheers

mr.jingle wrote: »
    In what aspect did Anto McCracken not shroud himself in glory. Did he not beat Mark Walsh in the first round that yr then lose 3-1 to a great in Anderson! He may be a bit unorthodox to watch but thats how he plays and anyone who has seen him play off the stage realises hes just passionate about the game! I agree about McGowan gettin his chance to shine at last but if he is as good as he seems to think then this would be his 3rd or 4th grand prix and not his 1st! Dolan v Barry is gonna be a great match though 2 players really hitting form. Tabern to beat barney and if Taylor can win through his 1st match then he will win it.

Anto was obviously drunk, barely beat a man suffering with dartitis with the lowest average of the first round, decided to jump around like an idiot whilst Mark Walsh attempted to shake his hand. I can guarentee you he wouldn't beat Mark Walsh this year. The anderson game was painful and he hasn't done anything on the darts circuit since. It's nothing personal against him, I never met him but I thought his behaviour left a lot to be desired.

I fully expect Mick McGowan to get to the quarters at least, all the pro's hate the qualifiers as anyone can get lucky or have a bad day. Mick is a class thrower and had darts to beat Kirk Sheppard in the world championship this year(like everyone else lol) I really hope he does well.

MBC wrote: »
    Can someone tell me is the 1st night in citywest monday or tuesday?

Cheers

Monday is the first night MBC.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Monday is the first night MBC.

Cheers KingP.

Schedule of Play:

2008 Sky Poker World Grand Prix
    Monday October 6 2008 - Round One (Best of Three Sets) - 6pm-12am
    6.00pm James Wade v Tony Eccles
    6.40pm Dennis Priestley v Denis Ovens
    7.20pm Mervyn King v Wayne Jones
    8.00pm Colin Lloyd v Vincent van der Voort
    8.40pm Raymond van Barneveld v Alan Tabern
    9.20pm Wayne Mardle v Felix McBrearty
    10.00pm Mark Dudbridge v Kevin Painter
    10.40pm Adrian Lewis v Roland Scholten

Tuesday October 7 2008 - Round One (Best of Three Sets) - 6pm-12am
    6.00pm Mark Walsh v Steve Beaton
    6.40pm Andy Hamilton v Andy Smith
    7.20pm John Part v Chris Mason
    8.00pm Jacko Barry v Brendan Dolan
    8.40pm Phil Taylor v Ronnie Baxter
    9.20pm Robert Thornton v Peter Manley
    10.00pm Terry Jenkins v Mick McGowan
    10.40pm John MaGowan v Colin Osborne

Wednesday October 8 2008 - Round 2 (Best of Five Sets) - 7pm-11pm
    7.00pm Lloyd / van der Voort v Dudbridge / Painter
    8.00pm Wade / Eccles v King / Jones
    9.00pm van Barneveld / Tabern v Lewis / Scholten
    10.00pm Mardle / McBrearty v Priestley / Ovens

Thursday October 9 2008 - Second Round (Best of Five Sets) - 7pm-11pm
    7.00pm - Jenkins / McGowan v Walsh / Beaton
    8.00pm - Hamilton / Smith v Thornton / Manley
    8.45pm - Taylor / Baxter v MaGowan / Osborne
    10.00pm - Part / Mason v Barry / Dolan

Friday October 10 2008 Quarter-Finals (Best of Seven Sets) - 6pm-12am
    6.00pm - Part / Mason / Barry / Dolan v Jenkins / McGowan / Walsh / Beaton
    7.45pm - Lloyd / van der Voort / Dudbridge / Painter v van Barneveld / Tabern / Lewis / Scholten
    9.15pm - Hamilton / Smith / Thornton / Manley v Taylor / Baxter / MaGowan / Osborne
    10.45pm - Wade / Eccles / King / Jones v Mardle / McBrearty / Priestley / Ovens

Saturday October 11 2008 (Best of Nine Sets) - 7pm-11pm
    7.00pm - Semi-Final 1
    9.00pm - Semi-Final 2

Sunday October 12 2008 (Best of 11 sets) - 7pm-10pm
    7.00pm - Final

• Advertisement

Ah quality, there is no morning matches so I will get to see them all! I hate being stuck in work when there is Darts on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JUSTONE

Just saw a poster saying Terry Jenkins will be in the Elverys across from Liffey Valley this Friday afternoon October 3rd. You can meet him or if you're brave enough...take him on! Deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

What's the story with the Darts on Sky on Friday night?

The planner says a under 21 soccer match instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 goodforsomethin

yep seen that this morning ok i think there is a misprint cant believe they wont show quarter finals of the arrows

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

A few other forums are talking about it too, hopefully they will put the darts on sky sports news or xtra if they really want to show under 21 soccer.

Nice sig by the way Namesco, made me look twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

http://www.livesportontv.com/sportindex.php?id=2

looks to be on SKy Sports 1 every night, although I don't care about Friday cause I'll be out there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Is it true that Phil Taylor has a signing in Lifestyle Sports tomorrow(Monday)If it is true does anybody know what time hes there???

Thanks!!
    Maddie

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

Maddison wrote: »
    Is it true that Phil Taylor has a signing in Lifestyle Sports tomorrow(Monday)If it is true does anybody know what time hes there???

Thanks!!
    Maddie

yea he is in lifestyle on mary st mon ,,
    not 100percent on the time its either 1oclock -2oclock
    or 2oclock -3oclock
    just arrive out at 12 and ul b grand :D

There's no way that Sky won't show the Quarter Finals. They know they will get a much more viewers for the Darts than a U-21 match. I'm with Healio though, I don't care about Friday because I'll be in the City West!

Good Luck to Felix McBrearty tonight!

• Advertisement

Monday's First Round Results:
    Tony Eccles 2-1 James Wade
    Dennis Priestley 2-0 Denis Ovens
    Mervyn King 2-1 Wayne Jones
    Colin Lloyd 2-1 Vincent van der Voort
    Raymond van Barneveld 2-1 Alan Tabern
    Wayne Mardle 2-0 Felix McBrearty
    Kevin Painter 2-0 Mark Dudbridge
    Adrian Lewis 2-1 Roland Scholten

First shock of the tournament in the very first game as Eccles beat defending champion Wade. Eccles is a good player but that has to be one of the biggest wins of his career. Delighted to see Priestley back to good form, he won the Irish Players Championships on Sunday and looks in top form, hopefully he can go well. Lloyd finally manages to win a first round match after he has lost in all the majors so far. Barney looked excellent averaging 93 on a double start is very good darts! McBrearty gave Mardle a bit of trouble in the first set but it was plain sailing from there for Mardle. Good wins for Painter and Lewis too. Lewis plays Barney in Round 2 which sould be a good game.

Tonights Matches:
    6.00pm Mark Walsh v Steve Beaton
    6.40pm Andy Hamilton v Andy Smith
    7.20pm John Part v Chris Mason
    8.00pm Jacko Barry v Brendan Dolan
    8.40pm Phil Taylor v Ronnie Baxter
    9.20pm Robert Thornton v Peter Manley
    10.00pm Terry Jenkins v Mick McGowan
    10.40pm John MaGowan v Colin Osborne

Advertisement